• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Krasner BAT thread

Started by Krasner, September 08, 2016, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krasner

MY RELEASES' REPERTORY
All my releases can be found following the links bellow. All of them have a read-me in both French and English, which list all the dependencies giving links to them

- Two STR stations : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3298

- A working-class pub : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3301

- Four low-wealth 1X2 growable buildings : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3303

- A small 1X2 mattress factory : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3305

- A prop-pack gathering 83 various objects, but it is more focused on cemetery elements : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3311

- Three low-wealth angles, provided both in C$ and R$ : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3312

- Two low-wealth, early 20th century suburban houses : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3313

:satisfied:  :popcorn:

Hello everyone,

Here I will show you some of my personnal creations on the Building Architect Tool. I'm currently using Gmax, and as I'm quite a begginner at this kind of custom creation, the idea of this thread is to get some advice from the community, eventually ideas to increase the quality of my work. Say everything you'd like to say about what you will see here !

I started two quite big projects actually : a pack of small mid-19th century, low-wealth, french buildings on one hand, and an old modular factory on the over hand.

Here are the low-wealth buildings :

I actually planned to create six of them, maybe more. The four I show here are finished or almost finished. Depends of what you think of it.

THEN, here is one of the base pieces of my modular factory. I planned to create also some pieces with smoketacks, some pieces with large doors and platforms for trucks, an office for the foreman and the tiny house of the boss. Everytning to recreate an old-fashioned, 19th century european factory of variable size.

I tried to export my work for the very first time just tonight, and I'm still a beginner with the PIM. Here is the result in-game. The lot is, of course, just an ugly try.

The problem is that this export apparently failed, because at the closest zooms my BAT is replaced by a weird grey-blue "hole"  :o I certainly made a mistake.

I also have some other, smaller projects (houses and small train stations), which are in good way to realize.
ANARCHIST !!

mgb204

Always good to know someone new is making BATs. Even if you are just starting out, it's clear you must have some talent for this.  Building 3 particularly excites me, I can think of many uses for such a corner building myself.

The roof on Model 2 looks too bright to me, perhaps the Saturation should be reduced on the Red part also.

As for the problem with the industrial model, in the first instance check your LODs in SC4BAT. They may simply need re-making, if that doesn't work, let us know.

Simmer2

Good start! Nice textures too.

I agree with mgb204 regarding the LODs. Try it and see.

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

FrankU

Welcome maharadjahdesaboum,

These are really nice buildings for a beginner!  &apls
You are not really a beginner. Maybe with SC4, but not with Gmax I think... am I right?

The roofs of model 1 (rear building) and 2 are a bit too bright: like the sun is shining on brand new glazed tiles. The dirt on the roof shows the tiles aren't new, so the shininess should be way less. Otherwise I think the textures are really great. Good work.

Frank

Krasner

Thanks to mgb204, Schriefer, Simmer2 and FrankU for advice and compliments  ::)

Considering that I made a few modifications on  1. and 2.

And here's what I finished last week : a orthogonal/diagonal angle.

The idea came from this marvelous house by Manchou (https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/1774) which is quite difficult to use in the game because it's almost a stand-alone in its size and style. That could be the beginning of an entire pack of diagonal buildings of this size, it would depend of my motivation for that.

An by the way :

Quote from: mgb204 on September 08, 2016, 03:05:06 PM
As for the problem with the industrial model, in the first instance check your LODs in SC4BAT. They may simply need re-making, if that doesn't work, let us know.

Quote from: Simmer2 on September 08, 2016, 09:39:55 PMI agree with mgb204 regarding the LODs. Try it and see.

You both were right, it was about the LODs. I just forgot to edit it when I did the lot  :-[

Also :

Quote from: FrankU on September 09, 2016, 12:32:49 AMYou are not really a beginner. Maybe with SC4, but not with Gmax I think... am I right?

I started to play on this game years ago, I can't even remember when  ;D I started BATting seriously like 4 months ago and I still consider myself as a beginner because creating big models still creeps me out. I tried to make a huge sanatorium at first. I hadn't really abandonned the project but it's SO MUCH WORK  :'(

ANARCHIST !!

korver

Very nice work so far! The ortho/diag looks very useful, and I like the idea of a diagonal building pack :thumbsup:

vortext

Excellent work so far!  &apls

And I second the idea of a diagonal building pack, perhaps with even some far angles thrown in as well?!

At any rate, looking really good!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

gn_leugim

really nice work there! I like it a lot! keep it up, and I'll try to help whenever I can :)

QuoteI'm currently using Gmax

also, keep it so, we need more gmax users :D

bombardiere

Very good work.  :thumbsup: These kind of small to medium size filler buildings are always useful, even if one does not play strickly french style city. :) Thank you.

I like grunge texture effect you have made.

Diagonals would be useful. And FAR too. There are not that many wall-to-wall FAR buidings. However are you planning to match Manchou's model sizes? I think that Manchou's models are tad too big and this is why I don't use those in my cities.

Themistokles

Well, I don't know the first thing about batting, but in this case that's enough to say that this excellent. &apls

Keep it up!
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

FrankU

Those are real beauties and perfect for European mid size towns.  &apls

Krasner

Quote from: korver on September 21, 2016, 02:02:19 AM
Very nice work so far! The ortho/diag looks very useful, and I like the idea of a diagonal building pack :thumbsup:

Thank you korver ! I must admit that this diag pack is still quite a vague project now. A complete creation usually deserves more than an entire week with my regular dedication to it (I mean, it deserves 3 or 4 evenings from 7pm or 8pm to midnight. I guess I'm quite slow :bomb:). So I don't know how many of them I will make and when it will come out.

Quote from: vortext on September 21, 2016, 02:57:30 AM
Excellent work so far!  &apls

And I second the idea of a diagonal building pack, perhaps with even some far angles thrown in as well?!

At any rate, looking really good!  :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot vortext  ;D Some far buildings could be an idea, and it's true there're lacking to the game. I had a few ideas, so maybe later  ::)

Quote from: gn_leugim on September 21, 2016, 03:00:17 AM
really nice work there! I like it a lot! keep it up, and I'll try to help whenever I can :)

QuoteI'm currently using Gmax

also, keep it so, we need more gmax users :D

Thank you gn_leugim ! Ok I'll keep working with gmax  :D By the way your "High-fall apartments" are some of the best euro public housing towers I know, I love it  ;D

Quote from: bombardiere on September 21, 2016, 05:36:34 AM
Very good work.  :thumbsup: These kind of small to medium size filler buildings are always useful, even if one does not play strickly french style city. :) Thank you.

I like grunge texture effect you have made.

Diagonals would be useful. And FAR too. There are not that many wall-to-wall FAR buidings. However are you planning to match Manchou's model sizes? I think that Manchou's models are tad too big and this is why I don't use those in my cities.

Thank you for commenting bombardiere ! I don't exactly plan to match Manchou's scale, which is sometimes a little bit too big in my opinion. I BATed so far with the intention to be near the scale of Vnaoned's, Motokloss's, Ferox's and RaV's BATs. Maybe mine are too big for your taste  &mmm Anyway you may notice that many XIXth century french buildings have large windows and high floors compared to buildings of nowadays. A regular floor was commonly 3.5 meters high, because having a big amount of air inside was said to be more hygienic. Here are a few illustrations :
https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.7491861,4.8772003,3a,75y,29.81h,113.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sL1pQr17CSdT6BjCUzylqTA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.7483714,4.8830721,3a,75y,333.85h,95.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6v8InKG4v5ywAiebXq8HwQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.7560655,4.8671507,3a,75y,100.53h,108.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdtrYi-EmroGpIpte7Ik7YA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Quote from: Themistokles on September 21, 2016, 11:55:00 AM
Well, I don't know the first thing about batting, but in this case that's enough to say that this excellent. &apls

Keep it up!

Thank you so much  ;D

Quote from: FrankU on September 22, 2016, 12:48:39 AM
Those are real beauties and perfect for European mid size towns.  &apls

Thank you again FrankU !

So, today I finally finished the second angle of my residential set : a grocery store combined with a small chinese takeway, both inspired by what I see daily in my district.

I plan to make two other 1X1 similar buildings to finish with this pack before I start nightligts, lotting and modding.
ANARCHIST !!

mgb204

These are really excellent work, with the added (unintentional?) bonus that they should fit reasonably well in any European environment. As such, I'd be happy to take as many of this type of building as I can get.

I know I might be jumping the gun a little, but I think these would be best modded as CS buildings, since that's one area that's seriously lacking in content. Although it couldn't hurt to have some as Res also.

Keep up the great work  :thumbsup:

gn_leugim

QuoteThank you gn_leugim ! Ok I'll keep working with gmax  :D By the way your "High-fall apartments" are some of the best euro public housing towers I know, I love it  ;D

Oh, thank you :)

What can I say, this building is awesome! the detail is phenomenal, and as said I guess you can fit it in any euro city! love it! :)

reddonquixote

Wow, what a cute little set of buildings!  :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work. I especially like the rooftops, they have a really nice detailing and textures.

I might suggest to watch the green railings though, they seem a tad too bright like they have been freshly painted to stand out, doesn't seem in keeping with low wealth?

I look forward to seeing these progress. Thanks for sharing  ;D
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

noahclem

Just discovered this lovely little thread--great work  &apls  I love Manchou's work as well and could really use more of these type of buildings  :thumbsup:

belfastsocrates

These are looking excellent! Lovely work
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

_Michael

Flicked through all creations here, and they look fantastic! Really could, as MGB said, fit into any european environment.

Krasner

@mgb204
Oh thanks a lot  $%Grinno$% I agree with you for the lack of CS w2w buildings of this size, so I will mod that (and the other angle model) both as RS and CS

@gn_leugim
Thanks again !

@reddonquixote
Thanks a lot  ;D About the railings, I guess you're quite right but in my town this type of low-wealth buildings have sometimes small amounts of fresh paint here and there. So, on both the models using this texture, I modified the railings to make it look like half-repainted, with a green part and a grey rusty part. A quite common situation I know about that can stand for months or even years when you have a hassle-free owner  %wrd

@noahclem
Thank you  ;D

belfastsocrates
Thank you too  ()stsfd()

michael95l
And thank you too  ::) To answer you, gn_leugim and mgb204, that "fit in any-euro environment effect" wasn't intentional at all, but it's good news I guess. It' not so true in my opinion but if you think so, well ok  ;D

I'm back here just to announce that I posted my first release on toutsimcities.com tonight. Two different STR stations, in full-HD , that slept too much time in my gmax-folder. Both with gloomy nightlights, for Maxis-night only. I made the read-me both in French and English  :) It is my very first upload so if you find anything that isn't right, tell me here and I will update it.

Available here : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3298

Also, I just realized that I missed to show here the progression of my modular factory project. I changed the textures, and created an office part. Not finished yet but maybe this month.

ANARCHIST !!