• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 28!

Great new pictures of this new tour! Great work on the orange line!!! :thumbsup:

panthersimcity4

Beautiful job! Your city is very aesthetically pleasing.  ;D :thumbsup:

warszawa

Awesomeness! The Orange Line is what panthersimcity4 said - "Very aesthetically pleasing", the BATs and canals are very well planned, I hope you continue to amaze us members and your lurkers with further updates.

:thumbsup: &apls

Just 1 question - Could you be able to give me a link for those tram lines? if possible please.

Alex
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

rooker1

Super job on the last update.  I love the stadium and the surrounding area.  Very, very well laid out.
I'm sure you will continue to amaze us with your brilliant updates.
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

FrankU

So I see you did use Oppies canals at the Damrak.

Your pictures are stunning. Must be an awful lot of work. If you think you read some jealousy here, you're completely right. I have too little time to play the game....

paroch

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

We now go over to Kingly's Nieuw Baastenfeld Stadium for a special announcement.......

Austria and Switzerland are hosting the Euro 08 football tournament from 7th June to 29th June.  This tournament will see 16 nations compete for the honour of being crowned European Champions on 29th June in Vienna, Austria.  To coincide with this, West End and Balnavia will be co-hosting "Devo 08" from 7th June to 29th June.  This is a football tournament for MDs that reside here at SC4D, where each MD can enter their "national" team for the chance to win "Devo 08".  Each MD will be represented by a real life nation competing at Euro 08.

To enter, you must have your own MD here at SC4D.  If you qualify then please enter by sending a PM to paroch and tooheys stating the name of your MD, and clearly stating your first, second and third choices of countries you want to represent your MD.  Paroch and tooheys have already sent PMs to each other with their three preferences to avoid any chance of seeing what other people ask for first (but seeing as neither England or Australia are in Euro 08 we do not have the chance of selecting our own countries).

We will try to give everyone their first choice, but clearly there is likely to be more than one person requesting certain teams, so teams will be allocated to entrants on the following basis:

1- We will allocate all first choices before moving on to second choices.  We will then allocate all second choices before moving on to third choices.

2- We will allocate teams to entrants from their own country first.  So, if for example, two people request "Germany" as their first choice, one from United Kingdom and one from Germany, we will allocate Germany to the person from Germany.  It seems that this will give you most interest in the competition.

3- If point 2 does not give a clear answer then we will allocate teams based on the number of replies your MD has received here at SC4D according to the most recently posted stats in the SC4D MD Statistics thread.  So, if for example, one American MD and one Australian MD request France as their first choice (and nobody from France has), then point 2 will not separate them, so it will be allocated according to the number of replies in their respective MDs.  Whoever's MD has had the most replies gets their choice.

4- If it ends up that there are entrants who did not get any of their preferred choices, we will ask Jmouse to draw the names from a hat.

5- There are only 16 places available.  West End and Balnavia enter as hosts, so that leaves 14 places left.  These 14 places are available on a first come, first served basis.  Once we have received 14 entry requests the competition is full.  We will keep you updated in West End and Balnavia on how many entrants we have.  If we do not get enough entries then we will open it up to those without MDs as well.

Balnavia will be hosting the Devo 08 matches taking place in the real life Switzerland and West End will be hosting the Devo 08 matches taking place in the real life Austria.  This does not mean that Balnavia will be Switzerland or West End will be Austria as there may be a Swiss or Austrian MD that would prefer to have their own country represent them.

The countries taking part are:
Czech Republic       Austria               France               Greece
Portugal                  Croatia               Holland             Russia
Switzerland            Germany            Italy                   Spain
Turkey                    Poland               Romania            Sweden

Tooheys is experiencing connection problems at the moment, so please make sure you send your PM to me.  Balnavia hopes to be up and running by the weekend when it will join the fun.  The first match kicks off on 7th June, so we need your entries as quickly as possible.  All who entered the West End tournament seemed to enjoy it, so come on in and join the fun.

If you're interested in the RL tournament, here is    UEFA's official site.

Normal West End updates (with personal replies) will resume shortly!

'til next time................ $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

TheTeaCat

I'm in :thumbsup:

pm sent :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

sebes

&hlp &hlp &hlp

Nieuw Nederland wants to be in there too!

&bis& &bis& &bis&

And we'll be going for the cup of course!

(little PM send to Paul)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Ennedi

Shosaloza is ready (girls too!  ()stsfd()), I will send PM at once!

I had much work last few days, I barely finished my update and now I'm very tired. But I'm going to return to West End tomorrow and look carefully what happened here lately!  :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Diggis

I'm in if there aren't 16.  Given I'm a kiwi and football is still called soccer there I'm not too stressed.  :P

But will be following with interest either way.  :thumbsup:

bat

Nice idea with the DEVO 08!

I also sent you (paroch) a PM!

I hope, there is still enough place!

And looking forward to more updates of WEST END... ;)

Patricius Maximus

Euro '08; interesting   %wrd

EDIT: Certainly, this is not the kind of attitude we condone around here. If you have nothing substantive to contribute, please do not contribute at all. - Dustin (thundercrack83)

freedo50

That doesn't really strike me as a particularly nice, or necessary, comment to make Patricius, if you aren't interested in Paul's (Paroch) idea, just leave the thread and go to another that does interest you. There was no need however, to post a comment which is, frankly, offensive. To use the age-old proverb, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Fred

Pat

Hey Paul this is a grand Idea!!! I will be following with intrest...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Nardo69

PM sent, I am in ;)

paroch

REPLIES:

Pat
:  Thanks Pat and hope to see you soon too - And I'm glad you like the idea of Dev 08.

Sebes:  Ah, well I made the line diagonal to be able to fit all the names in easily!  Thanks for the compliment re the stadium.  STEX is down so I cannot give you a link, but I think it is the Osaka Expo 70 stadium.  And the station is Surbiton Station by Ill Tonkso.  I know you are on a beach noe for two weeks.  I will try and have the link ready for you when you return.
And West End (or Balnavia) will be waiting for the Nieuw Nederland Orange Army!
Oh, and thanks for the link to the pic - looked painful though  :(

Joan:  And there are still a couple of trips to come!  The little structures.  Well, there are two that use the same/similar design.  The 3 tile long ones are the actual stations and the 1x1 tile is actually a bus stop.  I placed bus stops near to the tram stations to help boost their use.  And thanks for the compliment re scenery and parks.
And yes, there are more than 24 workers there, so I was surprised at the lack of use as well.
As for the stadium......as it was built on the edge of town with plenty of space around it, I thought I should use that space and parking seemed to make sense.  The stadia in the UK that are on inner city sites and have been there for 50 years plus, tend to be crammed in, with development right up to them, whereas increasingly football clubs are now building new shiny larger stadia on the edge of town with more space to breathe and with plenty of facilities, such as parking, food outlets and retail parks.  And the umbrellas - I think (and I will have to check) are by PEG.

Derry
:  Hey thanks, and glad you liked the stadium complex too.  And thanks for your Devo 08 entry.

Arne
:  Well, I have to thank you for creating that great depot.  I have a feeling it will show up in more of my cities!  And Roskilde Cathederal is looking BEUATIFUL.  I will make sure I leave some suitable comments to make sure you know just how good it's looking.  I can imagine how long that must be taking, so I forgive you if you do not visit West End so often.

Dustin
:  Well if you felt like you were riding along then I achieved my goal.  ()stsfd()

Bat:  thanks for that, and thanks for your entry to the Devo 08 tournament.

Panthersim
:  Thanks for your kind words.  :)

Alex
:  Thanks, and just a couple more updates from Kingly before I move on to a new (as yet undecided) quad.  And the tram tracks are part of NAM.  I don't have the new version installed yet (will do on the next quad).  You'll find it here on LEX.  If you don't already have it - YOU NEED IT!!!!! LOL, if you do have it, the GLR/Tram tracks show up near the very top of the "misc" transport menu.

Robin
:  Thanks, I'm glad you liked the stadium.  And thank also for the compliment re updates   :thumbsup:

FrankU:  Yes the Oppies canals do work well there.  And yes, this city has taken tooooooo much of my time.  But I have enjoyed it.  I hope you manage to find some more hours in the day to play.....and if you do, please tell me where you found them  ;)

Adam:  I am hoping that Shosazola gets drawn in the West End groups and not Balnavia, as it will be good to see your girls over here in West End again  :satisfied:

Shaun:  You're in my friend, even if you insist on calling it soccer!  Let's just hope your team don't actually pick the ball up!

Patricius Maximus:  Feel free to comment on the MD any time - something a bit more constructive next time would be appreciated.

Fred:  Well said!

Bernhard
:  Great stuff, welcome on board.

UPDATE 40 - 31st May 2008

I hope that you're not getting bored with the tram tours of Kingly.  It just seems a good way to wrap up this city, and believe me we are coming towards the end!  I started work on Kingly at the start of March, so this quad has taken up the last three months of my life.  I have become kind of obsessed by it.  I find myself sitting on the train, laying in bed, or even at my desk in the office just thinking about Kingly.  How, I can improve something, or how to make sure a certain area look right, or even what road layout to use in a given part of town.  And even worse, since I started playing with Movie Maker, I find myself planning how the next vid-clip will fit together with a certain piece of music!

So, as much as I have enjoyed Kingly, and as much as I love it, I can see that this city is nearly done and it is time for me to move on.  There are three tram routes still to look at, so the countdown to say goodbye to Kingly has started!

Today we are going to travel the Green Line, or North City Route.  Here is the transit map for the whole network (just to remind you) and also the Green line:

40.01  Kingly Tram System:

40.02  Green Line - Transit Map:

We are going to travel from Suderwald and head up towards the Central Station and then out to Ooster Park.  We've already seen the stations up to Mattbijstraat when we travelled on the Orange Line, so we'll pick it up at Portland Square.....As with previous update, station usage figures are in brackets after the station name.

40.03  Portland Square (60):

This picture is taken from the north, looking south.
Our tram is heading from right to left in this shot (waited ages for a tram to pass and then missed it!)
The main avenue at the bottom of the picture is Mattbijstraat which heads east to west into the city centre.  There are quite a few commercials along this road as there tends to be a lot of traffic on it.

40.04  Hauppen Boulevard (7):

This picture is taken looking north.  Mattbijstraat is the left to right avenue and Hauppen Boulevard itself is the avenue that heads south.  As you can see, the area is improving a bit, with a new commercial office being constructed.

40.06  View from the Tram:

40.05  Maarkenstraat (136):

Here the KTS runs parallel with the railway.  And there's a nice piece of not very subliminal advertising!

40.07  Rhenenplein (141):

This small square is named after the capital of Nieuw Nederland.  There were two groups of Dutch emigrants in the 18th century, many travelled to Nieuw Nederland to seek a new life, but as that is so far from Holland, the ones who got sea sick, or who were afraid to travel so far, emigrated to Kingly in West End as it is much closer to their ancestral home.
Many of the families here have families in Rhenen, so the square was named in their honour.  I tried to get the Nieuw Nederland flag on the plaza, but could not make it appear.

40.09  Zonderjaan (29) and Kortengracht (93):

Our tram is travelling from left to right in this picture.  Zonderjaan is the station on the left and Kortengracht on the right.  You may remember this part of the city from the canal tour.  Those buildings behind the tram route are the western edge of the central commercial zone.

40.08  Waiting for the tram after a long day:

Our next stop is the Central Station, which we have seen many times before, so we'll carry on......

40.10  Prins Hendrikkade (125):

Here you can see both train and tram together.  This station serves both commercials and the Inner Oosterdok.

40.11  Boekerstraat (183):

It's a shame you lost the roof of the tram when it's actually in the station - but hey, a minor problem.

40.12  Tram in Action:

40.13  Montells Tower (100):

Popular with both tourists and residents.  I guess you may have seen this building before in Kingly!

40.14  Niederzijs (100):

Tightly packed in residentials here.  And the underpass is the "gateway" to the Outer Oosterdok.

40.15  Kreijek Boulevard (105):

We're heading from right to left in this picture.  The branch heading upwards is the Red line towards Nieuwplein.  Not much else to say about this pic other than to admire the detail on Haarlemergold's corner building there.

40.16  Schemmelstraat (402):

Usage numbers jump up here, mainly because of the proximity to the factories.  In hindsight, I wish I'd have managed the transition from residential to industrial a bit better!

40.17  Marktpein  (142):

Whilst the flower market in the centre of town is popular with tourists, this is where the residents do their real shopping.  It's only a small market, but has a great range of fresh produce, both from West End, Holland and further afield.  And after heading under the bridge the tram is back in the industrial zone.

40.18  Schippijdok  (94):

This station serves the docks and Gratoit Motors.  The name Schippijdok comes form my very poor attempts to combine English with what little Dutch I know.  There are ships (Schippij) and it's a dock (dok), so Schippijdok!  Apologies to the Dutch readers for murdering your language!

40.19  Hofsplatz (72), Kleider (37), Oosterbahn N (22), Mattschein Dok (145):

Our tram enters from the top left.  Hofsplatz and Kleider serve the local factories in the area.  It's then on to Oosterbahn where you can change and get a train.  We then head up to Mattschein Dok, where the line joins with the Orange line and southern section of the Brown line. 
I really like the Glenni Water Treatment Plant in this pic - I think it looks just right there.

After Mattschein Dok the tram heads to Ooster Park, where it terminates.  So, I hope you enjoyed this ride.  Only two liens left now, Red and Blue.

40.20   Inside the trams:

I've put together a few pics to give you an idea of what it's like inside the trams and at the stops.  And in case you're wondering....the woman in the booth sells tickets.

A BIG thank you to Sebes for providing some of the RL photos.

Two updates back, Joan asked about how sims got to and used the trams, so here is a "transport querey" just to show you.....

40.21  Transport Querey:

Hopefully gives you some idea of how it works.

And as for DEVO 08.... Joan has designed the official logo for the tournament:

40.22 DEVO 08 logo:

So you're going to be seeing more of this over the next month.  BIG thank you to Joan for her creative genius!

We currently have 10 teams in the tournament, so there are six spaces left.  If you've not entered, please come on in and join the fun.

Oh, and my last post in OSITM.  I've enjoyed it loads, and hopefully made the most of it.  My advice to next month's OSITMs....... put a bit of extra time into your MD, and give a couple more updates than usual, it is your time in the spotlight, so make the most of it $%Grinno$%

'til next time........................... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

TheTeaCat

What a wonderful way to close out your time in OSITM  &apls &apls

I really enjoyed my time riding on the trams this month, and it certainly a unique way to display
your fantastic recreation of Amsterdam.

QuoteI started work on Kingly at the start of March, so this quad has taken up the last three months of my life.  I have become kind of obsessed by it.  I find myself sitting on the train, laying in bed, or even at my desk in the office just thinking about Kingly.  How, I can improve something, or how to make sure a certain area look right, or even what road layout to use in a given part of town.
I can understand how the last few months have been as I have spent over 4 months on one of my tiles and it is nowhere near finished
but the care and attention have shown through in the superb pics and vids you have produced recently.

I do hope you enjoyed your time in OSITM Paul because I certainly did :thumbsup:

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Nardo69

Nice idea for an update and presented in a mote than adequate way.

You said you spent three months on that square, well, sounds familiar to me. Beneath RL if you want to make it REALLY good you need that time, and me I sometimes have to leave such a square unfinished for quite some times until I get the right idea to finish some crucial points of interest on the map. Sometimes I am quite fast when I am riding a big wave of creativity but most of the time pusging pebbles is a time consuming hard piece of work but the outcome pays it all off ;)

I like especially the Markpein (142) and the last overview with the industrials and all the traffic ways coming together.

But there are two points I don't like to much:

- that intersection at Rhenenplein (141) behind the NAM overpass.  %confuso
I am not sure if its possible but a road roundabout would look better here ... it may work with the T-onslope piece but I have to confess I haven't tried it out. Another option would be cancelling that grey street and instead just go round the corner with the road and connecting the busstop with the tramway station with pedestrian malls.

- the railway overpass before Marktpein (I guess you could foresee this ... ;) )
I would try an Tramway overpass here combined with the extender piece of the PEG kanals ...

Other than that a great update that mirrors the effort and the time you spent in that square!  :satisfied:  &apls

Take care (and don't forget to make backups!)

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

bat

Fantastic looking pictures there of the green line's area there!
Wonderful work on it!!! And great end of your OSITM-month!!!

Looking forward to more in June '08!

MandelSoft

Great update! I also like the idea of DEVO '08. I can't wait for that!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE