• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

WELCOME TO PAGE 43!!

Great parts there of your city! Millay is looking really beautiful! And congrats for being

Quote from: paroch on October 15, 2008, 01:42:37 PM
[...] I wonder if post 900 will make you the German ambassador [...]
I will try my best! ;)

And congrats for being the 8th MD with over 20000 views (and the third MD over 43 pages)!!!

Jmouse

The Piccadilly Overview looks like it came straight off a Google Earth shot, except it's brighter, more colorful and carefully annotated! ;D Absolutely love the alleys behind the houses, and 63.08 - followed by several more shots -  really shows off the effect including paths to the houses.Did you lot the garages yourself?

The Piccanham cemetery is really impressive - a lot of work laying that out and getting it to look right.

My hat is off to your Industrial Park design. Loads of details that make me wonder how much lotting you did here. You've certainly managed to combine many elements into a very realistic scene. And I like the way the smoke stacks turned out, too.

Now I'm hoping
the peninsular's time in the spotlight is coming soon - Piccadilly is turning out really well, and the new addition can only make it better!

Later...

Joan

sebes

What an excellent return in West End Paul. The pictures are very appealing. I like how you had the suburban villas growing in rows with lanes in between. Must be a great place to live in one of those beautifull homes. 

The commercial areas are very inspiring. Pink taco's huh... &Thk/(
Is the cemetery realy is your first large one? The railyard area, of course, is my favorite. I really love you have the large yard and the container terminals connected with the spur. The positions of the yards, terminals and other industrial buildings in picture 63.18 is absolutely very much to my likings!

Although I like the chemical plants of Tag One a lot, and some grew nicely, I do think you have a bit to much clustered overthere.... But as others above seem to like it a lot, it's probably just a mather of personal taste  ;)

Looking forward to what the peninsula will be looking like... botanic gardens maybe as suggested by some? That would be just great !
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

JBSimio

Quote from: Diggis on October 16, 2008, 06:18:59 AM
You have done a great job with the industrial park.  Just like Jon really, large and dirty.  Bet it smells too.

HEY!!!  &hlp  :angrymore:  %bur2$  :D

Great update, Paul! 

I really liked 63.04... it just has a great combination of buildings and styles all mixed together.  It gives me the sense that this area has been around for a long time and seen a lot of different changes during that time.

The residential suburb pictures are also great.  Plenty of trees, lots of green, a few dirt alleys around the back, and that overall impression of "sameness."  Yep, it sounds like a suburb to me.  And I actually mean that in a good way, unlike my normal comments on suburbia! ;)  Seriously though, the continuity really does show through and the neighborhood came out very well.

I'm honored to have so much pollution named after me... I'm sure the environmental education center here would be thrilled to hear about that!  :D  I also like those chemical plants quite a bit, although I always thought they grew too easily for my tastes.  You managed to turn that to your advantage and the results really worked.  I'll have to remember that idea next time I get a whole crop of smokestacks growing again.

As I'm sure you know, there is one part of this I'm still very interested in seeing... so I'll be looking forward to the next update!

Jon

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

TheTeaCat

Fantastic update mate &apls &apls

Sorry haven't been about for a while &mmm but I'm back ;D

Looks like I got a bit of catching up to do so I'm off to put kettle on ;D
Fancy a brew?

Got this empty mug here that needs fillin' :D :D

Laters mate

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

CasperVg

A most excellent update, Millay looks like a splendid town to live (and rest - that cemetary is awesome) in, and the industrial area looks great as well, perhaps just a tad to much repetition on those smoke stacks tho.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

paroch

David:  Thanks David, always good to see your comments here and here is update 64!

Pat:  Hehehe, I try to fit as much as I can into most updates, so I'm pleased you liked it.

Krizstian:  Ahhh, the undeveloped peninsular!  Yes, I asked for some suggestions a couple of updates back and it is in development at the moment – so watch this space!  And no, there are no plans for a bridge, the bay is Piccadilly's best aspect (imo) so I won't put a bridge across it.  And Edwards Bay will feature real soon.

Dave:  Thanks – and yes MattB is a master of houses for the burbs.  I can't guarantee all pitches will be so flat in future mind!  And wow- the 1000th Tooheys post in West End, nice one.

Arthur:  Hey thanks – good to see you.

Dark Horse Spirit: Welcome to West End – always good to see a new face around here.  As for the dirt alleys – try this linkie and enjoy!

Shaun:  LOL, one reply, so many gags, it must be Shaun!!  Cheers mate – made me laugh!

Maarten  Cheers mate.

Bat:  Thanks bat – always good to see you here and yes the 900 slot will be interesting!

Joan:  Hi Joan, and thanks for that google earth comparison compliment.  As for the alleys – no they are an old download from the STEX – see the link above if you're interested.  I do think they're a nice set and not used that much.  And the industrial zone is all standard lots – no re-work from me at all.  Just a lucky selection!
The peninsular is coming – but is not yet finished!

Sebes:  Great comment – thanks.  Yes that suburb should be a nice place to live.  Get up in the morning, spend some time playing SC4 with the sun shining through the windows.  Have breakfast in the garden – nice and peaceful.  Go for a stroll in the afternoon and chat with the neighbours and then still time to go for a Pink Taco in the evening!!
Glad you liked the railyards, I don't play with them enough, so I'm pleased you think they worked.  And I know there are loads of stacks in the industrial zone – just the way they grew (I find they grow easily for me). 
And I am trying to find a nice botanical greenhouse for the peninsular!

Jon:  Yeah, I know what you mean about 64.04, looks like many UK high streets.  Glad you liked the MattB burb – I think that a good SC4 burb needs plenty of that sameness.  And it's not every day I name a large collection of polluting buildings after someone!!

Derry:  Great to see you here mate – and no worries, I've hardly been prolific myself recently.  And what a great mug you found there – love it!

Casper:  Thanks Casper.  Hehe, yeah there are quite a few smoke stacks.  I'd normally weed some out but thought I'd leave them in just for a change this time.

I'm sorry my updates have not been so frequently recently – I'm hoping to be able to give you more during November.

Let's just have a quick reminder of how Piccadilly looks:

Today we're going to focus on the area from Clement Brook, round towards Dilly and also a quick look at the Central Station:

Ok, so here we are looking across the railway from the JBS Industrial Park towards Clements Brook.  Those low density Residential Zones have sat empty for a long time now.  I think I have to accept that no-one wants to live there.  So it's time for the city council to take steps to improve the area!

We've changed the angle of the view here, and you can see some parks and green space have been built alongside the railway.  And already development has started.

And here we have the finished article.  Not only have houses developed, many of the old low wealth houses have been replaced by more modern and pleasant houses – everyone's happy!!  And if you look, you'll see the monorail on the other side of those flats.

Another angle change!  Here you can see the monorail in action. This one is headed to the city centre and has come from the airport.  This is the first time a monorail has been spotted in West End!!

Another of Piccadilly's green spaces.

The Dilly peninsular (not the undeveloped one!).  More parkland and football pitches.

Not the nicest neighbourhood in Piccadilly.  And the local young men like to race their cars up and down the small roads!

Here we are right on the edge of the city centre.  Those tower blocks have become pretty run down – which is a shame as they have great access to the transport network, green spaces and they city centre itself.

These two pictures show the mainly commercial development that has grown up on the north side of the central station.  Plenty of banks, finance and insurance companies are located here.  It's rumoured that some of them are having problems as the Credit Crunch starts to be felt in West End.

The buildings near to the station entrance are a bit more historic and house shops, restaurants, bars and smaller offices.

The south side of the station has commercial and residential developments.  Piccadilly Mutual Finance Co is housed in the building in the centre of pic 64.13 and is the largest private sector employer in Piccadilly.
The residential towers in 64.14 are very popular with the city centre office workers as they are just a short stroll to the centre.

And just to the south of 64.14 is Gilmore Gardens.  A very popular spot in the spring and summer, with roller bladers out in force.

West End is currently hosting the IPON Federers Cup.  This is a tennis tournament open to member nations of IPON.  Six teams are battling it out for ultimate tennis glory.  So far the group matches have taken place and the final will be between The Soviet Black Sea Union and Tientsin-Fort Boyart.  West End and San Pedro will play-off for third place.  Liberty Islands and The Federation of Buesti & Ravoi have already been eliminated from the competition. 

If you'd like to see more about the competition then have a look at this linkie.

Well that's all for today, I hope you enjoyed it.

'til next time................. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

CasperVg

Good work once again; I like the special lots you made for the IPON Federers club, Chrisadam's bleachers work perfectly there. Gilmore Gardens is one more proof that your modding skills are excellent, and the monorails are a very interesting idea, since it's probably the least used network throughout SimCity 4, while probably being the fasted one. It was good to have an overview of the area at the beginning of the update, since it was thus easier to place a specific shot into a larger context. One thing I noticed tho, is that you seem to have an outdated/superseeded version of the EuroRoads mod, judging from the yellow-lined overpass pieces in pictures 64.10 and 64.14. Keep on going!

Congrats on your third OSITM!
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Pat

Paul great update here as usual from you sir!!!  I can bet your butt on it that no matter what update you whip up I will always like it  :D  bad pun sorry  $%Grinno$%

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Congratulations, Paul!

The Staff

Pat

Hey Paul Congrats on your Third trip to OSITM!!! WOOOHOO!!!!  &apls &apls &apls &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

TheTeaCat

A very well Deserved Award too I might add  &apls &apls

Most excellent update too, just heading off to refill my cuppa and have a close look again :thumbsup:
Want yours filling?

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

art128

great update my friend  :thumbsup: and congrats to your third OSITM  &apls &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Three time Awardee.
Sounds really nice.  Welcome to the Club.
&apls &apls &apls
One clap for each time.  ;)
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Jmouse

I always seem to start out by thanking you for the overview, Paul, so why change a good thing! It really is an enormous help.

You did well to rezone that neighborhood
- looks great now. The monorail is an interesting sight, but I've never seen one in RL so I can't really make an informed comment. I like Clements Park (64.05) a lot, and I'm sure the world of sports better off for having those level footie pitches! $%Grinno$% And those walls around Dilly Peninsular are fantastic! That must have taken a lot of time and patience.

The Central Station complex looks good
- not really fond of the green-roofed orange buildings, but that's strictly a matter of personal taste. You've done a good job on arranging the whole area, though. Gilmore Gardens are lovely, and the IPON Federers Cup complex looks great. You did a wonderful job of designing and creating it.

Revisiting West End is like being in the company of an old friend - it's a charming and comfortable place to be!

Congratulations on being one of the first three-time OSITM awardees!

dedgren

Man, Paul- no telling what you can put in that cup... at any rate, it's yours to cyber-keep, and incredibly well-deserved.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

south park

amazing job on your city and congrat's for your third OSITM !! &apls &apls
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

bat

Update 64 is a really great update there! Nice work on it!
And looking forward to more in this month...

Also congrats for your 3rd time in the OSITM-section... :thumbsup:

bluesinjid

Wow i justed stopped by and also want to congratulate u in the O.S.I.T.M| &apls I  really like how u put a lot of parks in ur region :) But i would recommend u get the HRSP or the bullet rain mod! ( i think  it would look better)

paroch

Casper:  Hey thanks.  Glad you liked the tennis lots.  And Gilmore Gardens is not my own work they're a pack of as yet released lots from JBSimio (I luckily had my memory stick with me when I met Jon earlier in the year ;-) ).  And thanks for the tip re the Euro Road Mod – I'll have to go find the newer version.

Pat x 2:  Pat, your puns are always welcome here – and woohoo we're in OSITM together.

Dustin:  You don't know how much it means to me to be one of only two MDs to be awarded a third session in OSITM (I think there's only Mind Scape and West End).  I know West End's not been as active as usual recently so I'll do my best to give November a real good show.

Derry:  Hmmm a nice cuppa would be good thanks (but coffee for me please). 

Arthur:  Thanks for those words.

Robin:  Hey – Mind Scape is part of the furniture here at SC4D, so I'm honoured to be here with you.

Joan:  I love your comments – always some nice words and you tell me what you like in each update.  Glad you liked it and I guess I'll have to produce a new overview of Piccadilly soon to show the changes!

David:  Now there's an idea – I can keep stuff in the trophy!  Maybe if I write the prop names of all those useful ones I spot and vow to use at some time!!  Good to see you drop by.

SouthPark:  Welcome to West End and thanks for your kind words.

Bat:  Cheers bat – and I'm, pleased to be in OSITM with you too.

Bluesinjid:  Welcome to West End.  Thanks for your words and I will have to look at the HRSP – thanks for the suggestion.

Well – I have to say that I am really pleased to have a third time in OSITM and hope I can deliver up some things of interest.  There are still parts of Piccadilly to show you, but I know a few of you are waiting to see what happens on the undeveloped peninsular.  I'm not normally one for teasers – but today I'll make an exception and give you a sneak preview on somethings that may appear on that peninsular soon.

Hope you like the look of these.

'til next time............................ $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%