• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

I just signed for the Devo08 event... it will be interesting  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Jmouse

When I saw this latest update, my first thought was, "Omigosh, where do I start?" So typically, I backtracked to the beginning of your month in OSITM. Your first offering was a well-done video seen here and a precursor of wonderful things to come.

Then throughout the month, you have showed us the heart and soul of Kingly - her intricate transport system of canals and trams amongst the bustle of a city you brought to life. And it does, indeed, have a personality of its own.

As for the update at hand, I don't know that there's any one photo I like better than another - all are very good - but 40.11 speaks to me simply because it is so typical of Kingly. And I love the flower market - 40.17 Marktpein - which I noticed is now available on the LEX. 40.18 Schippijdok is especially well executed - in it you managed to make a difficult transition look easy.

Kingly is now so much a part of West End that it's amazing to think it was once nothing but a vision superimposed on a grass-covered chunk of Sim Nation! Thank you for letting us share the creation process with you!

Later...
Joan

paroch

REPLIES:

Derry - Thanks for those words Derry, it's comments like that, that make doing an MD so worth while.

Bernhard
- Hey thanks for the comments.  And yes, I can see what you mean about Rhenenplein.  I am sure I can re-work this to make it better.  As for the railbridge at the Marktplein junction.  You know, I changed this following an earlier comment you made.  Originally the GLR went across thr rail line.  I wanted to used raised GLR but there was just not the room to have a smooth on-ramp for the GLR.  I tried many ways to make it fit without totally destroying the whole area and this was kind of the best I could do.  I know it's not perfect and I do appreciate your comments.  Next time, I'll leave myself more space!

Bat - Thanks as always for your visit.

mrtnrln - Thanks and please feel free to enter your MD into the tournament.

Jeronij - I'm glad that we have Mallorca on board.  This is your first post in West End, maybe I will be able to tempt you back soon ;)

Joan - Thanks for those warm words.  You've been West End's keenest supporter since the start, so it's always good to have such in-depth feedback.

There are only 2 places left in Devo 08, so if you want to take part, send me a PM pretty quickly!

'til next time.......... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Nardo69

I see what you mean and yes, I remember.

But as this is a tramway than can climb slopes up to 7% like a road you have my permission (I am really nice, tonight, aint I?` :D ) to sue the rather steep NAM Ramp pieces! ;)

I would definitely NOT use the elTrain to Subway Lot because of the kanal.

On the other hand we all (including me) are developing so I can accept this as an exception ;).

To all other readers: THIS IS NOT A PRECEDENCE!!!  "$Deal"$

Ennedi

It was really a great tour around Kingly during all this month!
It seems I like trams more and more... :D
The transit network you've created is really impressive. Canals look great, and they cause an additional interesting effect, they optically condense buildings and give a feeling that every square meter of space is used. It is visible on 40.09 near the bottom, and these two narrow tenements near the tram stop on 40.13 look great!

I'm very impressed, Paul, both the city and the presentation (fantastic Tram System scheme!) are fantastic!

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

paroch

REPLIES

Bernhard:  Hehehe, great comment.  It's funny, because I know the solution is not perfect.  But I guess these things happen in RL.  The tram way was built maybe when the rail line was not busy, so it just crossed the track.  Then the market place became an important part of the community and could not be changed.  Then the railway became faster, and busier, so a solution had to be found.  They could not tunnel because of the low water table and the canals and no room for a bridge for the GLR, so the "third option" was adopted.  Anyways, I really appreciate your comments here and agree that this is not a precedent for future poor planning    "$Deal"$

Adam
:  A compliment from you always means a lot, so thank you.  And yes, the central area of Kingly does have a certain, almost claustrophobic feel about it.

UPDATE 41 - 4th June 2008

Today's tram tour is going to take us on the Red Line - or Central Route.  Half of the stations on the route have already been visited whilst on the other lines, so we'll just flooks the the 12 stations we've not stopped at before.  Let's look at the route first:

41.01  Red Line - Transit Map:

We're going to travel from Nieuwplein all the way down to Luijkenplatz.  To give you an idea how busy each station is, the number of sims using each station is in brackets.

Have you still got your ticket?  Then, let's jump on board at Nieuwplein.

41.02  Nieuwplein (238):

There is a nice walk through the plaza to the New Market and Church.  This is the only plaza in Kingly not made from the light grey stone.  It was a new idea that many hoped would catch on, hence the name, Nieuwplein.  But, the city elders decided to stick with the trusted light grey stone.

For the next part of the journey from Kreijek Boulevard to Central Station, we have already seen this when on the Green line.  And from Central Station to Singel, we saw on the Brown line, so we will pick up the journey at the start of the Leidsestraat.  This street is the busiest part of the whole network:

41.03  Oosterleidse (1598):

The Leidestraat is primarily a busy shopping street.  It is always packed with tourists and locals.  But the canals are still an oasis of calm in this busy part of the city.

41.04  Trams and Canals:

41.05  Flower Market (1730):

This is the busiest tram station on the whole of the KTS.  It serves the nearby Flower Market and is also surrounded by many exclusive shops.

41.06  Timmerbrug (1220):

Here our tram is heading from left to right, over the bridge and then onto the famouse Leidseplein.

41.07  Leidseplein (914):

And now our tram enters from the right into the Leidseplein.  I suggest we get off here for a quick drink!

41.08  Corner Inn:

And if you look carefully at the Leidseplein, you'll see the Corner Inn.  And courtesy of Sebes, here it is!

41.09  Leidseplein:

41.10  Vondell Park (1392):

You can hop off here for a nice quiet stroll in Kingly's main park.  Or you can take in some culture at the Rijksmuseum.

41.11  Zijderbrug (987):

Here the tram and avenue join together to cross the canal bridge.  And for our friend Derry and other cyclists, there is a warning:

41.12  Warning:

41.13  Crossing the Avenue:

41.14  View out of the tram window:

41.15  Kaletskijdijk (820):

And here the tram returns to the relatively quieter suburb on the souther part of the city.

41.16  Guilderstraat (1135):

Guilders were, of course, the currency of Holland until the gave it up for the euro.  Well, when the first Dutch arrived in Kingly, this was an expensive suburb and to show off this fact, the road was called Guilderstraat.  Well, time has not been that kind to the neighbourhood, and now there are much more expensive parts of the city to live in.

41.17  Piersenstraat (1101):

The Piersen family are part of the Kingly "nobility" and this road is named after them.

The next three stops we have already travelled, so all that is left to show you is the terminus at.....

41.18  Luijkenplatz (378):

Our tram has entered from the right and then comes to a stop at Luijkenplatz.

I would also like to finish Kingly with a look at the bits you liked most.  So, if you have a favourite picture or three, send me a PM, or mention them in your posts and I will compile a "Best of Kingly" to say goodbye to the city in a few updates time.

We now have the full quota of 16 teams entered for DEVO 08.  Thanks to all who entered a team.  The full draw will be listed here in West End tomorrow (Thursday 5th) and in Balnavia as well.

'til next time................... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Ennedi

To be honest, I don't know what is my favourite picture: maybe Leidseplein? Or Vondell Park? Or Nieuwplein (as you see I went back and forth - and I did it several times  :D) In fact, I like them all! Those real ones too! :thumbsup:

Three suggestions (of course only to think about them, everything is very good as is):
- There are Swamper's mod "Palm to Aspen" and "Palm to Lodgepole" in the LEX, they replace palms on lots which use them. Maybe aspens would be more apropriate in Kingly?
- Maybe SFBT Diagonal Fillers set from Simcity plaza would be useful in some places?
- I see you use Ped Mall tiles extensively. Maybe it would be nice to use more fillers with props on them? You are an author of an excellent market set and you use it on plazas. But there are more open areas in your city which could look a bit more alive, for example near tram stops. If you would be interested in it, I would try to look for something for you  :)
But maybe I'm wrong, maybe the clear look of wide sidewalks is just better? Anyway, great tour, thank you for it!

Adam

PS. After looking at your pictures again I can say that the best thing for me in this update is probably the way you used narrow canals. They look fantastic together with streets, parks and small bridges!  &apls
New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Jmouse

OK, Paul, I'm going to take a stab at this, but it won't be easy! Kingly itself is a reflection of your contagious enthusiasm for Dutch BATs. Then you hit upon the most logical - and entertaining - way to put us in the middle of it all with scenic canal and tram tours.

The Red Line Tour starts with a photo I would add to my growing list of favorites were the list not already too long! Then once again, we get to pass through Leidseplein and I'm so glad you let us stop for a short break to enjoy this lovely plaza. And enjoy it I did, soaking in the adverts on the walls, the little church and the well-placed touches of color.

Then there's 41.16  Guilderstraat which speaks to me for a reason I cannot pin down. Perhaps it's the contrast between the top and bottom of the photo with that tram showing through the trees. And you have done your best job yet of slipping in RL photos to enhance the effect.

Favorites include 30.04 > Rembrandt Theatre on page 21, 31.14 > Vondell Park on page 22, 32.04 > Bell and Clock tower on page 22 and my all-time fave > 41.07  Leidseplein right here on page 29.

Absolutely love this update - in case you hadn't already guessed...
Joan

Diggis

Paul,  Great update.  :thumbsup:  Enjoyed travelling the Red line with you.  I think next time we need to stop off at one of the pubs for a pint.  ;)

Vondell Park takes my vote.  Who is your Landscape Architect?  We are always looking for talented people.  :D

paroch

REPLIES:

Adam:  Thanks for your considered thoughts on the best pics from Kingly.  It will be interesting when I go through all the comments to see which ones gained most remarks.  And thank you for your suggestions.  The palm to aspen mod I will download for sure.  And yes, I do have diagonal fillers but am taking time to get used to them!  And yes, I know I could have made more custom lots to create crowds.  And it is something I will try to adopt for future quads.  I made some for Leidseplein and know I "should" re-do parts fo Kingly - but I have to say that it is now time for me to move on, as much as I love Kingly, I need to work on something new  ::)

Joan:  Thanks for your well thought and expressed thoughts they are very kind and make me smile.  Guilderstraat, hmm I'm glad you liked it.  It's on the edge of the built up centre and the edge of suburbia and I agree that the JRJ trees make it a different kind of picture.  And thanks for your top three.  It's gonna be fun compliling the top ten!

Shaun:  Well, as you know I travel London's "red line" every day, so a pint or three near a red line station would be a good plan - and I had a feeling a landscape type pic would get your vote!!

UPDATE 42 - 5th June 2008

We now have 16 teams entered for Devo 08, so it's time to announce the teams, the groups and the venues:

There are four groups of four teams.  Each team has three matches, against each other team in their group.  3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw.  After all group matches are complete, the top two from each group progress to the next phase which is a knock-out competition.  Win and you progress, lose and you're out.  In the knock-out phase, if the match ends in a draw there is extra time, followed by penalties.
This continues until two teams remain, which is the final on 29th June.

Basically, whatever happens in Euro 08, happens here in Devo 08.

So without further ado, we can announce the draw as follows.  Not evryone got to have one of their top three choices because too many people asked for certain teams!  So those left over went into Joan's special Devo '08 hat for the luck of the draw!

The team representing each MD is in brackets.

Group A will play their group matches in Balnavia:
IMAGINIA - mrtnrln  (Czech Republic)
TALES AT TEA TIME - The Tea Cat  (Portugal)
NULLABOR COUNTY - ManuelR  (Switzerland)
URLAND - Nardo69  (Turkey)

Group B will play their group matches in West End:
WARSAW - warszawa  (Austria)
WEST END - paroch  (Croatia)
CAPPORTH CITY - bat  (Germany)
SHOSALOZA - Ennedi  (Poland)

Group C will play their group games in Balnavia:
TRIESTE - warconstruct  (France)
QUMMA - nedalezz  (Italy)
NIEUW NEDERLAND - sebes  (Holland)
BALNAVIA - tooheys  (Romania)

Group D will play their group matches in West End:
UNITED STATS OF SC4D - thundercrack83  (Greece)
WATERSFORD - Diggis  (Russia)
MALLORCA - jeronij  (Spain)
CONDOR BAY - Masochist  (Sweden)

The first matches kick off in Balnavia on Saturday with Nullabor playing Imaginia and Urland playing Tales at Tea Time.  Group B matches start on Sunday, Group C on Monday and Group D on Tuesday. 

For details of the venues in Balnavia, have a look at Dave's MD here.  I will be posting results of all matches here, plus more detailed reports of the matches taking place in West End. 

Here are the West End venues:

Group B matches will be played in Kingly and Charing Cross.

42.01  New Baastenfeld, Kingly:

42.02  Saint Mary's Stadium, Charing Cross:

Group D matches will be played in Wardour and Piccadilly

42.03  New Merry Park, Wardour:

42.04  Piccadilly Stadium, Piccadilly:

You can see that Charing Cross and Piccadilly are still being developed.  Maybe you'll see them grow during the tournament!  Indeed, the Piccadilly Stadium has yet to be officially named and will host the final.  The winner will have the stadium named in their honour!

Good luck to all taking part (and not that I'm biased but I keep my fingers crossed for all teams playing their group matches in West End ;) )

'til next time............. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Simpson

Beautiful update  :thumbsup: &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

thundercrack83

Outstanding work, Paul!

Greece, eh? I'm going to have to look into the tournament and see what kind of chances I have. The venues look fantastic, too. I can't wait for the tournament to start!

Oh, and that Red Line--Magnificent! I thought your tour of the Orange Line was good, but the Red Line was extraordinary!

Take care, my friend!

