• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RKT4 and Prop Random Chance

Started by FrankU, June 24, 2011, 05:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

And another thing on RKT4.

It seems possible to edit a prop in such a way that there is a random chance of the prop to appear. This seems a very useful property to me for making variation on lots.
Now the information I found is quite sparsely found on this site.
So it is possible I overlooked an instructive tutorial. So please forgive me then.

The first question is: does this mean that the prop will be on some lots and not on others, or does it mean that the prop disappears and appears during the game on the same spot on a specific lot? I hope it is the first option. This would mean that a certain prop will be on a certain lot either never or either all the time.

What I found out is that the prop needs to be RKT4. All properties of the RKT4 file are given by Ripplejet in another thread. No problem, I understand that.
Apparently I have to add the property Prop Random Chance and give it a value. That was easy. I did it, put the edited prop on a lot and.... Nothing happened. All the props appeared, like they should not.
Is there someone who can help me:
1. did I do enough,
2. or did I overlook something and
3. what values in the property are to be used? Ilive said: I should put an integer between 1 and 255, so I guessed that 128 would be about 50% chance. Pitifully it did not work that way.

Please help?

Rayden

Lowkee33

The value of Prop Random Chance is a percentage, so you entered 128%.  Try something a little lower :)

As for how it will appear, the first way you mentioned (if there, always there).

Going to get a little technical now (cover your eyes Matt  :P )

RKT4 allows the model to change state.  For props, it is either on or off (0 or 1).

A RKT4 of one model (8 reps) is in state 0 (defined by the 1st rep).  Prop Random Chance is the chance that the model will be in state 0 and display in-game.  This is also the way timing works.  The prop is "on" for the day/night/months that you assign it to.

Props of RKT4 can have two models display, and this is done by increasing the reps to 16.  The first set of 8 reps is the "off" model (The first of the 16 reps will be 0x00000001), and the second set of 8 reps is the "on" model (The 9th rep will be 0x00000000).  This is how you can have a flower prop bloom during the summer.

Timing and Random Chance work together, which is what I have done for car models.  The cars are given a random chance, and a time of day property.  If random chance is 50% and time of day is "0,12", there will be a 50% chance that the car displays between 12am and 12pm (Actually 12:59pm).

Then there is Active Lot State.  This can be set to "Occupied" so that if the building abandons, the prop will not show.  There are a few more possible lot states, but they are much unknown to their use.  "Abandoned" is nice, but it's basically an inverse of "Occupied" (meaning it will show the "off" prop when the lot is occupied).

Finally, Prop Requester Satisfaction.  This property does not need to be in a prop exemplar.  This property is "turned on" when the 2nd rep of the LotConfigProperties is set to end with a "1".  Otherwise, it doesn't matter what wealth your prop is.  Check out This for how that goes.  Maxis Family 0xA0000001 has props of all requesters (Crime, Garbage, Wealth) and all wealth levels.  If you put this on a lot and set the LotConfig rep correctly, you will see props constantly changing as crime moves around the city.  I haven't been able to get the Crime/Garbage working correctly on custom props.

FrankU

So, what I have done:
The exemplar I have used has 8 reps, the first being 0, so I guessed this must be the state that we see. Meaning: the prop is showing.
I changed the PRC to 10% (0x0000000A). Then I placed this prop ten times on one lot. I plopped the lot in game ten times. Meaning: there could be 100 props, but because of the PRC of 10%, I expected to see about 10 props. I saw 100. Even after trying several times. I always saw all props. What could I do to make it work?

I don't want the props to be seen only a certain amount of hours a day or days a year. I am working on ditches with cattails and grasses surrounding the water. I do not intend to make them seasonal. I just want the cattails to pop up on different places every time I plop a lot.