• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Province of Clontarf - Update 10 - Elsmere

Started by tooheys, June 01, 2007, 08:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

Replies:

caspervg: Hey, thanks for the comments (and glasses) Casper. Well we haven't lost too many boats yet but as the population grows, could become a problem.

TheTeaCat: Hi Derry, and not being too picky at all. Glad you noticed because I hadn't picked that up. Had deleted the high wealth (red) version, but when I downloaded jeroni's new prop pack back it came. Haven't had a chance yet, but have to fix that problem. Thanks for dropping by.

Ennedi: Thanks Adam, appreciate the great comments.

bat: Thanks bat.

Pat: Now Pat, how did you uncover Lord Howe Island :o Thanks for the compliment M8.

Jmouse: Thanks Joan, no ferry terminals this time round, but hope you enjoy.

paroch: Refer above lol. No ferries, well not yet anyway. Thanks

thundercrack83: Always great to see you dropping by Dustin. Thanks for the comments.

nedalezz: Thanks nedalezz, thanks for popping in and and pleased you enjoy.

Dapto:

Based on my lack of recent updates, it would look like I've gone into semi-retirement. But this is not the case, I still have every intention of seeing this region thru to the end. The problem is that now my interest in Lot Editing has grown, I see an empty space or a need in my region and go to work creating something to fill the gap. So I tend to work on my MD for awhile, then that light bulb in my head turns on and I'm off the the LE to do some more work. I enjoy it, but it doesn't make for quick MD updates. So please bear with me, I'll get my priorities straight one day (or not).

So here is a look at Dapto (version 2 - it has appeared before, but the area got destroyed by some major catastrophe, a giant bulldozer I think).

This is still a rural area, or will be. Thru the middle runs a RHW. I have been working on an interchange and rest area. Here are some early pics. Not a lot of traffic at the moment as there is no other developement as yet.

As always welcome your feedback.

I'll try to update a bit quicker next time.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Cheers

Dave

paroch

Wow,

That is possibly the largest service area I've seen in SC4, ever.  And I like it loads.  My only observation would be that drivers have to use the large service area "ring" to either access the service area or to change highways.  For example, if your're coming from the south and want to head west, you come off the highway, onto the ring and then have to go over three roundabouts before your reach the entrance ramp to head west.  It just seems a long way round (although I know in RL road planners have come up with similar ideas).  EDIT:  The more I look at it the more it makes sense and I struggle to see a different way of doing this!

But it does look fantastic and I understand the logic behind it.  As the "ring" is one-way road I guess that the traffic should flow freely and not cause any bottle necks.

I like the fact there is a choice of places to eat and choice of where to fill your tank.

The multi level approach is very good, it's great to see your custom LE work showed off so well and I could imagine this becoming a place drivers wanting to stop at.  Overall I have to say well done Mr Tooheys.

&apls &apls &apls

All the best,

Paul

TheTeaCat

My, my that is an impressive interchange/rest stop. &apls &apls

I had the same reservations about the junction as Paul, but it all makes sense using the OWR to stop any congestion.  :thumbsup:

Good that you have a choice of where to fill up with food /fuel. Your lots fit so well and with the amount of greenery it would seem a nice place
to stop for a break. I also like the fact that you haven't forgotten about the kiddies with 2 areas for them to play in the park area :thumbsup:

Now I was going to give you a cuppa to relax with but then I thought Dave's an Aussie and they like beer so how about some TeaBeer?

A wonderful update Dave -  well worth the wait and yes I know how easy it is to get distracted by things like the LE etc
so I can understand how easy time slips by and then you realise ooops haven't done an update for a while  :D :D

Till the next time
Regards
Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Pat

shhhh Im sneaking in here really quick Dave im supposed to be working lol.... I will get back in here after work to get a better grasp here.....

NB: OK I finaly remember what I was supposed to do sunday after work lol.... whooopsie daisy there Dave sorry about that one... OK on to the show here...  I do like the truck stops there and the surronding area...  But my one nagging question is where and how far do the workers have to travel to the gas station and resturaunts, I mean well it seems as this area is in the middle of No Man Lands...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

I think it's perfect, Dave, and have already told you so, but this time I won't forget to post in the public forum, too!

The truck stop looks right at home as do the junk food emporiums, but your use of tunnels and walls are the shining stars of this complex. I can only imagine the patience it took to prepare the ground, make sure the slopes were even and otherwise figure out all the logistics involved.

Congratulations on yet another achievement in the fascinating and mysterious (to me!) realm of transport systems.

Later...
Joan

totonono

Hi everyone!!

I just bought SC4 Deluxe and so I started to get interested in customizing the game.
I discovered this impressive website and was totally amazed by what you guys are able to do with Sim City 4!!!!!!! Your cities look a lot more realistic and fancy than mines.
I am not familiar yet with all the shortcut terms and softwares tools you use but I was wondering if your region was working with the same rules as the basic game which means you have a budget (taxes, maintenance costs, etc) and have all the parameters such as desirability, criminality, pollution, etc...?

I'am a TOTAL NOOB and won't probably never be able to create my own buildings so what are the essentials mods and files to make my cities more realistic (graphically and functionally).

Thx for your answer and congratulation!!!!!

bat

Like that work with the RHW! Also it's a wonderful area on these fantastic pictures! Looking forward to the next...

Nardo69

Hi Dave!

Well, it is not a place like one of those intersection around Frankfurt Rhein-Main airport that are congested 7/24 but somewhere on the countryside it should work and save some space and money as the rest places serve two main roads. As a big roundabout I see no problem in orientation, too. :)

I might suggest however to replace the wall of the middle upper section with some trees and greeneries, IMHO it might look better ...

Take care my friend!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

PS: Seems to be you adopted my update-"speed" lately ...  :P

thundercrack83

Whoa, that interchange looks just stunning, Dave! Fantastic work! And don't worry about splitting time between your MD and the LE, my friend--it produces some magnificent results!

Dustin

CasperVg

Nice, it's looking real great again. I think you can delete the RHW-4 starter pieces on the embanked part of the highway tho, thus not having the texturing-difference.
No glasses this time, you've had enuff' of those  ;)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Ennedi

Others told you yet that it's a great intersection, I can only agree with them. But the most important aspect of these pictures is (for me) the functionality.
- You used an area inside exits: great idea, such intersections needs much space and in most cases this space is simply lost for any development.
- You designed everything what could be useful at the interstate highway in the middle of farmland: the rest area, petrol stations and a large parking for trucks.

The realism in SC4 is not only making realistic looking pictures. It also means a realistic way of planning (we plan as we would want to use our creations in RL) and it can be seen in these pictures. In my opinion this is the best way of thinking about SC4.

Great work!  :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

stewart_garden

Long time no post.  Great to see you are still going with Balnavia Dave, and even better to see you are now making lots.  I have a cricket pitch waiting to find its way into my city.  What kind of beer does one find on tap in the members' area?  Or is that a stupid question?

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

Diggis

Looking great Dave.  I like the truck stops, looking forward to seeing them released.  &apls

paroch

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

We now go over to Kingly's Nieuw Baastenfeld Stadium for a special announcement.......

Austria and Switzerland are hosting the Euro 08 football tournament from 7th June to 29th June.  This tournament will see 16 nations compete for the honour of being crowned European Champions on 29th June in Vienna, Austria.  To coincide with this, West End and Balnavia will be co-hosting "Devo 08" from 7th June to 29th June.  This is a football tournament for MDs that reside here at SC4D, where each MD can enter their "national" team for the chance to win "Devo 08".  Each MD will be represented by a real life nation competing at Euro 08.

To enter, you must have your own MD here at SC4D.  If you qualify then please enter by sending a PM to paroch and tooheys stating the name of your MD, and clearly stating your first, second and third choices of countries you want to represent your MD.  Paroch and tooheys have already sent PMs to each other with their three preferences to avoid any chance of seeing what other people ask for first (but seeing as neither England or Australia are in Euro 08 we do not have the chance of selecting our own countries).

We will try to give everyone their first choice, but clearly there is likely to be more than one person requesting certain teams, so teams will be allocated to entrants on the following basis:

1- We will allocate all first choices before moving on to second choices.  We will then allocate all second choices before moving on to third choices.

2- We will allocate teams to entrants from their own country first.  So, if for example, two people request "Germany" as their first choice, one from United Kingdom and one from Germany, we will allocate Germany to the person from Germany.  It seems that this will give you most interest in the competition.

3- If point 2 does not give a clear answer then we will allocate teams based on the number of replies your MD has received here at SC4D according to the most recently posted stats in the SC4D MD Statistics thread.  So, if for example, one American MD and one Australian MD request France as their first choice (and nobody from France has), then point 2 will not separate them, so it will be allocated according to the number of replies in their respective MDs.  Whoever's MD has had the most replies gets their choice.

4- If it ends up that there are entrants who did not get any of their preferred choices, we will ask Jmouse to draw the names from a hat.

5- There are only 16 places available.  West End and Balnavia enter as hosts, so that leaves 14 places left.  These 14 places are available on a first come, first served basis.  Once we have received 14 entry requests the competition is full.  We will keep you updated in West End and Balnavia on how many entrants we have.  If we do not get enough entries then we will open it up to those without MDs as well.

Balnavia will be hosting the Devo 08 matches taking place in the real life Switzerland and West End will be hosting the Devo 08 matches taking place in the real life Austria.  This does not mean that Balnavia will be Switzerland or West End will be Austria as there may be a Swiss or Austrian MD that would prefer to have their own country represent them.

The countries taking part are:
Czech Republic       Austria               France               Greece
Portugal                  Croatia               Holland             Russia
Switzerland            Germany            Italy                   Spain
Turkey                    Poland               Romania            Sweden

Tooheys has been experiencing connection problems at the moment, hence my post here.  Balnavia hopes to be up and running again real soon when it will join the fun and showcase the stadia to be used during the tournament.  The first match kicks off on 7th June, so we need your entries as quickly as possible. 

Indeed, only 2 places remain now, so get your entry in quick to make sure you do not miss out.

If you're interested in the RL tournament, here is    UEFA's official site.

(btw, Dave is very modest, so I'll do a plug for him....... his storage yard lots have just been released on the LEX, go check them out).

Paul

tooheys

Hi all, please pardon the interuption to normal programming, as Devo '08 has arrived  :)

QuoteWe now have 16 teams entered for Devo 08, so it's time to announce the teams, the groups and the venues:

There are four groups of four teams.  Each team has three matches, against each other team in their group.  3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw.  After all group matches are complete, the top two from each group progress to the next phase which is a knock-out competition.  Win and you progress, lose and you're out.  In the knock-out phase, if the match ends in a draw there is extra time, followed by penalties.
This continues until two teams remain, which is the final on 29th June.

Basically, whatever happens in Euro 08, happens here in Devo 08.

So without further ado, we can announce the draw as follows.  Not evryone got to have one of their top three choices because too many people asked for certain teams!  So those left over went into Joan's special Devo '08 hat for the luck of the draw!

The team representing each MD is in brackets.

Group A will play their group matches in Balnavia:
IMAGINIA - mrtnrln  (Czech Republic)
TALES AT TEA TIME - The Tea Cat  (Portugal)
NULLABOR COUNTY - ManuelR  (Switzerland)
URLAND - Nardo69  (Turkey)

Group B will play their group matches in West End:
WARSAW - warszawa  (Austria)
WEST END - paroch  (Croatia)
CAPPORTH CITY - bat  (Germany)
SHOSAZOLA - Ennedi  (Poland)

Group C will play their group games in Balnavia:
TRIESTE - warconstruct  (France)
QUMMA - nedalezz  (Italy)
NIEUW NEDERLAND - sebes  (Holland)
BALNAVIA - tooheys  (Romania)

Group D will play their group matches in West End:
UNITED STATS OF SC4D - thundercrack83  (Greece)
WATERSFORD - Diggis  (Russia)
MALLORCA - jeronij  (Spain)
CONDOR BAY - Masochist  (Sweden)

The first matches kick off in Balnavia on Saturday with Nullabor playing Imaginia and Urland playing Tales at Tea Time.  Group B matches start on Sunday, Group C on Monday and Group D on Tuesday. 

Balnavian's love their sport but football is still in a development phase here. However, this opportunity as joint host should help increase the profile of football, particularily at junior levels. Hopefully, an exchange can be arranged with our West End friends. They could send us some soccer coaches and we could perhaps teach them something about cricket  ()stsfd()

Anyway, people have been working overtime to get our stadiums ready and here is where the Balnavian games of Devo '08 will be played.

Group A

Gladstone

The Riley Morris Stadium. Home to the Gladstone Small's  ::)

Nerang

The New Tooheys Stadium. Home to the Nerang Boomerangs, just when you think you have them beat, they'll come
straight back at you.

Group C

Newcastle

Newcastle Football Ground. Home to the 'Castle Rats. Not the best performing team,
and the stadium is often referred to as the Mouse House  $%Grinno$%

Sommersby

Nike Stadium (Hey, they paid a lot, wasn't going to knock that back) Home to the Nike Dykes, a team of
Dutch ex-patriots if you're wondering   ???

So there you have it. Except for Newcastle, the other stadiums I have put together in the last week, perhaps a bit too quickly. At the moment, the stadiums are it, no other development so I'll do some work during the tourny and show you some pic's of the developed areas.

Also I will squeeze in an update to the RHW intersection and include some overdue replies.

Good luck everyone.

GO ROMANIA (Our goal, to score a goal)

Cheers

Dave

threestooges

Well the Gladstone Smalls certainly have an intimate arena, though the practice area looks really good. I like the infrastructure surrounding the New Tooheys Stadium. Visually I think the stadium complex in Sommersby is very appealing (of course, I'm guessing they had the funds for it). Nice to see the venues and best of luck to Romaina. Strangely, scoring a goal may be all they need to do. Looking forward to the coming updates, but this one was pretty good too.
-Matt

paroch

Great stadia there Dave.  The Gladston Smalls is certainly the most impressive stadium but the Nike Stadium in Somersby is the best picture in my opinion.  I just really like the whole development around it. 

The idea of the pitches around the grounds is a good one - I guess that there will end up being quite a few impromptu games between the fans both before and after the matches!

Good luck to all taking part.  Less than 24 hours until kick off!

Paul

Jmouse

Good work on the stadia and surrounding areas, Dave. Hard to believe, but I'm actually getting excited about the tourney, and three weeks will be a long time to wait for a winner to emerge. My whole (negative) outlook on sports has been corrupted by a bunch of NUTs - whoda thunk it! :D

Looking forward to seeing new development in Balnavia...
Joan

Ennedi

Good luck to everyone!

We have something to do in West End now  ;D, but I hope we will find some time to visit Balnavia too - it's a great place!  :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

thundercrack83

Balnavia looks ready for the tournament, Dave! And so am I!

Go Greece!

Dustin