• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM or SPAM

Started by huzman, January 02, 2018, 09:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huzman

While trying to rebuild my Plugins Folder I came to contradicting opinions about CAM and SPAM. I know that is one or the other. But which one? I think that IRM is against one or the other (again). And I would like to keep the IRM one as it fits my needs better.

Should we make a poll of this?
« Essayez d'apprendre quelque chose sur tout et tout sur quelque chose. »
             « Try to learn something about everything and everything about something »
                          « Trata de aprender algo sobre todo y todo sobre algo »
                                                                                                    — Thomas Henry Huxley

twalsh102

I'm not really sure this would make sense as a poll-able question as this isn't even an apples and oranges comparison, but rather an apples, bananas, and passion fruit comparison.

CAM is not compatible with either IRM or SPAM, primarily because IRM and SPAM modify many of the same lots as CAM (although there are also some technical reasons as well).

Which one(s) to use really comes down to one's goals.  To make one's decision, one really needs to understand what each of these products do.

CAM expands the number of growth stages for ALL development, and makes some other modifications that affect development and demand.  It provides some fixes for the default Maxis I-R system to make it available later than Stage 3, and also making more Sims willing to take farming jobs.  Almost every existing Maxis or custom lot will work with CAM.  Many Maxis lots have been modified to work with the increased number of growth stages.

SPAM affects primarily the I-R system and expands it to 5 growth stages, while CAM expands it to 10.  SPAM also affects demand by allowing demand for all other Industrial developer types to be met by I-R jobs, thus supposedly providing unlimited I-R job availability.  Custom farm lots were created specifically for SPAM.  Some Maxis lots were modified to work with SPAM

IRM affects only non I-R industrial growth.  It does not affect the number of available growth stages, but does modify how industrial zoning is handled by changing what types of development occurs in each zone density.  Maxis industrial lots were specifically modified to work with IRM.  Additional custom content has been developed to work specifically with IRM.

ChiefZDN

Quote from: twalsh102 on January 02, 2018, 02:24:40 PM
I'm not really sure this would make sense as a poll-able question as this isn't even an apples and oranges comparison, but rather an apples, bananas, and passion fruit comparison.

CAM is not compatible with either IRM or SPAM, primarily because IRM and SPAM modify many of the same lots as CAM (although there are also some technical reasons as well).

Which one(s) to use really comes down to one's goals.  To make one's decision, one really needs to understand what each of these products do.

CAM expands the number of growth stages for ALL development, and makes some other modifications that affect development and demand.  It provides some fixes for the default Maxis I-R system to make it available later than Stage 3, and also making more Sims willing to take farming jobs.  Almost every existing Maxis or custom lot will work with CAM.  Many Maxis lots have been modified to work with the increased number of growth stages.

SPAM affects primarily the I-R system and expands it to 5 growth stages, while CAM expands it to 10.  SPAM also affects demand by allowing demand for all other Industrial developer types to be met by I-R jobs, thus supposedly providing unlimited I-R job availability.  Custom farm lots were created specifically for SPAM.  Some Maxis lots were modified to work with SPAM

IRM affects only non I-R industrial growth.  It does not affect the number of available growth stages, but does modify how industrial zoning is handled by changing what types of development occurs in each zone density.  Maxis industrial lots were specifically modified to work with IRM.  Additional custom content has been developed to work specifically with IRM.

No, there's the CAM version of the IRM. You can find it on STEX. But, I don't know about the compatibility.

Thanks.

Tarkus

To follow on what ChiefZDN said, here is the CAM version of the IRM, which was done by Shadowstrike.  It needs to load after the CAM, since it overrides the re-modded Maxis Industrial lots already included in the CAM.

-Alex

twalsh102

Yes, there is a CAM version of the IRM.  But what you get are modified versions of the same Maxis lots, originally modified/relotted by T Wrecks, so that they also work with CAM.  None of the 70+ I-HT and W2W IRM relots subsequently created by T Wrecks have CAM versions.  All of the IRM Add-On and Filler sets should work with either version of IRM.

It should go without saying that because the CAM version of IRM requires CAM to work properly, and because CAM isn't compatible with SPAM, neither is the CAM version of IRM.

huzman

Thanks to you all!
I'm getting a better idea about which to choose and I intend to try both.
Hope this thread keeps going on...

Best wishes to every one!
« Essayez d'apprendre quelque chose sur tout et tout sur quelque chose. »
             « Try to learn something about everything and everything about something »
                          « Trata de aprender algo sobre todo y todo sobre algo »
                                                                                                    — Thomas Henry Huxley