• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Interchange Guide - Moved To A New Home! (See the Child Board Above)

Started by Haljackey, January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you found this guide useful?

Yes- very useful
256 (82.3%)
Yes- somewhat useful
44 (14.1%)
No- too simplistic
4 (1.3%)
No- too confusing
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 311

Haljackey

Thanks for the kind words, Christianicus and threbos. I'm glad you have found this guide useful!

Section Seven:  Diverging Diamond Interchanges (DDI)

I'm going to jump right from SPUI to the DDI as a lot of people seen to want to see how to build one. I might expand beyond basic SPUIs at a later time, and the same will go for the DDI.

Diverging diamonds are similar in appearance to simple diamonds, but they have a unique characteristic: they diverge. :P This is achieved by a major redesign of the intersections, allowing for all traffic movements to take place without crossing the other direction, except for the interchanging road itself. It intersects with the other direction and heads to the overpass in the opposite direction before heading back to the other side at the second intersection. (For right hand drive, from the right to the left to the right. For left hand drive, from the left to the right to the left.)

Sound complicated? Yes it does, but it's a rather simple interchange design when you break it down. I'll be showing you how to do it in a basic way, similar to how I built the Single-Point diamond interchange.

Section 7.1: Basic Diverging Diamond Interchange

Plop 2 diverging diamond pieces. These are found in the avenue/RHW puzzle pieces tab in the roads menu. The avenue stubs should be facing away. You need two tiles of empty space between them.
-I have the super gird turned on to show the two tile gap in greater detail.

Drag one-way road between the two pieces. Be sure they are going in the direction the arrows in the puzzle pieces show (the opposite way).

Place 4 ground to elevated RHW-4 pieces next to the one-way roads in the gap.

Drag your RHW and avenue.

Use 4 RHW-4 to MIS transitions at the ends of the diverging diamond pieces.

Curve your 4 MISs and drag them toward your RHW. I would suggest while you're at it create RHW-4 type "B" ramps right now as well by dragging parallel then diagonally from the RHW-4.
-As an alternative you can always plop 4 RHW-4 type "B" ramps.
-This is how I did it:

For more information on dragging ramps from your RHW-4 see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/SirdKOFtwzg
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirdKOFtwzg

...And there you have it. A fully functional basic diverging diamond interchange. If there are texture problems with the MIS networks, simply click on them with the RHW toll and they should fix themselves.

Hopefully this should help out those who are having trouble building this interchange type. Diverging diamonds have better capacity than their diamond counterparts, due to the fact that all interchange movements do not need to cross the opposite traffic flow.

RebaLynnTS

Just watched the secret weapon video . . . words escape me . . Wildly Over Whelming.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

MandelSoft

Hey, Haljackey, look at this post @ Simtropolis. Someone achieved to make a basket wave system with the new RHW 4.0  ::)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

emgmod

Oh hello there. :P
Basketweaves were also possible in 3.2 with the use of tunnels. I simply took advantage of the new features and made it 100% RHW with smooth curves/FARHW.

Haljackey

Quote from: mrtnrln on May 13, 2010, 01:46:22 AM
Someone achieved to make a basket wave system with the new RHW 4.0

Yeah, I've seen it, and it is very well done. RHW 4.0 has a lot more connectivity than the previous versions which allows junctions like a basketweave configuration to be made more easily and more realistically.

It's on my "to-do list" for this guide. I plan to show how make one at some point, unless someone beats me to it. It would also be useful to show in the guide "How to make a Multi-RHW with RHW 4.0".

The name of this thread was changed from "Haljackey's RHW Interchange Guide" to just "RHW Interchange Guide" a while ago to allow others to post their guides here as well. I'll add whatever guides are posted to the sticky post. I would suggest you send me your guide as a PM so it can be polished before it's posted here, however.

dragonshardz

Thank you so much for the SPUI/DDI guides. I tried to make a SPUI in my NAM Playground, and it was driving me crazy, since the readme's instructions were unclear at best.

EDIT: I also notice that some of your pictures from Photobucket are replaced with the "bandwidth exceeded" notice, specifically those for the Elevated Diamond interchanges.

LK703

haljackey,

First of all, thanks for this awesome guide!  Many of your interchanges on here have found their way into my cities.  ;D

I was reading the SPUI guide (thx, since I had no idea what to do with this piece) and had a thought...you mentioned that the MIS can't be directly connected to the avenue b/c it would create an intersection all the way across.  But what if you convert three tiles of the avenue to one-way's?  Then the MIS will only connect to one side.  It does take up a little more room, but it avoids the one-way stubs.

Thanks again for the great guide!

&apls   &apls   &apls

Haljackey

Quote from: LK703 on May 28, 2010, 06:28:35 PM
haljackey,

First of all, thanks for this awesome guide!  Many of your interchanges on here have found their way into my cities.  ;D

I was reading the SPUI guide (thx, since I had no idea what to do with this piece) and had a thought...you mentioned that the MIS can't be directly connected to the avenue b/c it would create an intersection all the way across.  But what if you convert three tiles of the avenue to one-way's?  Then the MIS will only connect to one side.  It does take up a little more room, but it avoids the one-way stubs.

Thanks again for the great guide!

&apls   &apls   &apls

Hey, thanks a lot KL703! Glad you have found this guide useful!

As for the SPUI, you're right! Converting the avenue to a OWR would allow for direct MIS connections for the outer ramps.

An additional way to do it is to connect the MIS to a OWR-1 which is found in the Network Widening Mod (NWM) and then connect that to the avenue. However I won't show how to do that in this guide because I want these tutorials to use as little plugins as possible to make them easy to follow.

Sorry there hasn't been a new guide in a while. SC4 is crashing for me as soon as it starts &Thk/( . Hopefully I'll get the problem fixed soon.  ::)

Highrise99

Quote from: Haljackey on January 26, 2009, 07:58:25 PM
Place the left RHW type "A" ramps next to the avenues in the RHW's median.
Are there right* RHW type A ramps for the RHW-10?

*I have LHD.

Haljackey

Quote from: Highrise99 on June 07, 2010, 01:13:54 PM
Are there right* RHW type A ramps for the RHW-10?

*I have LHD.

Which guide did you quote from?

Left ramps (so right if LHD) are only available for the RHW-4 network as of now.

Highrise99

Quote from: Haljackey on June 08, 2010, 11:53:58 AM
Which guide did you quote from?

Left ramps (so right if LHD) are only available for the RHW-4 network as of now.
Right* Exit/Entrance Diamond Interchanges

*LHD

Haljackey

Quote from: Highrise99 on June 13, 2010, 01:05:41 PM
Right* Exit/Entrance Diamond Interchanges

*LHD

Ah, there it is. For now I doubt left (right for LHD) ramps will be built beyond the RHW-4. Perhaps in the 5.0 series you will see some progress on this front. You won't know for sure unless you contact the developers about it.

May as well throw in this chart while I'm making a post here:

This shows the relative capacity and impacts of various parclo interchange types, compared with a diamond. Should be useful to those who want to get the most out of their interchanges, both capacity wise and realistically.
-I may attach it to the sticky post.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Haljackey on June 14, 2010, 01:44:14 PM
This shows the relative capacity and impacts of various parclo interchange types, compared with a diamond.

Ooh... I wonder,... Can you also compare DDIs and SPUIs with a normal diamond?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Haljackey

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 14, 2010, 02:06:03 PM
Ooh... I wonder,... Can you also compare DDIs and SPUIs with a normal diamond?

You could, but their size and shape is relative to the standard diamond interchange. Capacity may be a little different along with traffic progression / cross road, but the rest of the characteristics would probably remain the same.

MandelSoft

You might add one variable: size. For example, the Parclo AB is quite usefull if you don't have room at the other half of the motorway. Also, diamond interchanges are quite narrow.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 15, 2010, 12:10:04 AM
You might add one variable: size. For example, the Parclo AB is quite usefull if you don't have room at the other half of the motorway. Also, diamond interchanges are quite narrow.

Well, I would assume the size is covered under the "Right of Way" category. The Parclo A-4 requires a much larger right of way than the diamond because of it's size. Other parclos leave corners free, but still take up a lot of room on the sides they do take up. Diverging Diamonds and SPUIs would have a similar right of way that a diamond has, whereas a cloverleaf would need a right of way similar to the parclo A-4.

Lugnuts25

Thanks Haljackey, I really found these tutorials helpful for Getting used to RHW.  &apls They are very simple and easy to understand. Anyway here's a picture of a diverging windmill that I made:

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Can somebody help me by showing how to create interchanges with the new FLEXFly tool? I for the life of me cannot use this over any rhw lanes beyond rhw-4.  :bomb:
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Fresh Prince of SC4D on July 30, 2010, 05:13:55 PM
Can somebody help me by showing how to create interchanges with the new FLEXFly tool? I for the life of me cannot use this over any rhw lanes beyond rhw-4.  :bomb:

Well, maybe you should read the Readme:

FLEXFly, or the Flexible Flyover system and a component of WAVERide, is an overridable puzzle piece. FLEXFly EMIS-1 (15m) Type A can be found at the end of the RHW Curves Ring, is 4x4, and is a 90 degree EMIS-1 (15M) curve piece, with the yellow line on the inside. FLEXFly can currently pass over the following networks:

MIS-1
RHW-2
RHW-4
RHW-6S (Main Lanes ONLY, do NOT draw the shoulder, it will draw itself)
RHW-6C
RHW-8C

Essentially it will NOT go over RHW-8 or RHW-10. (I find that to be a drawback... Maybe in the next version...)

Though I would agree that there should be a tutorial that features the FLEXFly piece, though I'm not sure if this is the thread for showing a tutorial on just the FLEXFly... Maybe an interchange that uses it... I know of one that might: The T-Bone interchange.

Quote from: Haljackey on January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AM
T-Bone

Haljackey, you've posted it in the table of contents. Would such a tutorial be made?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

strucka

For some strange reason, I can't seem to find the DDI and SPUI parts. Where should they be located? Under which icon?