• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Returning to SC4 after many years and need some help

Started by ddhm, December 07, 2015, 04:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddhm

Howdy again guys,
Didja miss me? Hahaha. I've been away for a long time but I've really missed SC4. It's allowed the MOST creativity of the entire franchise. From what I can gather, it's a bit different these days if I want to get maximum use of my machine. There was a topic about playing SC4 in 2012 but there is little to be seen there. I could sure use any suggestions that someone might offer.

To be honest, when I played before my game worked... mostly. I used Nam and Cam and quite a few downloaded things but I'm sure that I had things in bad load orders and such. I can vaguely remember making custom maps but I'm sure that's all well documented elsewhere. I bet my plug ins folder was a train wreck is what I'm driving at I guess.

Now, I'm not terribly concerned with load times (I think) and wold prefer to keep the game off my SSD (which only my OS is on).

One question I have is:
What do I have to do to get everything to run nicely as far as processors go? Does it even apply to me?

System specs:
Core i7-4770 @ 3.4
64 bit OS
GTX 660
OS on SSD
Internal HD for files

Something tells me "yes, it does".

I will be downloading the game from Amazon (paid for it, just haven't gotten it yet), so not playing from CD this time...YAY!

Secondly, can someone suggest a "Loader" type thing (if one exists... seems like I saw one before but was afraid of it)? Something that might help with any mods loading would be SWEEEEEET!

Lastly, what do I not at all know?

Thanks in advance,
   Dan

mgb204

SC4 isn't a performance hog, the only problems you will run into are down to the exponential increase in calculations needed as your cities get larger and more detailed. Your specs are quite similar to mine, the game runs very well for me, at least until I fill a tile with HD trees :).

If you are starting out from scratch then those things you should do include:

- Installing the NAM, latest version 33.
- Installing the I-HT fix. Note there are other "Maxis Fixes" about, but the I-HT one is the real game-breaker, a search on google or the STEX should help you there.
- Add switches to the command line of your game to reduce CTD's when using a multi-core processor. To do this, open the SC4 shortcut properties and add the switch to the end of the target line:
                   -intro:off -CPUCount:1 -f -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32
   The above is what I use. That turns off the intro, sets the game to use only 1 core, fullscreen mode, custom 1080p resolution. Bear in mind you may need to alter some of this for your setup.

There is no quick-way to install custom content. It requires a certain amount of dedication to download, install and manage a decent plugins suite.

ddhm

Heya mgb,
Thanks for having a read and for your advice. I'll certainly heed it. Whoda thunked that running on only 1 cpu would be the thing?
NAM, absolutely! Is Real Highway Mod a suite for Nam still or part of it? I've always wanted canals too. Hmmm...
I'll look into the I-HT thing. I don't recall ever having it before but that means much of nothing :)
I'll certainly get back into custom content, and knowing that I have to do it myself, I'll actually do it this time :)
CAM will probably be next. Man, I LOVED that mod:)

Really, what I want to do is make Memphis, Tn I think. Perhaps Neo Memphis even :)
Thanks again,
   Dan

Tarkus

Pretty much all of the NAM plugins that were previously separate downloads, including the RHW, have been merged into the NAM itself, a move that happened almost three years ago.  The bridges have been added as well, and there's also stations included for GLR and the like now.  The only thing that hasn't really been merged in is the Diagonal Bridge Enabler, because of it requires using water-removing temporary files.

-Alex

ddhm

Ps. I don't seem to be able to find that I-HT fix? you wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

@ Alex:
Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to delve into those menus :) Man, this is gonna be awesome!

Andreas

I think mgb204 meant the "Industry Quadrupler". I suppose you'll find it under that name at the STEX.
Andreas

mrbisonm

Quote from: ddhm on December 08, 2015, 04:38:16 PM
Ps. I don't seem to be able to find that I-HT fix? you wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

@ Alex:
Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to delve into those menus :) Man, this is gonna be awesome!

If you can't find one of those important mods, look here: (keep the link)
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1925.0<
The Industry Quadrupler is the 10th mention downward. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

mlylem

Quote from: ddhm on December 08, 2015, 04:38:16 PM

@ Alex:

You can find the I-HT fix over at http://community.simtropolis.com. But they are down for maintenance right now.

mgb204

I don't know if I could recommend the Industry Quadrupler, in any case to clarify I really do mean the I-HT fix. It's the most stupid unfixed bug ever, but without the fix I-HT will never employ R$$$ sims. This can cause a mass of unemployment or other problems with your R$$$ population and demands later on in-game.

There are some other fixes, most are on ST which is down right now, but the I-HT one is unique because you must edit the SC DATs in order for the fix to work.

Other broken parts of Maxis content include:

- Grand Rail Station will not unlock properly.
- Opera House gets too easily oversubscribed in larger cities, reducing your sims education level as a result.
- Private Schools simply don't have enough capacity, giving the same problem as above.
- Crime simply never goes away, even with a mass of police stations.
- Spaceport doesn't actually provide any benefits whatsoever.

Each of these has been addressed, and likely more besides, but if you don't use these Maxis items, you may not need to worry about it. They can all be fixed later if need be too, but I-HT is one of those things everybody should patch up-front IMO.

twalsh102

Unfortunately, if you try and search for "I-HT fix" on the STEX, you will draw a blank.  What you need to look for is "IH missing $$$ jobs fix (update!) 1.11" by HeinBloed4711, and last updated 3 Nov 09.

As MGB204 suggests, this Mod is different from almost all other Mods, in that you can't just unzip it and put it in your Plugins folder, and have it work correctly.  You have to actually incorporate it into the Simcity_1.dat file.  There is an excellent tutorial put together by Cogeo and posted in the Simtropolis forums here:  http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/48632-tutorial-applying-the-i-ht-bug-fix-correctly/

The most important step is to backup the original Simcity_1.dat file, someplace outside of your Plugins folder.  Otherwise, if something goes wrong during the process of applying the patch, you could be left with a game that is unplayable, unless you do a reinstall.

If you follow Cogeo's instructions precisely, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck, and welcome back.

ddhm

You guys have been most helpful :) Thank each of you for taking to time to look over and respond.

@Twalsh
Thanks for clarifying that for me and for the link as well. I'll be adding that fix to my game shortly. Thanks also for the idea of the backup.

@MGB and Mrbisonm
Yup, looks like the quadrupler is out because if CAM. It also looks like it's not the right thing for me. IHT fix it is. Thanks to both of you for the help. That inCAMpatable mods link will be invaluable!

@mlylem
Thankee muchly :)

@ Andreas
It looks like because of CAM, I'll not be able to use that one. Thanks all the same :)

It looks like I might actually have time to get everything installed shortly. I've been DL'ing things here and there in preparation. I want to keep a list of everything I install this time I think. Boy, I'm really chomping at the bit now.

I also think a mayor's journal is in order this time. I have to get my overall game plan together first. Thankee all again and I'll keep you posted :)

Be good,
   Dan
Ps. anymore input is ALWAYS appreciated.