• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattb325

So beautiful. It surely puts my attempts to play the region to shame. I am amazed at how realistic you've made the changes in levels - water and transport. Excellent job &apls

Sober

Love what you're doing with the slopes, but me? I like my ground not too steep eh?

And that graveyard you've got going there, pretty cool, especially how you just forego using tarmac and switch to a dirt path in the back.

Pat

Ennedi what can i say but Im touched and honoured to be a waterfall  :)  and that waterfall is stunning and wonderful and man im totaly impressed... The farm area is looking real good i have no complaints there at all...
The newest mini update on the winding roads could use a better curve to it but otherwise its looking good...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Berethor

Amazing region that you made , specially I like the lake and the bridges   &apls
looking forward for more!

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ MallowTheCloud ♦ HabLeUrG ♦ moganite ♦ Mr Food11 ♦ jplumbley ♦ Vandy ♦ wouanagaine

meldolion

Wonderful update Ennedi!
I liked especially you solution with the rail loop :)

Danthe

YES, YES, YES, as has said our old Prime Minister sometime :D Now it looks better :thumbsup:

tooheys

My apologies for not dropping by earlier. That is some impressive work Ennedi :thumbsup:

Nothing like a challenging region to develop and you've certainly done a great job so far &apls.
I am truly interested to see how you work with this terrain ( ()what() that reads a bit poxy, what I meant to say was
"I'll be interested to see how you grab this region by the #&*%$ -umm, tender bits - and show it who is boss" ;D .)

Great stuff.

Cheers

Dave

bat

Fantastic new pictures, Ennedi! Belmont is looking wonderful! Also great looking waterfall! Beautiful work! :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Oh, you're doing a fine job of blending civilization into that wilderness landscape! And you've done a good job on your mountain roads :thumbsup: I think your farms look just fine, too. Here in the American Deep South, the farms I'm familiar with are normally square or rectangular. Over time, however, I've read comments which suggest they have more interesting shapes in the European countryside. So I guess either way is acceptable.

Until next time...
Joan

Nisha

Truly breathtaking.  :thumbsup:
You are doing wonders with this terrain.

Ennedi

Welcome in Shosaloza!

Travis: Thank you very much, you will need to become familiar with winding roads and bridges if you want to discover Shosaloza!  :D But don't worry, we will go to lower and more flat area soon

mattb325: Don't say such things! Your Shosaloza was one of my favourites MDs, your story was fantastic and this man on the edge  :thumbsup:

sober: someone have to explore mountains to enable others to stay on flatland  :D Thank you very much!

patfirefightr: Thank you, I'm glad you like your waterfall  :thumbsup: About winding roads, there are some reasons of doing such curves, I will show it in one of the next updates. But of course I will try to improve it  ;)

Berethor: Thank you, here is more  :)

meldolion: Thank you, about rail - I tried, but I'm not such good as Swiss engineers yet  ;D

Danthe: Thanks a lot for nice words and constructive opinion!

tooheys: Thank you very much Dave, very nice to see you here  :thumbsup: I had some trouble with translating your message, but the only thing I'm sure it is nice  :D But the work with the terrain must be interactive, as most other jobs  ;D

bat: Thank you I'm glad you like it!  :thumbsup:

Jmouse: Thank you Joan, I am trying to do something good, but there is still a lot to learn  ;) About farms, you are right - farms in many european countries look different than in USA. One reason is farmers have usually smaller fields here, it also depends on the terrain shape. Farm fields in Poland and other countries in Central Europe are often long and narrow, so the landscape is more diversified ad colourful. You can often see houses grouped together in the centre of the village (or along the transit road), and farm fields are away, on the surrounding hills. In mountain regions it is traditional and wise way of living - it is easier to communicate and help one to another in winter.

Nisha: Thank you very much! Your opinion is very important for me, as I remember you are an artist  ;)

At the beginning some history:

From a very long time Shosaloza was a crossroads of many trade and migration routes. Some time ago one of Belmont's citizens obtained a doctorate writing a thesis in wchich he presented evidence to support the theory that one of branches of the Silk Route led through Shosaloza.

But fortunately there wasn't an intensive colonization of this region at any time. The climate is harsh and it is difficult to live here - to build roads, to farm and to travel through dangerous and snowy mountains.
However, some people settled here. There are many Japanese tracks in Shosaloza. Main castles and some fishing villages on the seashore were built by Japanese immigrants. Also in mountains sometimes you can see an old Japanese house.

A few historians say the first people came to Shosaloza much earlier, about 17 000 years ago. there is a theory they came from Tibet. Not many relics after these people were found yet, but they exist and I will try to present them in future.

After Japanese immigrants many people came to Shosaloza from various continents and settled here. here were mainly people who weren't able to find a good place to live in their own homelands.
Maybe this is a reason that one of the main principles in Shosaloza is tolerance. You can see here both christian churches and buddhist temples.

OK, we go to the present day.
When Shosaloza's promotion in SC4D was started and some people became interested in this beautiful region, Belmont won a competition for a regional tourist centre.
Belmont was a small town till this time. It is difficult to build large hotels quickly, so citizens started to build small pensions, motels an B&Bs.
The city developed very quickly and after some time transit started to be a serious problem. Fortunately there are good roads in Belmont (and also very scenic railroad), but the mayor noticed a lack of drivers, especially for small buses on suburban lines. So he asked for help to everybody:

Unfortunately cats were not such helpful

But negotiations are still carried on  ;)

In the previous update I showed a small side valley with the road to the north. This area is growing too, but it is rather a quiet farming area and not many tourist stay here. However, very important trade route goes through this valley, it is called Wine Route. Why? Very good wine is manufactured in Belmont and exported from here, in the south valley you will see CSX Winery - la Montagne and many vineyards.

But today we will visit the south valley. It is called Whistler Valley. Whistlers are very nice animals, people in Zermatt (Switzerland) built a monument for them:

Whistler Valley - a view to the South:

The main road goes through the valley to the mountain village Silvretta. There is the highest peak in Shosaloza there - Mount Robson. Silvretta is very small, but famous because of it's tourist attractions (a surprise in near future!  ;D)

Whistler Valley - two views to the North:

This is a suburban area for richer citizens, but there are also some farms and pastures in it:

This picture was made in August

And this one was made in January

As you see, the best grass for cows in Belmont we have in winter  :D
(seriously, the terrain texture changes during the year. It looks very interesting, but it is very difficult to use these textures intentionally).

An Aristocrat Inn

Asahikaga School - an oldest but most exclusive school in the city. Here you can learn a tea - making ceremony.

The Zen garden with a small buddhist temple

The Old Coach House - the horse - riding centre in Belmont, they also give here very good food, an excellent wine and very special kind of tea

An old Kung - Fu master lives here

The Greenhouse

CSX Winery - la Montagne

The mini Banana Plantation (export to the Monkey Island, a special kind of the Alpine bananas  :D) - look at the right bottom corner

...And some random farming shots

No technical comments today, next update soon (maybe tomorrow  ;)), we will go closer to the centre
And here is a teaser

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

Ennedi so much to say and how to say it is but a wow this was a great massive update and i really loved it and i cant wait to see your next update - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Berethor

What a lovely town,  the landscape is so picturesque
Great work   &apls

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ MallowTheCloud ♦ HabLeUrG ♦ moganite ♦ Mr Food11 ♦ jplumbley ♦ Vandy ♦ wouanagaine

thundercrack83

Stunning work, my friend! Simply stunning! You are definitely doing an excellent job making Shosaloza your own!

Jmouse

Ennedi, you are hereby dubbed the master of huge updates!  :thumbsup: The photos are superb, and you are creating a place I'd like to visit. Got any cabins in the woods for rent?

Until next time...
Joan

bat

Fantastic pictures of that beautiful looking city! Great work! :thumbsup:

Danthe

You are true artist &apls Farms looks fantastic, village too. Everything fantastic compose with surroundings.
One question: where find a timber fences? :)

Ennedi

Hello my friends, an update is ready!  ()stsfd()

patfirefghtr: Thank you Pat, as you see I tried to make the next update quickly  ;)

Berethor: Thank you, the great part of this effect is fantastic terrain mod

thundercrack83: Thank you very much, your comment is very good motivation for me (but I don't know if I deserved it ;D)

Jmouse: Thank you Joan, of course there are some nice places for rent here, wait a while please and I wll prepare a large offer  :D

bat: Thank you very much for aupportive comment! :thumbsup:

Danthe: Thank you very much, you do an excellent job too :thumbsup: I will send links for timber fences tomorrow

A short story at the beginning:
When the population reached 500 citizens I receive a message with proposition to build a Mayor's House. I haven't any custom Mayor's houses in my present plugins folder. So I looked around and I found that Maxis Mayor's House doesn't match anything except the cemetery.  :D, so i put it here

Later I come to a conclusion that it was very good to have silent neighbors, especially for hard working Mayor. I found all this situation funny and didn't think about it yet.
But some time later I looked again at the PEG's Memorial Park Entrance. And...
Look at this funeral building, and then again at the Mayor's House

This is the same building
Now I know everything about this surprising harmony  :D

OK, let's go to Belmont, it still grows
Some general views

The new hotel at the railway station

...And the first car dealer in Belmont: Hyundai
(It's a time to invest in the development, not to drive Ferrari - not yet :D)

Hotels and restaurants at the lakeside are ready to entertain tourists

The downtown grows quickly, but it is still under construction

The city looks a bit strange now - modern hotels, shops and office buildings contrast with small houses in the main residential area. Of course it will change in the near future. Many citizens living near the new downtown sell their lots (prices are very good now) and move to modern appartments:

This area is very poular - it is located in the quiet place and in the same time it is near one of the most attractive places in Belmont - The Spindrift Quays (thank you Colyn!  :thumbsup:)

There are some great places for a night party at the lakeside: the Underworld Dance Department and a small but very popular nightclub called "Amnesia" (this is a real name of the nightclub on Ibiza, of course it looks completely different, but I like this name - it is very good for such place  :D)

The city needs new residential areas. After long discussions the mayor decided that the only place for the new development is here

In the next update I will show this area under construction (it will be a real challenge, the terrain is very difficult - buildings on slopes needed  :D) and it will be our last visit in Belmont.
Of course we will return here when the city will reach next stages of the development, but I want to show you some new places  :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

TheTeaCat

Oh my word  &apls &apls

This is magnificent work you are showing us Adam,

Goodness only knows what you will do when the "of Special interest Award" comes to you.
I missed an update due to RL but then had 2.
My goodness your talent is evident in the details and how well you capture them &apls &apls

You have captured that rural fell very well indeed. The houses clustered together with the
farming spread around is much more what I'm used to, and you have excelled here considering
the limitations of the terrain.
Bravo &apls

I'm sorry  $%Grinno$% You asked a cat to Work?   :shocked2: Whatever for?
Are you surprised at the reaction you got?  :D :D :D :D

I love all the personal references and touches its makes it so appealing
especially when you come across them :thumbsup:

Eagerly awaiting the next update you do
until then my friend

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

thundercrack83

Welcome to the Ones to Watch category, Ennedi! Congratulations!