• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Is theres a limit in placing props?

Started by Heblem, September 16, 2007, 09:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heblem

I lost 2 hours of lot-prop working during on my mall, when i saved and close then re-open everything i have done is lost!  :bomb:

I placed props everywhere, and i try to add some more props but i cant because if i save or i do anything my work will be lost anyway....

If theres a solution to this?

RippleJet

Yes, there is a maximum number of items you can have on a single lot.

Quote from: Heblem on September 16, 2007, 09:35:12 PM
If theres a solution to this?

Unfortunately not, in a LotConfig exemplar each item (building, prop, texture, flora, water constraint, TE tile) is given in its own property, called LotConfigPropertyLotObject, starting with number 0x88EDC900 and ending with number 0x88EDCDFF, giving a total number of 1,280 items that you can have on your lot.

Andreas

Looking at the lot layout you posted, you used a large number of individual car props on the parking lot. This will bring up the overall number of props very fast. A better way is to use the prop family that has "COM" (commercial, appear at daytime) cars in it. Since there are some 15 or 20 different props in it, you should get a random appearance with placing the same prop family item over and over again. You also don't need to stack props onto each other, since the individual items show everything from one to five cars at random.
Andreas

M4346

Alternatively you could add more parking garages? That way we can pretend that there are many cars in there, and you'll only use one prop for the garage.  ()stsfd()
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Andreas

Well, such malls rarely have parking garages. They would work for a downtown setting, but in the suburbs, where ample space is available, parking garages are too expensive to build.
Andreas

M4346

Very true.  ;) I see there is already a parking garage anyway.
New Horizons Productions

MIncroabl

Another thing you might want to consider is using base textures for your parking lots. Right now you have 18 x 24 = 432 items from base textures and about half of that from overlays. You can't avoid using a base texture for each tile, but if you use a parking lot base texture, you can save a couple of hundred overlays. The parking lot texture mega packs from STEX have lots of nice textures for this purpose.

M4346

Also you might want to decrease the size of the lot and the number of parking bays and let the end-user decide whether or not it is in an urban or suburban setting. In this way you can make a few parking bays, but ultimately let the user add on more of whatever he / she chooses (i.e. parking bays and / or parking garages).
New Horizons Productions

Filasimo

Hey all I have taken over lotting duties for Heblem and I also came up along with everyone else that the threshold can be held under if we can reduce the number of base and overlay textures. After a minor hiccup thats now fixed I will be using a mix of base and overlay textures to reduce and cut down the size of items im hoping as a result of that i can cut the number down by 100 but thats a goal i hope i can meet ill be using the NDEX parking lot textures and another set of base parking lot textures to blend well with the mall. I talked to Heblem regarding the ones he used and told him that I could offer my help and make the parking lots look more of how you see it when you go to the mall. Meaning itll have more open space of parking lots and parking lot lights and shrubbery oh yes i used the word shrubbery as used in The Holy Grail.  :D (rabbit with pointy teeth not included with this lot) I hope i can get this done by later today before i head out to my watering hole and present this to Heblem. In other words as I usually say: STAYTUNED!
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Badsim

Considering that to have an as good Lot as your BAT , you'll have to add tens of trees , tens of streetlights , tens of people props , maybe advertisings ( billboards ) , flora props and so on , the only solution (at  least  the one I'll use whatever you' ll do ) is a main Lot with the BAT and three fitting parking Lots on 3 of the 4 sides . So you can keep these overlays/grass base textures - with the  parking base textures (that I know )  It would be just a sad full "tarmacked" area .

PS ; As far I'm able to understand you Filasimo  :-[ , it seems that we're  speaking about the same solution ...  ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °