• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to build a curved road/network

Started by wouanagaine, November 06, 2006, 12:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wouanagaine

This tutorial shows you a step by step tutorial on how I made those curved roads you can spot in the regional view of the header.

I think it's quite an efficient method. I was inspired by the Curved highway Tutorial by Thalassicus, but unfortunately the move to ST5.0 removed the pics. But for summary, you place signs where you want the highway to pass through and refine the process and then build the highway between signs. For further explanations you can search the forums for "curved highway."

What this tutorial shows is a way to have a visual clue for the layout of the road (or any other network) so that you can plan where it will go.

First step is to set the "crime" view on

I apologize for the French on the picture.

Now open you police menu

And place one of your police building on the land.

By placing different buildings, you'll see each one has a different radius for the curves.

Place the buildings so that some of the lines touch each other.

Choose wisely and you'll be able to draw a good looking network.

Now you can start building your network, making it follow along where the line goes.

Ok, now your network is complete.

Time to destroy the police buildings and see the result

Looks correct at level 2 zoom

Looks correct in the traffic view.

And from the regional view (my personal favourite)

It's looking good

You can of course use this technique with any building that has a 'radius lines,' and it works with any network.

I hope you have appreciated this quick "how-to". I'm sure that you'll find plenty of use for this.

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Alfred.Jones

Thanks for sharing you fantastic tutorials Wouanagaine :thumbsup:

Thats an awesome idea and will look awesome when developed around like in the top title picture

Sim City 4 Devotion

NikNik

C'est extraordinaire Wouanagaine!

It's good to see you also here on SC4D

Nik-Nik

TheTeaCat

I used to try to do it by eye zooming in and out all the time and here you go and give us such a simple way to do it. (Smacks head for not thinking of this myself.)  Another handy tip from a master himself.  &dance
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

wouanagaine

thx

There is another tutorial for making nice non griddy network layout.
  I can't remember where I saw it, and from who it is. Thought it was at ST in the omnibus but I can't find it, maybe in someone CJ.

I won't post pics but basically you take a mayor mod plop tree that cost 0$ and you draw your layout  by planting the trees like drawing with a pen
after you finished you take the road/network tool and you follow what you have drawn
very usefull, very fast, cost 0, and look awesome

I'll post the link to the tuto when I'll find it again

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jacqulina

wouanagaine

I found the tutorial I talk about :

here it is

very good I use it everyday

New Horizons Productions

Alfred.Jones

I had a look at that tutorial. Thanks for the link Wouanagaine :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

bat

Great tutorial and also a thank you for the link!

TheTeaCat

Great tutorial and a thank you for the link from me also!

Edit: a little housing project built using you technique thanks dude!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

Alek King of SC4

wanted to let u know i love this tutorial and use it all the time thanks

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions

bat

TheTeaCat

tkirch

This was a great tutorial and have to show you what I have done with this technique:

Yellow=roads, black=Rail, grenn is Pegs Ponds, Streams

This second picture shows my RHW.  The RHW does not show on a transportation map but you can see it as it runs up the middle.  It is the gray on there.

TheTeaCat

Nice work tkirch :thumbsup:

Nice to see some more pics on here.

:satisfied:

bat

Alfred.Jones

That looks very good Tkirch! Very curvy roads ;) It makes it looks much more interesting :thumbsup:

500th Post :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions

bat

Congrats on your 500th post! Alfred.Jones  &apls &apls &apls :thumbsup: