• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

New Corsica {UNSC Member Nation} (Airport Update 5/6)

Started by smarty218, April 01, 2008, 03:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smarty218

Welcome! New Corsica was started on Simtropolis, but after 8 pages, I decided to start it here too! A bit of info on my style: I tend to like countryside and euro themes more that metropolises. However, the occasional large city is fun to make and thus you can count on seeing any and all styles expressed here.
So here's a little history to get you warmed up...

NOTE: THIS ENTIRE MD AND ALL ASSOCIATED HISTORY IS COMPLETELY FICTIONAL

Note: All Images Linked to Full Versions!

New Corsica was first discovered by the Greeks in 128 B.C. The Greeks colonized the island and coastal farming communities developed. Over time rowhomes and roads as well as early civic improvements were constructed, and life went on in a lazy, unaffected Mediterranean fashion.

In 3 B.C., the Island was invaded by the Persians, and a fierce battle was fought. The local Greeks were defeated and the surviving Hoplites and Legionnares were imprisoned and taken off the island. This occupation was short lived however, as the Athenians liberated the islands twelve years later.

In 1709, the French rediscovered the island and set up a trading post there. As a result, European architecture developed and spread on the island. Today, a large French quarter still exists, although modernized buildings are slowly replacing some areas.

The Location of New Corsica  (Once again, FICTIONAL )

Flag

Coat of Arms (simple huh?)

Statistics:

Basic Information:

Official Name: The Republic Of New Corsica
Capital City: Geneva
Top 3 Largest Cities: Port Zsing, Geneva, Sudo
Languages: English, French
Currency: New Corsican Dollar (NCD)
Government: Democratic Republic
Population estimate, 2005: 109,120
Per Capita GDP: 38,600
Total GDP: 1,600
Anthem: Undecided
SAS score: 36, Good*

Brief Info:
Internal Conflicts: None
Political Parties: Peoples' Party of New Corsica, National Congressional Party
Allies and Trade Partners: Greece, Italy, Turkey
Climate and Vegetation: Varies from warm humid coastlines to cool mountains; Generally mild, Mediterranean
Religions: 78% Christian, 11% Muslim, 5% Jewish, 2% Hindu, 4% Other or nonreligious**
Ethnic Makeup: 61% Caucasian, 26% Asian, 13% Black ***

*SAS: School Assessment Survey- Determines Effectiveness of School System
** As of 2005 Census
*** Caucasian includes Europeans and Westerners, Further- 84% European, 16% Western

The European influence is evident in the design of the coat of arms and flag...
And to wrap up, Here are some pictures of the capital, Geneva, specifically the French Quarter of the city.

Whew!
More to come, stay tuned.
Hope You liked it
Cheers
Smarty

callbat

Nice job. I really like the city.  :)

Toichus Maximus

looking good! You've used the French ploppables very nicely! I'd relot some of those bare tiles in that plaza and use some different trees in that park, tho, and maybe get a uniform sidewalk mod  ;) Great start, and great work so far! Looking forward to more!

TopCliff

Lovely Euro style city square area. I do have to be a knit-pick about the history though. The Greeks colonized between the Second Persian War and the Peloponnesian War. That's around the 5th century BC. Other than that, great start, can't wait for some of the larger areas to be shown.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

CabraBuitre

Good start!  Can't wait to see some wider shots of the area for some context, too!

Check out Abelfarei!

Pat

Hey Smarty great start here and I liked the background info on Corsica and the pics are pleasing as well!!! See you next update....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

blade2k5

Impressive beginning smarty218 &apls  very well planned out and structured.  Loved the pics...loved the whole package.  Look forward to the first update.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

smarty218

Update 1: Roha Slums

Well, save the best for last, people say, so in that fasion I will give you the grittiest, dirtyest update first.
This is the worst kept secret in New Corsica, and nobody's proud of it. But hey, someone's gotta do the dirty work.

Roha is an industrial town just south of the wealthy tourist trap town of  Buelova, which is the home of ancient Greek ruins and long sandy beaches. Roha, however, is low wealth and dirty, the air choked with smog from the factories. The houses are in disrepair and 10,000 people live here in poor conditions.
Roha: Statistics
Province: Capital District
Population: 10,235 (Last Census)
Main Industry: Manufacturing and Oil Refining

Next: Buelova... a "Fake" town
Comments/ Critique Encouraged!
Cheers
Smarty

bat

Wonderful start there of New Corsica! Also a great new update of that city! And looking forward to more... ;)

Pat

Smarty great update and the only thing I see is the roundabout kinda got scewered a little bit there, other then that great update!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

smarty218

REPLIES #1:

callibat: Thanks! Glad you like it! (You know its on ST too!)
Toichus Maximus: Thanks for the feedback, where can I find a uniform sidewalk mod though? It's been bugging be on and on!
TopCliff: Hey! Nice to see you! Sorry about the history, I'm not so good with it up until the 20th century!
CabraBuitre: Thanks for stopping by! I'll try to gat some wider shots in!
Pat: Thanks, Pat! Good to hear the pics were pleasing!
blade2k5: Wow, thanks for the wonderful comment! Really pleased you liked it!
bat: Thank you for visiting and commenting! More on the way!
Pat: Thanks for coming by again! And yes, the roundabout did get messed up, but what's done is done I suppose...!

blade2k5

Wow, that was quick :D  You weren't kidding about the choking smog cough cough and I hope those unfortunate sims have their medical insurance paid up because after breathing in that air.  All joking aside, nice work and great update :thumbsup:

dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

smarty218

Update 2: Buelova: A "Fake" Town Part 1
Buelova: Statistics
Province:    Capital District
Population:    2,340 (Last Census)
Main Industry:    Tourism

Buelova, just northwest of Roha, is a resort town formed  in the 1980's near a few ancient Mycenean ruins. Unknown to most tourists, the town is actually a "Fake". It was completely constructed in one year to serve as an attraction to the tourists. From the ground it is quite spectacular, but from the air (as we are viewing), one can see that it is not authentic.

Buelova is a popular stop for cruise liners such as this one. There are no docks big enough here, so they stop about a half mile from shore and the passengers disembark onto small sailboats from the mainland.

For people from the islands out to sea and the surrounding parts of New Corsica, there are ferry docks with ferries arriving and departing hourly.

For close-by islands and areas there are fast water taxis that arrive and depart from a row of docks.

One of the main attractions are the beaches.

The beach in the morning...

An exclusive beach resort sits on the edge of the beach...

For those less rich patrons, there are a few international hotels in the area

One of the big "Fake" developments...

Note: This is not by any means meant to be an actual Mediterranean city, merely a representation of a marketing scam!

Next: Buelova Part 2: Ancient Ruins, Coming this weekend!
Hope you liked today's update!
Cheers
Smarty

bat

Great new pictures of the ship and harbor! Your beach is also looking fantastic!

Looking forward to the Ancient Ruins at this weekend! ;)

Pat

Smarty fantastic update here!!! Love the city M8!!!!!

smarty218

Update 3: Buelova Part 2: Ancient Ruins

A ten minute walk from the shores of Buelova lies the laid-back area of Ruins, Vacation homes and fairways. The Buelova Country Club and golf course was built for the vacationers who come here and brings in significant profits.
    Here are a few shots of the expansive course...

Right next to the course is a large development of villas that are mostly vacation homes bought by rich foreigners.

Right next to the development lie the Greek ruins. They have been reconditioned to their previous glory and stand for visitors to see.

That's it for today!
Hope you liked it!
Cheers
Smarty

bat

Like that newest update here! And wonderful views there, too!

Looking forward to more in the next days...

n3w-y0rk-city

Is what your town or your region shall bear the Corsica? If so it does not reproduced but it's even beautiful!

blade2k5

Fantastic looking golf course you have there smarty :thumbsup:  It's one of the best I've seen yet :)  Look forward to the next update.

smarty218

Update 4: Geneva Commercial District

Sorry about the wait, but here you are, the small downtown of Geneva!

The main feature is a HUGE subterranean shopping complex

The complex lies in the shadow of many skyscrapers and is a popular waypoint for travelers along the National Boulevard...

A myriad of architectural styles is expressed here...

The buildings gradually decrease in height and majesty as you get farther from the centre.

Land is still very expensive here, as it is the capital...

The NC Electronics building...

The outskirts are lower wealth, but still an expensive place to live...

While they work in the skyscrapers, most people live in the suburbs, which will be featured in a later update...

New construction is now constantly taking place as the commercial district expands...

Up Next is a video update on the Old Country Harbour!
Come back soon!
Cheers
Smarty