• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warconstruct

Hello Paul !

Superb presentation, you have make a very beautiful work, and c' of is with pleasure taken part .

You have my supports total and j' hope to be able to be available as often as possible in order to looked at l' evolution here.

As regards the previous update, I draw you my hat, c' is splendid.
You succeeded with recreated l' environment reality d' Amsterdam, which n' is not always easy under SC4 to make reproduction. Thanks to very beautiful building and these beautiful channels of PEG c' is one of the large CJ of SC4 devotion!

So long my friend , Paul .
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

MandelSoft

Great movie!  &apls

EDIT: Czech Republic - Switzerland: 1-0!!!  %BUd%
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

penguin007

Nice recreation of Amsterdam. It must have been difficult to achieve. Also your other cities look great with a nice blend between rural and urban

Will

JBSimio

Hi Paul,

I seem to have missed several excellent updates!  &apls There is so much I could talk about that it would take me forever to catch up and I'd just get confused anyway.  So, I'll just stick to a few general comments this time around.  Your tours continue to impress as do your route maps.  I noticed several plazas, squares, and parks that I really enjoyed (especially in update 41)  I'm looking forward to the big tournament.  Sorry that RL hit right around the time you announced it and that I never had a chance to respond.  Here's hoping I'll be able to keep up a little better again...

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Jmouse

Paul, the video is incredible! Each one is better than the last, so that makes this one the best ever! I know you've spent a dozen weeks creating Kingly, but from the standpoint of your greatest fan, it was worth every minute.

But what about you? Just think how far you've advanced during this time, and what you've gained! Sure, you're good at making videos now, but you've polished your "detail skills" and problem-solving abilities as well. Although I hate to see the saga of Kingly end, I'm confident that you'll have more pleasant surprises in store for us

Later...
Joan

warszawa

It's me (Austria) vs you (Croatia) tonight! :thumbsup: Can't wait for the score, and good luck! ;D

To be honest mate, I was at all bothered about the Euro 08, but since you have made this event more interesting by involving our cities as the teams, i'm starting to het hooked on the footie! $%Grinno$%

It would be very interesting to know if Piccalili is used out of the UK. I might see you on Thursday, even though I dont know what you look like, but maybe you could hold a jar of Piccalili in the middle of Piccadilly :D

That video was totally awesome, I loved seeing the trams in action moving around the city, there are LOADS of them! I feel now I know Kingly so well! I liked how you involved real life pictures as well.

Alex :)

Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

TheTeaCat

Superb vid Paul &apls
And fantastic choice with the music &apls

It really brings everything you've done with Kingly together so well and gives life to it all.
That really is some tram network you made and I like the details of the passenger numbers in the updates.
Sometimes looking at the pics is nice ( and I can appreciate all the time and effort it takes to get just so)
but getting some background info justs adds that bit extra to your updates.

Especially when you present them so well :thumbsup:
And that last vid is your best to date &apls

till the next time
regards
Derry

PS best of luck in the footie
(now if only Paulo was playing for West End  :D)
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Doctor Soul

lol paroch, I love how your tram stop names are this strange mix of English, Dutch, Danish and German. I'm guessing that's not intentional? :P

I must say that some parts really do capture the feel of Amsterdam though!

Sam

Ennedi

OK, we are waiting for our first match  ;D

Shosaloza fans came to West End in crowds. As we promised last year, our famous girl fanclub has a strong representation here

Shosaloza fans behave very friendly and there were no unpleasant accidents till today. But it would be good if Kingly Police would keep an eye out of them. The Shosaloza Customs Department spokesman informed us that some unusual stuff was confiscated at Malecon ferry port today:
A flag

...And a few strange objects  ;D

"It is rather difficult to suppose that these requisites can help with friendly contacts at the stadium or in the pub" he said. So we will see...  ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Scipio

Quote from: Doctor Soul on June 08, 2008, 06:33:13 AM
lol paroch, I love how your tram stop names are this strange mix of English, Dutch, Danish and German. I'm guessing that's not intentional? :P

I must say that some parts really do capture the feel of Amsterdam though!