Dustin

threestooges

If I've heard the news right, Greece is the defending champ from 2004 (I need to check to make sure we're getting those games around here). Chances shouldn't be too bad. Glad to see the venues for the events (save some tickets). I would compliment you on the tram tours, but people have already taken the words out of my mouth. Suffice to say, I'm a fan of trains of all sorts, so updates like the last one are always great. Looking forward to the event.
-Matt

MandelSoft

So Imaginia represents the Czech Republic... Now DEVO '08 really starts. Great update, Paroch!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Jmouse

Ah yes, let the games begin! I'll be arriving early with a few dozen friends, so make sure we have at least 10 or 12 spots reserved in the VIP parking area for the limos. Also, please let the concierge know we'll need a mid-size conference room, with an adjacent lounge for the ladies. A few cases of Veuve Clicquot Rose and/or Laurent Perrier Brut Balthazar would be nice as well along with some chips and dips! :P

Here's to Saturday...
Joan

warszawa

I'm Austria am I? Oooh this is tense! ;D Good luck to everyone.

When I hear the word Piccadilly, I always think Piccalilly the food :D Lets just hope I dont see any piccalillys when I go to Piccadilly on thursday next week down London!

Alex
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

Ennedi

So the tournament begins tomorrow...
OK, we go!

Repeating after warszawa - good luck to everyone!
Personally I don't like the ruthless rivalization and nationalistic emotions, so the Polish national team slogan was a nice surprise for me: "...Because only sport and good fun counts!". So, let's play and have a good fun!

Adam
New Horizons Productions

paroch

REPLIES:

Simpson:  Thank you.

Dustin
:  Thanks, and yes, four years ago Greece won the tournament much to everyone's surprise.  Can lightning strike twice?  And thanks for the compliment.

Matt:  Your first post in West End I believe - welcome, good to see you here.  Tickets are available for all SC4D members!!  And if you like trains and trams, I hope you enjoy the video in this update.

Mrtnrln:  You know, I have a feeling the Czech Rep/Imaginia could do better than many expect  :thumbsup:

Joan:  As a member of the organising committee an executive box at each stadium is reserved for you.  The champagne is on ice.

Alex:  Yes Austria it is.  Of course for Warsaw, Poland would have been perfect, but Ennedi got Poland as he is Polish!!  And yes, piccalilli and Piccadilly, I can see your angle there!!  I wonder if anyone outside England knows what piccalilli is!?  And I work just around the corner from Piccadilly and can assure you there was no piccalilli there this week  ;) !!!

Adam:  Hey, nice bus there!  We'll have to keep our eyes peeled for that on the streets of Kingly and Charing Cross.  The bar owners in the two cities are already putting up "Welcome Shosaloza Fans" signs.  Feel free to entertain us here with your crazy Shosazolan stories and pictures like last time  :D

UPDATE 43 - 7th June 2008

Well the tournament kicks off this evening and a sense of anticipation is building.  Who will be crowned the DEVO 08 champion?  Which MD will be able to claim to have the greatest football team in all of the SC4D nation?  If my money was to go anywhere I'd guess it will be Capporth City or Qumma.  But football is a funny old game!

Back to West End for a moment...........

I have finished working on the Kingly quad now.  First I showed you how the city developed, then I showed you the tourist sights.  We then took a tour of the canals on a tour boat and recently I've shown you the tram network.

There is only one line left to see, the Blue Line, or Circle Route.  We've already stopped at each station, so I'll just show you some maps and close out with a video of the trams of Kingly.

43.01  Blue Line - Circle Route:

If you can recall the city, you'll notice that this route serves many of the central tourist areas.

43.02  Kingly Tram System - Network Map:

And this is the overall network map.

43.03  Amsterdam Tram Network Map:

This is the RL Amsterdam tram map.  I must confess that the Kingly map is based much more on London's underground map than Amsterdam's tram map.

43.04  Kingly Tram System - The Video
Just click on the link - turn your volume up and enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/v/0cjPQBqlegA

The video took me an absolute age to complete, so please let me know what you think.

Next time we'll have the first lot of results in from DEVO 08 and I'll start closing out Kingly with a look at the best pictures from the city, numbers 12 through to 7.

'til next time.............. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

threestooges

First post, but by no means my first visit. Thank you for the welcome, and I'll be waiting for kickoff. The video was quite well done. The music matched the pic transitions very well, and the system sure does seem to get used well. Certainly worth the time spent I think.
-Matt

bat

Sorry for missing some updates...

The Red Line - Update is excellent there!
Also wonderful pictures of the stadiums there!!! And the video is superb as well! Great pictures and animations there in it!!!

Looking forward to the first results of the DEVO '08!!!
Also to the best pictures of that city 12-7!!!