• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Blackwater (with Islas Gemas)

Started by emilin, January 25, 2007, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilin

Personal replies:

sebes: Thank you! And I'm very happy to have those lots right now. I was thinking of using some of DebussyMan's older houses, which look great but don't really have the same diversity as the LBT lots. It would have been much more repetetive with those.

Yoman: Thanks! And let's hope that LBT makes them slope tolerant too then. ;)

thundercrack83: Thank you so much! It's good to see you around, as always!

bat: And that of course extends to you too, bat!

Air6: And you... sorry if my replies seem a bit generic, but I do appriciate faithful commenters, especially when they have such acomplished journals as yours, themselfs.

Berethor: Thanks! It's nice to see that you liked how I used them. I'm really looking forward to more wonderful LBT-lots. :thumbsup:

nova vesfalo: Thanks a lot! It's nice that my industrial zones are appriciated. There isn't much space for industry on Islas Gemas, but I do put a lot of work into the areas that are actually there.

Mulefisk: Thanks! It basically IS the Canary Islands. But the true scale of the real islands just isn't possible for this game so I have tweak the stuff around a lot (the map was made by HabLeUrg and the largest of the Islas Gemas is actually Tenerife scaled down to about 1/3). The rest of the islands are more or less fantasy, but the feeling I'm trying to capture is that of a less developed Canary Islands. Perhaps the way they looked 20-30 years ago...

kwakelaar: Thank you! You do raise some interesting points. About the tall flats first: I agree with this, and I actually did try to build some just above the industrial area. But in the end the terrain couldn't handle it. Those slopes are a bit steeper than they look from afar. But if it was possible I would definatly have done what you suggest. On the second note I disagree. I don't think it's necessary for the residential areas to reach the coastline in this case. Here is a Google earth shot of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and as you can see from it there are no residential structures by the coastline:

But, there will of course be more attractive coastal development later on. The south coast of Zafiro is dedicated to tourism and hotels, not industrial ports, so there's more to come...

glepet: Thank you so much! More is coming right up, by the way.

kimcar: Thanks a bunch! Hope you like the next one too...

The rest of Santiago

For this update we will have a look at the remaining parts of Santiago de Zafiro. The first stop will be the Mayors office and the area surrounding it. This used to function as a city hall before the administration grew to a size where a new building was needed for the city council of Santiago. The municpal departments are still located in the old building:

I hope you noticed the bull running wild on the top office floor in the fourth picture, by the way. :D

The new city hall was built in the 1980s and isn't located in the "nicest" part of Santiago. The area around it is mostly cheap housing and tenements:

In between the mayors office and the new city hall lies Los Jardines (the gardens), a very attractive neighbourhood with a lovely recreations area in the middle:

And we move on to the old cathedrale, Nuestra Dama (Our Lady) and the Parque Monsignore Sanabria - named after the first bishop of Islas Gemas:

It's not hard to figure out why this neighbourhood is called Modernista:

Parque de la Cruz means Park of the Cross, but has an oddly pagan feel to it:

Parque Ressurecion is a recreations area with lots of possibilities for excerise:

And now for some random closeups of areas that haven't been included in the earlier updates:

Still to come: nightshots and some moasics (all in a couple of days)...

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

sebes

Oh... these pictures are fantastic again. The modernista with the pool is great: the people will need the pool to cool off, with all that glass it must feel inside like being cooked in a microwave ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

threestooges

Another great update (though I haven't commented much, I have been popping in and out). If I may ask, what are the wall to wall buildings in the 4th pic (lucky dragon, etc) and the 1/4 circle one next to it? I really like the walls you added that surround the park/recreation area. It's a nice touch to see something small like that. It really stands out. Overall, it is really well done.

glepet

Another great update! There are some great lots that I need to search for after seeing them in your pics. :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Another beautiful update, emilin! Things in Islas Gemas are certainly coming along extraordinarily. I can't wait to see more!

Air6

WOW  :o Great update. I can't wait nightshots and mosaics $%Grinno$%

Yoman

A very nice update, the w2w looks lovely but those parks below and above the embankments are just wonderful! Especially the one in front of the church, some of the parking lot textures didn't work too well though :S

Until next time! (I'm going to begin playing Sc4 today again also, partly thanks to your inspiration and a thirst to play it :P)

HabLeUrG

Snaper

I like your update ... It's beautiful  :thumbsup:

Bravo !  &apls

bat

That's a big update and also a great one! A lot of wonderful pictures! :thumbsup:

rooker1

Great updates.  Although you have so many different kinds of bats/lots everything some how still fits together very well.  I love the horse carriage park and the small houses going up the side of the mountain.  Oh and the very modern houses look great too.
Everything is great!

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

JJ

The screens are excellent. I love the way that you have (by the looks of it) carefully thought about how you are going to place each building, the distance between each building. Your parks are also great and I love your use of custom lots(I think?). I am terrible at making custom lots, mainly because I don't have the patience to work out what each item is... I would love to use them though, but without the patience I am not going to get anywhere. Any who... back to your MD. I love how you set out the sim swim arena. This is a great MD. Think I am gonna become a fan  :thumbsup:

kimcar

&apls Very late for reply , sorry missing time. But i really enjoy your update  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Very good use of latin lots.

Strechnitz

These arw indeed wonderful updates.(I missed two, sorry)
Exelent!

Santa cruz is getting better and better. I like the way you incorporated the cathedral of the americas. and the modernita quarter is a joy to look at. The suggestion to use the palacio canton as a city hall is a very good use for this building. it has the right dimensions and monumantal facades.

Look forward to more :thumbsup:

Strech.

kwakelaar

Islas Gemas, always a joy to come back to, and another great update with close-ups from the city of Santiago.
I especially like the way you have made your parks, markets and this kind of sidewalk cafe's, they really make this city into something with its own atmosphere.

QuoteOn the second note I disagree. I don't think it's necessary for the residential areas to reach the coastline in this case. Here is a Google earth shot of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and as you can see from it there are no residential structures by the coastline:

My suggestion came about after I was looking at the positon of the city in the valley. The valley is rather narrow approaching the sea and widening out futher inland. I was thinking if there would be a place for expensive real estate it would be on those hills looking over the sea and being so close to the centre.
But I have to agree with you it is not at all necessary, just an idea ;D

nova vesfalo

a realy realy nice update ! Still that magical latin america feeling ! Love the Nostra Damas and its neighbourhood !the teraces are really greats, the gardens the terraces manage are really good addition to the district, bring some green to this ocean of red roofed buildings !

Modernista is really great, where did you find those bats ?

And the not yet included in an update pictures are wonderful specialy the one with the twin houses, the little plaza is lovely

can't wait the next update

emilin

Personal replies:

sebes: Thanks! And yes, the design looks cool but not very practical. ;D

threestooges: Thank you for stopping by. I'm not very good at keeping track of the BAT:s I use, but I think that one is known as "restaurant row" by SimGoober. The 1/4 circle is some old restaurant, possibly by Underworld.

glepet: Thank you! I wish I could be of better help in finding BAT:s, but as I said in the above answer I'm not very good at keeping track of them.

thundercrack83: Thank you so much!

Air6: Thanks! Watching your port building with great interest, myself.

Yoman: Thank you! I guess you're right about the textures too, but I'm simply too lazy to relot everything. :satisfied:

HabLeUrG: Thanks! Most of the effort is yours though. ;D

Snaper: Thank you. It's good to know it was appriciated.

bat: Thank you, bat. I wish I could make animations like the ones you do. :thumbsup:

rooker1: Thanks! That was a very kind comment you made. I have really tried to fit things together without making it look all the same everywhere, so I'm glad it didn't turn out too chaotic.

JJ: Thanks and welcome to Islas Gemas! I'm really flattered by your signature. And yes, I do try to place most buildings carefully. I do grow a lot of it, but it's really more like a plopping process since I keep changing the tax rates and custom zoning to get everything where I want it. And I bulldoze a lot too.

kimcar: Thanks! It's never too late to comment. ;D

Strechnitz: Thank you! It surprised me a little that so many of you liked the modern houses, since the BAT:s are really old. I like them too, though...

kwakelaar: Thanks! And I do appriciate suggestions like that. It was just that on that specific note I had sort of thought it through, and you basically gave me an opportunity to post some nice Google shots and keep babbling about my thoughts, hehe... :satisfied:

nova vesfalo: Thanks a bunch! I don't really remember what all thouse houses are, but I think most of them were made by Havoc and Yannis.

Santiago by night

Well, I wanted to get one last update in before the end of "special interest" month. This is Santiago de Zafiro by night, presented in four different mosaics.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Snaper

It's simply amazing  :o :o

Your mozaïcs are very beautiful ... You are the perfection in SC4 ... I love

Bravo l'ami it's beautiful  &apls &apls

jeronij

Truly exceptional pictures. Not ony realistic, but also very pleasant to the eye  :thumbsup:

Btw, I can see you have some really old lots in you plugins folder  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

HabLeUrG

woah!! this the first time i see the LBT lots at night! looks well..  :D excellent work in that night suburbs! and thanks!  ;)