• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Badger Bay - A Work In Progress

Started by tkirch, October 11, 2007, 07:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paroch

Hey tkirch,

Congratulations on your award.  Badger Bay has literally burst onto the MD scene.  It's still so new but you've given us so much in terms of updates, pictures, history and background. 
Thanks for your words re West End.  I thought I was working on a big map, but Badger Bay is huge!

In the last couple of updates the "stand outs" for me are:

The golf course (just released one myself, so know the work that must have gone into it).  I like the way the course is next to the shore, adds a nice dimension.

The marina.  That is a nice lot there and it's been placed perfectly. 10 out of 10.

Main Park.  I like that park a lot.  Not sure what it is that makes it so special, but it works really well.

Henderson is looking good overall, so I look forward to seeing some more. :thumbsup:

All the best, Paul

Jmouse

Nice update, tkirch, and the waterfront elements are especially eye catching. Love the night shots, of course, but all of it looks good.
And if you ever get down south, you might enjoy a crawfish festival. We boil them in spicy Cajun seasonings and wash them down with a few beers!
Then comes the line dancing! :D

Until next time...
Joan

Pat

Tkirch wonderful last few updates and such a great progress here  :thumbsup:  Ya knows what this reminds of a certain someone's project lol.... Great Job here and its wonderful to see you in OSITM...... - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Wonderful new update there! Great work! :thumbsup:

tkirch

Henderson Update 3.0

A little more history first of Henderson.  Hednerson was for the most part of its history was a quiet country town.  As the nearby metropolis of Sheboygan grew, Henderson begin to get more and more visitors.  Summer homes begin to pop up along Potter's Lake and Henderson begin to see an influx of people.  But the real growth came in 1973, when Badger Bay built the E-45 Expressway spur off of I-90 and brought that to the edge of Henderson.  Before that country roads were getting way too much traffic for its original purpose and accidents were a common place.  In 1971, there were actually 31 deaths on County Trunk LL that leads into Henderson.

H3-1: E-45 Exit Ramp

Well with the E-45 spur more visitors came and entrepreneurs began to come forward and build inns, motels, hotels, and bed and breakfasts.  This little sleepy town begin to grow, with the amount of tourists jobs became abundant and people moved in and slowly this very little town grew.  Through varios land grants and zoning regulations, the Henderson Common Council is holding the growth at where it is and allowing a lot of open spaces to flourish and to keep some of the peace and tranquility that has always been a part of Henderson, here.

H3-2: One of the first chain motels built in Henderson was the {LINK} Super 8.

H3-3 and H3-4:Soon other hotels appeared: {Link} Days Inn and {Link} Fairfield Inn

H3-5: {Link}California Pizza Kitchen

H3-6: Henderson Cinema

H3-7: Commercials

H3-8: Just a different perspective from above

H3-9: Corner Store

H3-10: I like this BSC building

H3-11: Edelweiss Lodge. Great Food!  Try their BBQ Ribs, too die for!!!

H3-12: Lodge at night.  When it is hopping.  I really like Gizmo's Night Mod.  It isn't for some people but I think it looks great.

That's all for today.  Hope you enjoyed this update.  And again thanks for reading.

thundercrack83

Henderson looks great, tkirch! I love the history and the tour of all the local businesses! It's only November 3, and already, you're taking advantage of your time in the spotlight!

Pat

Tkirch that is a wonderful update and very viberant at it too.... Great Job and we'll see you soon - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tkirch

SPECIAL UPDATE

This is a special update to thank everyone for supporting my MD.  And also to celebrate getting moved to OF SPECIAL INTEREST THIS MONTH.  Also to celebrate post 100.   Thank you all.

For our special update we are going back to visit a past area.  The City of Sheboygan.  Sheboygan has quite a commercial population and with it being so far to the northwest of Badger Bay, I-90 is a long travel to get to the more bustling areas of Badger Bay.  So after some clamoring, the Badger Bay State Senate has financed a municipal airport for the area.  The airport was named in the honor of General Theodore Bear.  General Bear is best known for helping in the modernization of the SimNation Army.  He was originally from Badger Bay and specifically Sheboygan County.  We haven't yet seen his birth place but we will get there.  So on to the General Theodore Bear Municipal Airport.

Let's show the area that will be the are for it.  This nice open area off the industrial corridor and off the I-90 seems like a good area.

Next there had to be some infrastructure changes.  A diagonal road connecting the industrial and a freight station was moved first. 

It is eventually connected to the strett and a road made all the way through.

Connected to the street

Next it was determined that a road would not be able to handle all the new traffic, so the road would be replaced with an avenue.  This caused the government having to buy Overnight Transportation under {LINK} EMININENT DOMAIN.  The new avenue would replace Industrial Road that was connected to I-90 and led to the Sheboygan Public Works and Landfill.  It would also connect with Douglass Avenue that ran north to south connecting downtown Sheboygan to the Industrial area.

The avenue gets built.  This reconstruction of infrastructure cost in excess of 7.3 million and took close to a year.  At the same time the airport was being built at a cost of 39 million that would be paid through bonds and a SimNation Grant.

The connection to Douglass Avenue.  Industrial Road was renamed Industrial Drive.

General Theodore Bear Drive was built to lead to the new airport

The airport gets completed and a small convention center is built in the area to gather some additional conventions to the area.

Now some views at different levels so you get the idea of what it looks like.  The airport has two runways, one for small commercial and a private side for the local businesses and their private jets.

And two night shots to end this special update

paroch

Hey tkirch,

Nice updates there.  I really like Henderson :thumbsup:

You've given us a great story / history together with some really good pics.  I like the one with Motel 8.  The trees you are using fit the area so very well.  H3-8 is a briliant picture as well.
The California Pizza Kitchen is a nice BAT, thanks for the link, I think I'll take that one.

I like your narrative for the General Bear Airport.  It's good to show us how you changed things to make way for the airport and its transportation links.  Judging by the amount of buses travelling to and from the airport I suspect you may have to provide another public transport link soon.

The mini business airport is quite cute, particularly the terminal building.  I think my only other comment would be that with the pre-built airports the runways seem a bit on the short side.

Great work there, I look forward to more.

Paul

Jmouse

Hey, tkirch, those updates look good. I'm kind of partial to H3-9 because I grew up in a white house with green shutters!  :)
H3-1 is an area of great interest for a different reason, though. Coming off a major highway onto a short stretch of avenue that ends in a crossroad definitely is an area worth watching. As the city matures, I'd be very interested to see some traffic data on that intersection from time to time.
BTW, is Henderson a small, medium or large city (quad)?
Anyway, keep those terrific photos (especially the night shots) coming! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

bat

Very great new update! Nice new night shots! :thumbsup:

capo

Excellent update! I think the pictures you posted have convinced me to also install that night-mod. Again I must compliment you on the use of colour, it gives the pictures you post just that extra touch.

When I read the text with the pictures it seems I'm actually reading into the mind of a RL mayor, everything so carefully planned. Yeah the Special of the Month award is a well deserved one

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

tkirch

capo:  Thank you again for the kind words.  I also like to make the pictures in my MD like they are worthy of being framed and also able to tell the story I am looking for.  This night mod is great, just adds a bit more.  And you can take lighter pictures because it goes from lighter to darker.

sebes: Its a tough choice as to whether to bring the highway over or not.  My thought was that if this is a high tourist area, the government would like to have a good route instead of country roads. And thanks for checking in.

paroch: Paul, thanks for looking in and the kind words.  Much appreciated.  I love huge maps though it is very daunting when I look what I have to do, but I am having a lot of fun doing it too.  As for the airports I agree, I tried to make one with the modular ones but my first attempt was pretty hideous.  Hopefully when I get to a much bigger airport in the larger cities I will make them look realistic.  Its hard to find that balance.  I wish there were better already lotted ones but there aren't.

jmouse: Joan thanks for looking in again.  Oh and I love crawfish.  I have had crawfish many times in Kiln, Mississippi, I get down there once a year.  As for Henderson it is on a large square.  All my squares are large.  But I don't see Henderson getting any bigger then it is.  There is another smaller town on the opposite side of Potter's Lake which I will show in a future update.  I will show some traffic data but its not that heavy surprisingly.  A lot of travel on the rail between here and Sheboygan.

bat: Thanks for the great comments.

Ennedi

I must say I like the atmosphere of your pictures very much :thumbsup: Great editing work!

I also like your use of the space, it seems everything is on the right place
Very good idea with these little pictures showing building works, it helps to track the process, maybe I will try it too? :)

If you want, you can turn off these "No Road Access" icons (you must have the Extra Cheats PLugin), click Ctrl X and find "tastyzots" on the list - or, without the plugin, simply type this code into the command line).
Edit: the first picture (with these icons) is my favourite!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

tkirch

HENDERSON UPDATE 4.0

This is the fourth and final update of the town of Henderson.  We have seen some great pictures of Henderson through the last three updates.  The last few pictures will show us some places the residents of Henderson deal with, schools, homes, and work.

H4-1: A few pictures of some of the local homes.

H4-2:  More homes

H4-3: Homes at Night

H4-4: More Homes at Night Pictures

H5-5: Joesph Rank Plant

H5-6: Joesph Rank at night

H5-7: The Henderson Power Plant

H5-8: Freight Yard

H5-9: Train Repair Yard

H5-10: Picture taken by a tourist

capo

I really like the little details in the pictures. Picture 1 for an example: the fences of the homes beside the road. All generally in the same style, like you see in many suburbs.

Again a compliment for the nice colour of your pictures, I really like how you not overcrowd your woods with seasonal trees. One or two carefully placed autumn trees look so much better then big random seasonal woods, it's something I do also..a nice greenish forest with a seasonal autumn tree every now and then for variation. I like the trees from JRJ's street side mod, I personally use the SFBT one so it's nice to see what another mod does. I must ask, the white-brick pavement next to the streets. Where did you find that one? I've used SMP's sandstone mod too many times, I think this would be an excellent replacement!

Too bad this is the last update of Henderson, but I'm curious what lies ahead of us...

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

tkirch

CAPO- I use Swampers {LINK}FOUND HERE

You will also find this on the first page in the first post.  Just wanted you all to see.

Badger Bay Gazetter

COUNTIES
SHEBOYGAN COUNTY
Go To Sheboygan County
CITIES IN SHEBOYGAN COUNTY
Sheboygan - Nestled in the northwest part of Sheboygan County it is found on the western edge of Devil's Lake.   Sheboygan is the County Seat of Sheboygan County.  The city is a blue collar town with a strong manufacturing population but they also take their education seriously.  A Univeristy of Badger Bay campus is nestled in the center of the city and is currently in the midst of a major upgrade to the facilities as they have gotten a huge donation to add a football field and to build some new buildings to help alleviate the large amount of students from around the county.  UBB-Sheboygan County is best known for their agriculture program.  They have some farms out in Sheboygan County that are used for education as well as research.
One of Sheboygans biggest industries is fishing.  The fishing in Devil's Lake is some of the best for walleye, pike, and perch.  Cedar Creek flows through the city offering some beautiful views and an extensive park system throughout the city.
Population at First Census: 43,126
TOWNS IN SHEBOYGAN COUNTY
Freemont - Freemont is a town in Sheboygan County.  Freemont was established on a trade route from Badger Bay to the nation north of Badger Bay, Santa Fernando.  The town was named after two early settlers in this area William Freeman and Jefferson Montgomery.  The two opened up a lodge for weary travlers in the early 1800's.  They soon built a saloon, a house of ill repute, and a large cattle farm.  Much of the land around Freemont was owned buy these two individuals and their families.  In 1863, years after their deaths the town was finally incorporated and was named Freemont.  Today it is a small industrial town and is no longer on a major trade route seeing that I-90, miles to the west, has taken much traffic away from this area. 
Population at First Census: 5,653
Henderson - Henderson has a long and storied history.  Henderson was established in 1838 by German immigrants originally as Hamm.  {LINK}Hamm was named after a city in Germany where a large number of the immigrants came from.  Here in Hamm, the German immigrants started a vibrant farming and fishing community around the lake.  The tiny town slowly grew and became known for having the first Catholic Church in Sheboygan County in 1853.  St Lukes Catholic Church was formed by an English immigrant by the name of Father Potter.  St Lukes was established on the northwest side of the lake.    In 1878, the lake was given the name Potters Lake after Father Potter.  Father Potter is famous for being the first and only priest from Badger Bay to be named to the College of Cardinals in 1872.
In 1892, Hamm changed it's name to Henderson.  The name Henderson comes from one of the most famous people in all of Badger Bay, Nathaniel Henderson.  Nathaniel Henderson was the first Governor of Badger Bay.  He was nominated in 1881 and stayed there till his death in 1891.  He was born in raised in Hamm and tragically he died here.  In 1891 on a family vaction he drowned in Potter's Lake.  To this day you can still come and visit Nathaniel Henderson's Birthplace.
Population at First Census - 5,650
VILLAGES IN SHEBOYGAN COUNTY
Edens - Just south of Sheboygan is Edens.  A number of farms make up this small town that is nestled in at the junctions of I-90 and E-45.  Edens was founded in 1865 by Tom Edens, an immigrant from Germany built the first farm here amongst the native Indians in the area.  Tom Edens is known for working with the local Indian population to help make the land more fertile and in development of a local trade route.
Population at First Census 1: 843
Milk Springs - IN THE LATE FALL OF 1853, three families--bound by kinship and a desire to move to Badger Bay--put their belongings in wagons and left Sim Nation. In January 1854, they left the area around Devil's Lake and headed west into wild terrain.  Eventually they found an area surrounded by a couple small ponds and a beautiful water spring tucked into a small forested area.  The spring was colder compared to many other springs in the area. THEIR CHOSEN SPOT was only 20 miles from Sheboygan, but was still considered part of the frontier, complete with Indians. In all probability, they found their way by following the road that carried supplies to the army fort at Fredericksburg. The three families were those of Dr. Joseph McKegg Pound and his wife Sarah,  John L. Moss and his wife Indiana (called "Nannie"), and John Lee Wallace and his wife Malvina. The Pounds were newlyweds, but the Wallaces and Mosses already had children. Sarah and Nannie were sisters. John Wallace was a nephew of famed General Robert Wallace.
Mill Pond -   Mill Pond grew into a small village when a local farmer, Billy Bob, opened a small General Store.  He filled a need for the local farmers.  Instead of having to travel many miles to Freemont or further, they could now go to Billy Bob's General Store.  Over the years local workers in the farms started putting up roots around Billy Bob's store.  Soon a church popped up, then a post office.  It wasn't soon after the post office opened that the village incorporated and started its own local governemnt.  Throughout this time Billy Bob's store was a staple of Mill Pond.  Over the years the store grew with the village.  Many years later, long after Billy Bob has passed, the store is still owned by descendants of his and Billy Bob's Emporium has now grown into over seventy stores throughout Sheboygan County.  But it all started out in Mill Pond.
Population at First Census 1: 1,103
Princeton - Princeton was named in honor of John S. Prince, who built a sawmill in Sheboygan in the early 1850's to manufacture lumber from the vast amounts of lumber coming from this area. The village of Princeton was laid out and platted in the winter of 1855 by Samuel Ross, James W. Gillam, Dorilius Morrison, John S. Prince, and Richard Chute. Although the village plat was recorded on April 19, 1856, in Sheboygan County, the village was at first a part of the township and was not separated until March 5, 1877.
Population at First Census 1: 850
UNINCORPORATED AREAS IN SHEBOYGAN COUNTY
Hatley

STREAMS, RIVERS and LAKES
Cedar Creek- a small creek that flows out of Devils lake and through the City of Sheboygan.  It is a fairly small creek only about six feet wide at some points.
Devil's Lake - Devils Lake, has some of the absolute greatest duck and goose hunting in the world. This area in Sheboygan County is also well known for its white-tail deer hunting in the fall. But most of all, Devils Lake is known for its fantastic fishing. Try out Devils Lake in the summer for some great walleye and pike fishing. Or better yet, brave the cold and have the time of your life catching those famous Devils Lake Jumbo Perch and whopping walleye while out ice fishing. If you haven't tried Devils Lake yet, you are missing out on some awesome fishing and hunting fun! Try Devils Lake for your next sportsman's trip.
Devil's Lake has two tributaries off of it.  In the northern edge is the small Cedar Creek that winds through SHeboygan County.  While in the south is the Crane River that leads to the Ocean.
Potter's Lake - Potter's Lake is mainly a recreational lake.  Lots of watersking, boating, and tubing.  Fishing is semi-popular on Potter's Lake though you won't find much on the way of large fish.  The most abundant fish are bluegill and sun fish.  Around Potter's Lake you will find a number of summer vaction homes.  Most of the permanant residents are found on the two towns on opposite sides of Potters Lake, Henderson on the north side and Grimes Point on the south side.

PLACES OF INTEREST
Nathaniel Henderson Birthplace - Nathaniel Henderson was the first Governor of Badger's Bay elected in 1881.  He was Governor untill 1991 when he drowned in Potter's Lake.
St. Luke's Catholic Church - St. Lukes was established in 1853 and was the first Catholic church in Sheboygan County.  In 1891, St Luke's burned down in an accidental fire, the ruins are all that remains.

paroch

Hi tkirch,

Two lovely updates there.  Like Capo I'm sad that this is the last Henderson update, but I guess it's reached the size you planned - I admire your ability to stop at the right time instead of over developing (like me!).

I like the H5-8 pic in particular.  Eddie Stobart is one of the largest haulage contractors in England so it's nice to see his trailers pop up in Henderson!  And nice football pitch at the school!

Great narrative describing the towns so far, a very nice touch. 

I'll be interested to see what's next in Badger Bay.

Paul

Jmouse

All the photos look great so it would be difficult to choose a favorite. I am a bit partial to the neighborhoods, though, and especially the night shots.
The Gazetteer is an interesting read as well. You're doing a great job.

Until next time...
Joan

Pat

Tkirch wow Henderson was defintly a beautiful tour of the area... This is shapping up very nicely here and you are doing a real fine bang up of a job here - pat