Sam

I'm going to have to agree with Sam on this one.  I love the dutch feel but the random mix in of German and British names kind of bothers me.  For example instead of Westerbahn which is terribly un-dutch, (bahn = uber obviously german) try something like Westerlijn.  Even though that's not perfect dutch it's way more dutch than "bahn"

maybe it just has to do with the fact that I am sick of people saying Dutch and German are the same thing.  other than that though, looking good.  ;)

Pat

Paul wow I am at a complete loss here for words as I just dont know what to say Ive missed a lot and you been a busy little bee!!!! OK first off that video was superb to bad my work computer has no speakers  :'( :'( :'( :'(  well home computer is now off-line for now siiiiiiigh..   I cant wait to see what happens now with Devo 08!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

MandelSoft

I agree with wrong chosen names. Here are some names that could be better:

Central Station - Centraal Station is the right Dutch translation.
Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt is the right Dutch translation.
Niuewplein - The U and E must be switched (also at Cuerbendorf). Nieuwerplein is better.
Haarlemerstraat - Haarlemmerstraat is the right Dutch translation.
Westerbahn - Completely un-dutch. Station West is better.
Oosterbahn - Completely un-dutch. Station Oost is better.
Herrenbrug - Herenbrug is the right Dutch translation.
Prinzenbrug - Prinsenbrug is the right Dutch translation.
Power Plant - Here you should choose a different name, like Industrieterrein.
...dorf - ...dorp is the right Dutch translation.
... Square - ... Plein is the right Dutch translation.
... Tower -  ... Toren is the right Dutch translation.
...Platz - ...Plein is the right Dutch translation.
...Feld - ...Veld is the right Dutch translation.

Hope it helps,
MRTNRLN
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Ennedi

Hehe, I knew it  :D
German machine works good as always   ;D

Congratulations bat!  :thumbsup:
But... Kingly is a fantastic place and we have a nice evening! Paul, would you suggest any good restaurant (seafood much appreciated) and which tram should I use?

We will see what our fans will do tonight  ::)

PS. Paul, your movie is fantastic, the tram traffic is really impressive, you have more trams than cars in some places  :D More seriously, I like this movie very much! Where can I get to know how to create something like it?

Adam
New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

warszawa

Ooohhh....

(Warsaw/ Warszawa) Austria 0 - 1 Croatia (West End/ Paroch)

(Capporth City/ bat) Germany 2 - 0 Poland (Shosaloza/ Ennedi)

Ennedi

Don't worry Alex, these are not last matches!
New Horizons Productions

paroch

REPLIES

Matt
- Thanks for that and I'm happy you liked the vid, I'm glad you noticed the music matching the transitions!

Bat - Thanks for your comment.  And I have a feeling Capporth City have a great chance of winning the tournament  ::)

Paul - It is good to see a picture of the Trieste football team.  And thank you for your comments.   :thumbsup:

Mrtnrln - The first match of Devo 08 and the first victory goes to Imaginia, congratulations.  Your group matches are taking place in Balnavia and you can check out the match reports here.

Penguin/Will - I think this is your first post in West End, so welcome, good to see you here.  And thanks for your comment.  I wouldn't say the Amsterdam look was difficult, just VERY time consuming  /wrrd%&

Jon - No worries, I know how it goes.  I'm enjoying a period of activity at the moment but know it cannot last, so am enjoying it whilst it is here!  Glad you liked the updates and the park and plazas are often the bits I enjoy doing the most.  $%Grinno$%

Joan
- Well, I am pleased you like the vid.  And thanks loads for those supportive words.

Alex - Hehehe, well enjoy the football and yes Warsaw vs. West End will be interesting (replies typed before the match!).  Enjoy your trip to London, Piccadilly is always busy, it's a great area of London.  Just keep your eyes open for the Piccalilli!  And thanks for the comments re Kingly.  And yes, the full scores and reports are here - you beat me to it!!  And as Adam says, the next match between Warsaw and Shosaloza is REALLY important for your two teams   :bomb:

Derry - I seem to recall you like a bit of Morceehba as well.  They have more instrumental tracks just waiting to be used!  And yes, hmmmm, if only Paolo was still playing.  Of all the players that have come and gone, I still miss seeing him play.  He was at a West End, errrr, I mean West Ham match a couple of months back in a box there - and the whole stadium was still singing his name  ;D

Doctor Soul/Sam - Hey welcome to West End and your first post here.  It's good to see new people and especially more and more Dutch people dropping in.  And yes the names are a deliberate mix of Dutch and English.  After all Kingly is the Dutch "enclave" in West End but West End is very much meant to be in England.  As for the German - yes, I speak a little bit of German, so just used some of their words when I did not know the Dutch word.  As for Danish - well, that's anyone's guess!  And to have a Dutchman say I've captured the feel of Amsterdam, well that is a great compliment - thanks.  Btw, great user name :satisfied:

Adam - I am so glad Shosaloza is playing its group games in West End and glad to see you providing us with pics again.  Feel free to show as many crazy and funny pics as you wish!  Good luck in your matches.  It will be a tough group for both Shosaloza and West End - I suspect the match between our two nations/MDs will be the one that decides who goes through.  And for today's match you were in Charing Cross (a new city with little development so far) great seafood though near the stadium).  I will PM you about the vid making and maybe create a tut for here.  But there is one in Pat's MD as well. 

Scipio
- Welcome to West End and welcome to SC4D.  I see this is your first post in SC4Devotion.  And the names - yes, a strange mix.  The first thing I have to say is sorry!  I hope that I have not offended your language!  I love Holland and I love the Dutch people and language.  Trouble is, I do not know the language at all other than to listen to you talk - great sounds.
Kingly was never meant to be a "copy" of Amsterdam, just my interpretation of it with a West End twist.  And yes, I speak some German, so I knew bahn was rail/station, so was lazy and used that!  And no, I would never suggest the Dutch and the Deutsch are the same, they are both special for their own reasons. 
A big thank you for your comment and please come back  :thumbsup:

Pat - Hey man, don't fret.  We all know you are in a bit of up heaval at the moment, so no problems my friend.  Any Pat visit is a good visit.  As for the speakers - well it gives you an excuse to watch it again in the future!  Btw, New Castia will be providing many of the match officials in Devo 08 - so I'm sure they will be involved with some controversial decisions somewhere along the way!

Mrtnrln
- That is VERY helpful - thank you.  In my reply to Scipio I explained some of my reasoning - I hope you understand.  Interestingly (or not!) Cuerbendorf was named because the West Ham manager is Curbishley, and so it was a play on his name - so I guess it should be Ceurbendorp.  Realistically I am not likely to go back and re-name them all - but if the crop up during Devo 08 (the stadium for example) I will make sure I get them right (unless they are meant to be wrong  ;) :D ;)  )

UPDATE 44 - 8th June 2008

The anticipation has been building all week in both Kingly and Charing Cross, waiting for the first matches to kick off. 

The opening ceremony took place in Kingly's New Baastenveld Stadium.......
44.01  Opening Ceremony:

With a massive fireworks display at the end.........
44.02  Fireworks:

And fans from Warsaw were in good spirits before the game, having a kick around down by the river.
44.03  Warsaw Fans:

Whereas the home fans from West End did what they do best before a big match....
44.04  West End fans empties:

And over in Charing Cross, the fans from Capporth City and Shosaloza have been partying hard and getting ready for their opening match.

44.05  Capporth City fans do "the conga":

And Ennedi has not let us down and sent Shosaloza's finest girls to West End again!
44.06  Shosazola fans practice their goal celebrations:

Maybe West End and Shosazola will have to set up an official exchange programme after this!

And so, to the match reports.  The first match in West End was the group B encounter in Kingly's New Baastenveld Stadium between

Warsaw   and   West End

West End were forced to hang on against Warsaw to begin their Devo 2008 campaign with a win.  They were gifted what proved to be a fourth-minute winner when Luke Meldrew drilled home a penalty after Rene Aufhauser clumsily felled Ivan Olic.

Warsaw's Joachim Standfest headed their best chance wide as they finished the first half in better form.  And after the break Warsaw's Umit Korkmaz had a stinging shot well saved and Roman Kienast headed narrowly wide.

An equaliser would not have flattered a plucky Warsaw side who had to dig deep to recover from a terrible opening spell.  Warsaw went into the game knowing that if they were to rip up the form book and keep the pre-match party going, it was imperative that they got off to a good start.  But instead they quickly reinforced suggestions they would be merely making up the numbers almost as soon as they touched the ball - or not, in the case of Aufhauser.  He bundled Olic over and up stepped Meldrew to take the spot-kick and his cool finish must have impressed any watching FC Portland fans, who will be seeing him at their club next season.

But despite their obvious superiority West End created only one other decent chance, when Petric blazed over from inside the box, and they began to be complacent towards the end of the half.

And had Warsaw's giant centre-back Sebastian Prodl or Joachim Standfest been more accurate with free headers they might have snatched an equaliser.  If set-pieces had been Warsaw's only likely source of success in the first half, they came out after the break looking determined to show they could fashion something in open play.

For 20 minutes, the game was almost at a standstill and then Warsaw found some impetus and started to dictate the tempo.  Warsaw, though, are not massive outsiders for nothing and although they forced the pace they failed to really threaten.

They almost made the breakthrough when a swerving shot from Korkmaz was parried by the West End keeper and at the death, Kienast flicked a header narrowly wide.  But they ultimately paid for having a lack of real quality in the final third.

Yet the same could be said of West End, who look far from potential winners of the tournament and appear to have no-one to replace injured striker Eduardo da Silva.

The match finished:

Warsaw  0-1  West End

And later in the evening Charing Cross's Saint Mary's Stadium was host to

Capporth City   and   Shosaloza
Lukas Podolski's double ensured Capporth City made a winning start to their Devo 2008 campaign against Shosaloza at the Saint Mary's Stadium in Charing Cross.

Shosalozan-born Podolski put Capporth City on the path to a deserved victory when he slid home Miroslav Klose's pass from close range after 20 minutes.  Capporth City were dominant, with Shosaloza keeper Artur Boruc saving brilliantly from the Capporth captain Michael Ballack.

And Podolski added his second with a powerful rising volley that left Boruc helpless with 18 minutes left.

The match finished:

Capporth City  2-0  Shosaloza

Results from Saturday's Group A matches that took place in Balnavia were:

Nullabor County   0-1  Imaginia
Tales at TeaTime  2-0  Urland

For full match reports from Balnavia you can click here.

And to round out this update, I wanted to show you the top 12 pictures from Kingly.  I tried to do ten, but it was too difficult!  Today are pictures 12 through to 7.  I have added up all of the comments people made on particular pictures plus those who made votes for particular pictures.  Not 100% scientific, but these are the pictures that you have said you liked, so here goes..........

Number 12
44.07  Houseboats on Herengracht:

This is the first time this picture has been shown in West End.  Derry made the canal boats and kindly let me use them.  Trouble was, by then I had already completed development in Kingly.  But they are so good that I had to use them, so I created a custom Lot, went back into Kingly and re-did some of the canals.  I was so pleased with the result that I entered this picture into the picture competition and it made the Hall of Fame.  So whilst it's new to the West End thread, I thought it had enough votes to make the top 12 - and if I had shown it in the MD I'm sure it would have been higher up the list.

Number 11
44.08  Rembrandt Theatre and National Library:

This appeared in Update 30.  On the left is the National Library of West End.  Kingly had to campaign long and hard to have it located here instead of in the capital.  Next to it is the Rembrandt Theatre, which seemed to fit this location nicely, on the boulevard and next to the National Library.
I just wish the small pedestrianised area could look a bit busier!

Number 10
44.09  Row Houses:

This picture appeared in Update 35, the canal boat tour of Kingly.  On the left is perhaps one of the finest examples of traditional Dutch canal row houses in all of Kingly.  I think this picture just sums up what I set out to achieve in the Amsterdam recreation.

Number 9
44.10  Canal Church of Sint Beatrix:

This picture appeared in Update 30, although a zoom-out shot was in an earlier update.  The church is named after a member of the Dutch royal family.  Haarlemergold has created quite a few different churches, all of them with their own character.  This one is one of his best and I am sure I'll use it again in another city.

Number 8

44.11  Kingly Nieuwermarkt:

Ok, so it's two pictures, but the New Market/Nieuwermarkt/Nieuwerplein area got a few mentions and the combination of both pictures covers both quite well.  It was featured in Update 30.
This is a lively spot in the eastern side of the city centre.  During the day a busy market takes place around the church, so there's always people milling around.  There are some bars around the edge of the square, and it's a great place to sit and "people watch".  You can see a small park opposite the New Market, plus a ped mall that leads to a tram station.  The ped-mall is home to shops, restaurants and bars.  A pleasant place to sit in the summer.

Number 7

44.12  Brouwersgracht:

This picture was also in Update 35, the canal boat tour.  It was also entered into the Picture Competition under the title "Trams, Buses and Canal Boat Tours".  It made the Hall of Fame, which made me very happy.
Brouwersgracht is the canal that runs next to the main road into the centre from the west.  During rush hours the traffic backs up as the trams whiz past.

I hope you enjoyed the choice of pictures.  My next update will be after the Group D matches on Tuesday between Mallorca and Watersford in Wardour and United Stats of SC4D and Condor Bay in Piccadilly and will feature the top six pictures from Kingly - will your favourite be in there??

'til next time............... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

warszawa

Yes Paul - the next 2 games with Warsaw vs Capporth City and Shosaloza are very crutical. You can copy and paste the scores if you want into that Update 44 to update everyone.

The Warsaw vs West End game was very very close, but well done! Glad to see my fans are making use of the noises in the stadium and are practising thier footie down by the river :).

I can't wait for my trip to London, me and my friend are goin to go to Greenwich as both are learning sign language and he wants to get some leaflets from the main office there. We will then go to a place near Canary Wharf for something to eat before making our way back to the Piccaliliy and Westminister areas to finish off the final hours we have. It should be fun and I'll be sure to take some pictures. Hehe, look at this :

I loved all those pictures you showed me from Kingly - a beautiful reminder. You are a master at city planning and continue the awesome work Paul my mate.

Take care.
Alex :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Congratulations to the first batch of winners in Devo '08! The NUTs et al. will make a fan out this hard-headed American gal yet!  $%Grinno$%

And thanks for the pleasant memories of Kingly, Paul The fact that it has produced three Picture Comp. HOF entries is a testament to your work and attention to detail. Looking forward to savoring the last batch of photos Tuesday then moving on to the next exciting stopover in West End. And the rest of my favorites better be in there! :D

Later...
Joan

thundercrack83

Wonderful start to the tournament, Paul! I can only wait to see the fate that awaits the United Stats of SC4D against Condor Bay.

You're doing a remarkable job, here, my friend! There's so much going on, it's amazing! Keep it up!

Dustin

bat

Wonderful new update there, paroch! :thumbsup:
Also nice reports of the matches! And yes, they can win this tournament! ;)
...and when Capporth City (Germany) won its opening match, they won the tournament!

Looking forward to more...

btw, reply number 599 of West End!