• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Love the first update Noah. 
That river is perfect and that bridge is very interesting....is it diagonal?

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

art128

Yes, Robin, that bridge is diagonal!

I really liked this update as well, Noah! The night shot is my favourite picture.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Dantes

Image 20.2 is awesome  :o And the mosaic is: fantastic again  :thumbsup: I love your river too  :o

Terring7

Cool pictures from a well deserved O.S.I.T.M. M.D. :thumbsup:
Keep it up &apls
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Kergelen

Fanastic update, Noah! &apls &apls
The river with bridges are nice and the selection of buildings interesting.
I specially like the picture 20.2 whit the back of the Parisian buildings and the RHW at a higher level.

And congrats on the OSITM! :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

Battlecat

Superb update!  I love the water in this one. 

Jmouse

You did start out with a bang, didn't you Noah! The tree-lined waterways look great - so natural and realistic. And it looks like you have an attractive rock mod, too. Which one is it?

I envy your ability to create an effective and attractive transport system. I have to agree with Matt - 20.05 is not only a beautiful night shot, the composition is stunning.

This is a great beginning to what I know will be a terrific month in OSITM. I wish February had at least 40 days.

-Joan

DerChrischi

"BOAH GEIL ey, Alter! Krass!"
This wuold say my Pupils!  :D

I love picture 20.3.

I am Faszinated!

noahclem

Many thanks for the kind words everyone! True to my word, I've included individual thanks below to all of you who've taken time out of your day to put a smile on my face  ;D

I've also prepared three pictures for your enjoyment:

The first is one from Tunturikyla Ski Resort, also my submission for the winter picture contest in Catty's
Urban Design - The Goal of SC4 thread.

20.11 A sharp drop

Any winter image created with any city simulating program is eligible and a year's SC4D subscription will be awarded to the winner. The contest ends in 21ish replies to that thread so hurry and be sure to enjoy the interesting and unfamiliar stuff while you're over there  ;)

Next is something I believe to be a first for Siilijoki, a completely unpolished, work-in-progress shot of the region's very center.

The freeways entering here have just left the bridge over the Siilijoki River. I wanted the bridge to be high enough for traffic to cross under it realistically but since bridges have to be flat in SC4* it had to enter the city center at some 30m elevation. My intent was to get the motorway underground as quickly as realistically possible with ample opportunity for traffic to exit beforehand. The tunnel would be MHW-based and start where the two RHW-4 halves meet on the right hand side. The whole square of roads covering that was intended to be covered with a building or buildings rendered as offset, overhanging props (with offset, overhanging base textures, naturally).

I've since decided that I'll most likely convert traffic to subway using TE lots in a much smaller footprint instead. I'm prone to being a network "purist" in some sense but the freight traffic that can't pass through those subway conversions has no business in a tunnel under a dense city center anyway.

I have a lot more to share about this area and how the surrounding motorway network is planned, as well as the city itself (lots of plans, very little done, as you can see). For now I'd really like to hear you thoughts on the proposed development around here.

I won't ask for as much of your brain power for this one. This guy (a reindeer) and his family occupied my back yard for a couple weeks last summer. Much like the human "Occupy" movement they were pleasant and friendly but didn't do a great job cleaning up their own waste.

Quote from: Dantes on January 19, 2012, 04:30:11 AM
*yay* A new snow Teaser  :) 400 comments ? Congrulations to you  :thumbsup:
Thanks for the big congrats Dantes!

Quote from: rooker1 on January 19, 2012, 09:11:44 AM
Awesome pic and congrats on your 400 reply milestone.

Robin &apls
Thanks a lot Robin! Always a pleasure to have you around here!

Quote from: JoeST on January 20, 2012, 12:41:34 PM
wow, what an awesome MD :D I should have seen this before.... just wow :o
What a surprisingly great comment! Thanks for making my day, welcome to Siilijoki, and I hope to see you back soon!

Quote from: art128 on January 20, 2012, 01:17:09 PM
That is one big parking lot, Noah! :D
Is it that big? There are a lot of people at a ski hill in one day, even though this isn't the main entrance. Anyway, thanks for commenting buddy :)

Quote from: bat on January 21, 2012, 06:54:11 AM
Congrats on 400+ replies! &apls &apls &apls (93 left for 500...)
Also nice work on the car park.
Thanks for the kind words bat!

Quote from: ricardomiranda on January 23, 2012, 06:19:35 AM
Nice teaser !
Thanks Ricardo, glad you liked it!

Quote from: kelis on January 27, 2012, 04:34:26 AM
Beautiful teaser, I hope to see more my friend  :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot friend, I'm glad to hear you liked it and hope you've enjoyed my work sense  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Badsim on January 31, 2012, 03:41:05 AM

Love your work about snow theme Noah , :thumbsup:  there's still not that much custom content for that so that's rather hard and generally there's always a "green something" wrong . ::) Paradoxically , most of details ( props ) should be hidden under the snow so it would be not that much complicated for BATers to serve that cause ; simply a snow covered roof version of their buildings we could select ... our community is finally not enough imaginative ( nor organised ) !  $%Grinno$% Too bad ... Hope to see more pictures like these , so beautiful despite ( and also due to ) their simplicity .

&apls &apls &apls

Cédric.
So glad to have you visit Cédric! Welcome to Siilijoki and thank you for the kind words! Snow is indeed a tricky way to play SC4 but it has a unique and beautiful potential that make it exciting. Girafe saw that and was kind enough to create a number of amazing things for winter fun but there still isn't a lot to work with. Since neither of us bat maybe we should try to encourage batters to add snowy (prop-less?) versions of their work in the future by creating nice pictures and bemoaning the lack of additional content  ;D

Quote from: rooker1 on February 01, 2012, 04:14:10 AM
Here is an MD that never seizes to amaze us all and this is why it gives me great pleasure to move it to the OSITM section this month.  I'm sure we all will have a great time following Noah.

Congratulations from The SC4D Staff!!! &apls
I'm extremely honored Robin, as much by your flattering words as by the committee's decision to feature me. Keep watching and I hope I put on a captivating show  :satisfied:

Quote from: art128 on February 01, 2012, 05:09:18 AM
Congrats on the second OSITM, Noah!
Thanks a lot Arthur!!

Quote from: Battlecat on February 01, 2012, 08:16:40 AM
Congratulations on your second visit to OSITM!   &apls &apls

It's well deserved and I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned. 
You're very kind and I really hope you enjoy my work this month! Adara has certainly been an inspiration for Siilijoki, even though they're quite different places  :)

Quote from: Skimbo on February 01, 2012, 12:09:44 PM
Congrats for the well earned OSITM!
Thank you very much old friend, I hope you enjoy it!

Quote from: Jmouse on February 01, 2012, 01:31:49 PM
Congratulations, Noah. OSITM (x2) is a fitting reward for a consistently-outstanding MD created by a very special person. :)

As usual you're too kind Joan! Thanks for the flattering words and I hope you enjoy this month!

Quote from: Framly on February 01, 2012, 02:51:42 PM
Congrats on the second OSITM, Noah &apls

Well deserved :)
Thank you very much! I hope Siilijoki is anywhere near as special a place to you as Rondnoir is to me  :thumbsup:

Quote from: rambuckel on February 01, 2012, 03:41:08 PM
It seems I missed some great pictures! Congratulations on this OSITM! Very well deserved!

- rambuckel
Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy this month here and it's always a pleasure to have you visiting  :)

Quote from: threestooges on February 01, 2012, 07:50:42 PM
I love it Noah. 20.5 in particular is a nicely constructed shot. The blend of the tall building in the foreground, with the 45 degree row behind it, with the gradually arching curved road, the effect is very geometric in a way, gradually going from veritical toward horizontal. Not sure if that was the idea for the picture, but I like how it turned out either way. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the month. Sure it's going to be a good one.
-Matt
Thanks Matt. The geometry wasn't premeditated but hope that I have an eye for shots that have a good composition. I certainly hope you enjoy the rest of the month and I'm very proud to share OSITM with you!

Quote from: rooker1 on February 02, 2012, 07:02:46 AM
Love the first update Noah. 
That river is perfect and that bridge is very interesting....is it diagonal?

Robin &apls
Reply number 3, so I think we're even for your last marathon reply session  :D As Arthur mentioned the one bridge is diagonal and my favorite of the DB options, along with the rail viaduct ones.

Quote from: art128 on February 02, 2012, 07:22:13 AM
Yes, Robin, that bridge is diagonal!

I really liked this update as well, Noah! The night shot is my favourite picture.
Thank you Arthur and thanks for your comment to Robin. Glad you love the night shot, they're often my favorites as well.

Quote from: Dantes on February 02, 2012, 08:23:51 AM
Image 20.2 is awesome  :o And the mosaic is: fantastic again  :thumbsup: I love your river too  :o
So glad you liked everything! Always a pleasure to have you around here!

Quote from: Terring7 on February 02, 2012, 09:10:17 AM
Cool pictures from a well deserved O.S.I.T.M. M.D. :thumbsup:
Keep it up &apls
Thank you Elias! Very nice to hear from you again  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Kergelen on February 02, 2012, 11:02:59 AM
Fanastic update, Noah! &apls &apls
The river with bridges are nice and the selection of buildings interesting.
I specially like the picture 20.2 whit the back of the Parisian buildings and the RHW at a higher level.

And congrats on the OSITM! :thumbsup:
Thank you so much! I hope my OSITM lives up to your expectations and the river and bridge were something I was very excited to make!

Quote from: Battlecat on February 02, 2012, 11:34:49 AM
Superb update!  I love the water in this one. 
Thanks again Gordon! I love the new water too--thanks RFR!

Quote from: Jmouse on February 02, 2012, 02:50:00 PM
You did start out with a bang, didn't you Noah! The tree-lined waterways look great - so natural and realistic. And it looks like you have an attractive rock mod, too. Which one is it?

I envy your ability to create an effective and attractive transport system. I have to agree with Matt - 20.05 is not only a beautiful night shot, the composition is stunning.

This is a great beginning to what I know will be a terrific month in OSITM. I wish February had at least 40 days.

-Joan

Thank you so much for the kind words on the river-bridge-tree area! It's been a long-term scheme where I've been waiting for the right water to make it happen. While I was waiting beautiful seasonal trees were released and here we are  ;)  The rock mod is Ennedi's gray HD one from the LEX and I highly recommend it (I think Matt just started using the same one).

I really hope I continue to entertain here and I have a good feeling about this month. I certainly look forward to hearing more from you  :)

Quote from: DerChrischi on February 03, 2012, 07:27:43 AM
"BOAH GEIL ey, Alter! Krass!"
This wuold say my Pupils!  :D

I love picture 20.3.

I am Faszinated!
Thank you very much!! Is google translate crazy or is there really a single German word for "running with scissors"? Either way I love it and it's always great to have you visit!

Dantes

Your new picture of the snow is very beautiful.  &apls The next pictures:  So many highways, I'm curious how the super highway is like up there later.  $%Grinno$%

RickD

Congrats on your second OSITM. Great pictures.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Jmouse

It looks like there's another impressive transport project underway. I'm glad you've showed us the work in progress. I'm ummm...transport challenged...but who knows, maybe watching you develop this will punch a little hole in the brick wall. :D

Good work as always, and I'd like to have a pet reindeer too...
-Joan

threestooges

I like the pictures, especially the reindeer. Neat to have such large bits of nature within reach like that. The only critique I have would be in regard to the "subway-tunnel" with regard to freight. As far as I'm aware from my experience in urban environments, outside of deliveries (which are sometimes mandated in early hours to negate effects on traffic) it seems like the tunnel bypass would be perfect for freight passing through to avoid it impacting the local above-ground network. That being said, a wise person once said of SC4 that it's important to play with the game and not against it, so I like the creative workaround/explanation for it.
-Matt

Battlecat

Very nice indeed!  I'm looking forward to seeing some work in progress pictures as well.  I really like how you've managed that highway as it come into the area and drops down gradually in elevation it looks quite realistic!

noahclem

Siilijoki XXI

6 February 2012

Preparing for the Season

The recent European cold snap has hit us pretty hard up here with temperatures varying from -25C to -40 for the last couple weeks. My strategy of simply refusing to go outside for more than a couple minutes at a time, formerly possible because I live and work in the same building, has failed after traveling to see my girlfriend and my car battery not handling the cold the next day  :'(   Wish me luck with that one  :D

Back in Siilijoki a batch of cold weather brings more pleasant news: the probability of the Tunturikyla Ski Resort opening soon! Snow is on the ground but not enough yet to open. With the colder temperatures they can begin making artificial snow.

An overview of one of the slopes

Sunset comes quickly this time of year

The lifts remain empty and stationary for now

Nightfall arrives

Snow at sunrise

The first skiers arrive for a "friends and family" pre-opening event. A taste of the fun soon to be shared by many and viewed by you!

My reindeer friend is back by popular demand  ;D

Quote from: Dantes on February 03, 2012, 01:42:12 PM
Your new picture of the snow is very beautiful.  &apls The next pictures:  So many highways, I'm curious how the super highway is like up there later.  $%Grinno$%
Thanks Dantes! Here's a bit more snow for you and you'll see how those highways end up eventually  :thumbsup:

Quote from: RickD on February 03, 2012, 04:46:37 PM
Congrats on your second OSITM. Great pictures.
Thanks for the congratulations and I'm glad you liked the pictures!

Quote from: Jmouse on February 03, 2012, 06:23:55 PM
It looks like there's another impressive transport project underway. I'm glad you've showed us the work in progress. I'm ummm...transport challenged...but who knows, maybe watching you develop this will punch a little hole in the brick wall. :D

Good work as always, and I'd like to have a pet reindeer too...
-Joan

Glad you liked the WIP shot--I wasn't sure how it would fit in with this MD but I'd like to include more stuff like that in the future. Sometime I'll have to do an Adara-style update walking the reader through the transport development of an area. And the reindeer were fun but the cat was glad when they left--they scare the little guy when they get too close to the front door  ::)

Quote from: threestooges on February 03, 2012, 07:01:12 PM
I like the pictures, especially the reindeer. Neat to have such large bits of nature within reach like that. The only critique I have would be in regard to the "subway-tunnel" with regard to freight. As far as I'm aware from my experience in urban environments, outside of deliveries (which are sometimes mandated in early hours to negate effects on traffic) it seems like the tunnel bypass would be perfect for freight passing through to avoid it impacting the local above-ground network. That being said, a wise person once said of SC4 that it's important to play with the game and not against it, so I like the creative workaround/explanation for it.
-Matt
Thanks Matt! There's not really industrial around there anyway so I guess freight passing through the area is a moot point. The main thing I was thinking with freight is that I don't care to have through traffic passing through the congested city center interchanges and tunnels. As far as local deliveries go it'd be great to have a Chicago-style system of multiple street levels with parking, deliveries, and sometimes through traffic running at lower levels. In any case there is another motorway running a kilometer or so to the south of here and the city center should have pretty good traffic options until it gets really big. And playing with the game instead of against does sound like a good bit of advice  ;)

Quote from: Battlecat on February 05, 2012, 07:48:56 AM
Very nice indeed!  I'm looking forward to seeing some work in progress pictures as well.  I really like how you've managed that highway as it come into the area and drops down gradually in elevation it looks quite realistic!
Thanks, glad you think it looks realistic Gordon! A little bit of progress has been made in that area since then and I'll be sure to post an update on it before the end of the month

Gugu3

Seems like I've missed your last "updates" :'(
Anyway great pictures...really liked the winter ones,even though my favourite remains Siilijoki "work in progress"...outstanding example of the fine work behind a very nice city &apls
keep it up! :thumbsup:

Terring7

Let me wish you good luck. This kind of weather can be really annoying, so armed with patience. Glad to see that your reindeer friend is back, he's really awesome ;D . Your pictures are very nice and peaceful, reminds me the ski resort in Kalavrita.
Keep it up :thumbsup:
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

nbvc

Great snow images, 21.5 is my favorite. :thumbsup:

Girafe

Really good job,

I am pleased to see finally someone uses my skilift. With time I am asking it was a nightmare to develop this and it has no utilty for the game  %wrd

But your pictures are superb  &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

Nice looking Skiing slopes there, Noah! :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog