• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greenacre

Started by threestooges, December 24, 2008, 03:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kergelen

Nice update. I like the location of the village near the river and below the cliffs. Also nice cuerved road :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

noahclem

Great work on the creek  &apls  The original picture of the area was very nice but you've definitely taken the view up a notch here. I really love working with that new water too and plan on doing an update kind of like this one soon--if I can lay off the RHW for a bit  ;D

One thing I would suggest is adding a bit more flora to the area surrounding the creek. Girafe's seasonal and HD trees and cattails would look perfect and there's lots of good MMP stuff from other VIP members--including some nice fishermen that would compliment the earlier storyline.

Looking forward to more as always :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Now that creek is really amazing, no kidding. Very neat.

Quote from: threestooges on March 12, 2012, 12:22:13 AM
Willy (Swordmaster): Welcome to Greenacre. Yeah, it's sad that the routes have largely vanished, but if you want to see some of the remaining cars that are still operational, and run on a daily basis, pay a visit to the Orange Empire Railroad Museum if you're ever out by Perris, CA. It's a great step back in time to see what these old cars were really like. Thanks for stopping by.

Hey, thanks for that idea. I've only ever been to the East coast, so I still got a lot to see if I ever get to CA.

Apart from that, I live in a town where the old PCCs are still in use as well, although I actually find the American designs prettier. I bet they were too wide for European streets. Yet, I somehow hope they never replace them - I don't think they're planning to. Says a lot about the manufacturing standards of the 50s and 60s, these things never seem to break down. It's the same with the railroads - we're still driving machines built in 1955 here, and they're more reliable than those delivered last year. Strange world.

Cheers,
Willy

bat

The river and road is looking really nice.
Fantastic views of it.

Jmouse

You've done an excellent job on the creek, Matt. Those are some of PEG's rocks, aren't they? I'm eager to try out the new water pieces, too.

By all means, show us the updated campground. Personally, I don't care for flies, mosquitoes and things that crawl around in the dark. Give me home sweet home anytime. But campgrounds are pleasant to look at, and I'm sure yours will look great.

threestooges

Replies:
Kergelen: Thank you very much. It's more of a campsite than a village, but that will be made more evident after a few more updates. Glad you liked it. Also, since I think this may be your first post here, welcome to Greenacre!

Noah (noahclem): The game can do some wonderful things when it's left to its own views. I didn't change this picture much (if at all) from the rain image. That's about what it looked like before I added all the effects to it. Truly a testament to the custom content creators out there that made these things in the first place. Don't stop with the RHW yet, I'm loving it.

Willy (Swordmaster): Glad you enjoyed. The PCC's around here, when they were in use, were largely narrow gauge track. Width-wise, I think they'd fit fine on European streets. I think the main difference in the aesthetics came from the desire to have the US car styles match the new-fangled "bus" that was coming into play at the time. I'm not familiar with Europe's PCC development. What was going on there around the time they were conceived that may have influenced their design?

bat: As always, great to see you here bat, and thanks.

Joan (Jmouse): those indeed are (mostly) Peg's rocks. The rock cluster works really well as a gap filler. It has a large-ish footprint, but a small plop size so you can cluster things around it, or it around things. I'm still trying to find the blend of rocks and rock mod that flow best together, but there's plenty out there to choose from, so I'd love to hear your thoughts about what blends well and doesn't. Looking forward to seeing your work with them too.

I appreciate all of the posts you all have left. That being said, I would like to thank you all for taking this journey through Greenacre with me. It's been a fun road to take along the way, and I appreciate you coming along for the ride. However, after three years of keeping it going, it's been going less and less these days. I know I haven't had as many updates as I would have liked, and it's not fair to you all. So as a result, I will be closing Greenacre; ending it here.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
-Matt

By the way, April Fool's Day here still has another three hours to go. Still working on the next update. I'll hopefully have something more complete to show tomorrow.

You're not getting rid of me that easily.
-Matt

woodb3kmaster

:O

You had me going for a moment there, Matt. Glad to see that it's just an April Fools' joke, though; Greenacre is getting too good to simply end it here. I look forward to seeing where that stream is headed!

Zack

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Swordmaster

Quote from: threestooges on April 01, 2012, 09:30:25 PM
I appreciate all of the posts you all have left. That being said, I would like to thank you all for taking this journey through Greenacre with me. It's been a fun road to take along the way, and I appreciate you coming along for the ride. However, after three years of keeping it going, it's been going less and less these days. I know I haven't had as many updates as I would have liked, and it's not fair to you all. So as a result, I will be closing Greenacre; ending it here.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
-Matt

Okay, you had me there... for a second.  ;D

Willy (Swordmaster): Glad you enjoyed. The PCC's around here, when they were in use, were largely narrow gauge track. Width-wise, I think they'd fit fine on European streets. I think the main difference in the aesthetics came from the desire to have the US car styles match the new-fangled "bus" that was coming into play at the time. I'm not familiar with Europe's PCC development. What was going on there around the time they were conceived that may have influenced their design?

I personally do think it had to do with street width. Trams here are narrow-gauge as well, but given that some streets here are even one-way out of necessity, I bet from what I've seen that most American designs would have been too wide. Cf. this image:

(pic by Gerard Stolk on flickr)

Buses have never been a real competition for the city trams, since they're too wide as well. But I'm by no means a tram expert, so it's more of a guess on my part.

Cheers,
Willy

noahclem

Hehe, you scared the crap out of me too!  :D  Nice one  ::)

Beautiful WIP there BTW, you've given it such a lush, verdant feel  &apls I look forward to seeing how it turns out  :thumbsup:

RickD

I actually believed you. I should have exoected something like this, but april fools day is already over here.  :P
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Jmouse

Shame on you for scaring me like that, Matt! Besides, I think you know what would – or wouldn't – happen if you give up on Greenacre.

I hope to be working with the same water soon, and I'll be trying different combinations of rocks. I'll show and tell after I do some experimenting.

I'm not crazy about the PEG rocks piled against the cliff, but I'm not sure yet what would look better. It's the very problem I'm currently working on, though, so I'll discuss it with you when I get farther along. It's quite different from – and a bit more of a challenge than – decorating the edge of a pond or creek.

As always, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Greenacre...
-Joan

rooker1

That was not funny.....had me going.

Robin &sly
Call me Robin, please.

threestooges

Zack (woodb3kmaster): Heh, what can I say? I saw the date and couldn't resist. Ultimately, the stream is heading toward the ocean, but it'll take a while to get there. Right now I'm going to stick around the campground. That said, it might be kind of interesting to follow it all the way down to the ocean. Who knows what would be found on the way. Happy Easter, and don't worry, Greenacre won't be going anywhere for a while if I have anything to say about it.

Willy (Swordmaster): They do seem a bit narrower. You wouldn't happen to have the measurements of one of the cars, would you? They look shorter in length for sure; I'm guessing you have some tight corners around there? I can dig up the specs for the US models. I'd be interested to hear how it shakes out across the way there. Glad I didn't fool you for too long. Happy Easter.

Noah (Noahclem): Heh, what can I say? I couldn't resist. Rest assured I have no plans to end Greenacre anytime soon. That being said, your wait to see how the area is turning out should be short, as I'll be getting back to it today. Always good to see you here, and Happy Easter.

Rick (RickD): That's what makes it all the more unexpected. Though I'm not sure who I should take everyone thinking I'd be shutting things down here so soon, heh. Glad to see it worked though. Happy Easter.

Joan (Jmouse): Have to keep you on your toes. Though, as for what *wouldn't* happen, you have me confused, though I can speculate, and if it has to do with one of your projects, I can't say I'd be thrilled by it. Wouldn't stop me from bugging you about it though.

I have a feeling you'll have fun with the water; knowing your meticulous attention to detail, it's going to drive you nuts though. Trying to pick which piece to use in the set for each part gets tough, and to fix one piece usually means destroying three others. As you may have noticed, the stream gets a bit lazier in its construction as it goes (in terms of "picking the right piece").

The thing I've been struggling with between the rocks and rock mod, is trying to find colors which blend well together. The gray rocks against the white-ish cliff is a bit awkward. I've started trying to blend a few colors together. It helps with the visual variety and may just blend the boulders in as well. Looking forward to seeing the products of your experimentation. Happy Easter.

Robin (rooker1): Did you expect anything less from me? I'm surprised you thought I was going away that easily. Rest assured I plan to be at this for a while to come.

I'm not sure whether I should be pleased or worried that I got so many people to think that I was closing down Greenacre, heh heh. Figured it'd be fitting for the day. But don't worry, Greenacre will be around for a while if I have anything to say about it.

Now then, as for Greenacre, as indicated, here's the continuation of the campsite redevelopment.

This is where we are now:

Ol' Doc Hackenbush's campsite is going to be getting a bit of a facelift. I really like the Newman Inc. lot set that the current site is based on. It's well assembled, and has some nice models and seasonality. However, it suffers from the mega-lot crime issues, didn't blend well with the flora surrounding it (and I didn't want to get into the Lot Editor), and didn't feel quite as fluid as a campsite.

So Doc Hackenbush is starting from scratch. First up was the parking lot (or lack thereof). Yes, it's paved, it's lined, and provides space for 51 vehicles (no RVs or caravans). There's also a small visitor's center/ranger station, as well as a tower that, during the day, provides people a nice view down the valley.

Here's the valley with all of the old buildings removed. Plenty of land to work with. Grid on, so I can see just how much space I'm working with.

The first part of the campsite is a collection of tent sites and the park's firepit/amphitheater in which nightly stories are told, song sung, and marshmallows toasted. Always having been one for theatrics, Doc. Hackenbush installed some stage lighting in the watch tower to add the proper mood to the stories at night. Due to the production of the show, the tower is closed after sunset.

Moving on down the way are the more "upscale" accommodations. Featuring a tried-and-true blueprint from JMS Designs, a division of NUTCorp, these multi-room cabins are great for family gatherings, corporate retreats, or large parties in general. There's plenty of room between them, so the noise is minimized.

Now, as for getting around the facilities, it used to be that you could drive right up to your cabin. It proved problematic after rains, and cars were always getting stuck. Maintenance proved tough too, as the roads were constantly rutted. Now, pedestrian paths take campers to and from their destinations. It adds to the woodsy feeling.

The cabins have their own paths as well, and you'll also note a hiking path along the creek too, denoted by a darker dirt that was used.

So here's where the redevelopment has led us so far:

Popping down stream a bit, there's still plenty of room left; but what's going to go in there? Thoughts are welcome, as development is still progressing. Doctor Hackenbush is fairly flexible there. He's planning a hiking path, but beyond that, he's kicking around a few ideas.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it all.
-Matt

noahclem

Great redevelopment  &apls  I particularly like the "up-scale" accommodation from JMS Designs. The new layout of the area seems very nice--I'm curious to see how you'll fill it with flora without hiding all the lovely elements you've created. A walking trail seems like a nice use for the extra space--maybe horse-accesible as well? My only other idea so far is an archery range.

Btw, this area looks like a bit of a flood hazard--I hope there are good safety/evacuation plans in place  ;D

Jmouse

I haven't made much progress with the rocks yet – been busy elsewhere. I tend to spend several days on one thing, then switch gears and do the same with another project. At the moment, I'm the process of creating a brand new plugin folder. So far, I'm only up to page 100 on the LEX and still have 200+ more to go.

The campsite is looking great, Matt, and I like the idea of walking paths. I'm firmly opposed to having motor vehicles in an area where people come to retreat from the smog and pollution in town. Is there a restaurant, and various sundries like toothbrushes for sale in the visitor's center? The cabins have a small kitchen, a "living room" and sleeping accommodations for at least six people. Eight if they're all good friends. Is outdoor cooking allowed near the cabins?

The little tent city is appealing, and I've always liked the amphitheatre. It looks like Doc Hackenbush has made a lot of progress, and still has more to do. I think Noah is right about the archery range, and maybe some other entertainment venues would be nice as well. How far from the nearest town is the campground?

I'm eager to see where you go with this next...
-Joan

bat

It's looking really nice. ;) The river is nice, too. :thumbsup:

Shark7

First off, let me say that the last little river-side village is very well done.  I really like the way you've made use of the MMPs.   :thumbsup:

However, having gone through one before, a flood in that valley is very possible...I think I'd build my house on top of the hill/cliffs.  ;)

art128

Oooh~ Nice camping site you've started developing there, Matt!

I've never been in a camping location, so I couldn't tell you if it's properly planned or not.. But from what I've seen in photographs, it appears to be right!

I like its location, just between a cliff and the river, somewhere where building anything else would have been almost impossible. Nice choice.

Looking forward for more pictures of it. :)

-Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

threestooges

Let's see here... April... May... June... July... I wish someone would remind me it's been too long between updates. Off we go!

Replies:

Noah (noahclem): I need to get around to BATting an archery range, or at least the bits and pieces. That shouldn't be too hard to do. It'd be a great addition. Not sure where I'd put the stables, but I think horses would be a great addition as well. In a way, I want to hide some of the details with the flora. I know I want it all to be there, but I kind of like the idea of things barely seen, that depth of detail. It's hard to achieve without hiding everything entirely, but time will tell if I'm able to pull it off. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best flora mix. As for a flood hazard... um... yes. Yes it is.Haven't figured out a good way around that, but who wants to go camping during the rainy season?

Joan (Jmouse): Well, speaking of switching gears, here comes something completely different. As for the campgrounds, outdoor cooking is allowed. There's enough of a setback maintained on the campsites that it's unlikely for anything to be set ablaze. Besides, who wants to go camping if they can't roast a marshmallow or two right outside? The nearest town is deceptively close, about 20 minutes. That's part of the beauty of the canyon location: the bright lights of the city are greatly muted. On an overcast night, they can reflect a bit, but usually they're not noticeable.

bat: Thanks for the comment bet. Glad you liked it, and always good to hear from you.

Shark7: Thanks for the comments and welcome to Greenacre. A flood is certainly possible, especially since spring thaw is what helps fuel the waterfall in the area. Flooding is rare, but storm warnings are announced and the campground can be closed if need be. There are no long-term residents there. Having been through a flood as well, it's not a good thing, but the campground is elevated enough that it would take some significant storming to have the creek swell to that side.

Arthur (art128): From the campgrounds I've been to, there's a bit of planning and a bit of "eh, this'll work here." Not sure if it's properly planned either, but it's been working out so far. I'm still stuck figuring out the best flora mix to use, but in the meantime, we're off to explore more of Greenacre.

So, I've stalled out in the flora department. I'm trying to figure out the best mix to use for each area, so rather than bore you all with that, I've moved on to a new area for now. We're going back to check out the new expansion going on at Cliffton University.

There was a vacant field near the school that had been sitting vacant for a few years now. Not much there but the old water tower. Cliffton, in a deal with the local city counsel, agreed to build facilities which would be used for K-12 education in addition to expanding the Cliffton campus.

The first step was to figure out what sort of building would fit the bill.

I liked this second one, but for the space available, it just didn't work for what the university reagents had in mind.

This has always been one of my favorite designs by JBS Architecture, but it's hasn't found the right spot yet.

The first one combined the proper mix of architectural aesthetic and size, and a second building in similar style quickly followed suit.

An outdoor patio for student dining, as well as the first go at landscaping along the avenue. The hedge is on its way out though.

With a paved parking lot, the younger students have somewhere safe to play when out at recess. The fence should do well to keep them out of traffic.

Those playing soccer or frisbee on the field there should be wary of errant shots however. There's no longer a hedge, but there's also no fence to stop things rolling down that hill.

Filling in the area: paths and open grass.

This is where the current border of Cliffton University. Now that the expansion is well underway, this border will have to be dealt with.

First the trees are removed.

Then the paths and roads are joined, completing the expansion.

One last educational building and some landscaping to replenish the surrounding forest.

The area overall:

The area at sunset:

And at night:

So that wraps up the Cliffton University expansion for this time. There may be more in store as the university capitalizes on the growing population around it. We'll get to that later though.
-Matt

CasperVg

The expansion of Cliffton Uni looks really good, I like the way you integrated sports and leisure areas into the design, as well as the fitting architecture styles
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube