• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Commonwealth of Eleutherian States (Updated 11/23)

Started by M4346, July 27, 2008, 11:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTeaCat

WOW

Superb presentation, great details and excellent pictures to boot &apls &apls &apls

Your academic skills are showing through. Enough info at the start to get me hooked,
plenty of visuals and an extra mini update thrown in.

I think your future students are going to be the lucky ones :D :D

Till the next eagerly awaited update

Regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

CasperVg

That looks very good, I like those slum lots very much, and, while I'm pretty sure I have them installed, I have never got them to grow yet (because I usually set Low Wealth taxes to 20%  ::)). The railroad passing through the pictures looks very good as well. Can't wait to see more!

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

sebes

Wow M -you're back MD'ing. Wonderfull, and what an MD this is....

I was thinking about a political update for my MD too, but now I will even have to add the stats of the results of the elections...You raised another bar for us here man.

The made up story is great too, as are the shown pictures. I am in love with the emperor already... It's time that NN and the ES will bond I guess ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

M4346

5. Kukuwa, Borno - Bordering the Sahel

Today our travels take us to the North East of Eleutheria in the State of Borno and to the Local Government Council of Kukuwa.

Kukawa (previously Kuka) is a town in the northeastern Eleutherian state of Borno, close to Lake Chad.

The town was founded in 1814 as capital of the Kanem-Bornu Empire by the Muslim scholar and warlord Muhammad al-Kanem after the fall of the previous capital, Ngazargamu, conquered in 1808 in the Fulani War. The town had great strategical importance, being the southern terminal of an important trans-Saharan trade route to Tripoli. The town was taken in 1893 by the Sudanese Rabih az-Zubayr, and then by the British in 1902.

Historically the city was much larger than today, with a population estimated by the British at 50,000-60,000 in the late nineteenth-century.

We'll actually be focusing more on an area further north of Kukuwa proper, as depicted below:

Click for larger image (approx. 0.6MB)

Because Borno state lies mainly in the dry savanna belt, the state is dry and hot for most the year except in the southern part of the state which has a milder climate.

Source: Wikipedia

I'll keep you in the loop and hopefully we'll see this area blossom and develop in the near future.

I absolutely have to add and feel obligated to mention that I was greatly inspired by Girlfromverona's latest CJ Jefferson County (do check it out if you have the time) and specifically her region. Thank you very much for sharing!

Until next time,

M
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

Great work there on that new post!
And the region is looking really wonderful! :thumbsup:
The small river looks also nice!

Looking forward to the development... ;)

Yoman

Always a pleasure to view your work Marius. And this is no exception. I look forward to seeing how you develop / don't develop (wild life park anyone?) that map.  :thumbsup:

M4346

First of all, I apologise for the lack of substantial updates to this Mayor's Diary, I have been very busy, academically and 'professionally', especially as I am in the last 40 days of my undergraduate studies!

Therefore, just as a reminder to myself, I am posting here with the hope of doing so more substantially in the not-so-distant future.

So, thanks Owen and Bat for your continued support!  ;D

And here's a little twist to the CES and its fate...

6. Commonwealth rocked by Secession

In a number of closed sessions last week, the local legislatures of the Commonwealth's six northern provinces intensely debated the prospects of secession from the Commonwealth. In a joint-announcement on Monday, 6 October 2008 the provinces of Sokoto, Katsino-Kano, Borno, Bautsi, Niger and Burke announced their intention to secede with immediate effect, effectively redrawing the map and the political landscape of the CES.

The six northern states have organised themselves into what is now called the Federal Republic of Nigeria (FRN), leaving the remaining seven states and the Federal Capital Territory, and seeking sovereignty and recognition for their proclaimed independence. Among the reasons cited for the secession include the fact that the Commonwealth, under the economic, cultural and political domination of the southern states, has become 'far too liberal and progressive' and that the FRN has 'difficulty in reconciling [their] own values, views and beliefs with such a sharp turn of events'.

In a surprise move, however, the CES has officially granted the FRN recognition as an independent and sovereign state, claiming that it was their constitutional right to secede and stating that this has by no means affected the solid ties between the two countries.

Moves are currently afoot in both countries to redraw congressional districts, and in the FRN, to elect a president and Congress.

The Office of the President of the CES was unavailable for immediate comment, and the major political parties are yet to release statements on the current developments.
New Horizons Productions

M4346

7. Jefferson City, Jefferson - Ekandustria Development

Our journey through the commonwealth takes us today to the southern-most Eleutherian state of Jefferson, located on the Niger delta, and specifically to the state Capital, Jefferson City (or Jefferson for short). The city is currently undergoing major redevelopment and reconstruction following years of insurgency and guerilla-warfare during the tumultuous post-colonial times.

Jefferson state is indicated as number 13 on the map below, and the city is pointed out on the (out-dated, pre-FRN secession) map furthermost to the bottom.

Regional overview of the municipal boundaries of Jefferson City shows how the city is spread out over one of the many 'arms' of the Niger River as it reaches the Atlantic Ocean.

The state of Jefferson will be discussed in more detail at a later stage, however, now we turn our attention to one of the number of planned industrial developments in Jefferson City, namely Ekandustria. Development and expansion is currently a work in progress, specifically as the neighbouring municipal sub-council and residential area servicing Ekandustria, Savannah, is expanding and growing.

Let us have a quick overview of a limited part of Ekandustria and the state of development in the industrial district.

When approaching Ekandustria from Savannah in the north by either rail or highway, one crosses over a small, but beautiful, lake which has been designated by the Metropolitan Council as a future park and low-intensity level recreational area.

One can either reach Ekandustria by road or rail, with buses and trains the preferred method of commute at the moment, as commuting with your own car is currently much less favoured by Jeffersonians. Below: An overview of the main 'point of entry' into Ekandustria.

The bustling canal system of Ekandustria, along with the main freight and passenger rail stations are shown below (day and night), as well as the most recent industrial developments.

Part and parcel of industrial development is the expansion and construction of a solid infrastructural and transportation network. The building of a small freight harbour is depicted below, with future expansion possibilities definitely kept in mind as demand for it will increase in the future.

I know this has been a rather brief update, and will probably not suffice in quenching your thirst for "more, more, more!" but it is unfortunately all that I could compile given the time constraints! If all goes well we'll be strolling down the streets of Savannah soon!

Thanks for reading!  :thumbsup:

M
New Horizons Productions

Simpson

This is looking very good and réalistic  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Yoman

Don't beat yourself up over the size of the update, its nice to have a small one than none at all :P And it looks very good, a very interesting map to develop.

papab2000

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

BigSlark

Marius,

Great update! This city rather reminds me of Port Harcourt, I wonder if that's a coincidence... ;)

I'm looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Kevin

Pat

Marius,
  I cant believe it you started another MD and I didn't even know that back in July... geeeeeezzzs Im a slacker...  I do have to say taking a trip back to Elytheria [linkie] and seeing how you where coming along with the Commonwealth I am soo impressed here and I cant wait till the next update!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Great work on these two updates there! Wonderful pictures there, too! :thumbsup:

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Geronimo

Wow, good work on this one, though I havent noticed untill today   :P
Lot of details in your presentation, thats good, great region as well! Nice developement so far!  :thumbsup:

praiodan

Marius, this looks very promising. I think you've an excellent map there and a generally interesting setting and I don't think a 8-pic-update is that brief.

:thumbsup:

CarmineHilton

Hii Marius x

Great update, really love it =) But uhm... What is that map? I really like it, so what's it called?
Thank you

xoxo Carmine

kbieniu7

Very nice work, but isn' it those docks too small for some bigger ships?  ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Dark_Jedi06

I love all the detail and political information, maps are always fun to look at. $%Grinno$%

The regions look beautiful and I can't wait to see some serious development. :satisfied:
...this space to be filled soon...