• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warconstruct

spendid work my friend !

Paul
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

art128

nice work my friend  :thumbsup:
but it's not Maroenestra but Maroanestra  ;) :P
EDIT => Oh 801 posts  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Jmouse

Paul, Hooter is sorry he couldn't be here in person but he's busy putting together the deal of a lifetime. However, he did ask me to tell you he's delighted to hear Wildcat Junction is participating in the tournament. He sent his best players, but I don't have to tell you that - just take a look at the stats! ;D

Later...
Joan

thundercrack83

Well the Continental Cup is off to a smashing start so far--I'm happy with things at this point!

And a big congratulations to WEST END and to you, Paul, for being our third MD here at SC4Devotion to reach 800 comments! AntigOne, Blackwater (with Islas Gemas), and now WEST END, that's a pretty good group to join, to say the least! Many congrats to you, my friend--you definitely deserve it!

Dustin

Pat

Hey paul congrats on hitting 800 replies and also the cup looks like its off to great runn!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dsrwhat316

Sorry for not being thorough with my description; I was referring to the tower with the two "sails" coming off the sides with the pointed top, just to the left of the cruise ship terminal.

Now onto the (golf) update!

Nice to see The Source represented here. I'll have to follow this a little more closely now  :thumbsup: And congrats on reaching 800 replies, that's quite a milestone! We'll be waiting for that update soon!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

paroch

Hi all, in my haste to get this update out before the next day's play at the Continental Cup I'm short of time for replies.  They will follow soon, don't worry!  All I'll say in the meantime, is thanks for taking part and for following the action.  I'm hoping to catch much of the action on TV or radio later.

OK, so the second day of golf is completed and the players are getting ready for the final day very soon.  Europe have pulled back a point to leave the match finely balanced, with a 9-7 lead to the USA.  The first team to reach 14 ½ points wins, although Europe only need 14 points to retain the trophy.

Scores from Saturday's matches as follows:

SATURDAY FOURSOMES - USA 1½-2½ EUROPE

S Cink (The Source)            lost to            I Poulter (Kaikoura)
And C Campbell (Wildcat J)                    and J Rose (Kaikoura)

J Leonard (Covington)        halved           MA Jimenez (Watersford)
And H Mahan (Wildcat J)                               and G McDowell (Maroanestra)

P Mickelson (United Stats)   lost to           H Stenson (Capporth City)
And A Kim (Greenacre)                            and O Wilson (Maroanestra)

J Furyk (United Stats)            beat             P Harrington (Watersford)
And K Perry (Greenacre)                          and R Karlson (Imaginia)

SATURDAY FOURBALLS - USA 2-2 EUROPE

B Weekley (Covington)          beat            L Westwood (West End)
And JB Holmes (Greenacre)                     and S Hansen (Imaginia)

B Curtis (The Source)              halved       S Garcia (Capporth City)
And S Stricker (United Stats)                    and P Casey (West End)

K Perry (Greenacre)                  lost to        I Poulter (Kaikoura)
And J Furyk (United Stats)                         and G McDowell (Manoanestra)

P Mickelson (United Stats)        halved       H Stenson (Capporth City)
H Mahan (Wildcat J)                                  and R Carlson (Imaginia)

OVERALL SCORE -  USA 9-7 EUROPE

My plan is to deliver a full update together with the final scores either late tonight, or early tomorrow morning.  Needless to say, I am hoping for the European MDs to put in a great performance.  The USA MDs have their big hitters playing in the early matches whereas Europe have saved theirs til late on in the order.  I'm sure it's going to be a close call.

'til later on............... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

art128

Wow  another great work  &apls but How is the winner  :P $%Grinno$% .......

Props & Texture Catalog

Pat

Paul those rounds seemed to have been a good one and your such a tease lol.... Did you learn that from Dave per chance heheheehe....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Way to go Perry (up 2 as I type this... and Kim is up 3, and Holmes is hanging in there at +1). If they keep this up, I may have to look into construction of a new clubhouse in celebration. If not, I'll have to look into who's been taking their golf cart for doughnuts on the green instead of practicing (heh heh). Quite a few of the pairings are really close right now, but we'll see.
-Matt

Fatsuhono

I love these new picture Paroch! This is a great MD, keep it up my friend! :)

paroch

David:  Thanks - it's only because of people like you who post here that West End has broken the 800 barrier, so thank you.

Piotr:  Hey thanks.

Paul:  Wow, you have made the 800th comment - thank you.  A double zero award will be coming your way soon!

Arthur x2:  Ooops, I have spelt it correctly now.

Joan:  Hehehe indeed.  Well as I type this the final set of matches are underway and it's looking good for the USA.  Your golfers play one from West End and one from Watersford today, so anything can happen!

Dustin:  Well, it's looking good for USA so far.  As I type this you have a good lead.  But I'm still hopeful we can turn things around.  And yes, I'm aware just what a mile stone West End has reached and the company it's with.  I'm not naive enough to think West End delivers the same draw dropping quality, but hopefully it's a fun place to hang out!!  And thanks for being one of West End's biggest supporters.

Pat x2:  Hey Pat good to seeya.  And I should have included New Castia in the line up - I am sorry.  And yes, wow 800 posts!  I'm well pleased.  As for teasing, well, I am typing this update as the action continues so who knows what will happen!?

Dan:  I see a player from The Source is matched up with one of West End's finest.  Remember to be kind to your hosts!!  Here's the linkie to Ill Tonkso's Spinnaker Tower.

Matt:  I'm listening to the match here and it's starting to look a little closer.  I think the Americans just have the edge though.  But certainly an exciting one.

Fatsuhono:  Welcome to West End!  Good to see you here and thanks for your great comment.

Today's update will show you around the Piccadilly Links golf course and also give you the scores of each match.  Going into the final day's 12 singles matches the score is USA 9-7 Europe.

The first team to reach 14 ½ points wins the competition.  But Europe (as holders) only need to reach 14 points to retain the trophy.

Here is an overview of the course, with the hole numbers marked on it for easy reference.

And the first match today is between Anthony Kim (Greenacre) v Sergio Garcia (Capporth City)
So Matt and Bat get us underway.
This match was very one sided, with Kim dominating from the start.  Kim wins by 5 & 4.
USA 10 - 7 EUROPE

The course starts with two par three holes, which is a bit unusual for a major golf course, but hey it gives chances for early birdies.  And hole 3 is a standard par 4.

The second match is between Hunter Mahan (Wildcat Junction) v Paul Casey (West End).
NUTs team mates Joan and Yours Truly slug it out, club to club!
And this was a much tighter match, with the lead changing.  It was all square going onto the 17th, but an amazing 40 foot putt from the Wildcat Junction golfer meant he went to the last hole one up.  But he had a nightmare of a first drive which let Casey in to win the hole and half the match.

USA 10 ½ - 7 ½ EUROPE

The fourth is the first hole where you get near to the water and is another par 4.  You can try to go over the pond, or go for the safer but longer route around it.  And the fifth hole is another short par 3.  A nice feature here is that the two greens back onto each other.

Our third match today is between Justin Leonard (Covington) v Robert Karlsson (Imaginia).
So Jon (JBSimio) is up against Maarten. 
Karlsson played some of the best golf he's ever produced and the result was never really in doubt.  Karlsson won by 5 & 3.

USA 10 ½ - 8 ½ EUROPE

The sixth hole features a pond nestled close to the green - I can tell you that it has claimed plenty of balls over the years!  And the seventh is a challenge when the wind picks up.  Don't over hit your approach shot or you'll end up on the beach!  And then the first of the long par fives is the eighth.  You need to hit your tee shot as hard as you can here.

The fourth match today is Phil Mickelson (United Stats) v Justin Rose (Kaikoura).
So Dustin faces David.  Arguably Mickleson is the USA's best player, so they need him to perform.
But even though Mickleson played some great golf, his putting let him down and even though Mickleson put in a late fight back, Rose had an easy victory by 3 & 2.

USA 10 ½ - 9 ½ EUROPE

Now this course designer was a bit of a sick sadist.  Who ever heard of three long par fives being one after the other!  Holes eight, nine and ten are certainly not for the soft hitters!  You'll be pleased of the relatively easy par three eleventh that follows them.

The fifth match is Kenny Perry (Greenacre) v Henrik Stenson (Capporth City).
So Matt takes on Bat again.  I'm sure revenge is on Bat's mind!  But Perry played very well and took an early lead which he held to win by 3 & 2.

USA 11 ½ - 9 ½ EUROPE

So here is where that horrible long hole ten ends up.  Be careful with your final shot - too hard and you'll be weeping as your ball lodges itself between those logs on the beach.  And that short eleventh is uphill, so don't leave the ball short.  If you look real careful you'll see there are bears in them there woods!

And the sixth match is between Boo Weekley (Covington) v Oliver Wilson (Maroanestra).
Jon takes on Arthur at the half way stage of the single matches.  Weekley played some amazing shots and at the half way stage looked like he'd blow Wilson away.  Wilson put a bit of a fight together but it was all in vain as Weekley won the match by 4 & 2.

USA 12 ½ - 9 ½ EUROPE

Only two points needed now for the Americans and the remaining matches are lined up in favour of the USA.

The twelfth is a tricky one, with the green being so close to the water!  And look, there's a llama on the fairway.  And there's more wildlife on the green.  Hey, stop eating my ball!

Our seventh match is between JB Holmes (Greenacre) v Soren Hansen (Imaginia)
So Matt takes on Maarten this time.  And this was an important match and also a very tight match.  With Holmes one up after fourteen holes but then Hansen fighting back to all square after fifteen.  And then Holmes going one up after sixteen.  And then finishing it off at the seventeenth to win by 2 & 1.

USA 13½ - 9 ½ EUROPE

Only one point needed now for the USA.

And there's more wildlife now.  Don't let those guys from Wildcat Junction see them, they'll have their rifles out, I know what those country folk are like!!
And look at those houses backing onto the thirteenth.  Views like that just push up the house prices.

Our eighth match sees Jim Furyk (United Stats) v Miguel Angel Jimenez (Watersford).
So Dustin and Shaun go toe to toe.  Now strictly speaking Shaun isn't a real European, but he's been in London long enough to be considered one now!

And this match was very close, being all square at the half way point.  But then Furyk started to move away with some great golf and was three up after thirteen.  Jiminez got one back but it was not enough and on the seventeenth, Furyk putted close and Jiminez could not putt out, so Furyk wins by 2 & 1.

USA 14 ½ - 9 ½ EUROPE

USA win the Continental Cup.  The other matches continue but they cannot win now.

Can you guess how many golf balls have ended up in that swimming pool?  Luckily the tree seems to save a few overhit shots. 

And now we have Stewart Cink (The Source) v Graeme McDowell (Maroanestra).
Dan takes on Arthur.  As a European I'm hoping Dan's golf is not as good as his mosaics!  And this was another tight match although MacDowell edged ahead and held it to win by 2 & 1.  A case of too little, too late.

USA 14 ½ - 10 ½ EUROPE

The fifteenth is the last of the par fives.  A devilishly long hole that someone made harder by digging a pond half way along the fairway.  Hmmmm, one of Diggis's ponds would have looked better there.

Here we have Steve Stricker (United Stats) v Ian Poulter (Kaikoura).
Dustin, our stats guru taking on the young Frenchman, David.  And Poulter has been Europe's best player of the whole competition, storming to a lead of three by hole 8.  Poulter continued to play well and won by 3 & 2.

USA 14 ½ - 11 ½ EUROPE

Now rumour has it that the extra hole is only there because a certain course designer could not count.  But I don't believe that.  I think it's true that this hole was built so that the caddies could have a go!  The sixteenth and seventeenth are both par fours, and again watch out for the water!

The penultimate match is between Ben Curtis (The Source) v Lee Westwood (West End).
So Dan comes to West End and takes on the author (if only I could fix the score!!).  Westwood has played some great golf throughout the competiton and started out well, building a lead of two.  But Curtis fought back to level by hole twelve.  However, by this stage the match didn't really count as the USA had already sewn it up but Curtis won by 2 & 1 to make a great victory for the golfer from The Source.

USA 15 ½ - 11 ½ EUROPE

Sand galore here at the last hole.  Many a dream has been broken in that bunker in front of the green.  Let's hope that today is different.

Our final match is between Chad Campbell (Wildcat Junction) v Padraig Harrington (Watersford).
So Joan plays another NUT.  But in the end this match really didn't matter and despite the lead changing a couple of times But Campbell held on to win to make the final score......

USA 16 ½ - 11 ½ EUROPE

And of course, we all know golf is a game for gentlemen (and gentle ladies!!). So please, join me for a drink in the bar when we can discuss all those shots that didn't quite work out.  And I hear Shaun had a hole in one - that means the drinks are on him!!

Thank you to EVERYONE for taking part.  I hope you enjoyed it, and Congratulations to the winning team from USA - your team played the best golf and deserved the victory.

I guess we'll do it again in two years time.

'til next time................. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Ennedi

I'm very sorry for so long absence Paul! But I'm here again  ;D

The general view of the Picadilly links Golf course is fantastic!  &apls &apls &apls I love all holes too  ;)

I was not the only person who looked at the Continental Cup in West End with a great attention. Thanks to this great event golf becomes a real passion in Shosaloza too. More and more people is interested in it

Playing this great game gives a lot of fun

But it needs much hard training too

(I know it doesn't look very professional yet, but wait a while and you will see... ;D)

West End is one of my most favourite places here in SC4D! Congratulations Paul of so great development, I suppose you have much fun with it too  :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

Adam one to many comments come to mind but I will leave those alone lol....  Paul I truly enjoyed the tour of the course and to see that USA won by a fair margine at that....  Did you make that course? Its OK that you forgot about New Castia and thank you for remembering though... Hey Drinks are half off this week in the bar here

Jmouse

Paul, this is one wicked golf course, and the finest I've ever seen in a game of SC4. There are more traps than there are in the Piney Woods of East Texas on a Friday night! Only difference is yours are legal! Very clever commentary, too, and a smashing way to round out the tourney.

BTW, Wildcat Junction officials have no idea who took a pot shot at that 12-point buck. Thank goodness the poor deer got away. ::)

Enjoy your week...
Joan

threestooges

A well played competition and a great tour of the course. 8-10 are certainly the product of someone who lost too many skins on par 3's. As far as the rest of the course goes... wait... Hole in one?... Drinks are on Shaun! Pardon me for a second... *a few moments later, sitting back down with a beverage*... ah much better, now where was I? Oh yes, I'm surprised the house by the 14th hasn't put up a saftey net yet. Maybe they golf there and want the free balls. Few golfers would go swimming to get their ball back (even for those pricey Pro-Vs). There'll be much celebration in Greenacre tonight (big golf fans, especially considering they have three representatives in this tournament, who all appear to have won). I hear their respective city councils are preparing honors for them upon their return. I should really start documenting these things, it might be interesting for people to see. Thanks for hosting us Paul, and congratulations to all who participated.
-Matt

thundercrack83

Wonderful golf course, Paul! Absolutely wonderful! If I didn't want to tear my eyes out in frustration every time I played golf (used to play pretty regularly), I'd want to play 18 there!

Keep up the good work, my friend!

Dustin

art128

awesome golf course Paul  &apls :thumbsup:

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

Great work on the golf course and wonderful pictures of it, Paul! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to a new update... ;)

dsrwhat316

Quote from: paroch on September 21, 2008, 03:01:48 PM
As a European I'm hoping Dan's golf is not as good as his mosaics!

Shows I was paying attention  :P Thanks for that subtle compliment! :thumbsup:

Imagine how the homeowners by Hole Fourteen must feel being so close to the green. I wager that more than a couple of balls have made their way into someone's living room...

I really love your golf course. That is one of things I can't make very well. After seeing this update, it has given me a few ideas for a possible future update in The Source.

I'll meet up with everyone for that drink at the bar...

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)