• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Dilapidation Mask

Started by Lowkee33, March 30, 2011, 08:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowkee33

Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to turn of the dilapidation mask for when a building is dilapidated.  I am not trying to turn dilapidation off, just the darkness that comes with it.  Thanks.

rooker1

I remember Tage (Ripplejet) made a modd that did the opposite so this must be possible as well.  Or he made it for me, I forget now.  But he was able to make all the buildings look run down.  ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Lowkee33

Tage?  %confuso

:)

Did they just look rundown, or were they really rundown?

rooker1

If I remember correctly it was applied to all my buildings.  ;D
Call me Robin, please.

Lowkee33

Could you run the city with no problems?

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

Terring7

Wait, so it's possible to make a dilapidated building to not look anymore like an abandoned one? ???
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

rooker1

It might be.   
We'll have to wait for Ripplejet to come around.  At one time he made a modd for me that made all buildings look old and run down and they really weren't dilapidated.  So with that said, one can assume it would be possible to the opposite. ;)  I have had a look around for the modd but can't seem to find it.  It maybe on my home computer, I'll have a look later.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Lowkee33

Thanks Robin.

Quote from: Terring7 on March 31, 2011, 11:44:18 AM
Wait, so it's possible to make a dilapidated building to not look anymore like an abandoned one? ???

Thats the idea.  I am making prop families that have props with different requesters (Wealth/Crime/Trash).  By default, LE's will set SimCity to pick one at random.  By changing the last digit of the 2nd rep in the LotConfigProperties to a "1", the requester is "turned on".  Make a lot using Maxis Family 0xA0000005.  By default, every prop will be chosen at random, meaning that many lots will have the Chalk Outline prop (which is a crime requester).  making the LotConfig change will have the outline never appear unless their is crime nearby, and it will then go away when crime disperses (often changing back into a non-crime prop).

Bringing it to wealth levels, a prop family of a straight fence has a white fence set to $$, and a brown fence set to $.  When a $$ lot becomes dilapidated (and becomes a $ lot), all of the fences turn brown.  This effect would be much more appreciated (by me) if the entire lot didn't get the darkness.

You can also check out the Maxis "Two Cans" family.  To use this family correctly, the Lotconfig should be changed.  The cans (which have garbage requesters) will never appear unless there is garbage on the lot.  Although, most of the Cans are invisible so you most likely wont see anything when their is garbage (seems even maxis didn't like "prop random chance").

(Jeroni's street side mod would not have the toilet paper tree if the 2nd rep was changed, unless there was crime.)

The For Sale sign uses the "Active Lot State" Abandoned.  Lot states don't need a change in LotConfig, however, but they do need to be RKT4 to work.  Seemingly, Abandoned and Occupied are inverses, and only one of the states is needed (only a change in the model order in the RKT4).  Haven't tested it, but a car should be able to change to a stripped car when the lot becomes abandoned.

The For Sale sign is the only Maxis Prop that uses Abandoned as a Requester.  A mystery to look into are the burnt rubble props that appear after a lot has burnt down (which happens a lot when every prop has a flammability of 0x32 :P).

The main test will be if I can make enough dependent props to be able to tell the difference between an dilapidated/abandoned lot without the mask. 

RippleJet

The mod that Robin is talking about, RJ - Gritty Look 1.0, is attached to this post. :)

The opposite might be achieved by setting the distressed threshold to 0, instead of 0.45.
That's what the mod attached to this post does, RJ - Clean Look 1.0.
It also reduced the threshold for abandonment from 0.3 to 0.01.

Let me know if you get the effect you're looking for! :)

rooker1

Very nice Tage.  Thank you for finding the Grttiy Modd, I have lost my copy.  I'll be putting that in my pluggins right away.  ;)
Call me Robin, please.

Lowkee33

Thanks Tage :).  Like Robin says, if a building can look "distressed" and not be, then a distressed building should be able to look "content".  I can't test it out right now, but will try to get some good pictures together.  Just gotta make more props and wealth dependent textures...

Lowkee33

Got to test this out today :).  Turns out making a R$$$ lot with dilapidation is pretty tough, first cause you have to re-mod everything, and then you have to make three lots in one(I skipped the abandoned one, and wasn't too worried about messed up props).  I was hoping the Buildingasprops patch had Prop Wealth (or families for that matter) but no.  I also had to add some invisible textures for the overlay wealths, but the result is pretty decent.

R$$$

Disstresses to R$$

And R$

The "Clean mod" doesn't seem to work.  At one point the R$$ was clean, but when I changed zooms it converted back to dilapidated.

The houses are picked randomly from the family, so there is no way to get them to stay the same (on the same Lot).  Also, I was using parks to get the original R$$$ to grow, and realized that all plopped lots have their own wealth level that effects the wealth of the props (in an non-Track dependent sort of way).  Some props go away because they become no-wealth, some stay  &mmm

Thanks to Koldovag for the heads up about the LotConfig Rep.  Many Maxis props are actually named by their wealth level, so picking them out for a quick lot is pretty fast.  Then you go through Reader and change all of the 2nd reps in the LotConfig Propterties to end with a "1".  Textures do not seem effected by setting this rep, but that was a quick test by me and I could have been wrong.

tag_one

Wait, if I see and read this right it's quite easy to do the following: Make a bunch of apartments with different wealth levels (see pic below), add those to a lot as wealth dependent props. Use a trashcan or something as building (or can the building be wealth dependent? So that when it starts to decay the building becomes invisible and replaced by a lower wealth triggered prop). And then you have building that is realistically decaying in the game? That sounds omg so good :) In that case this would be possible for a simple apartment building:

If possible we can have realistic run down area's  ::) wow

Lowkee33

Quote from: tag_one on April 03, 2011, 11:15:25 AM
If possible we can have realistic run down area's  ::) wow

Yes  ;D.  You could make the original wealth upgrades (new lots) to use the same building model, as often higher wealth people don't tear the house down to move in.  Such things would require large planning though.

QuoteUse a trashcan or something as building (or can the building be wealth dependent? So that when it starts to decay the building becomes invisible and replaced by a lower wealth triggered prop).

My assumption would be that the actual Building can not decay with the lot.  First steps would be to place various wealth building exemplars in the same Family, and then change the 2nd rep to end with a 1 in LotConfigObject.  I will give it a shot, although I feel like many things get in the way of the actual Building changing (can't have a timed building).
Tongue thumbsup
I used an invisible building, so everything there is props.  The R$$$ house needed to be a $$$ prop, and then duplicated as a $$ prop.  This way when the lot decayed the house remained (and could then be nicely burnt down for the $ lot).  Likewise, the R$$ house was also a $ prop.  The stone walls simply didn't have the 2nd rep changed so they stayed the whole time.   

Nearby plops were a problem.  Some props would take on the wealth, but not textures.  It wasn't every prop on the lot either, you can picture a mish-mash of wealthed-props that may or may not match the overlay textures, and it isn't pretty   :P