• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Interchange Guide - Moved To A New Home! (See the Child Board Above)

Started by Haljackey, January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you found this guide useful?

Yes- very useful
256 (82.3%)
Yes- somewhat useful
44 (14.1%)
No- too simplistic
4 (1.3%)
No- too confusing
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 311

Rionescu

Under the Avenue x RHW button, there at the very end of the tab ring, so just Alt+Tab straight to them.

emgmod

Don't you mean Shift+Tab? Alt+Tab switches windows. :P

Rionescu

wyqtor

Forgive me if this is a dumb thing to ask - but where can I find a tutorial on how to make long acceleration/deceleration lanes for entrances/exits?

Haljackey

wyqtor I don't think they exist anywhere, but I can make one for you if you'd like.

Here's a basic rundown of building accel/decel lanes on a RHW-4.

1. Use the RHW-4 type "C" ramps to connect ramps to your highway. This gives you an additional lane when the ramp meets the mainline, turning it into a RHW-6S.

2. Drag the new RHW-6S for a few tiles. I'd say 7-9 tiles looks realistic for accel/decel lanes in SC4, but they can be as long or as short as you'd like.

3. When you're finished, plop a RHW-6S/RHW-4 transition piece where you want your accel-decel lanes to end.

It's as simple as that!

For added visual effects, you can use the RHW cosmetic pieces (the last RHW tab in the highways menu) to add dotted white lines for the accel/decel lanes as well as the transition.

If you need visuals to go along with this, let me know!

It's been a while since I updated this guide... I should get back to it lol. If anyone else wants to make RHW interchange guides, feel free to post them here! (I would recommend that you send me a PM with the guide so it can be polished before it's posted here.)

riiga

Section 8: Roundabout/Rotary Interchanges

Section 8.1 Basic Rotary Interchange

Start off by drawing two roads like a plus sign. I used 21x21 tiles.

Then draw the real roads, using the plus signs as a guide.

Use the RHW-4 starter pieces so that the roads become RHW-4 and are in the right direction (like in a roundabout).

Plop 8 smooth inner curves.

After completing the previous step, it should now look like this.

Now, add 4 90-degree MIS curves. Make sure they are in the right direction. (Use the DrawPaths cheat if unsure)

Plop 8 A-type inner ramps so that they connect to the MIS curves.

You're now done!

If you like, you can add some decorations. This is my final result.

Glazert

The final picture looks pretty, but I wonder whether it would match the traffic flow in many circumstances. Going straight ahead shares one turn-off, also with possible weaving issues, whereas turning left gets the two main lanes.

Haljackey

Nice guide riiga! The end result looks fantastic! I linked your post on the table of contents.
-One thing though, it should be section 8. Not sure why I said 10 lol. If you could change that in your post that would be great! (I would but I need moderator powers to do that.)

Glazert: This design is for very low capacity junctions. Not a single bridge/grade separation is used. Rotary designs vary from this to more roundabout-ish configurations. They are one of the most interesting, if not weirdest, junction types out there.

el_cozu

amazing... but how about orthogonal highways... instead of diagonal? how would that work... unless you turn those diagonal onto orthogonal past the interchange?

riiga

Quote from: el_cozu on October 22, 2010, 08:04:35 AM
amazing... but how about orthogonal highways... instead of diagonal? how would that work... unless you turn those diagonal onto orthogonal past the interchange?
That wouldn't work with the current version of the NAM. You'll have to make the transition after/before the interchange, since there exist no inside diagonal ramps yet.

MandelSoft

Or you have to work with OWR's. I often use this method:

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mightygoose

well i wanted to have ago at a diverging windmill and a diverging stack ( you don't list this but its incredible, it only requires two bridges (opposing carriageways of one of the highways) (four if you grade separate the weave) but i didnt realise that there was not a carriageway weave that doesnt have those ramps attached.

however since they are i managed to build a diverging cloverleaf..... can you tell me whats wrong with this picture :D

anyway more experimentation later.

so pieces i now wish to request.

an avenue at grade lane weave (no ramps)
an RHW4 grade separated lane weave (one elevated)(no ramps)
OWR wide radius curves.... (to be honest i am sure they are in there i just couldnt find them.)
a RHW4/RHW2 SPUI

done.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

MandelSoft

^^ The RHW-stubs are from the RHW-2, not RHW-4. This means the interchange won't work.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

I can tell you what's wrong: There are now four intersections that are controlled by traffic lights instead of just one in the middle. ;)
Andreas

mightygoose

Quote from: mrtnrln on November 02, 2010, 05:45:15 AM
^^ The RHW-stubs are from the RHW-2, not RHW-4. This means the interchange won't work.

why one earth are they like that if they are going the same way? to prevent weaving?

Quote from: Andreas on November 02, 2010, 05:47:20 AM
I can tell you what's wrong: There are now four intersections that are controlled by traffic lights instead of just one in the middle. ;)

very true.... neither was what i was talking about.

follow the paths.... i hope you like turning left, thats all you can do....

Tarkus

Quote from: mightygoose on November 02, 2010, 05:03:38 AM
OWR wide radius curves.... (to be honest i am sure they are in there i just couldnt find them.)

Actually, they aren't yet.  I had been working on some awhile ago, but they kinda got waylaid because of trying to figure out the wackiness with pathing and the OneWayDir command on the RUL end.  I do plan to revisit them, however.

-Alex

Haljackey

One question: why?

As Andreas said, a simple intersection would probably work better here. Besides Diverging Diamond pieces are one-way only, two-way connections don't work. In fact I don't even think two way roads can be supported by the diverging diamond design.

Still, very intriguing Goose. It boggles my mind.  %bur2$

mightygoose

sorry is not the rhw2 (supposedly the correct piece) two way?

woodb3kmaster

The RHW-2 is, but it isn't what's supposed to be attached to the DDI puzzle piece (that would be RHW-4).

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

GDO29Anagram

@mightygoose: You're supposed to connect RHW-4 to the RHW-2 ends of the DDI pieces. If it were me, I'd use RHW-4 curves and fillers for that. Those are the only substitute for the currently unavailable OWR-2 WRC.

Your setup is kinda tricky to follow since I'm not LHD but, oddly enough, it makes sense to me. I guess the only way to make it more practical is to upscale it from using Ave-4 to using RHW-4... And eliminating the intersection lights in the process... Right now, I just don't know how to do that on paper, let alone, doing that in-game...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums