• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Empire Bay: Green Meadows

Started by RickD, February 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benedict

Fantastic industrial scenes - this update has put you at number one on BTT this week.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Kergelen

Impressive industrial and dockland area.  &apls &apls

Links to SC4 websites

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:
The region is still mostly uninhabited. This is a great opportunity to build some facilities that no one wants in their neighborhood.

Iron Island Penitentiary

Iron Island is located in Blackwater Bay, just south of Empire Island.

It is the site for Simnations most dreaded maximum security prison.

Iron Island Penitentiary

The most dangerous prisoners from all over Simnation are brought here.

The psychiatric ward is full of serial killers, lunatics and super villains.

It is deemed impossible to escape from Iron Island. Even if anyone could make it out of the building, he would have to swim through the bay.

The water around the island is closely monitored. Any unauthorized boat entering the security perimeter is being warned only once. Then the prison guards are allowed to open fire.

The lighthouse keeper is the only civilian allowed on the island.

Beautiful autumn colors. I haven't given up on seasonal flora, yet. ;)

The lighthouse also is a lookout tower for the prison guards.

Hmm, I wonder if the guards are aware of this old pier on the opposite side of the island. Is it a security risk?

Next on Empire Bay:
Another industrial area with lots of railway stuff.

Replies:

jgehrts, nbvc, rooker1, art128, Tokugawa, ladybug, nas-t, Aaron Graham, eldaldo, Kergelen:
Thanks for commenting. I am really glad that you like my MD. This is what keeps me doing this. :)

Quote from: apeguy on June 06, 2012, 05:03:07 PM
Another excellent update, the docks are very well-made, and a very good choice of factories. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

On the subject of update size, personally I don't think there's nothing wrong with having 20-pic updates, just as long as there isn't too many on one page, because it increases load times for webpages, and some older browsers might not cope so well. (I have IE9 so it's not a problem for me, but some people might be affected) Also the street names are a nice touch, and not distracting at all. :) :)
Thank you. Yes, ideally there would be one update per page but this obviously depends on the number of comments.

Quote from: WannGLondon on June 06, 2012, 08:13:46 PM
First apeguy and now you, Raphael! Starting to love the idea of industrial-themed updates  :D I might just have an industrial themed update next for myself. As always, wonderful images, truly realistic city.
This was totally coincidental. I swear.  ;D Thanks!

Quote from: Dantes on June 07, 2012, 01:59:17 AM
The port area is very impressive.  :o I like to use the even larger ships dne harbor.  :thumbsup: The center has grown great. The style of buildings looks good.  &apls Where did you get the coal in Picture 3.19 ?
The industrial area is impressive.  :thumbsup:
Thank you, Dantes. I am not sure what coal you are refering to.

Quote from: noahclem on June 08, 2012, 08:44:28 AM
Excellent work on the Docklands area  &apls  The shoreline is very well composed and I hope you won't mind if I borrow some ideas when I develop the shoreline of my tile Pohjanmaa  ;D  Bat selection and rail layout is also great.

To answer your questions, I found the labels useful and not a distraction. A 24-picture update is just fine but longer than that is starting to get too long for me.
Glad you like it. I am looking forward to seeing how you develop the shoreline.

Quote from: vortext on June 08, 2012, 04:00:50 PM
The more pictures, the better  ;D

Labeling roads & sreets is great, in fact I always label everything myself as it adds to realism and I love seeing other folks doing this as well. Speaking about realism; imho you should really make more use of diagonals. Unless you're aiming for a full blown metropole, the city lay-out as it is now, is way too griddy. That said, I do like all the custom lotting going on, keep it up  :thumbsup:
What you are seeing here is the future center of a metropolis and I am following a strict grid plan. The town has been founded in the early 20th century when the car was already invented. I think the grid is realistic for a planned city of this time. There will be more diagonals in the outskirts, though, and the rail and freeways will break up the grid a bit.

Quote from: emmotic on June 12, 2012, 12:22:26 PM
Thats it Raphael, this is now my favourite MD  ;)
Keep it up!!!
Definitely! Thanks for the praise.  ()stsfd()

Quote from: benedict on June 16, 2012, 08:33:09 AM
Fantastic industrial scenes - this update has put you at number one on BTT this week.
Wow, many thanks to all who have commented!  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Dantes

Wow  :o That's fantastic  :'( Sooo cool  :o  :o  :o fantastic prison island rickD  :satisfied:

nas-t

i wanted to say i want to go there, maybe not the best idea  :D :D :D

no serious, i really like the rocky swath separating the forest, very realistic. and nice mix of the green and yellowish trees.  &apls

Schulmanator

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

noahclem

Great update  &apls  MMPs are top-notch and I really like the prison, lighthouse, and tower. Which supervillains are imprisoned there?  ;D

FrankU

What am I supposed to do in order to get an apartment in there?  ()what()

apeguy

Nice update, I love the detailing on the island, especially the rockslides. It's impressive how well you've made a Maxis Landmark fit in with everything else so well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

art128

That small pier indeed could be a problem... But as you said, it's very difficult to escape the island by boat.

Nice work on the island. I see it is inspired by Alcatrazz eh?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

WannGLondon

So cool and I love the story and realistic-ness. The lighthouse is at an awesome vantage point. Beautiful!
Call me Warren.

rooker1

Great work on the finer details and the prison.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Nanami

Nice update! the island just look as the real world prison island...

eldaldo

wow! I love it.  Your terrain detailing is excellent.

Ol.S / Benoit

Great work on this island, very unique !
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

carlfatal

I want to be the lighthouse keeper...  $%Grinno$%
This is really awesome, wow!
Greetz, Carl

FrankU

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:
Empire Bay is not only growing population-wise but also as a major industrial center.

Industrialisation

In today's update we will take a look at another industrial area.

It is located east of downtown, near East Harbor.

Development in this area started with the quarry (see Update 7).

Most of the materials for rebuilding the town after the great fire came from here.

In addition to the quarry, the Thikasa brick factory has been built.

Then the railroad constructed a spur line and some railyards and maintenance facilites.

Orange: Mainline through the region
Red: South Line, towards the railyard
Blue: East Harbor Spur

This kickstarted industrial development.

Attracted by rail access, many large factories were constructed along the rail line, which is being extended to the south as the industry grows.

This is the Empire & Kinbasket Railroad's freight yard. The freight trains leaving the region towards Simnation are compiled here.

Empire Bay's first and only road overpass takes 5th Avenue over the railyard.

Many factories, like Kitty Kibble Cat Food, are connected to the railroad by short spur lines. This direct rail access is the reason for the industrial development here.

Within the city, freight is being distributed by trucks.

Owosso Beet Sugar has it's own freight siding, too.

The junk yard.

Of course it is also connected to the railroad.

A closer look at the railyard. This is the northern entry.

Lots of rail cars are waiting to be transported to Simnation. The upper half is the departure, and the lower one the arrival section.

The overpass. It was very expensive to build but some members of the planning commision argue that it is a wise investment for the future, when more and more cars will be on the roads.

Several spurs branch off to connect more factories.

Due to the rapid development of the area, the railroad had less space to expand their facilities than expected. With the railyard already at capacity, they have to use every available space for storing waggons and engines. In the long term a new location for a larger railyard has to be found.

A roundhouse and maintenance facilites for the freight engines.

A partial region shot of Empire Bay, population ~98.000.
The industrial area from this update is to the east. Bear Island Penitentiary from the previous update can be seen on the island in the south.

Next on Empire Bay:
The construction of Empire Bay's first skyscraper! Recorded live to Jpeg.

Replies:

Dantes, nas-t, Schulmanator, apeguy, rooker1, 976, eldaldo, Ol.S / Benoit, carlfatal:
I am glad you all liked the latest update. Thanks for commenting.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: noahclem on June 18, 2012, 06:58:27 AM
Great update  &apls  MMPs are top-notch and I really like the prison, lighthouse, and tower. Which supervillains are imprisoned there?  ;D
Thanks Noah. The newest innmates are The Simler, Luther Lex, Poison Simly, and the worst of 'em all: Dancing Pink Elephantwoman &dance (one of Ratman's arch enemies)

Quote from: FrankU on June 18, 2012, 07:39:35 AM
What am I supposed to do in order to get an apartment in there?  ()what()
We should not discuss this here on this family friendly site.  :o I mean, we are talking about the worst and most ruthless crimes, including pirating music, not separating your waste, mowing the lawn on a sunday, and parking in a residential parking zone without permit.

Quote from: art128 on June 18, 2012, 11:04:47 AM
That small pier indeed could be a problem... But as you said, it's very difficult to escape the island by boat.

Nice work on the island. I see it is inspired by Alcatrazz eh?
Thanks. It sure is, but also by Arkham Asylum from the first Batman game on xbox. I am still looking for suitable Bats to do a recreation of it.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Great looking update! All these industrial area are fantastic. Too bad the game doesn't allow smooth curves everywhere though. The overpass is definitely a good idea, I couldn't imagine all the traffic going through the six tracks and the street. (plus it looks more secure like that)

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Grneyes

That is great! Crazy railways!!!!!!