• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheep49

Great update you have there, Paul! :thumbsup: I really like the railway station and its sorroundings. Ironicly, it seems like I don't like those rowhomes, and they're landmarks in Piccadilly :D

Anyway, pic 67.05 is awesome. Mattb houses really fit there ;)

Great update. Looking forward to more! :thumbsup:
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

paroch

Derry:  Thanks for the tip re NAM controller.  I'll give that a try.  And thanks for your comments, always nice to know West End is still keeping your interest.

Joan:  The commute times are generally the biggest problem I encounter when playing the game, so yes I share the frustration!  I'm pleased you like the City Hall – it's a building called "The Loyalty Building" and is not a city hall at all, but when I saw it sat there I thought that it looked as though it should be the City Hall!
And don't worry, your GLR secret is safe with me ;)

David:  Thanks for your comments here, glad you like the little houses.

Arthur:  Good to see you again, and yes abandonment is a real problem!

Pat:  Thanks for that mate and well, the next one is here and a little different I think.

Bat:  Cheers my friend, great to see you here as always.

Matt:  We've had Pat, Bat and Matt in succession, next time I want TheTeaCat to join the same chain – we need more rhyming in West End!  Thanks for your comments, I always enjoy reading them.  And yeah, lazy sims bug me too – must introduce a "eliminate lazy sim" ordinance!  As for the buildings in 67.04....they didn't take too long, they just kinda happened!  Only on small section was plopped, and that is the shops/offices between the GLR and road near the top centre of the pic.  And yes the low density in 67.05 is like a little oasis in a sea of high risers, I just thought the contrast would look good.  And as for the city hall, you're absolutely right.  My "City Hall" is really The Loyalty Building – I just thought it looked like a city hall.  And the real in game City Hall that you see is the headquarters of the local historical society (OK, so I just made that up!!)

Dustin:  Thanks for that and I enjoyed seeing your MD.  Must go over and check out what's happened since my last visit.

Dave:  Whoa, I have a signature "style" - Not sure if that's good or bad – but I enjoy GLR and Parks so think it must be good.  And nah I'm not that patient, just got lucky there.  Thanks for your kind words.

Jon:  Cheers mate – that is indeed a compliment.  Hopefully this update will give you something specific to say ;)

Schulmanator:  Hey thanks, I appreciate your comment.

Piotr:  Thanks for being poster 900.  Your double zero award will follow soon.  Thanks for the comments and yes row homes you either love, or hate!!

Today's update (number 68) is a mix of things.  I know the Mind Scape "MD Picture Quiz" is always fun so I've kinda pinched that idea (sorry Robin, hope you forgive me) and you know I like making videos, and I also enjoy a music quiz.  So I've combined all three.

Click on the YouTube video below, turn up the volume and try and name the eight Film theme tunes ans the eight MDs that you see.  Then post you answers here.  It would also be good to say how many times you had to watch the video to work it all out.

Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/7fQS2MvLelY&hl=en&fs=1

'til next time...................... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Simpson

Your vidéo is really fantastic my friend
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Pat

Paul splendid simply splended update here and I loved the video!!! OK so 8 songs and 8 MD's hmmm lets see here...

Songs

• Indiana Jones Theme
  • ??
  • Rocky Theme
  • ??
  • Jaws
  • ??
  • Chariots of fire, i know the song but dont remeber the movie..
  • Jurasic Park theme song  ;)

MD's

• Mind Scape by Robin
  • The Region of Balnavia By Dave
  • Waterfalls... by me and thank you a million for this honor!!!
  • Covington by Jon
  • ??
  • ??
  • ??
  • ??

Well that is all I could figure out so far at 335 am cst for me lol and I got to get some sleep lol... BTW so far my count is up to at least 5x's heehehe :D :D :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Great idea Paul! Never was good at "Name that Tune," but I'll take a whack at some of the MDs:

?
Monkey Island
Ennedi Plays Shosoloza
Mind Scape
Balnavia
Waterfalls
?
Covington

Think I got at least three!
Joan

sebes

I know none of the tunes by name - but you made a great selection going twith the pictures!

The MD's I think I have more knowledge
1 Rhenen
2 ?
3 Ennedi Shosaloza
4 Mindscape
5 Balnavia
6 Waterfalls
7 EJC's?
8 Covington
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Sheep49

I have all MDs...
Rhenen
Monkey Island
Ennedi plays Shosalooza
Mind Scape
The Region of Belgravia
Waterfalls
Recreations by ejc
Covington

Themes...
Indiana Jones theme
Jaws theme
Chariots of Fire theme
Rocky theme
Jurrasic Park theme
...And nothing more :D

Good idea, by the way. And the way you made the video is superb too! :thumbsup:

See you later
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

bat

Wonderful work on that video and congrats on 900 and more replies! post 1000 will be mine...

paroch

David:  Hey thanks – but no guesses!!??

Pat:  Some nice tries there.  All of the theme tunes you guessed were right – the film was called Chariots of Fire!  And you got four of the MDs, good attempt Pat.

Joan:  All of your guesses were correct, so that's six for you!!

Sebes:  All of your MD guesses were correct (and ejc's MD is called Recreations).

Piotr:  You got all the MDs correct (although tooheys' MD is called Balnavia not Belgravia!).  And you got five of the eight film tunes – well done.

Bat:  Thanks – but no guesses?

Well, not too many attempts to guess here, so I'll give you the answers you have so far and maybe some little clues to find the missing ones:

MDs
1-Rhenen NN, by Sebes
2-Monkey Island, by Schulmanator
3-Ennedi plays Shosaloza, by Ennedi
4-Mind Scape, by rooker1
5-Balnavia, by tooheys
6-Waterfalls, by Pat
7-Recreations, by ejc
8-Covington, by JBSimio

Film Theme Tunes
1-Indiana Jones
2-.....????......  Think about ships at sea and a swashbuckling adventure
3-Rocky
4-......????......  How about a game of Quidditch
5-Jaws
6-......????......  A classic De Niro film
7-Chariots of Fire
8-Jurassic Park

And now I wanted to present Piotr his Double Zero Award for being the 900th poster in West End.

Seeing as we're on the film theme, I thought the award should be made in a video!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/puqtFQH3r3w&hl=en&fs=1

A "West End" update will follow real soon.

'til next time.......... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

bokrif

Central District is lovely!

Pat

6.) Is that DeNiro Film theme song possibility of "Falling in Love"??? Again I dont know if its the name of the song but I will bet its from this film!!!

Also thanks Paul I knew it was Chariots of Fire but I sooo didn't think that was the name of the song as well lol...

2.) hmmm "Pirates of the Carribean" come to mind about the swashbuckling adventures lol...

4.) Harry Potter!!!!

I will have to wait to till I get home to listen to the newest video siiigh, but overall the video so far is ACE!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JBSimio

Great videos, Paul!   &apls  The tribute to the Shepherd is brilliant... what a fitting idea.

I really enjoyed the first video... especially the way the music was fit to certain MDs.  The tone for some of them was amazingly accurate... the music behind Waterfalls is the best example what I mean by that.  (Although I wonder if Covington really deserved to sound so majestic!)  :D  Another thing I really noticed was the timing you used in a couple of places.    The mountain shot timed perfectly with the start of the Rocky Theme or the transitions set against the Jaws Theme.  Those are the little things that really show how much time and thought you put into these!

Looking forward to the next update!

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

paroch

Krizstian:  Hey good to see you here – thanks for the comment.

Pat:  The De Niro film was The Deer Hunter.  You got the other two though.  Thanks for your taking part here Pat.

Jon:  Glad you liked the vids.  Have to confess I really enjoy putting them together, so I suspect you'll see some more (I have been thinking about turning West End into a Video MD for a certain month – what you think?).  Thanks for your comments about the timing – I try to make it work and funnily enough as I was putting the Jurassic Park music to Covington I could almost see the Brontosaurus wandering across those rolling hills you do so well!

