• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Take a Tour!- An MD of the Mid-Atlantic U.S.

Started by Travis, March 03, 2007, 09:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinz

Quote@Heinz, Thanks! After havin' a look at those links, I have found the Philippines to be a beautiful country. I must visit there someday. 

that said, i would love to take you around the Philippines. heck, if you need a place to stay, we have a guest room you can stay in. i believe you will enjoy your stay if ever you do come over.

in one of the pics by the beach, picture#3... some houses have backyards that end too abruptly. here i am again with things ending too abruptly. lol. anyway... some rocks would hide the edges, imo. otherwise... great work and detail on the seafront and its vicinity. your terraforming seems to lead to good things yet to come, my friend. gentle rolling hills and other features should make it more lively. good luck!

Travis

It's time for the long-awaited update...

But first, a reply...

@Heinz, yeah, If I ever come over, I'll be sure to sign you on as my tour guide.  ;)
Anyway, the lots ending too abruptly is a result of the SC4 grid, and hence, unavoidable. However its easily fixable...

Here's the original pic for reference...

A few additions...

...and we're done. What do you think?
Anyway, thanks for your support. We've been in a bit of a dry spell lately, since the MD re-organization,
but things should pick back up soon.

Anyway, I've been bedridden with a sprained ankle the past day and a half, so I've had a good chance to get the ball rolling on
my new region. I'm not completely done with the terraforming yet, but it's not critical so I'll get it
done when I can get to it. What I have been doing is working on the preliminary backstory and development plan, which we'll have a look at now...

If I haven't said it before, I don't have Photoshop or Paint shop; for my photo editing I have to use a number of smaller programs,
such as the GIMP. I'm not that good with photo editing to start with, so bear with me here...

Finally, the development plan...

Radston Metro Area (RMA)

When I start a new region, I usually have a US city for a size model. In this case, the size should be something along the lines
of Richmond, Virginia. Nothing being recreated here, just a size model. Okay, lets get the rundown
of all the cities and towns you see in the above development plan:

Radston: The urban center and the region's business hub. Population around 350,000 or so. Will have a dense,
mid-sized urban core, traditional urban residential development around. Will also have an International Airport, an interstate highway spur,
and a huge train terminal.

Flag River: Established small city. Population around 50,000. Small business district surrounded by residential and some industrial.
Has a small riverfront shipping port.

Silver Shores: Beachfront boomtown. Mostly tourist oriented, has a few hi-rise hotels and condos.
Has Interstate access. Population about 35,000.

Whitewood: Suburban-commuter town. Has Interstate access. Pop. about 15,000.

Harrison: Suburban sprawl-commuter town. Small commercial strip. Has Interstate and Interstate spur access. Pop. around 17,000.

Mortonville: Suburban small city. Satellite/interstate commercial district*. Has Interstate access. Population around 22,000.

Newburn: Industrial revolution-era town. Small number of factories, rail lines. Pop. near 20,000.

Oakford: Suburban sprawl/beachfront town. Big box stores/suburban commercial strip. Part of Radston Marshes Wildlife Refuge. Pop. 15,000.

*A satellite commercial district (in here, at least) is a sort of outer downtown, usually near a major transportation facility, such
as an airport or Interstate highway.

Okay, that about does it for today. I'm working on more maps, and the beginning of development isn't far off...

And folks, I'd really appreciate it if you would take a couple minutes out of your day and let me know what you think of this MD. I'd love
to hear what you have to say.

Later.

:thumbsup:

Pat

WOW Travis some great works here!!!
I so love the rivers/streams spawning off next to Oakford.
See ya's sooon - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Heinz

Quote...and we're done. What do you think?

now that's what i'm talking about.  :P good job.  $%Grinno$% well, not that i'm mr. perfect or being a know-it-all.. but constructive criticism never hurt anyone. and you've done a good job to hide the flaws.  &apls

the new region is looking good.  :thumbsup: your map is your own? looks like a vast expanse of plains.. perfect for all out development. i wish you well with this new venture. see you around

Travis

Hello everyone.

I've been busy starting off development, which is difficult to get rolling when you start a new region from scratch.

For those that don't know, I posted a picture yesterday in the SC4 Picture Competition, with which I
won two rounds and fell just 3 votes short of their Hall of Fame. Here's that pic again:

Anyway, time for replies...

@Pat(patfirefghtr), Thanks! Those streams are, in fact, marshlands, and they took forever to terraform. Glad you like them!  :)

@Heinz, Thanks! Believe me, your criticism is greatly appreciated. And yes- the map is hand made. I wonder if I should release it?
In fact, most of it is a floodplain, and a fair-sized portion of it is marshland.  :) Thus, there will be very few hills. See you later.

Getting to the update, today we'll look at some pics of early development in the central city, Radston. It has taken me more
than two weeks to select the buildings for its' CBD, but I think the result is turning out okay.

One final note, you won't see everything until each city/town is fully developed. Until then, I'll show bits and pieces.
My plan is, when everything is finished, to go back and present all the in-process pics I took, the ones you didn't see.
With that, the plan should provide updates for a long time.

The pics...

#1. The map guide...

#2. And the interchange...

#3. The selected large rail terminal...

#4. Another angle...

#5. A quick glimpse of Downtown...

#6. A part of Interstate 218, which provides direct access to the CBD...

Okay, that's all for now. I probably was going to post more, but I'm so sleepy I can't remember.  :P

I'm planning on attempting some road maps, and also keep an eye out for a potential new "Show us" topic, with an
idea that's been floatin' around in my head.

In the meantime, you all have a great Friday night Saturday morning.

Later.

P:S, I'm sorry if my updates are always on the short side picture wise. I have way too many ideas in my
head, much too little ability to create them all.

Pat

Travis OMG man that had to been nuts i wouldn't mind to take a closer peek at the marshlands.
Cause dang the Ariel view is astonishing wow.  This update is as well very good and i do like it.
Keep up with them idea's and see ya's soon - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Great pictures and wonderful work!  :thumbsup: Looking forward to more!

BigSlark

I just read your whole MD and I'm very impressed. Keep up the great creations and excellent use of custom content.

Cheers,
Kevin

Travis

Update time...

First off, though, some replies...

@pat(patfirefghtr), Thanks! Did you say close-ups?

Well, we got 'em...

If you want more, all you have to do is ask. There's plenty more where that came from.  ;) Anyway, come again soon!

@bat, Thanks bat!

@BigSlark, Thank you! Did you happen to find my MD through the link in my sig? Anyway, visit again soon!

On to the update...

I'm working on residential development, hi-rise tenements and apartments.
Bit by bit, its coming along. I've still got a long way ahead of me though...

#1. Housing not far from downtown...

#2. More tenements...

#3. Transition to low-rise apartments...

#4. Another angle...

#5. A Hospital, offices and train terminal...

#6. Opera house on the edge of the CBD...

#7. A stadium...

#8. Interstate 218 terminates into Ocean Avenue...

#9. Downtown Ferry and rail terminal...

#10. One more tenement view...

I know, folks. I'm kind of keeping you all in the dark when it comes to overviews, I'm going for the "mystery effect" with
this region. When I've got a reasonable amount done, I'll give you a "puzzle update", in which I'll give you overviews of all
the rest I've shown previously. Should be back this weekend, I'll give you the rundown of the region's transit.

Later.

emilin

Looking good! :thumbsup:

Now you have to tell me what that yellow boat on the ferry terminal is and where you found it, or I won't be able to sleep tonight. ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

mark

Looking good Travis :thumbsup:

could you tell me in the second picture down from your april 10th update are the two small boats on the beach plopable's ? and where can they be found please ?

Mark

Travis

An update...

To start, a pair of replies...

@emilin, Thank you! That yellow ship comes with This Ferry Terminal. Hope you didn't miss too much sleep!

@mark, Thanks! Those boats can be found in This pack. Visit again soon!

Here's today's "road map" style update.

For a good reference for today's update, scroll up and compare it to the development plan.
I've got a couple, really crude maps to show, and some info and backround concerning them to present.

Here's the first. A road map...

That's on the small side, so I recommend the larger version: http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?image=radstonmetroarearoadmapuw9.jpg
I only listed the major roads, which doesn't include all the downtown one-ways. We'll have a closer look at some of these...

Interstate 18, the main artery, is a sort of perimeter highway, with almost all of the development of the region occurring inside of it.
It also resembles the way many major US interstates tend to bypass cities, such as the case with Savannah, Georgia for example.
Its connections are as follows:
US-437 in the town of Newburn
SR-74 in the city of Mortonville
SR-262 in the town of Harrison
I-218 in the town of Harrison
...there will be a few more in the towns of Whitewood and Silver Shores, but aren't built yet.

I-218, the business district spur, connects Downtown Radston with I-18. It also serves Radston International Airport.

US 37, commonly known as Ocean Avenue, follows right along the beach all the way through the region. It serves as primary
access to Radston for a large number of residents who can't get there by highway. Was primary travel route
throughout the region before I-18 was built.

Alright, we'll get to our next map now...

It's a map to the region's major transportation facilities. Here's the key...

A: Radston International Airport (RIA) (Serves entire region)

B: Cruise Docks, passenger port

C: Central ferry terminal

D: Union Station, large passenger depot

E: Flag River shipping & industrial port (Serves Radston, Newburn, Flag River)

F: Flag River cargo & freight rail depot

G: Flag River Municipal Airport (Serves Flag River, Newburn, Oakford)

Whew, that was sure a word-filled update. To close out, here's a distant region view and a couple completely random pictures...

The Radston Metro Area to date...

A nice neighborhood...

Up the street...

Okay, that's all for today's update. I'll have more development to show later this week.

In the meantime, have a nice Sunday evening.

Later.

pickled_pig

Very nice roadgeekery-filled update, though I am confused on how an even-digit 3di (3-digit) interstate can be a spur, because in the US system only 3di interstates that begin with an odd number are spurs.  I'd strongly suggest changing I-218 to I-118 or I-318 in the name of realism.

I'm really impressed by what you did with cp's low-wealth 19th century houses.  I just got my first low-wealth one to grow today, so I've a ways until I can creat such great-looking neighborhoods!

-aaron

Flipside

Travis, I love it ... your cluster of tenements downtown is really well done. And you use Frogface's Garibaldi Arms too, just like me.  ;D

One question .. what is that blue and white tenement beside the Frogface Arms?

realdimension

Fantastic work  &apls

I have really appreciated the tropical island and your last neighborhood, that's so scenic!
The Radston's downtown is very nice.
Member of the TSC team.
Visit my showcase of modern towers!

Travis

Gosh, its been more than 10 days since my last post, I'm sorry, but I've been taking my time with the city-building, the urban areas outside of
Downtown in particular. I want to get it right this time, no more pics of half-built development. You know how it is.

I have good news though- summer for me begins in a few weeks, and once I get into the swing of things, I'll be posting
updates 3+ times a week, and big ones too, so hang in there.  ;)

This isn't even a real update, just wanted to let you know I'm still alive over here.  :P

Now we'll reply to a few comments...

@Aaron, Thank-you! And yes, that was kind of a dumb mistake on my part. Must have slipped my mind, for I am fairly familiar
with highways. As a matter of fact, I've traveled I-95 between Florida and the north 3 times in the past six months.  :thumbsup:  Anyway, from now
on, It'll be known as I-318. Thanks for the compliment on c.p.'s houses too- they've been growing like weeds for me. Come again soon!

@Flipside, Thanks! I'm really liking those Garibaldi Arms as well. That blue & white tenement you spotted is here: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=17314 Come again soon!

@realdimension, Thanks!

Okay, a couple teaser pics to show...

A major time-eater so far is building this riverfront...

This is part of an older downtown, it was the primary business district before the skyscraper boom of the 70's...

Another one...

Okay, I'm working on a real update hopefully for this weekend. I've done a large city park, a riverfront district, and part of a secondary downtown.
Hopefully I'll have enough progress to present by this weekend. In the meantime, I'd appreciate some comments and suggestions.  :thumbsup:

Later.

bat

That are wonderful new pictures! Great work! :thumbsup:

Pat

Travis i totaly agree that those are some great new pics you have there and the update as whole is great, look forward to more - pat

Travis

Big update today...

Let's get to those replies first...

Bat, Thank you, bat!

Pat, thanks to you too, pat.

^Heh, bat and pat... ;D

Well folks, this is the update you've all been waiting for. I've made a lot of headway in the past two weeks since my last update.
This has been a work-in-progress since March, I really hope you enjoy it. Without further ado, I present to you...

The City of Radston

Another view, in the daytime...

Some office buildings...

The heart of Downtown...

Inland a bit...

The Oceanfront...

Lamposts light an empty plaza...

The BellSouth Building overlooking Oceanfront Plaza...\

Looking south...

On the boardwalk...

A glimpse of sunlight stretches across a park...

I hope you all enjoyed it, I consider it to be the best update I've posted so far, but I want to hear what you have to say about it!

I'm still working on the Riverside District, which is where I'll probably take you for the next update. In the meantime,
I'd love to read some comments.  :thumbsup:

Later.

bat

fantatastic pictures of the downtown! :thumbsup: &apls