• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Wildcat Junction

Started by Jmouse, October 10, 2007, 02:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

Welcome!
Hope you'll join me in watching Wildcat Junction grow. Come back often, kick off your boots, hang up your spurs and stay awhile. You're always welcome deep in the heart of Texas!

Preface:
Mods: NAM, CAM, CTM, RHM, RMT, BRF tunnel and slope mod (can I buy a vowel?) and a few others like cul-de-sac which are fairly minor and will be obvious to most players.

The Map:
*C 1-1*
A fictional landscape hand terraformed and subject to change as game play progresses. It's loosely based on the Texas Gulf (ofMexico) coastline which changes every time a hurricane blows through anyway.

The History: In the Deep South, also known as Dixie in the U.S.A., blind luck and stubbornness came together January 10, 1901, when Anthony F. Lucas struck black gold at a depth of 1,139 feet (347m).

*P-1* For nine days, Spindletop spewed a 15-story plume of oil across the salt domes of Beaumont in the far southeast corner of Texas, ushering in an era of greed, gall and gumption.
Oil companies, owned by speculators known as "wildcatters," sprang up like toadstools after a spring rain.
Lacking computer models, sonar and solid geological data, they trusted their instincts. These men walked a tightrope with immense wealth at the end and a dark pit of bankruptcy underneath.
Yet they maintained a sense of humor.
One of the more colorful traditions of the day was the nickname a man earned if he was accepted as a "Good ol' Boy."
So I wasn't surprised to get a letter from my long-time friend, "Hooter" Hillcrank.

Chapter I:
Hooter, Wimpy, Tightwad and Pokey, the "four musketeers of wildcatting," were at it again. Each of them had inherited an equal share of land near the coast from Shorty Carlson, a vintage wildcatter who was known for taking an interest in the lives of his employees. Even before they had finished grade school, all four of them had worked alongside their fathers, "roughnecks" who drilled the wells and harvested the oil in Shorty's fields. These days, they're known as "rednecks."
Now the guys have put the days of speculation and back-breaking labor behind them and turned their attention to building empires dedicated to themselves.
And they want me to document the development of this new territory they've named "Wildcat Junction."

*C 1-2* So I packed a few necessities and boarded a jet along with my faithful companion, Little Man.

*C 1-3* On the last leg of the journey, I had to catch a commuter flight on one of Hooter's single-engine planes which wasn't much bigger than my bathtub. But I forgot about the cramped conditions when I got my first glimpse of Pitchfork Pass.
*C 1-4a* The next morning, Hooter brought out some photos taken before I arrived. This one shows much of the dredging for the proposed seaport completed, and a bridge spanning the Pitchfork River's mouth from north to south. With I-D jobs plentiful and mobile-home salesmen working 24/7, the population rose quickly from the 2,500 shown here.

*C 1-4b* In this one, there is still much work to be done on the port, but the population has reached nearly 20,000 with most of the workforce still employed in I-D. Schools and health-care facilities soon improved conditions, though.

*C 1-5* After lingering over a southern-style brunch that made the buffet table sag, Hooter suggested we begin by touring the seaport.  He said the population has topped 90,000 now and there are heavy demands for all levels of industrial and commercial jobs as well as housing.

*C 1-6* While we were waiting for the limo, I asked Hooter why he chose to live in the industrial area, and he said, "Quality control!" Guess that explains why there's a pipeline between his mansion and the White Star Brewery behind him.
Wow, what a guy, and he's generous, too! He lets the caretaker live next door free of charge in return for tending and harvesting the apples which are then delivered to the brewery.

*C 1-7a, b & c* We started at the north end of the port, worked our way south and then west to the bridge.

*C 1-8* Hooter explained how the different tanks and processing units are related to the oil business. Interesting I guess, but I was more worried about what would happen if somebody struck a match.

*C 1-9* The Domino Sugar Co. and warehouse was one of the first I-M businesses to set up shop in Pitchfork Pass. Hooter gave them a huge tax break and they let him place a small test facility near the plant. This tiny field is now famous for producing an exceptionally high grade of light sweet crude oil.

*C 1-10* That night, we ended up at Hooter's where a surprise party was held in my honor. I just hope every little detail doesn't make it into the morning paper.

After we sleep it off enjoy a nice long visit and catch up on old times, we'll tour the rest of the north side.

