• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW neighboring city connections

Started by videosean, April 16, 2008, 08:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

videosean

I was doing some experimenting after reading through the RHW ("Rural" Highway) Project and MIS (Modular Interchange System) thread and found a nice looking way to do neighbor connections using the current 20 RHW release.  I hope this can be useful... I didn't stumble onto any pictures of doing this kind of neighbor connections so I took some to share/demonstrate :)
You probably know that RHW4 connects to Maxis ground-level highways:

But if you bulldoze every tile but the last tile where the actual connection is made and then connect the RHW4:

not bad eh?

It works for avenues too:

Just connect each lane of your RHW4:

I think this looks even nicer than the Maxis highway connection:

Diggis

Good work.  &apls

Does it function?  Can you do us a route query to test it?  ()what()

videosean

ummm... errr... I'm not sure if I have any cities set up where I could see if it works  &mmm  I've only had RHW for 1 day and was just playing around on an empty map.  I'll see if I can get something going to show the query to find that out :)

Starmanw402007

Looking Good with that connection. I'll give it a try later tonight.
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

videosean

Avenue comes in 3 tiles to the city, made the avenue connection from my established city and connected the RHW up to it "as-is" in this new city... no bulldozing any avenue tiles:

Buldozed 1 section of avenue tiles, leaving 2x2 section of avenue:

Bulldozed 2 sections of avenue tiles, leaving 1 avenue tile coming in from neighboring city... it DOES get tricky here!

When it asks you if you'd like to make a connection to your neighboring city, click CANCEL.  If you click accept, all traffic ceases!
No funny stuff... nothing but residential in this city :)

Tarkus

Thanks for sharing this method, videosean! :thumbsup: 

I did find another interim workaround that will work on RHWs with wider medians as well, which can be found here.  I plan on designing some puzzle pieces to try to improve this method in one of the next versions.

Hope you're enjoying the RHW! :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

videosean

Quote from: Tarkus on April 16, 2008, 09:30:17 AMI did find another interim workaround that will work on RHWs with wider medians as well, which can be found
I don't know how much of an impact 1 tile of one-way road would have on congestion... but since avenues work for the neighbor connection, OWR should work too and OWR is what I would use for tunnels if I needed or wanted them :)

No offense is meant towards your method at all, just how I would do it... and heck yeah I'm enjoying this RHW!  There's a lot of brains and talent floating around these SC4D boards and working on stuff to make the game better or just to keep it fresh :)

*edited to correct my naiveness on OWR making neighbor connections  ()sad()

Tarkus

Quote from: videosean on April 16, 2008, 09:52:38 AM
but since avenues work for the neighbor connection, OWR should work too and OWR is what I would use for tunnels if I needed or wanted them :)

Well, actually, the OWR cannot make neighbor connections--it's a hard-coded limitation (in the .exe). 

And I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the RHW--and on another note, that's a very nice little sunken Collector/Distributor setup you have there.  To my knowledge, the way tunnels work with the game simulator, using the OWR tunnel shouldn't have any real disadvantages.

-Alex (Tarkus)

RebaLynnTS

Just a clairification, in case anyone is confused ... OWR will make a visual neighbor connection, but not a functional one (except for freight, which is one way traffic).
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

videosean

D'OH!  I figured OWR would because avenues do... sorry about that  :-[

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: videosean on April 16, 2008, 01:56:16 PM
D'OH!  I figured OWR would because avenues do... sorry about that  :-[

That would be logical ... but I am not so sure it is the EA way :)
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat