• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Port St Claire (#36)

Started by Swordmaster, October 07, 2012, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Hope you get a great Christmas all the same.

Swordmaster

P O R T    S T    C L A I R E
O S I T M   1 2 / 1 2

You folks rock. I'm feeling quite a lot better due in no small part to all of your wishes. I've passed them along to my mom, and you have her thanks and greetings.

But as they say on Broadway, the show must go on. Plus, I thought I'd give you all something more cheerful to go into the holidays, and what's more cheerful than a summer scene?

This area is roughly a mile directly east of Barton. It's known among the locals as Maddox' Pond, but that's not an official name.

I was first taking snapshots, then realized the only way to fully appreciate it was with a large overview. You can decide for yourself which size to view. The largest is the original, at zoom 5.

Replies

Quote from: MTT9I'm sorry for your loss Willy. Wish i had anything good to reconfort you, it's always hard when you loose someone you care about...

At least the pic is great :) Merry christmas to you and your family.
Thank you, Matt. Reading your comment is quite comforting, actually.

Quote from: jmyers2043That is a nice Christmas card. Thank you. Please know that I am sorry for your loss   - Jim
Thank you, Jim.

Quote from: dedgrenBeautiful.  Absolutely beautiful.

I'm so sorry about your grandmother, Willy.

David
Thank you, David. And welcome to PSC. It's heart-warming to see you take out the time to comment here and while at it award a k-point for the railroad textures. To get your blessing on that means a lot.

Quote from: KergelenNice picture and Merry Christmas.

I'm sorry about your grandmother. I also loss unexpectedly my grandmother one and half month ago (the last of all of my grandparents), and know the feeling of not believing it until after some days.
Thanks for sharing your story; my condolences as well to you. I can't even believe my grandfather died and that's seven years ago.

Quote from: sunv123We're all so sorry for the death of your grandmother, it is always so hard when your loved ones die. Like haljackey said in my signature, even when it's dark, light will come if you continue.

Thank you for the Christmas card, it's always wonderful to get one from my favorite MD. Thanks PSC. I'm glad that you're still continuing. Like i said, PSC is one of my favorite.
Thank you. Of course we're continuing.

Quote from: noahclemBeautiful Christmas card Willy  :o

My deepest condolences for your loss  &mmm
Thank you, Noah.

Quote from: vortextLovely picture Willy!  &apls

Did you create a snowy terrain texture or is it all post-production, so to speak. Or both? Either way, it looks great.  :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, my condoleances to you and your family.
Thank you. It's the antarctic terrain mod at work, with some snow added to the roof of that shed in the GIMP.

Quote from: mattb325I'm very sorry to read of your loss of your grandmother, and my sincere condolences to you and your family.

The images you have shown are really beautiful and what you've been working on recently is fantastic, a huge U-turn from your older work  ;).
Thank you, Matt. Great to hear you like what you see here.

Quote from: metarvoI'm sorry you lost your grandmother, Willy.  :(  If you need to take time off, don't feel bad about doing so.

Thank you for the Christmas card.  SC4 has helped me get my snow fix this year since I don't really get to see any.
Thank you. Actually, spending time here is a lot better than sitting in a corner with my arms crossed.

And we haven't had any real snow either :(

Quote from: benedictSorry to hear about your grandmother.

This week your MD stayed on top of BTT, making it the Christmas number one - nice work.
Thank you, Ben. I'm surprised, again.

Quote from: JmouseHeartfelt condolences, Willy. You must have many pleasant memories of the times you spent with your grandmother, of the wonderful things she taught you and the love she shared with you. I hope you will be able to find solace in celebrating her life.
Thank you, Joan. You're quite right. She and her husband made sure I had a wonderful childhood notwithstanding circumstances. There's a lot to reminisce about.

Quote from: SerkannerMy condolences for your loss Willy. Take good care of yourself.
Thank you, Erik. My best care is taken right here!

Quote from: batThat's a wonderful christmas card. :thumbsup:

And I'm sorry about your grandmother.
Thank you, bat.

Quote from: vesterSorry to hear about your grandmother.

Hope you get a great Christmas all the same.
Thank you, Arne. And welcome to PSC, too. You surely made a calculated entrance here with post #200!