Until next time...
Joan

Replies:

@ All early birds: Despite countless hours of preparation, I still managed to skew up my long-anticipated debut by clicking on the "Post" button prematurely. (I was aiming for the "Preview" button.) That means a few of you saw a raw and unfinished display and may still be wondering what that crazy old lady is up to now!
Oh well, since I can't undo the past, guess I'll just have to move forward and drag my bruised pride behind me.

@ snickm: Thanks for stopping by. As a native of Houston and 45-year resident of Texas, I know all about the lack of mountains. I was a teenager before I ever saw anything higher than a freeway overpass! The hills in WJ are there only to add some texture to the landscape. Hope you'll be a frequent visitor and excuse the little deviation from reality.

@Adam ( Ennedi): The "early bird" statement above is for you!
Little Man is a 3-year-old Chinese shar-pei. He and his older sister, who is my co-owner, are the offspring of my daughter's dogs.
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you'll continue to do so. BTW, if there's a word or phrase you don't understand, just say so or send a PM. I tend to forget I'm writing for an international audience.

@ figue: Thanks for stopping by. Y'all come back soon, ya' hear!

@ Pat: Thanks for visiting WJ, my friend and hero. Your feedback means a lot to me, so I hope you'll stop by often and enjoy the ride!

@ threestooges: Thanks for your kind comments, and your wait will be over very soon.!

@ BigSlark: I'm honored by your comments. The docks are a product of Peg's CDK3 series. I have the docs which indicate the file is called Peg CDK "The Basics," but I haven't been able to find the link on SimPeg. I'll try and dig a little deeper and PM the results.

@ Alex (Tarkus): Welcome to Pitchfork Pass! This is my first attempt at a seaport, but I figured a city built around the petroleum industry needs a spectacular export facility.
As for the storyline, I enjoy an MD with an interesting thread running through it, especially when it's closely related to the business at hand which is creating a city and region. Hope you like the new update.

@ Shadow Assassin: Thank you for visiting and posting. Keeping in mind that the south port is very much incomplete, where do you see a need for more roads?

@ thundercrack83: Thanks for stopping by. Since I'm kind of new to the MD scene, developments may be as much of a surprise to me as they are to you! :D

@ Dave (tooheys): Thanks for stopping by, my friend and mentor! Yes, Little Man is my beloved 70 pounds of trouble and sweetness.
And thanks for the positive feedback. It means a lot to me.
When I followed your link, I realized I already have the mod installed. I've used the "standard" terrain element since I'm not using a snow-capped mod. Knowing me, I've still done something wrong, though. Any ideas?

@ bat: Thanks for your kind words, and don't give up -- there's a big update on the way.

@ Paul (Paroch):  Hey there, and welcome to WJ. Your positive comments are really appreciated. Starting an MD is pretty scary, but I hope I can keep it going.
In the order listed, the mods are:  Network Addon, Colossus Addon, Columbus Terrain, Rural Highway and Roadtop Mass Transit. I think BRF is just the name of the tunnel/slope mod. Maybe the creators initials. ()what()
Your other question has not been as easy to answer. I'm pretty sure the seaplane airport is a PegProd, but I haven't been able to find it yet, and for the moment it is just eye candy. Although I appear to have the necessary dependencies, it is not functional so I hope to fix it later.
I'll try to track this thing down, though, and let you know.
And LOL, you're absolutely right! Most Texans are more than a little bit crazy, and I do have a horse in the house. It was a gift to my now-7-year-old grandson and will be passed on to his 2-year-old brother this year.
Thanks again for stopping by.

@ Schulmanator: Thanks for the case of bananas. You're a monkey gentleman and a scholar. I'm not too sure the SC4D server can handle six non-opposable thumbs up at one time, but I appreciate the thought. :D Don't be a stranger!

@ stewart_garden: Thanks for posting, and I hope to see you back often.

@ sc4luv2:Glad you stopped by, and I hope it'll be a good MD, too.

@ David (edgren): Wow! It isn't every day the editor drops in for a visit!  :D Thanks so much for stopping by. Texas is a nice place to hang out and I hope you'll come back often, especially when it's 40 below in Alaska! :D

@ tkirch:Howdy, pardner! Thanks for the kind words. If it gets too cold up there in WI, try spending some time in Texas where we have four seasons: hot, hotter, hottest and blistering!

@ All: I am overwhelmed by your support and encouragement. If the DSL server will cooperate for a change, there will be a full update posted this afternoon. Meanwhile, thanks for your patience and if I missed anyone, just try and understand it's been a long night but it doesn't mean you're not appreciated.