And so the final answers to the Film Theme / MD quiz were:

MDs
1-Rhenen NN, by Sebes
2-Monkey Island, by Schulmanator
3-Ennedi plays Shosaloza, by Ennedi
4-Mind Scape, by rooker1
5-Balnavia, by tooheys
6-Waterfalls, by Pat
7-Recreations, by ejc
8-Covington, by JBSimio

Film Theme Tunes
1-Indiana Jones
2-Pirates of the Caribbean
3-Rocky
4-Harry Potter
5-Jaws
6-The Deer Hunter
7-Chariots of Fire
8-Jurassic Park

Whilst we're on the subject of films, here is a scene from one of my favourite films.  If you've seen the film I'm sure you'll recall this scene – if not it probably won't mean much.  Can you name the film?  And why is Al Pacino's dance that bit all the more special?

http://www.youtube.com/v/dBHhSVJ_S6A&hl=en&fs=1

Here's a quick mosaic for you all to feast your eyes on!!!!

It's a slice of the action from the Edwards Bay district of Piccadilly....

I know you all want to see the peninsular – well it's only a couple of updates away now, I promise, but in the meantime, here's a little teaser for you.....

'til next time............... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Pat

geezzs paul talking about being a little teaser there and one helllova nice mosaic!!!  :thumbsup: &apls

bat

Nice mosaic there! Great work on that area!
And looking forward to the area in the teaser... ;)

Jmouse

Flawless mosaic, Paul. You've become quite a master of the technique. Glad you posted that teaser, too. Just knowing work on the peninsular is underway makes the wait a bit easier!

Later...
Joan

art128

for a little teaser, It's a (very $%Grinno$% ) little teaser  :P
the mosaic is awesome my friend, excellent work on it and on your city Paul  :thumbsup: the just thing is these dubai's luxury residential buildings, I think they don't go with your city style and they're a bit repetitive  ;) but it's just a detail  :D  The second thing I don't like is in the middle of the mosaic , this tower around little house , the transition is a bit too abrupt  ;) I really like the giant screen plaza  :thumbsup:  the road and tram layout look good  ;) just a question, why the seawalls stop in the bottom of the picture ?
Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

TheTeaCat

The scene is from "Scent of A Woman" I believe and the character that he plays is blind.

Sir I do say you have the most excellent taste both in your choices of music to accompany
your videos but also in your choice of movies too. :thumbsup:

Excellent way to honour the Shepard :thumbsup:

Superb mosaic too. Your skills have come onleaps and bounds since you started West End.  &apls
Its been a real joy following along   :D :D

Till the next time

Regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

JBSimio

Hi Paul,

The movie is definitely "Scent of a Woman" as Derry said.  I want to say the significance of the scene was simply the fact that it was his first "date" after a rather long dry spell, wasn't it?  (It's been a long time since I've seen the movie... so I'm honestly reaching here!)

On to the mosaic... Well, let's see... what can I possibly say anymore?  It looks great.   (Very original response, wouldn't you say?)  You really have an incredible knack for using buildings that I generally "don't like."  Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not knocking any of these at all.  Being a BATter myself, I find interest and wonder in just about every model that has ever been shown.  I'm speaking merely from a personal viewpoint regarding styles that may not necessarily match up with my tastes.  It certainly doesn't make them bad buildings... it just means that they don't quite match up with my own style of city building.  (For example, the Hong Kong BATs are incredible in so many ways... but at the same time, I'll probably never use them just because I rarely build skyscraper forrests.)  With that disclaimer out of the way... let me get back to my point (on the off chance that I actually have one!)  While you may use all sorts of buildings that I normally would not, you have a way of making them look perfect in your pictures.  I'm not sure why that is and I don't even care to venture a guess... all I know is that you take things that I would normally overlook and turn them into something that makes perfect sense and catches the eye in the best possible way.

I really like the avenue that goes down to the ferry dock there.  It's a fairly intense slope, but it works very well.  I may be nitpicking, but I have to say that I do have one small problem with it though.  Where does this avenue go?  Does it just turn the corner and narrow down to that road fronting the water there?  It seems to me that this would be a pretty major transportation link, but I really can't tell.  Maybe it tunnels under the other avenue and surfaces just to the left of your picture... I don't know, but I would love to find out!  ;)

Talk to you next time,
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Simpson

Wow  :o this mosaic is fabulous my friend, your city is looking so réalistic
Fantastic work  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas