• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Wonderful job!I like the way you terraform before creating your highways and rails...just a question...in the previous update it seems to me that you show an RHW 10 bridge model based on MHW bridge??? ()what()
anyway great work &apls

kelis

Great couple of pictures, I like the roads and highways through the buildings and the city, great job as always my friend.
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

noahclem

Accidental early post--not sure why it came but here are the replies so far:

Also a picture or two  ;)

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy77/noahclem/reindeerreply_polished.jpg

Quote from: nbvc on February 29, 2012, 09:33:41 PM
The landscape with the lift looks nice and the North Pohjanmaa's shoreline too. :thumbsup:
Thanks man! Glad you liked it!
Quote from: threestooges on February 29, 2012, 10:50:25 PM
That clarified things nicely Noah. Thanks for the shot of the areas surrounding the rail interchange.

Also, congratulations on what looks like a highly successful (and for my part quite enjoyable to watch) month in OSITM. Looking forward to seeing things continue. The month may be over, but I doubt the interest will wane.
-Matt
Here's to OCITM  :D  Let's continue the interest but more importantly the partnership. Again, it's been a real pleasure and I'm glad you've enjoyed my production this month.

Quote from: rooker1 on March 01, 2012, 04:13:27 AM
Great month!
We got 13 awe inspring updates with great pics and one really funny looking guy, with, not too sure if that's an evil smile or what.  $%Grinno$% ;) On top of that you were in The Best Sellers section in January, in February we moved you to OSITM and now I get to congratulate you for making it to The Classics section, exactly where an MD of this caliber belongs!!
Thanks again for a fantastic month.

Robin &apls
It's a pleasure to officially join the classics! As I mentioned in my PM I sincerely appreciate your words. You were perhaps the most important person with regard to my starting an MD in the first place so your comments are especially welcoming and flattering. I'm a bit bummed out that my poorly-judged picture can't continue to be a part of Siilijoki but the overriding goal here is presenting my ideas for SimCity, not what I think is funny to people of my own age. I hope to continue to pique your interest and I enthusiastically thank you for your continued support  &bis&

Quote from: Swordmaster on March 01, 2012, 04:13:53 AM
Wow, those are great pics. I never mind naked stuff  ;D
Really great layouts there.

Cheers,
Willy
Haha, glad you enjoyed the joke!! thanks for the nice comment on the interchange layouts  :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on March 01, 2012, 04:37:02 AM
Great pictures, Noah! Really enjoyed this " naked view " of Siilijoki !

But.. don't tell me you were wearing a T-shirt in winter.... r-right ?.... right ... ? :D
Glad you also enjoyed the nakedness Arthur!! Not to worry, the picture was taken next to the Helsinki Central Station last summer when my family visited  ;D

Quote from: Terring7 on March 01, 2012, 05:20:55 AM
Great pictures, especially the pictures with the shoreline walls and the other with the highway intersection and the tunnels are awesome &dance &dance
Can't wait for the new O.S.I.T.M. ;D
Thanks so much Elias  &dance  You're a good man and it's always a pleasure to see you around here  :thumbsup:

Quote from: io_bg on March 01, 2012, 07:49:01 AM
Wow, all these interchanges :o 24.2 left me almost speechless. &apls
And it seems the weather is quite nice in Finland ;D
I'm really glad you liked that interchange! It was the first thing I developed in the area (the river came just after, followed by the rails). It's one of my favorites because it fits the area so well without being too complicated. The weather is from last summer 500km south though--up here it's still pretty frozen and will be for a couple more months  ;)

Quote from: Dantes on March 01, 2012, 11:05:53 AM
An impressive landscape. &apls  I'm curious how the landscaping continues.
I like your town center is already planned. It is very modern and colorful.  :satisfied:

You look real way, very different. I thought you'd like Finland from Hetailia. :-[
Thank you much for the nice comment Dantes  :thumbsup:  The continuation of landscaping will be revealed here soon.... But I'm wondering what you expected me to look like? Picture example...

Quote from: Jmouse on March 01, 2012, 05:12:17 PM
You and Matt have certainly given us an exciting ride this month – in more ways than one! ;) 24.1 is an interesting study in successfully combining transport and urban design with the environment. Your transport systems are certainly worth a much closer look.

The shoreline in 24.6 is a refreshing break from urban saturation, and I find myself trying to guess how 24.8 will turn out. Nice photo of you, too, and the background is stunning.

This has been one of the best OSITMs in memory, thanks to a couple of enthusiastic MDers who have definitely put their best foot forward. Both of you have really defined your own personal regional-development style, and I like what I see.

Excellent work...
-Joan

How to answer what is probably the kindest comment I've ever received....  I'll start by mentioning how happy I've been with Siilijoki since you've returned to being one of (or perhaps the greatest) followers of my work. I promise that the questions you have will be answered and a more thorough look is in store in all the aforementioned areas.

As I've already mentioned, all those that voted or suggested names in the contest (thanks for the idea) will receive some naming rights. Given all the support you've given to Siilijoki I'd like to offer you a special package. I'll have a bit of fun surprising you with my own ideas for thanking your contributions but I'd love to here what you'd like with regard to Siilijoki's continued development, your domicile within Siilijoki, and any other suggestions for directions to go in the future. I can't thank you enough  &bis&

Quote from: benedict on March 03, 2012, 06:15:54 AM
Congratulations on a great month, and on being number one for the third week in a row on Ben's Top Ten!
Thanks Ben, I'm extremely honored to be the first one to achieve 3 weeks! I didn't want to comment in your thread because I didn't want to sound overconfident but I'm really glad you've started your ranking and I'm extremely honored to have done so well with it!

Quote from: clemenclm2001 on March 03, 2012, 10:45:57 AM
Amazing region.
I haven't seem it.
I have liked a lot.
Greetings from Jana
Thank you! I'm really glad you've visited Siilijoki! My last name is "Clem"--is part of your name Clem or is there another reason for your name? Just curious  ;D

Quote from: rambuckel on March 05, 2012, 09:08:55 AM
Amazing pictures again Noah! I can just repeat what I already said ... there's only very few players that handle rural areas as well as high rise urban areas ... you definetely are one of them :) Really enviable!

Great update  &apls
Again you're too kind! You're a VIP around here  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Battlecat on March 05, 2012, 09:22:31 AM
Brilliant finish to your run in OSITM!  Love the major highway interchange under construction in 24.8.  Also, congratulations on your move to Classics! 
Thanks for everything Gordon! I have to admit I've been inspired by you for both my OSITM, the presentation style of my MD, and my cities in general by your work. Thanks for that as well  ;)

Quote from: catty on March 05, 2012, 09:27:43 AM
Quote from: Battlecat on March 05, 2012, 09:22:31 AM
...congratulations on your move to Classics!

I'll second that  &apls
Thank you much! I'm a bit behind on your work (and everybody else's) because of my seasonal work but I'll be back  $%Grinno$%  See ya soon  :thumbsup:

Quote from: weixc812 on March 06, 2012, 02:02:10 AM
I'm coming, Noah  ;D How can I miss this one....
I must say I'm overcome by your traffic system  &apls
And all the pics are great  :thumbsup:
Hey hey, glad to see you here buddy!! I loved your work on the Chinese website alot. I hope you start an MD here too--and if you want suggestions or help let me know!

Quote from: bat on March 06, 2012, 02:15:16 AM
Great work on the updates in the OSITM...
And congrats on 500+ replies. :thumbsup: &apls
Looking forward to more great updates... ;)
Thanks bat!!! Great to hear from one of SC4D's legends once again  :thumbsup:

bat

Two great new shots with a nice rain effect. :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Lovely work as always!

I appreciate that very much!  I've found your work quite inspirational as well, especially your use of the RHW!   

Schulmanator

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

RickD

I like the parking garage in the first picture. Great urban scene.
I wonder were the opposite lanes of that RHW in the second picture are.  ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Jmouse

Geez, is it still raining in Siilijoki? Time to break out the pontoon boats! Actually, I love the rain effects, and all those pretty trees in the second photo need plenty of water. I'm not sure what I see on that bridge. The rail behind the train car has ties, but they appear to be missing in front of it (assuming it's moving toward me). On the other hand, maybe it's just an optical illusion or I need new glasses! &mmm

You've been around me long enough to know I speak from the heart, not from a script, and I meant what I said. You're talented and dedicated, and it shows. Let me go back a bit and get a better sense of direction before commenting on Siilijoki's future development. As for the domicile, I'd like a hobby farm with a few head of cattle, a hay field and maybe a nice little garden. And I LOVE surprises! &dance

-Joan

art128

Two nice shots again, Noah! I really liked the first one with the tram stop, W2W parking and that overpass.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rambuckel

Those scenes are just perfect! I guess the umbrella-industry in Siilijoki has some good deals these days =)

- Theresa
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Dantes

The two pictures look fantastic.  &apls When the railway viaduct, it looks right from big city feeling. Both images are great work.  &apls  &apls  &apls

noahclem

At long last...

Hugo wins!!
Hugo was suggested by Raphael (RickD) who is now entitled to the grand prize of a residence of his choice (all details of location, building, etc of his choosing), a place-name in his honor (anything and anywhere), and an all-expenses trip paid to Siilijoki! What I've so far not mentioned about the last award is that your trip can be documented in an update of Siilijoki, however you want. This includes narrating an entire update of my pictures.

At my latest count, "Hugo" had several other supporters: catty, rambuckle, carlfatal, zzsteven, and vinlabs3k. You are all entitled to your choice of any of the previous three awards (vinlabs3k has already chosen his home via PM, which will be featured shortly).

All other contestants who nominated will be entitled to one of the three awards as well! This includes Matt (threestooges) with Willie, Joan (jmouse) with ClarenceArthur (art128) with Timothée, and Elias (Terring) with Artemis.

These contestant's supporters, Wallasey, Benedict, Swordmaster (coincidentally also a Willy  :D ), and 976 are all entitled a place-name as well  :thumbsup:

Thanks to everybody for participating in what I hope was a fun little game around here. Please let me know your preferences for your award via post here or PM. I'll be contacting those that are overly slow to respond and eventually making the choice for you if I can't track you down  ;D

So, without further ado:

I must apologize for the delay on this one. I just finished my business' busiest time of the year and not only have I survived, but business has risen quite substantially over last year and the reception of my new menu (put out during my OSITM somehow) has been outstanding!

I've been able to play a bit of "therapeutic" SimCity during this time but certainly had no time for publishing. And I've been playing all over the place, while also continuing on Siilijoki's version of Project 0E, a massive upgrade of civic services, attempting to get the demand I desire, and getting my inter-city commuting functioning the way I want (I compare it to Project 0E because the progress is initially not exciting to watch but the results should change the game while putting Siilijoki's future expansion on a solid foundation)*.

Not named project 0E anymore

Enough of my rambling, let's get to the update!

The place is North Pohjanmaa (east and a bit north of Siilijoki's city center) and we'll start out immediately adjacent to the central rail station I've been showing off lately.

Urban Z6 pictures are so hard to create but this one came together on accident. Thanks to orangeo and motokloss for the HD buildings and vester for the great HD tram automata :thumbsup:

A block away development runs up against a steep hill between it and the shoreline

The same place at night:

Right nearby from a different angle:

Just a bit to the west of here is the Tunturijoki (Fell River), being crossed in the picture just west of North Pohjanmaa Central Station

Back to Z6  ;D

And let's close with a mosaic at night covering most of the previously shown pics and a bit more  :thumbsup:

There's more of this area to come as well as the area between here and the other rail station of North Pohjanmaa. Work in Siilijoki Proper, Tunturikyla, North Siilijoki, East Pohjanmaa, West Pohjanmaa, and even Igelstadt has been ongoing and visits to those places are also in the works. I'm open to suggestions for what is next....

Quote from: bat on March 07, 2012, 03:39:21 PM
Two great new shots with a nice rain effect. :thumbsup:
Thanks bat, glad you liked the pics and the rain! A bit less photoshop this time around  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Battlecat on March 07, 2012, 03:41:13 PM
Lovely work as always!

I appreciate that very much!  I've found your work quite inspirational as well, especially your use of the RHW!   
Thank you much Gordon! Praise is given where praise is due. Always a pleasure to have you visit  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Schulmanator on March 07, 2012, 06:00:17 PM
Nicely done!  &apls
Thank you!

Quote from: RickD on March 08, 2012, 12:35:16 AM
I like the parking garage in the first picture. Great urban scene.
I wonder were the opposite lanes of that RHW in the second picture are.  ;)
Thanks Raphael! The opposite lanes are on the other side of that little river. You can get a preview of the "upper half" of that interchange in my previous "naked" update but I've haven't shown the whole thing together yet. It will make sense, I promise, though I'm having a hell of a time convincing my Sims to use it correctly :/

Congrats on winning the competition and I look forward to hearing from you as to how you'd like your prizes! Reader interaction is a lot of fun for me here and I think we should be able to have a good time with this one  ;)

Quote from: Jmouse on March 08, 2012, 12:12:24 PM
Geez, is it still raining in Siilijoki? Time to break out the pontoon boats! Actually, I love the rain effects, and all those pretty trees in the second photo need plenty of water. I'm not sure what I see on that bridge. The rail behind the train car has ties, but they appear to be missing in front of it (assuming it's moving toward me). On the other hand, maybe it's just an optical illusion or I need new glasses! &mmm

You've been around me long enough to know I speak from the heart, not from a script, and I meant what I said. You're talented and dedicated, and it shows. Let me go back a bit and get a better sense of direction before commenting on Siilijoki's future development. As for the domicile, I'd like a hobby farm with a few head of cattle, a hay field and maybe a nice little garden. And I LOVE surprises! &dance

-Joan

Pontoons sound fun to me, let's do it! Your sincerity makes your compliments all the more flattering and you can expect a hobby farm in the not-too-distant future. I needed someone to give me a push towards an agricultural area anyway  :D

And your love of surprises is noted  ;D

Quote from: art128 on March 08, 2012, 12:36:43 PM
Two nice shots again, Noah! I really liked the first one with the tram stop, W2W parking and that overpass.

Thanks Arthur, glad you liked them! I love that parking area too, especially since it's HD!

Quote from: rambuckel on March 08, 2012, 12:53:41 PM
Those scenes are just perfect! I guess the umbrella-industry in Siilijoki has some good deals these days =)

- Theresa
Thanks as always Theresa! You could say it's "raining money" at the umbrella shops (sorry for the shamelessly horrible pun  $%Grinno$% ). The rainiest season is over for now though--and the last couple were only made rainy because they were too similar to other pictures I liked that were shown in this update  ;)

Quote from: Dantes on March 09, 2012, 04:10:47 AM
The two pictures look fantastic.  &apls When the railway viaduct, it looks right from big city feeling. Both images are great work.  &apls  &apls  &apls
Thanks very much Dantes! Really glad you liked the rail viaduct and I've been working to make this area the "big city" center on the other side of the river as the region's central CBD  :thumbsup:

art128

Quote from: noahclem on March 14, 2012, 02:36:01 PM

All other contestants who nominated will be entitled to one of the three awards as well! This includes Matt (threestooges) with Willie, Joan (jmouse) with ClarenceArthur (art128) with Tomothee, and Elias (Terring) with Artemis.

Pssst, it's Timothée, not Tomothee. :P

Nice update, Noah! Both night and day pictures are all looking great. The zoom 6 one near the hotel and the river, with a train passing by the bridge is really charming.
I also liked the mosaic, nice combination of buildings, and the tram lines running through the city are wonderfully placed.

I voted for 1024pix picture size. In my opinion, I judge the smaller one... too small, it'll not let us see the details as much as we can.

take care,

-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

apeguy

Another fine update, I love the night pic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Terring7

Hugo? From Hugo Gernsback? ;D
What's the white building in 25.6? It looks interesting :)
As about my reward (what a honour &bis& ), I'll let you choice for me. I like surprises :thumbsup:
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Jmouse

I've never made a secret of my dislike for urbanization, but you do a good job of making it more than tolerable. ;) 25.1 with a tram pulling into the station is an excellent composition. As always, I prefer the softness of the colors and trees in 25.2 over city streets, though.

You know what a sucker I am for night shots, and yours are stunning. 25.5 is just an out and out pretty picture, and once again, I like those trees in 25.6. Who created them? I'm starting a new plugin folder for my region, and I'd like to have those in it.

25.7 is about as alive and vibrant as any in-game pic I've ever seen. The colors definitely light up the night, and once again, you've created a good composition. You could have chosen any area, but my guess is, you chose the best one. Somehow you captured a tram or two or three, the bright city lights and a boat going under the bridge.

Good work...
-Joan

nbvc

Great night images and the river with trees looks nice too. &apls

Kergelen

Very nice update!

I recognize the main features I like most of Sillijoki: the tram system, the vegetation so close to the river, the magnificent bridges and pleasant nighttime images.

&apls

Links to SC4 websites

vinlabsc3k

Noah, your pics are splendid as ever :thumbsup: and thanks for the funny game. :D
I voted for 1024px too. ;)
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

rooker1

Very nice update, I really like that first ingame pic of the rail bridge over the river.
I voted for 1024 as well, but I have often posted my pics at 800 and would never go any smaller.

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.