• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Extracting models from automata

Started by emilin, January 30, 2008, 01:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilin

Eehhh... I feel kind of bad asking the same kinds of questions all the time. And I really appriciate Andreas and the others putting up with me (just tell me to stop if it gets on your nerves).

My latest effort has been trying to turn automata files (mainly passenger trains) into props for more diversity on train station lots. But I can't seem to extract any models from the automata .dat files. Some of them contains exampler files, some don't. It doesn't work either way.

Is there a way to change (or add) the needed properties in the Reader to do this?

Many, many thanks!

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Silur

Hi, Emilin ....
Good question - it's very interesting for me too ...
Good luck

wouanagaine

didn't Gizmo already made those props ?

Anyway contrary to standard building models, automata are not made in 4 rotations/5 zooms declinaisons. There is only 1 S3D file

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

vester

If you look at my tram depot, you will see the trams on it, is just automata turned into props with the help of dat-file. Don't ask me how precisely it's working, as it was and already made thing. Then I got that dat file made into timeprops.

Andreas

I just had a look at the "SFBT_StraBaMuseum_Props.dat" of the SFBT Tram Museum, which also contains some props that have been converted from automata files. As wouanagaine said, automata is using a single S3D file, and a corresponding FSH file that is mapped onto the 3D model. You'll have to create a new prop exemplar file manually (i. e. by copying an existing one and changing the instance ID). Then edit the Resource Key Type 0 property so the ID matches your S3D model ID.
Andreas

emilin

That sounds like something I might be able to do, Andreas. Just to be perfectly clear about what I do...

In the reader:

1. I add an exampler file copied from an existing prop and change the instance ID (to what, exactly? and do I only need ONE exampler file, because I have seen two of them in a lot of .dats?)

2. I edit the Resource Key Type 0 property of the exampler file to match the ID of the S3D file (is this infact the same procedure as discribed in p.1? if not, where is the ID of the S3D file noted?)

Is that a correct interpretation of what you said (I'm still very much a rookie at these things, and things that might be selfevident for a more experienced modder isn't to me.)?

@wouanagaine: yes, he did, but not the ones I want right now, mainly some SMP trains and the engine car from Swampers latest modd.

@vester: I did look at your file, actually. It is, however, not what I need in this case. Your timed props seem to change when a new eltrain modd is installed, and I want fixed models for props. It is a very nice feature for your particular lot though. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for all your help!

BlackwaterEmil's inn

Andreas

Well, it depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you want to keep the automata DAT, all you have to do is creating a separate prop exemplar file. There might be two in certain automata DATs, but they might refer to UDI stuff or something like that. In any case, the S3D file is the key when it comes to the IDs.

So if you want to keep the automata file and just add the possibility of using it as a prop, you can simply use the S3D instance ID for your prop exemplar file as well. For the sake of simplicity, take one from the SFBT DAT I mentioned above; if you open the file in the Reader, they should be located towards the end of the list, above the FSH textures for the tram tracks.

If you want to get rid of the automata DAT, it might be feasible to copy the S3D file and the FSH file of the automata model and assign a new instance ID (it doesn't matter which one, it just needs to be unique). Then create a new prop exemplar as described above, and assign the same instance ID. The Resource Key Type 0 property should get the same instance ID, based on the one that the S3D file is using.

With the prop exemplar file, you're able to use the model as a prop, and the Resource Key Type property simply refers to the proper model (which refers to the proper texture). Actually, this is far less confusing than "regular" props which consists of models and textures for various zoom levels and rotations. For those automata props, you simply need one prop exemplar file, one S3D model and one FSH texture. :)
Andreas

emilin

Thank you!

My first try was... ehh... semisuccessful. As you can see the engine car doesn't quite behave the same way in the LE as in the game, but that is not really a big issue:

What is worse though is that it seems to have replaced my ordinary train modd completly, something I wanted to avoid. Can you possibly tell me what property needs to be changed in the file to make it ONLY work as a prop (I tried to follow your directions but I must have missed something, sorry...)?

BlackwaterEmil's inn

Andreas

Yeah, sometimes the LE preview seems to be reversed, but once you know which models are affected, you can simply  rotate them, and they will look fine in the game. If you want to use another train automata model, you will have to change the IDs of the files that are going to be used as props. This means that you have to change the instance ID of all files to a new, unique ID, and since you change the ID of the FSH file, you also need to edit the texture reference in the S3D file. In order to do that, select the S3D file in the Reader, then click on the "Mats" tab, and find the ID of the texture in the list. Right-click on the ID, select "Change Instance/Name" and enter the new ID you used for your texture etc. Don't forget to hit the "Apply" button in the upper left corner, save the DAT and exit the Reader again.
Andreas

emilin

Well, it seems to work now. I still have a few things to figure out, but basically I am now able to make props from automata files.

I can't even begin to thank you for being so patient with me, Andreas. It's a pity the Karma buttons have been disabled so I'll have to settle for an emoticon:

:thumbsup:

BlackwaterEmil's inn

Andreas

Heh, I never cared much about the karma points, but thanks anyway. :)
Andreas

Silur

Hi, Andreas ...
Thank You from me too ...
You're Great Artist with excellent works !!!
Best Regards !!!
&apls &apls &apls

Andreas

Artist? I thought I was more of an engineer. ;)
Andreas

Silur

Excuse me my poor English, Andreas ...
Yes, ENGINEER ... ( with CAPS ) !!!
SFBT with Great Quality ...
&apls &apls &apls

cogeo

I think making (static) props out of automata is easy and feasible (the reverse is not):
- Use the Resource Key Type 0 property (or another appropriate property, according to the number of S3D/FSH files of the automaton model). The Resource Key Type 1 requires a model of 20 S3D/FSH files 5 zooms, 4 rotations and is not used for automata.
- Set the kSC4BuildingModelRotationProperty property (the value does not matter and can be empty). This causes a model of one rotation aspect only to be rotated together with the prop or lot.