Now I'm more comfortable going into Christmas. Back later.

Cheers
Willy

MTT9

Love this rural scenes Willy. How did you get those little ponds? The way they mix with the grass surroundings is just fantastic!
You can call me Matt

sunv123

Looks like a little resort. How much is each night? I might be able to get a deal at the airstrip. ;) (you should really make one.)

Have a merry Christmas, Willy!

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

noahclem

Beautiful picture  &apls &apls  The big version was very much worth it! I'm really liking the way the terrain mod looks and all the rural details are perfect  :thumbsup:

Jmouse

It's always a treat to visit Port St Claire and see your amazing rural scenes. There is so much going on in this one. First of all, I like the way you've done the fields – they are large enough to convince me that this is really a farming neighborhood, not a tiny 6x6 "garden." The houses are well placed, too, very much like they could be in RL. The ponds in the woods add a nice touch, and I love the covered wagon.

Overall, an excellent update, Willy...
-Joan

threestooges

Willy, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. The memories will remain though, so in a sense, she will always be with you.

Wonderful little Christmas card. I like the snow effect. It's a Charlie Brown Christmas tree type of card: beautiful in its simplicity and from the heart.

This update/mosaic is stunning. My compliments on the pond. Would I be correct that the pond is game water? If so, very nice job on masking the edges. Is that the terrain mod, or did all the MMP flora cover up any beach that showed up? I also like the little marsh at the top left of the image. The heron standing there would have been completely missed in just the overview. Nice touch.
-Matt

Kergelen

I'm impressed with the pond. Transition from the forest to the water is amazing.
I love the detailing MMP, the use of chrisadams flowers and the green grass and nenufars inside the water. &apls

Links to SC4 websites

bat

That's a beautiful shot there!!! Fantastic work on this farm.
Looking forward to more... ;)

dedgren

Fantastic work on Maddox Pond- extremely natural viewscape.  I am worried a bit, though, that the farmers working the land in the pond's watershed might be overdoing the fertilizer- the greenish color of the water might be the initial stages of eutrophication.  Or not, but it's worth getting out in front of.  You don't want the EPA shutting you down.

Wonderful stuff, Willy!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

benedict

Congratulations, you're number one again this week on Ben's Top Ten!
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Swordmaster

P O R T    S T    C L A I R E
O S I T M   1 2 / 1 2

A final spurt to the end of the year. The remaining pictures are all from the same tile as Maddox Pond which we visited last time. This area, like the town of Barton, is among the oldest inhabited places in the region. I had a lot of fun building it; I hope it shows. As a reminder, we're still in our favorite time period (the 1790s).

Today's scene is Myers Farm. One of several who claims to be the oldest. In the northwest corner, it hugs Lake Valley Hill (the body of water to the left). Be sure to check the larger versions.

1.  Overview facing north.  (Larger version: 1665px)

2.  Facing west.  (Larger version: 1920px – 1.3 MB)  -  (Even larger version: 3236px – 3.8 MB)

3.  Facing south.  (Larger version: 1904px – 3.3 MB)

4.  You guessed it. . . facing east.  (Larger version: 1920px – 1.2 MB)

Replies

Quote from: MTT9Love this rural scenes Willy. How did you get those little ponds? The way they mix with the grass surroundings is just fantastic!
Thanks Matt! There's nothing extraordinarily complicated about these ponds. Game water, some MMPs, done. Granted, the more time you spend with these tools, the better you get. Still got a lot to learn, though. . .

Quote from: sunv123Looks like a little resort. How much is each night? I might be able to get a deal at the airstrip. ;) (you should really make one.)

Have a merry Christmas, Willy!
Thanks! Hardly a resort, though. Nights are free if you help get in the harvest.

PSC will have two international airports, three regional ones, plus a couple dozen private strips. Not scheduled for next year, though.

Quote from: noahclemBeautiful picture  &apls &apls  The big version was very much worth it! I'm really liking the way the terrain mod looks and all the rural details are perfect  :thumbsup:
Thanks, Noah! The notion "perfect" worries me, though. I hope I've got some room to grow here.

Quote from: JmouseIt's always a treat to visit Port St Claire and see your amazing rural scenes. There is so much going on in this one. First of all, I like the way you've done the fields – they are large enough to convince me that this is really a farming neighborhood, not a tiny 6x6 "garden." The houses are well placed, too, very much like they could be in RL. The ponds in the woods add a nice touch, and I love the covered wagon.

Overall, an excellent update, Willy...
-Joan
Thanks Joan. It's always a treat to read your comments, here and anywhere else. . .  Glad you thought this scene realistic. To be honest, I haven't a clue what the countryside really looks like, apart from my scrutinizing aerial pictures and all that.

Quote from: threestoogesWilly, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. The memories will remain though, so in a sense, she will always be with you.

Wonderful little Christmas card. I like the snow effect. It's a Charlie Brown Christmas tree type of card: beautiful in its simplicity and from the heart.

This update/mosaic is stunning. My compliments on the pond. Would I be correct that the pond is game water? If so, very nice job on masking the edges. Is that the terrain mod, or did all the MMP flora cover up any beach that showed up? I also like the little marsh at the top left of the image. The heron standing there would have been completely missed in just the overview. Nice touch.
-Matt
Thanks, Matt! Glad you're liking my work. You're correct about the game water – I don't use ploppable water due to all its deficits (or my lack of skills). PSC's terrain uses height as a relative parameter rather than an absolute. This particular pond isn't exactly at sea level, even if the game engine thinks it is. So even though the map is completely flat, in our imagination it's gently sloping so the rivers do flow "downward". Mind-tricks.

As to the terrain mod, this one is the inland version, which has dark gray "beaches". They don't stand out on themselves, so any added MMPs hide it quite well. And I'm happy to see you catch all the details hidden in there.

Quote from: KergelenI'm impressed with the pond. Transition from the forest to the water is amazing.
I love the detailing MMP, the use of chrisadams flowers and the green grass and nenufars inside the water. &apls
Thanks Kergelen! Happy to hear this from you.

Quote from: batThat's a beautiful shot there!!! Fantastic work on this farm.
Looking forward to more... ;)
Thanks bat!

Quote from: dedgrenFantastic work on Maddox Pond- extremely natural viewscape.  I am worried a bit, though, that the farmers working the land in the pond's watershed might be overdoing the fertilizer- the greenish color of the water might be the initial stages of eutrophication.  Or not, but it's worth getting out in front of.  You don't want the EPA shutting you down.

Wonderful stuff, Willy!

David
Thanks David! Happy to see you catching some of my work here. However, PSC being in the 1790s now, our farmers are fortunate enough not to have the EPA among their worries. I don't know whether eutoprocation eurotrophocation eurpothrocidization this thing you mentioned occurs from natural fertilizer, and for that matter, when synthetic fertilizer was invented. Though I studied 3RR long and hard, I have to admit I'm nowhere when it comes to understanding rural matters. I do imagine the color results from this being standing water, which allows all kinds of plants to sprout up and cover some of its surface.

Quote from: benedictCongratulations, you're number one again this week on Ben's Top Ten!
Glad you liked the steaks ;)

Back tomorrow. (Or today? What day is today? Oh my, 7AM. . . )

Cheers
Willy

nbvc

art128

Willy, these last four pictures are really impressive. They're like a piece of arts. I cannot even say which one is my favorite as I like them all the same.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Uzil

Fantastics pictures, as usual  ;)
You are a master with this game now.

weixc812

Amazing  &apls &apls
I love the way you deal with the riverbanks, sometimes you just cannot tell it's terran or water.
The scenes are so real  :thumbsup:
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

sunv123

The Delta is magnificent. The flora blends in perfectly with the water, it's hard to say if the water is real or not. It's just amazing. Floraers will have loved it. :thumbsup:

So i'll have to wait until 2014 to see an airport? :o That..... :'(

Have you ever thought up of having a corn maze in the corn field? ;)

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

MTT9

Great update Willy! That delta looks amazing ;)
You can call me Matt

Kergelen

Yes, this is art! &apls

I'm falling in love with your region ;D. What you have shown till now is amazing but I guess will be even better in the future.
Why? Because now you have a consistent combination of your own Lots, mods, water textures, and great MMPing...
And now every small improvement will add excepcional quality to your region.

Links to SC4 websites