Until next time...
Joan

snickm

That's a great map.  Of course, we don't have mountains in the real Deep South (Baton Rouge).   ;)  Good luck.

Ennedi

Hello Joan!!!

What a nice surprise! Your MD!  &dance

A nice and intriguing introduction, I love that map in the wooden frame, looking at it I expect many long and strange stories ;)

I don't know Texas history so I think it will be even more fascinating for me
It's a big pleasure for me to visit you here! :thumbsup:

Edit: Hehe, I see you are just adding  new pictures! And there is a rich storyline here, it seems I must come here tomorrow (I have 11.34 PM here in Poland), open the dictionary and work hard on it!
And who is Little Man?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

figui

first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Pat

Joan wow what a wonderful Birthday present indeed.... For making a few mistakes like you told me in a PM i didnt see any at all.... I love the wood frames on your pics and the story is just right....  WOW wonderful hogwild of a ride it was to start with.....  See you next update - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Good Story, good pictures, this MD is off to a great start, and I'll be looking forward to the tour of the north side.

BigSlark

Great start, Joan. You've developed some great cities and have started an interesting story.

I can't wait to see where this goes.

Also, what's the seawall/dock lot that has the trucks on it in C1-8? It doesn't look familiar to me and I didn't see it in my overloaded Ports menu.

Cheers,
Kevin

Tarkus

Joan, I'm really glad to see you're starting an MD.  It is really looking fantastic, and I really like what you've done with the port, and how you've nestled the railroad in there with those trees and created a nice buffer zone.  And that backstory is quite entertaining and well-crafted as well. 

Looking forward to seeing more! :)

-Alex

Shadow Assassin

Looks good, but you need more streets in the industrial area.  ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

thundercrack83

Great start here, Joan! I love the ports! I'll be looking forward to seeing how things develop further!

tooheys

Joan, great to see you finally made the leap, judging by the responses so far I'm sure it hasn't been as painful as you thought. But I will now change that..... only kidding  ;D

Love the photo presentation with the frame and the accompanying story (is that your dog?). :thumbsup:

Thats a challenging way to start, with a port that is. Nicely done. You've got a good mix of props there and have blended them together well.
You seem to have the terraforming worked out pretty well also.  :)

Joan, you know I will be following this with interest and look forward to the next update.

Cheers

Dave

PS: Pic C1-9. The wavey diagonal walls I think can be overcome by this diagonal wall mod. Maybe worth an experiment. I use it and it works fine.

bat

A really great start there, Jmouse! Great work on that city! Looking forward to more...

paroch

Hi Joan,

I'm so pleased that you've started your MD.  You are such a great supporter of so many different MDs - you always provide great helpful comments, to me and many others.  I know you will have many followers here at Wildcat Junction.  And what a start you've made  :thumbsup:.

Presentation:  Like the others I love the wooden frames.  Whilst I'm not from the deep south (South of England, maybe ;)) I think it adds to the whole Texas cowboy image you're giving us here.

Storyline:  Very nicely done.  Some lovely touches - I particularly like the mayor's idea of quality control!  It would be unusual to have a mayors residence in an industrial area but you've gone ahead and done it and told us exactly why - it works a treat.  I kind of started with a story in mind on my MD but quickly lost it, so good luck with keeping it going.

Content:  Your pictures look fab.  A mix of region shot, zoom out and zoom in shots of the city - very nice.  But as a dedicated follower of MDs you already know what your audience wants.

Originality:  Very good here too.  As someone said, starting with Industrial and Port settings is unusual and brave and you've pulled it off beautifully!

I do have a couple of questions:  When you list your mods, what are CTM, RHM, RMT and BRF?  And in picture C1-7b, is that a seaplane airport/depot on the right hand side?? Never seen that before, would be interested to know if it acts as an airport or is just eyecandy (and of course where to find it!!)

I'd always been led to believe that Texans were a little crazy and loved their horses and picture C1-2 confirms this, as behind your Little Man, it seems that you have a horse in your house ::).

Nice one Joan, I look forward to more and watching this MD fly.

Paul $%Grinno$%

Schulmanator

Zounds! I L &bis& VE it! Anything from Dixie is always welcome - and you have a great story as well. The city is wonderful. 6 thumbs up for this one!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

stewart_garden

Hi Joan,

I saw that you were planning to start a CJ (Oops, MD) from your posts over at Balnavia and I'm glad that you did.  I enjoyed the first installment and will return for more.  Keep up the good work.

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

sc4luv2

I like it, it's purdy good.  ;)

I hope it'll be a good M.D. and end up in the Classics Section (and don't forget it to be the Special Interest of The Month.)

Thanks,
sc4luv2
[

dedgren

Joan- Hey!  I can see I'm not getting out enough.  I was wondering where everyone's been at... now I know- over here enjoying this very nice little MD you've started.

It's about time we had a Texas-based Mayor's Diary.

Yee-ha!  Let 'er rip, my friend.

Good luck!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

tkirch

Great job and love the stories and pictures.  Your map looks great.  I like how you go with the whole western seem and adding the wood frams add just the right touch.

nedalezz

This has the makings of an instant classic! Detail, great pictures, history, and an amazing sense of humor. Incredible start, and I'm sure it will only get better from here. Great work Joan.

Jmouse

Replies
Oops, I goofed and put them in the wrong place. Just scroll up to the first post and you'll find them there.
Mmmm, and did I mention I'm a bit nervous about posting an MD? **trembles violently**

@ nedalezz: Thanks for stopping by and leaving such kind words of encouragement. Your favorable opinion means a great deal to me.

And now, on with the show!

Chapter II:
Although Hooter quit school at age 12 to work in the oil fields, he appreciates the value of education to the younger generation.
Also, he appreciates the taxable value of commercial development and attractive neighborhoods.
So with this in mind, let's continue our tour of the north bank.

*C 2-1* The elementary school is where young Sims learn to speak Southern. For example, vocabulary tests include words like "fixinto." It's all one word and means "going to (do something) right away." "I'm fixinto go shopping" is a common example.

*C 2-2* The next stop was Storybook World Library where patrons are encouraged to enjoy the walking trails, park benches and a gazebo in the great outdoors. Deep Woods OFF towelettes are available for a nominal fee, and less foot traffic inside the building cuts down on housekeeping expenses.

* C 2-3* East of the library is Sunshine Park where patrons find a relaxing pool surrounded by a brick walking trail.

*C 2-4* The high school campus is divided into four parts with an emphasis on agricultural pursuits.

*C 2-4a* The north campus is devoted to FFA and 4-H Club members who learn to raise horses and cows and pigs, oh my! (That's Future Farmers of America and I don't know what the four Hs stand for. Both are very popular RL youth organizations, however, which promote responsible behavior through hard work.)

*C 2-4b* The west campus encourages agricultural pursuits. It features several varieties of corn, cotton and soybeans on the south side, some chili peppers down the middle and a stand of pine trees to the north. Currently students are studying the effects of the dreaded pine bark beetle.

*C 2-4c* A sports facility to the south rounds out the campus.

*C 2-5* Home to the Pitchfork Pass Pigeons football team, the community college takes agriculture to an even higher level by teaching students not to tuck the legs of their jeans inside their boots.
The stadium to the north is a popular gathering place for tailgate parties on Friday night. Today is not Friday.

*C 2-7* It cost Chamber of Commerce President Lucky Chanceman six months and nine cases of 12-year-old scotch to lure Outdoor World to Pitchfork Pass. It was worth the trouble, though.
This sportsman's dream-store features a lake out back where customers can test drive overpriced boats, and a shooting range with animated targets for "great-white-hunter" wannabes.
The vintage logger's shack on the left, faithfully restored, is now a high-priced gourmet diner. If you have to ask how much a slice of Granny's Apple Pie is, you can't afford it.

*C 2-8a* A Wal-Mart Super Center anchors this shopping center on the city's north edge. Immediately west of it is the Pitchfork Pass Beer museum, a travel destination which draws thousands of tourists annually.

(C 2-8b) A bit farther south is Food Lion which feeds the hungry mouths in Pitchfork Pass. A nearby Eckerd's keeps a good supply of chewable antacid tablets on the shelves.

*C 2-9a* Most of the north-side residential development is found along the riverbank west of the bridge. The high school is an informal dividing line between R and C.

*C 2-9b* This northwest development is one of the older neighborhoods and caters to mid-rise apartment dwellers.

*C 2-9c* Although apartments and condos are sprouting up like ragweed in a vacant pasture, there are still a few single-family homes left here and there.

I hope you enjoyed today's tour. The next photo shoot will be on the south bank where I've been told there's a lot more residential development. Also, there are some traffic-data studies underway and the results will be posted ASAP.
Y'all come back now, ya' hear!