• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

Welcome to the Classics, Paul. West End has been a constant source of inspiration and entertainment since its debut Sept. 1, 2007. Now it will take its rightful place among the all-time great regions showcased here.

Congratulations
on this achievement, and now get back to work!

Later...
Joan

*Edit* Just thought I should add a few words here explaining that I've already commented on your update privately, and really love it! :thumbsup:

Nardo69

Hi Paul!

Repetition is one of the things in SC4 that makes the players go for custom content and made plugin folders of 2 GB size and more - I am not an exception of this. And sometimes I hated these swi BATs - especially when I wanted something special from Harlemmergold etc but in that area they do look good - like one of those model social housings that have been made in a lot of places in the first half of the last century.
Brief: I like it!  :)
Only thing I don't like there are the "Bus Stop Holes" - maybe a modded bus stop with one of Swi's BAT would have been better there, giving it a "close" look if you know what I mean.

That overview is marvelous, but I am still asking myself if it wouldn't look much better with oppie's kanals - especially when I see the last pic with those zigzag - borders ...

Take care my friend - and don't forget to make backups!

Finally I must say I am a bit envious - I guess with my updating - "speed" I will never make it to the classics - anyway: Congratulation!  &apls

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

TheTeaCat

Another lovely update here Paul &apls

I like the housing complex and the way it fits in so well in the overall view &apls

Back in the classics also - nice to see you here too mate :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

JBSimio

Another great update, Paul!   &apls  I especially liked 36.04 this time for a couple reasons.  The apartment complex works very well with the repetition, but the color differences are just enough to give it some character too.  What I really like, though, is that you just used the standard medium flower gardens for your center piece.  With so much great content available, it's easy to forget that the basics are still good in their own right... and you proved that quite well here.   :thumbsup:

And of course, thank you for the link!  See you next time...

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Diggis

Great update Paul.  Makes me want to return to Holland again.  Looking forward to your tram update.

bat

Great update again there, paroch! And wonderful new pictures of that area! Like the day and night shots! Looking forward to the next update... ;)

AND CONGRATS ON MORE THAN 500 replies!! &apls

sebes

Paul - I thank you for showing this area in detail. I was indeed intrigued when seeing picture 35.8 a few pages back (link), in the canalride update.

The background story of the KBN and the surrounding housing project are very realistic. On some spots in the old town similar projets were build in the 70's, when the metro(subway) was build. Old neighbourhoods (with bad housing) were torn down and new, modern, but nowadays perceived as very ugly complexes came in return. See this picture of St Antonies Breestraat (link) (you can see Waag/Nieuwmarkt at the end of the street).
Well - I enjoyed looking at the quarter in the different zoomlevels - and I am very teased by the tram-video teaser...

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

paroch

REPLIES:

Jmouse/Joan:  Thanks for pushing West End into the 500+ comments and into the Classics section - I am very happy!  And don't worry, your "00" club honour will follow sometime soon.

Nardo69/Bernhard:  Thanks for your thoughts there.  I know what you mean how some bats just look wrong in certain places but so right in others.  And yes, I know you are right about those bus stops.  I like the SG ones and they would have looked good there, but the way my plugins are organised meant that I had to sacrifice them for this quad - but don't worry they will return in future.  And yes the diagonal canals would have been nice - but based on how long it took to lay the canals originally I think I'd be looking at about 10 hours work there to replace them all!
And as for update speed, well it is OSITM, so I am trying to keep them coming - but this weekend has been short of time, so the update is only short this time  :(

TeaCat/Derry:  Well, it's great to be in Classics.  I feel as though I'm joining some real heavyweights!

JBSimio/Jon:  You're right, we often overlook the maxis stuff - and I'm glad you like it here, it just kinda fitted.  I often use the 3x3 maxis plaza just because I like it so much.

Diggis/Shaun:  Ah, well if I'm bringing back good memories then that's good enough for me  :satisfied:

Bat:  Thanks as always and I see you're about to hit 500 as well (I think everyone is waiting, wanting to be number 500!)

Sebes:  Cheers for posting that pic - very interesting with the bikes and the Waag in the background.  Funnily enough I used to work for ABN (a long time ago before it merged with Amro) so the KBN/ABN link seemed appropriate.

UPDATE 37:  18th May 2008

Well, I've been working on my tram update but it's taking longer than I expected, plus I've been distracted by a couple of other things.  So today's update is a small one for me, I hope you'll forgive me.  But it has still taken a long time to put together!  Looking at the week ahead of me, I think the next update will be next weekend - it's a 3 day weekend here, so hopefully I'll get more done!

37.01  Tram Layout Overview:

Here is an overview of the city as it stands today.  I've placed a name tag in each of the tram stations with its name.  (I missed one out though, 'doh).
You can also see that the north bank is getting more developed now.  Still using only Vanderaap and Haarlemergold, but no canals.

37.02  Transit Map of Kingly:

And here is the official Kingly transit map.  There are five lines as follows:

Red Line:  Nieuwplein to Luijkenplatz via Central Station and Leidseplein.

Brown Line:  Ooster Park loop.  From Ooster Park, via Rembrandt Square, Damrak and Central Station back out to Ooster Park.

Green Line:  Ooster Park to Suderwald via Central Station and Rhenenplein.

Orange Line:  Ooster Park to Suderwald via Rembrandt Square and Leidseplein.

Blue Line
:  Circle route serving Central Station, Dam Square, Rembrandt Square, Vondell Park and Rhenenplein.

Future updates will give you a closer look at each route, with some facts and figures plus some pictures.

In the meantime here is a VERY quick little vid.  I've been playing around with the in-game animation recorder.  I need to see how long a clip I can record, but thought you may be interested to see how it looks.  Be warned, it is REAL short!  It's looking at the junction of Leidsestraat and Singel.  The first tram you'll see is a "blue" circle line tram and the second is an "orange" line tram heading down towards Leidseplein.

37.03  Quick Tram Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/v/VyQZ0mZ5dCc

'til next time............... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

TheTeaCat

Yep you were right that was quick :D :D

Great transportation map and having the stations pointed out really helped in seeing the general layout of the network &apls &apls

Take your time with the update as it will be special I think, just like this was ;D ;D

:satisfied:

TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Jmouse

Quick video, yes, but a very effective teaser, Paul! That transit map is fantastic, BTW, and the annotated overview must have taken hours! So you've left me standing at the station, ticket in hand, waiting to see more!

Later, but not too late!
Joan

thundercrack83

I LOVE that transit map, Paul! I just love it!

Oh, and by the way, when your time in OSITM is up at the end of the month, you'll be headed to the Classics! Congratulations, my friend!

Dustin

paroch

REPLIES:

Derry: Well that is probably the shortest vid to be posted on any MD to date!  I'm glad you liked the transportation map.  Gradually putting the next update together.

Joan:  Glad you liked the teaser - there will be more to come......later.  And believe it or not, the overview didn't take too long to put together, whereas that transit map took a couple of hours!  Just hold on to that ticket.

Dustin:  Glad you appreciated the transit map and thanks for the welcome to Classics  :)

DOUBLE ZERO UPDATE:  19th May 2008

For a reminder of the previous "double zeros" click here.

Post 500 - Jmouse 16 May 2008
Joan (Jmouse) has made more posts here in West End than anybody else (in fact she has made 65 posts here, about 12% of all posts made), so it is only right that she bagged the 500th post and joined the illustrious members of the double zero club. 
If you've been following Joan's "Mouse House" thread, you'll know how much time and effort she has put into learning to bat, so in honour of Joan's commitment to both West End and The Mouse House, Jmouse, is hereby declared official house builder to West End:

37.04  In honour of Jmouse:

And here is a teaser for the next update:

37.05  Central Station Trams:

'til next time....... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Ennedi

Mouse House!  &dance &dance &dance
That's a really well deserved honour, Joan!

Paul, I just love your tram video!  :D :thumbsup:
And your railway and tram station is excellent, what will we see next?...
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

thundercrack83

Hey, congratulations, Joan! The Mouse Houses look fantastic!

And congrats again to you, Paul, for 500+ comments! I look forward to the Central Station update!

Dustin

Jmouse

Oh, Paul, I love it! :D Really I do. You're too good to me! It was my pleasure to make the post which propelled you into the Classic Section, but it was your hard work and dedication that made the opportunity possible. The Mouse really does need to find a paint sale and cover up that awful orange exterior, BTW! In its present state, one MH goes a long way, but hundreds of them are a bit much! :o

On another track
, faithful West End follower and supporter that I am, my tram ticket is starting to burn a hole in my pocketbook! You always do make the wait more than worth while though, and I'm sure this time will be no exception!

Until the next tram arrives...
Joan

bat

That's a very nice Transit Map of Kingly there! Also nice little tram video!

And the teaser for the next update is also very good!

And congrats to Jmouse for posting here the 500th comment!! ;)

Diggis

Congrats Joan, and congraulations on your first subdivision.  Although I think next time let me know and I'll sort you out a better landscape architect.  :D

Pat

WOW Paul Ive missed a few here baaaaad me, Im sowwies!!!! Doing some great stuff here and I loved the tram clip and the Jmouse subdivision!!!  Also a congrats to you Joan for bringing Paul to the classics after he leaves OSITM and also making the most post here!!!

One question though Paul who would be second in the post here???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

Paul - catching for breath after two great updates. The transit map is very good - and I will come very handy for sure during the promissed ride that we'll make soon. I have absolute no clue how to make things like that - and especially when noticing how professional it's looking I am starting to admire you even more. This MD, starting with the first soccer competition ever, then with the picture "contest" that you did, the amsterdam rebuilding, the video's and the tram map now is absolutely giving more dimensions to the section. You can be proud of yourself my friend!

I blinked so missed the fun in the video (  $%Grinno$% not) ... I absolutely love it. It's seems the quality is also improving compared to the first video, or is it just that in my head you're slowly turning into a MD-god being able to do just about everything and just about perfect? Or am I just being so thrilled from exitement...

The mouse-house 00-tribute is a very nice gesture - Joan deserves that for all her contributions. 

Looking forward to what will be comming next Paul....  :thumbsup:

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

tooheys

Well its ummmm, hmmmmm, huh, well ORANGE ;D I think you might need an exterminator my friend, those meeces can get out of control, and look like they already have  ::)

Always a pleasure to visit West End and you continue to impress. Nice work with the transportation map and I like how you have shown the stops in the overview  :thumbsup:

And welcome to the classics. Well deserved.

Dave