• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTeaCat

Ohh very nice indeed.  &apls
I like the way everything integrates so well. there is a logic to it all and it blends seemlessly - well done.

The double bridge look good - musta taken some time to get them identical yes I'm impressed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

bokrif

Really nice job.
Though:
a; the diagonal buildings will sure help! :P
b; you should change that double rail bridge, where the the central part is missing. It looks bad. I know, it is the problem of the lot, but still, looks bad.
I repeat, really nice job, you 've done Paroch! :)

squidi

i love the the overview from the last update it looks absolutly perfect
the slope from 23.13 is also something what catched my eyes and i also like your last picture alot with all the trees and the soccerfield

paroch

REPLIES:

Sebes:  Thanks for the link to the pic of the Emmeloord tower.  It's funny, the RL pic looks as though it could have been taken in one of Wardour's suburbs, with Jeronij's side street modd!  I like your description of Wardour being "sparkling".  And the UK version of SC4 defaults to left hand drive, so I've just stuck with it.  Glad you feel "at home" here - you're one of West End's frequent visitors and ALWAYS welcome :thumbsup:

Bat:  Thank you for those words and your support.

Warconstruct: Thanks for that.  I'm not sure of your question about the bridges in picture 11.  I created these by using the "rain tool" and then dragging the bridge over the "rain area".  There is a great tutorial on this somewhere, if you would like a link to it please say and I will look for it for you.

Joan: Yes, I actually planned out the main roads and rails in advance this time (too often I make it up as I go along).  Glad you liked the junctions and of course the Dunrose Union Crossing.  Wardour is complete now, so Dora Bay will have to wait for somewhere else  &mmm

Nedalezz: Indeed, a few more fillers make a big difference - thanks for noticing! :)

Tea Cat:  Cheers for the compliment.  As for the double bridge - I had twin rails, so had to put two bridges in.  I would have liked them side by side but I don't think the game allows you to do this, so the one tile gap was the compromise. 

Bokrif:
  Good to see you here again.  Yes, I really need to tidy up my landmarks menu so that I can find those diagonals!  And I know what you mean about the rail bridges.  I think it's the lack of supports underneath the bridge that make them look a little odd.

Squidi:  Welcome to West End  $%Grinno$%, I think this is your first visit.  And thank you for such great words.

UPDATE 24 - 23rd February 2008

OK, this is our last visit to Wardour.  The quad is now completed  ;D.  The original Wardour had a population of 49,000.  The new Wardour has 61,000 sims, so it's a bit bigger than before.  But it is also more rural, with plenty of farms in the valley and a lot of trees up on the hills.  Some industrial parks provide plenty of jobs and there is some commercial activity in the town as well.  But Wardour is really a commuter town, where most residents travel outside of the town to their jobs in Great Portland, Regent and Oxford.

The final update will give you some overviews and then look at some of the residentials:

24.01  Wardour Overview:

With hidsight, maybe I should have put the river a bit more to the centre of the tile and built the centre of the town along the river banks.  But overall, I am pleased with the result.

24.02  Traffic Congestion:

Traffic is flowing freely on all of the major routes.  Some side streets are a bit busy, but nothing disastrous.

24.03  Crime Data:

Crime is often one of my weak points.  I focus on building the city, then afterwards remember that I really should have placed some police stations!  Still, nothing too bad here.

24.04  Low Wealth Rules:

Here is the graph that shows what wealth levels are in the city.  R$ is the top line, R$$ the middle and very few R$$$ residents here in Wardour!

OK, now let's look at some of the residential areas.  I have to admit, that the Jeronij Street Side Mod has made a big difference and I think that here in Wardour are the best low rise suburbs I've ever created.

24.05  Woodville:

This was the first housing development in Wardour and is made up exclusively of Jen_P's Woodville homes.

24.06  Riverside:

This development still has some Jen_P Woodvilles, but also some MattB Belmont series, plus a few other lots from Gascooker, RP and Haarlemgold (apologies to anyone I've missed).

24.07  East Central:

This development is sandwiched between the Motorway and the Main Boulevard.  Just to the east of the centre and opposite the football stadium.

24.08  South Side:

Another medium density residential zone.  This is on the south side of town, near one of the large high schools.

24.09  Jebel Road:

Jebel Road is north of the motorway and runs from left to right.  It has a collection of medium density residentials, with the low density homes tucked away behind them on side streets.  This little housing development is just what I was trying to create here.  A small oasis of calm just off a busy thoroughfare.

24.10  More South Side:

Another development on the south side.  If you look carefully, you will see that as you drive into the development they are zoned 1x1 ox 1x2 lots but as you drive deeper into the development there are more 2x2 lots for the wealthier sims.  The yellow/creamy coloured house crops up a lot but I think adds something to the development as a whole.  It's a building from haarlemgold.  I really want to find some time to download all of his stuff from the STEX.  I have a lot already, but want the rest :D

24.11  Corrigan North

A similar mix of houses.  Local amenities include Mousie Park, the library and the bingo hall.

24.12  Edge of Town:

Here's a small development on the edge of town.  It's on a bit of a hill and I really enjoyed looking at the different building and seeing how the slope is handled by them differently.  Some are more slope friendly than others, but I still like the overall look.

24.13  Low Rise, Low Density, Low Wealth:

This is a development made up of custom lots I created using RP's 6House Row.  It has a certain 1960's/1970's UK council estate look about it.  I entered this in the picture competition.  It didn't win :(

OK, that gives you an idea of the different residential areas in Wardour.  Just a couple of other things to show you......

24.14  The Jail:

This is where all those bad sims end up!  There have been some pretty gruesome guards versus inmates matches on that pitch!

24.15  Sports Complex and Shopping Mall:

Right on the eastern edge of town is the Wardour Mall and the Zamora Sports Centre.  You can also see there is still some undeveloped zones on this side of town.

Right, let's wrap this up with some final overviews:

24.16  Wardour, Central, West and South:

You can also see a small village was zoned up in the hills - but it has not developed!

24.16  Wardour East, North and The River of Qumma:

Plenty of farming in the valley plus the village of Norvaney.  You can also see the two waste to energy plants that keep the city tidy and produce most of its electricity.

24.17  Region View:

This is not the whole region, but gives you a feel for where Wardour sits.  I think I'll complete Shaftesbury next before deciding on the next quad to attack.  You also need to remember that Great Portland and Regent are "dead" quads that cannot be opened.  Great Portland will definitely need to be redeveloped at some stage.

I hope you've enjoyed Wardour as much as I have.

'til next time.......... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

squidi

very nice city paul!
it seems your bad sims have it very easy  :D
imo there are not enough custom police stations created (or i havnt found them)
the jail looks much better with the surrounding than the default one

Nardo69

Nice update!
I like such details as the embankment at the river and the pedestrian overpass at the highway!

About the picture, well, don't worry. I gave up to understand how a picture gets into the HoF and how not - whenI think it's a special one IMHO I'll give it a try. And as I PM'ed you before, if I vote against a great railway pic your picture IS a good one!  :thumbsup:

A hint: for such large open rural areas I like to plop the Marrast Sheriff'S office - with its extremely large coverage radius it is a econimocally solutions for maps with only so much inhabitants ...  ;)

Take care my friend!

Bernhard 

bat

Great update there! And wonderful work on that city! And like the region (over)view! :thumbsup:

bokrif

Wardour is now looks even more perfect!
This is not a critic, but next time could you show something new? I am not bored, I am just interested in more of your work and variations.

Pat

Paul I loved that jail and also that Sports Complex WOW.... Did you do those yourself? Plan on sharing hint hint lol....  Great UPdates here and wonderful progress.......

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Oh Paul, here's everything I've ever wanted in an update! Overviews, data views (are you awake, Dave!) and loverly photos! :thumbsup:

The Woodville neighborhood looks great, and so do all the rest, but the way you've given each of them a different personality is really impressive. That couldn't have been easy to accomplish! :o

24.11  Corrigan North looks great (OK, I'm partial!), and even though 24.08  South Side doesn't have the type of residential structures I'm used to seeing, I think it's very charming.

I like the way you've designed the jail
- a few shade trees but not too many hiding places. As a reporter I used to visit a correctional facility in Texas occasionally, and your layout is pretty much spot on. The 24.15  Sports Complex and Shopping Mall is well done as well.

Overall, this is one of your best updates -- well planned and beautifully showcased! &apls

Until March 12...
Joan

nedalezz

Your focus on details, especially with the schools and jails, is really incredible. Its the little things that make our cities that much better, and you certainly have an eye for detail. Even though its not complete, the region shot looks great.

tooheys

QuoteOh Paul, here's everything I've ever wanted in an update! Overviews, data views (are you awake, Dave!) and loverly photos!

Look likes somebody has someone wrapped around their little finger  :D

I must agree with Joan though, that is a fine update.  :thumbsup:

I really like the first pic of the residential area. In fact all of your residential areas look great and are nicely varied.

To add to Nardo's suggestion, PEG's MTP set has police, fire, hospital, and school which also fit nicely into rural areas. They are small lots and unobtrusive.

Cheers

Dave

Earth quake

Splendid update. &apls
You really have the sense of detail.
Excellent.

warconstruct

-first of all thank you to have taken time to answer has my question, because me in moment I do not have myself it too much.

For the bond do not be born yourself from refusal, and I think that it will be very useful for me if I count modified one lays has my own way. Then thank you very much  :thumbsup:

- secondly your city is quite simply splendid !
I like much these details like the district of the prison and the sporting district in north .
Your river is very well make !

- thirdly the sights general are superb! especially your countryside which ventilated
and is well separated by the vegetation  . Which gives one made very realistic !  &apls &apls

After having seen your I work had a very particular envi to launch SC4 and of living our passion which is this play .

Impatient to see the continuation !

Paul 
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

paroch

REPLIES:

Squidi/Paul: haha :D, yes the prison does not look too tough does it!  As for custom police stations.... Hmmm, not too many - my favourite is MattB325's Bathurst Police Station: linkie
And the funny thing is - I thought the jail is the default one - it's the only one in my menu!

Nardo/Berhard:  Thanks for the comment, and yes sometimes I concentrate too much on details and leave the "big picture" to chance!  Thanks for the link to Marrast's sherrifs station - have it now. :thumbsup:

Bat:  Hey, glad you like the overview

Bokrif/Krisztian:  Thanks for the comment, and don't worry, I know what you mean.  I was thinking that I need to do something new.  I've not had much SC4 "play-time" this week, so only a small update.  I am really struggling to decide what to do next!

Pat:  hey, thanks.  Well, the jail.... I really thought this was the default jail  ()what(), as it's the only one in my menu - and looking through my plugins I can't see anything obvious!!  The football pitch with changing and small farm field are custom lots.  As for the sports centre.... Here's Deadwoods indoor sports centre  linkie , for the main building. The football pitch with the changing room is the same one as the prison and the running track with the pitch in the middle is also a custom lot.  I'll try and put a pack together and see if I can get it LEX'd!  If you'd like a snaek preview, PM me your email address - with your BLaM experience you'll probably find plenty wrong with them!

Jmouse/Joan:  Hehehe ;D, I take it you like the content of this update then!  As for the different looks..... Woodville took a little bulldozing and ALOT of making historical.  The 6House Row lots are custom lots 5x4, so relatively easy to zone for.  The others just took a little bit of luck and a whole lot of bulldozing!
Thanks for such encouraging comments.  Oh, and by the way, I've taken a leaf from Dustin's book and drawn up some West End stats.  It's official, you are West End's most rugular visitor - this is your 51st visit to West End - I'm sure that is worthy of some kind of award!  I'll have to dream one up %$payas)(.

Nedalezz:  Thanks for those words.  I guess I do enjoy the little details and am slowly doing more of my own custom lots.  And the region still has plenty of room to grow into!

Tooheys/Dave:  Wrapped around a little finger?  Me??  LOL.  Thanks for the comments and the suggestion re PEGs lots.  When I lost my "big 4" cities, one of the variables in what may have caused the problem was the MTP pack, so I've been reluctant to use it again.  Probably irrational, so maybe I'll go and have another go.

Earth quake:  Welcome to West End - good to have you here and thanks for your comments.

Warconstruct/Paul:  Thanks for your support and your comments.  I am happy that seeing West End made you want to play the game.

UPDATE 25:  29th February 2008

As I said above, have not had much SC4 "play-time" this week and also suffered from a bit of a block on what to do next  ()what() %confuso ()what().  I had a medium sized quad called Shaftesbury that needed finishing off, so thought I'd do that.  To be honest, there's nothing particularly special about Shaftesbury, so only a few pics this time.

A small bit of London facts:
My city of Shaftesbury takes its name from Shaftesbury Avenue in London's West End.  Arguably it is the heart of "Theatreland" in London, with many of the top theatres either on the avenue itself or very close by.  Shaftesbury Avenue runs from the busy Piccadilly Circus, through China Town, across Cambridge Circus and then towards Covent Garden.  It has a mix of retail, restaurants, offices and of course theatres.  Soho fire station is situated on Shaftesbury Avenue.  It really is a hive of activity.

And back to West End's Shaftesbury, a town of 21,900 sims......

25.01  Shaftesbury Orientation:

This is where Shaftesbury is located in respect of the West End region.  I'd normally cut out the buttons but thought the population figure may interest.....

25.02  Shaftesbury Overview:

As you can see, the canal is the main feature in Shaftesbury.  The railway runs pretty much parallel to the canal.  You can see the town centre is a bit more built up than another sprawling low rise suburb.  Surrounded by farm land, it's a pleasant place to live.

25.03  Junction:

Another junction that does actually make sense if you look at it carefully.  But I know this would just drive Americans crazy.  I have an American client who has just moved to London and he says that the English love of roundabouts is driving him crazy - apparently it makes it much harder to keep a sense of direction!  My argument is that we grow up with them, so develop fantastic senses of direction!

25.04  The IPON School:

This civic complex next to the canal on the western edge of town has a fire station plus a police station and school that are in identical buildings which has caused some confusion over the years!  The school is called the IPON School and has a speciality on foreign studies as it has a teacher from each country that makes up IPON.  The newly adopted IPON flag flies proudly next to the school.  And thanks to Tooheys for his tennis court lot (I could not get that fence to appear properly!)

25.05  Town Centre:

Yes, that really is the extent of commercial activity in Shaftesbury - it really is a sleepy place!

25.06  A Picture for Bernhard:

With his love of all things train related, I thought Bernhard would like this pic.  Two trains passing on a level crossing.  If you look carefully you'll notice that the trains have the same carriages but different engines, cool eh?  And if you look really carefully you'll see that in West End we drive on the left hand side of the road, but the level crossing barriers and road markings are set up for right hand driving, weird eh?
And this picture was just one of those lucky times when you get multiple trains in shot.  Oh, and more tennis courts from toohey's custom lot collection - thanks Dave.

Well, much like when creating industrial areas we use "filler lots", Shaftesbury is a bit of a "filler quad", so that's it - a short and sweet visit to a small but sweet little town.

Now, what shall I do next??????

'til next time.................. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

sebes

"just a filler quad" ...  I love it!

I am not an American - and have a great sense for directions - but hate roundabouts as well. It seems like they are subsidized or so because almost every crossing with more than 5 cars per minute is changed into a roundabout the last days... it's driving me nuts  ?=mad)=

This city has something very special I noticed: the Northeast corner has a difffernent seasonality than the rest of town.  :P

QuoteAnd if you look really carefully you'll see that in West End we drive on the left hand side of the road, but the level crossing barriers and road markings are set up for right hand driving, weird eh?
See - I am not crazy $%Grinno$% : your cars drive on the wrong side!!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Jmouse

I love Wardour and Cavendish, and Shaftesbury fits nicely between them.

Canals are one of the many elements I've never used simply because they aren't in my visual vocabulary. You've made good use of them, though.

And you're right, that junction in 25.03 makes no sense to me at all! :D You have drivers either exiting a highway or coming off an overpass and immediately encountering a merry-go-round - "...where she stops nobody knows!" As for your client, maybe it would help if you tell him the roundabouts are actually banjos and banjos are fun! ;D If I ever visit the UK, though, I'll be sure to bring enough money for bus or taxi fare.

The civic area looks good
as does the town centre. The dead end in front of the city hall (I think that's what it is?), is a bit troublesome, but once again, it's something I'm not used to seeing.

And 25.06 is awesome - I never could get a single train to show up, much less two! :thumbsup: And those are some nice tennis courts you have there. Did they come with any traffic data?

And it doesn't surprise me that I'm your most talkative visitor and most loyal fan! West End has passed the half-million mark but it's still a great place to hang out!

Until next time...
Joan

bat

Fantastic new pictures and overviews there! Like the junction! :thumbsup:

warconstruct

Still a splendid update, thank you to make us divided your good works  &apls &apls

-It is true that me also I never liked these channels of Peg too much but you have make an excellent use which I like much!

-Your network lorry drivers is well thought with many round not which can reduce the accident  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Finally to finish as usual I am in a hurry to see the next update my friend  ;)

A + Paul
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

Earth quake

It is simply a splendid series of pictures. &apls
The town centre is really made well.
I really do not know what to say about other one.