• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paroch

Adam:  I'm sorry I missed your reply from the video – by the time I saw your post it was too far developed to go back!!  And thanks for the suggestions re the retaining walls.

Jon:  Thanks Jon, I am pleased you liked the vid.

Joan:  Hey what a great comment, thanks Joan.  I have to admit I really enjoyed building the peninsular and incorporating all the different ideas.  And I get a buzz out of doing the videos as well – there's still plenty more ideas buzzing round my head!!

Bat:  I'm happy that you liked the video (I think it's the best one I've done so far!)

David:  Thanks for that.

Derry:  You're welcome my friend and thanks for the great comment – it's nice to know people appreciate the hours of work that goes into an update like that!

Pat:  Well I hope you got to see the whole vid with music Pat and thanks for your constant support here.

Maarten:  Thanks for that, always nice to get such comments.  And I like your new avatar by the way!

Shaun:  Good to see you here mate.  Glad you liked the vid, and your wish is my command re the pics......

Dave:  Thanks mate.  I'll try and find the curved library building and post you the link – can't think of the name of it at present.  It's always good to get such comments, so thanks for that and not sure about the big finale..... I'm pretty much out of developed tiles to show you now, so I'm just gonna post some of the peninsular pics in detail.

You know, the video I posted in update 71 took me about three hours to put together.  I enjoyed doing it very much, and I am very pleased with the end result.  I also know from your comments that you all liked the video as well.    So, for those who missed the last update, here it is again.......

http://www.youtube.com/v/jTP1RIV1YBo&hl=en&fs=1

Shaun suggested that he'd like to see some pics so he can see the details – well your wish is my command mate!

Today's update is going to show you how I created the Botanical Gardens which was first suggested by Shaun (Diggis):

This is the basis straight path.  I used the BSC park grass and paths textures so that it would be compatible with the BSC parks that I planned to use in other parts of the botanical gardens.  I also added a hedge on one side to give it a different, more formal appearance from the standard BSC park set.

And here you can see the paths in action, they run alongside the Diggis Shingle Bank Pond (great set btw Shaun!) and you'll notice that I also made T juntion, X junction and corner paths with the same hedges for continuity.

This lot was designed to switch the wide path from the Greenhouse into the narrow paths just shown above.  I thought the addition of the trees would just give it more of a feel of a Botanical Garden.  Again, BSC park textures are used to keep the continuity.

Here it is in-game.  You can see this lot both above and below the greenhouse.

Next on the agenda was an entrance building.  I used only a limited set of prop packs (D66 and RT plus BSC Parks), so my choice was somewhat restricted, but I settled on this building by RipTide.  The addition of the trees was just to give the lot some more interest.

This shot shows a good overview of the eastern half of the Botanical Gardens.  You can see two of the entrance lots at the bottom of the Gardens.  The insert shows a closer shot of one of the entrances.

This lot was designed with the Head Gardener's residence in mind.  I was really pleased with it – but seemed to accidentally delete the lot, as it just vanished from my plugins!  Shame, as I think it would have been a nice addition to the Gardens.

Botanical Gardens need gardens, so this lot was intended to be one of the special gardens.  I think you can see from this LE shot just how many props make up the overall effect.  D66's flowers and bushes certainly came in handy for this.

Here they are with the paths running alongside them.  You'll also notice that I used many of the "standard" BSC 2x2 Park lots throughout the Gardens.

This is the Rock Garden lot.  The idea of this was to provide some rockery and pond type gardens.

Rock Gardens next to one of the Greenhouses.

Rock Gardens clustered near one of the ponds.

Here is a 3x3 zig-zag garden, making use of D66's formal hedge garden props.

In-game shot – and yikes, there are a couple of tiles I forgot to plop on!!

The food court!  This was one of my favourites to make.  RipTide's props were just right for this.

Here it is near the pond, plus one of the 3x3 zig-zag gardens is just next to it!

This lot was intended to fill a large space in the Gardens.  It was meant to represent a tree planting area.  Funnily enough I couldn't find a space large enough to plop it, so I never got an in-game pic!!

This lot is a 6x6 formal gardens, where symmetry is key to achieving the effect I wanted.  I like to think that the fountain and the gazebos give the lot a formal and peaceful feeling.

Here you can see how by making the lots BSC Park compliant the formal gardens just slot in effortlessly with their surroundings. 

The formal pond that is part of RipTide's Palacio Cristal lot.  I knew I wanted it as part of Piccadilly's Botanical Gardens so created this very simple lot.

I think this picture demonstrates that a very simple lot can be transferred into an area that is much more complex and involved that the simple lot itself.

The large greenhouse is the centrepiece of the Botanical Gardens.  I had in mind that there would be more than one when placed in-game.  I liked the idea of symmetry for this lot and wanted some plantings in the corners. Luckily I was able to find just the prop.

A close up of one of the greenhouses.

Here's an ultra close up – which shows the fantastic level of detail RipTide provided when he made this building.

An overview of the four greenhouses located around the two ornamental ponds.  Each greenhouse contains plants from a different continent.

Piccadilly Botanical Gardens overview picture.

Well, I hope you enjoyed seeing the Gardens in more detail.  If I get the chance I'll show the rest of the peninsular tomorrow, if not it will be some time in the next week.

'til next time...................... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

TheTeaCat

Excellent Update Paul &apls

Very interesting to see how you did it all with the LE.
Your skill in using it is evident from the wonderful lots you created.
How well you blended them in with the BSC Park set and how sometimes less is more  ;) :thumbsup:

I really like how you showed the ingame shots as well
(glad I brought a thermos of tea with me for the stoll round again ::) :D)
As I just didn't get the chance to see them properly in the slideshow
You've gotten real good at them too. (3 hrs ()what()  would have taken me all day ::))

And yes I'd like to see some closeups of the Penisula too ;)

Till the next time

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

bat

Nice job on that new update! And great work on the botanical garden, it looks really nice!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pat

Paul omg wow!!!! I want those so bad!!! WOW!!!!! Stunning detail and beauty!!!! Its been my honor to come here sir and support you...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Simpson

WOw, my friend :o I love this update 72,your park is really fantastic and so réalistic.
You have done a really super work on the L.E.

Looking forward to the next update Paul  ;)

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

kwakelaar

A beautiful botanical garden :thumbsup: I also very much like how you have made your coastline with the rocky outcrops and the beach.

tooheys

What can I say, what an update. Given that most of the park is your own creation, that must have taken you many hours to complete. Worth it though, brilliant result  &apls &apls. Something I'd love to do if I could find the time.

A great finish to a great month. Keep it up Paul, I can see you being the first to 4 OSITM.

Dave

PS: "NUTs-Paroch Park Lots" is looking good  ;)

rooker1

Great work on the park and I love that you added the LE views.

Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

bob56

That's amazing! One problem with SC4 parks is you have to plop so many time-consuming puzzle pieces, but your end result is amazing! :thumbsup:
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

JBSimio

Fantastic update, Paul!!!   &apls  I really like and appreciate the fact that you've taken the time to show us all the work "behind the scenese" that you put into this park.  (On the contrary, bob56... I personally think putting those puzzles together is half the fun)

As Kwakelear said, the rocky shoreline does indeed look very good... I didn't notice it in the video, but it's a great view in the picture here.  I love the 2x2 transition lot!  It's decievingly simple looking, but I'm willing to bet it took some time to figure out how that part was going to work.  Shame to hear about the cottage lot as I really like the way that one looked too.  I could go on and on about each individual piece, but it's probably easier (on both of us!  :D) if I just summarize by saying the park as a whole came out wonderfully and the individual lots are works of art unto themselves.

My question now is, making all of these lots as you did... how much of this park did you have completely mapped out in advance vs. how much just developed as you went along?  It seems that you had some very specific things already in mind going in, but I know from my own experience that this doesn't necessarily mean you sat down with some graph paper and plotted the entire thing first either.  So I'm just curious... ;)

See you next time!
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Jmouse

You may have been away from the LE for a bit, but you've certainly come back with a bang! As if the park isn't lovely enough on its own, you've showed us how you created it! If some or all of those lots will be available on the LEX, I know just where I could use them. If not, I'll certainly use them as a pattern for Twin Pine's back yard.

Like JB, I'm wondering how much of this was planned and how much turned out to be spur-of-the moment developments. Either way, though, the finished product is absolutely stunning! Gorgeous formal gardens are something I associate with the UK, and you have done well to keep that vision in tact.

The peninsular's long-awaited development
has been a fitting cap for your third round in OSITM, and well worth waiting for. You have done some great work this month, and I hope you'll continue the trend.

Now if we could just have a bit of traffic data... :P
Joan

Lilojame

Hi!
I took me a very good 2 hours to see all the updates you posted and read all the text you have written and I have to say that I am very impressed. I will not comment on every single thing that you showed in here but I do promise to stay in tune now and be back for every update from today on that you will do. But as an overall impression of your work, I do have to say, that is superb and was interesting to see how the things were evolving.
I shall also say, that the video with the "name 8 tunes and MDs" was really great to watch. And the botanic gardens look stunning.
To sum everything up, you are doing a gorgeous job in here!

Have fun,
Karin ()borg()

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

05greene

Woo great Md

inm liking the park

just ashame ur a westham supporter ;D
Arsenal!!!!

art128

Awesome lots Paul, great work !!
The aerial view is simply awesome my friend.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Arthur .
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

paroch

I always enjoy reading the comments form West End's regular visitors and newcomers alike.  And this update has seen 5 new posters here – so a BIG thank you for dropping by.

Derry:  Hey thanks for those great comments there.  Hopefully there was enough in the thermos to last the whole trip  ;) – and here is the final pics from the peninsular.

Bat:  Thanks for stopping by.

Pat:  I'm glad you liked them.  Unfortunately the lots aren't really in a condition to make public......yet.  But I am tempted to do some more work on them (mainly things like queries, stats and icons) to get them up to LEX standards.

Flyinbird:  Welcome to West End – it's always good to see a newcomer and thanks for your comment  :)

David:  Thanks for those great words.

Kwakelar:  Hey, welcome to West End.  It's good to see you here as I have made use of your props on MANY occasions.  And thanks for your words, I enjoyed creating the rocky coast, so am pleased you noticed.

Dave:  Cheers Dave – yes it took some time to create, more on the LE side than the actual plopping.  OSITM x 4 – well that would be a dream  ()stsfd() , but it's hard to know what new I can do to keep the interest in West End going.  And as for the NUTs-Paroch Parks – hmmmmm, it seems a nice idea!

Robin:  You're welcome re the LE views.  I thought it would make a nice change!

Bob56:  Welcome to West End to you too.  I have to say that I enjoy creating parks.  The BSC alignment arrows make things much simpler, so they do save some time for sure.

Jon:  Thanks for such a detailed comment  :thumbsup:  The 2x2 connector piece was interesting because as you say, it goes from a very wide path, to a narrow path and there are so many different textures in the BSC Park set that it did take some time to get it just so.  As for the question of how well planned it was.....Certainly no paper plan was prepared.  I had a rough idea that the park would cover most of the peninsular and leave space on the south shore for the marina.  As for the layout of the park, well I know I wanted four greenhouses in a cross type formation and the formal pools in the middle of that cross seemed appropriate.  As for the rest......it was really just made up as I went along.  I knew I wanted to include Shaun's ponds and I'm pleased they fitted in so well.  Thanks for asking.

Joan:  I'm pleased you liked the update with LE views and, time permitting, I do plan to bring the lots up to scratch, maybe add in a few more lots and then work towards a LEX release.  Hopefully my response to Jon answered many of your questions.  As for formal gardens making you think of the UK....well I must admit that I did draw on some ideas from Kew Gardens (large botanical gardens in London) and Audley End House (formal mansion house and gardens in my native Essex).  Now, as for that traffic data....... maybe the next large quad as Piccadilly is now closed in my mind and I know if I go back in, I'll spend another couple of days tidying up things I don't like  ;)

Karin:  Another warm welcome to West End.  And WOW, you went through the whole MD, that is impressive  &apls .  Two hours does not surprise me, so thank you for taking that time.  And of course I'm pleased you liked the vid and the botanic gardens and I look forward to seeing you here again.

05greene:  Another warm welcome to West End.  You are the fifth new visitor after this update.  Glad you liked the park and hey, if you like football then you'll enjoy West End, we've held  a couple of MD football tournaments and ALL of my cities have plenty of footie pitches and stadium in.  I even have an update planned to honour West Ham some time soon and I just know you'll love that  :D

Arthur:  Thanks my friend, always good to see you here.

I really enjoyed being in OSITM for an amazing third time.  A BIG thanks for this has to go to you all.  If West End did not have so many visitors, it would not get there, so I want to let you know I really do appreciate your support here.  And of course a BIG thanks to the MD Mods and Staff here at SC4Devotions for making this the best place to host an MD.

Today is our last visit to Piccadilly.  I've enjoyed this quad and it was always meant to be one of the two major boroughs within West End, so hopefully I've achieved that.

Well enough words, let's have a look at the rest of the Peninsular.

The waterfront area is really popular with both tourists and residents alike.  With its mix of boats, waterfront shops, restaurants plus the Heywood Hotel Resort, it really does have something for everyone.

Here you can see a selection of the restaurants and shops.  Personally the Plaza Azteca Mexican is my favourite place to eat in Piccadilly.

The five towers stand guard over the peninsular.

This BAT by dmscopio is one I really like loads.  I think it just has something a bit different about it and I like the way three of them together work to create this image.  Placing one on a beach lot really adds to the over effect I think, so THANKS to dmscopio for thinking of that!

The beach is a popular place to hang out on a hot sunny summer's day.

And for a bit of nautical history, the Piccadilly Point Lighthouse stands proud at the tip of the Peninsular.

Of course, a visit to Piccadilly without at least some suburban housing just wouldn't be complete – so here it is!

It was Joan who suggested a zoo would be a good idea for the Peninsular, so here it is.

And to close out Piccadilly – an overview of the Peninsular.

I hope you all enjoyed Piccadilly as much as I have.  Next up in West End is..............well, I don't want to spoil the surprise.  All I'll say is the next two small quads have already been finished and are waiting for you all!

'til next time............ $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

art128

You do a superb work on this marina Paul, this place of your city is looking fine !  &apls
I think with some trees along the trams line, that could be cool !
Arthur.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

Ten fantastic pictures there for your 73rd update!!! Great work on it!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jmouse

I've seen many West End quads come and go in the past 15 months, but Piccadilly and her beautiful peninsular will remain always high among favorites. Certainly because of its beauty, but in part because you gave us a small part in designing it.

Anyone occupying one of the five towers is fortunate indeed to have such a spectacular view - from every direction. Planned or not, the positioning couldn't have been better. And I love the marina. It's just right without being overdone or skimpy. The hotels are not BATs I would have chosen for my own use, but you've placed them to best advantage. They kind of "grow on you" so to speak (sorry, stupid American expression!).

You did a really good job on the lighthouse and the neighborhoods look great. You've managed to get a lot of housing into a small space and still make the area look green and inviting. Then, the overview says it all! :thumbsup:

Hope you'll find time to package those garden lots - they are well worth the time and trouble.

Later...
Joan

Diggis

Paul,

Thank you for the botanical gardens pictures.  It was every but as stunning as it looked in the video, and then some.  And it was great to see the work you put into the lots.  I look forward to seeing these up on the LEX soon.

I think you need to redo the cottage lot, although the BSC series has a gardners compund too.  I think the pond needs something for visitors to play with along the edge.  Let me get hold of my contractors and see what they can do for you.  Dave has kindly offer to foot the bill. Said he'll pay in the usual manner.  :D