• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTeaCat

Way to go my friend :thumbsup:
Hoisting my mug to you

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

threestooges

Quote from: LE0 on February 03, 2009, 08:57:30 AM
congrats on  the trixie award &apls

And what about the seasonal trees that change by themselfs development?
Check the 3RREX. He has uploaded two types: lots (which are quite well done, and have a transparent base), and ploppable flora pieces (which do not change with the seasons, but will change with a click of the mouse). I'm not sure if there is any research presently going into making rotating seasonal flora, but I'm not sure if it is possible at the present time. If there is, I'm sure we'll hear about it, but until then, those should get you going.

jpj_starfleet

David congrats on your Trixie.

JoeST

hey, look at that... page 333 :)
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

dedgren

Back to the bleeding edge...

This is the same little stretch of road across a "two-year" period of SC4 game-time.  The pics are not necessarily sequential in time.

Yep- these are seasonal ploppable trees.

That's the good news.  They are, as best I can tell, completely stable, predictable as to when they come and go, and do not appear, in reasonable quantities, to bog down or otherwise disrupt game play.

The not-so-good news is that they are complicated to use, at least at this early stage.  They work on a two-year cycle, which means that they are visible for four months and then invisible for the next 20.  Each season has to be plopped separately and according to particular time schedule.  They are invisible when you plop them, so you don't know exactly where they are until the next time they are visible in the game.

I don't expect that these things will be impossible to overcome, but it may take a while.

They work based on manipulation of the FloraProperties exemplar property.  I'll reserve the technical stuff for anyone who wants that info- post or PM and it's yours.

The alpha of these will show up in your Mayor Mode "flora" submenu most of the way down.

For right now, I've just done one of Brian's (c.p./cycledogg) great seasonal elm trees.  I've attached an alpha test file to this post so that you can play around with it.  The file is complete in and of itself- no dependencies.  Just put it somewhere in your My Documents SC4 Plugins folder where you can find it again, as I'm sure it will be replaced.

To use the trees, let the game calendar advance to sometime between the first and the tenth day of the month noted following, then plop the corresponding season.  You can click-plop to place one tree, or drag-plop to place multiple trees.  Remember that each plop takes up a little space on the gridsquare in which you place it, so if you plop too densely with trees from an earlier season, your later ones might not take root.  Since you cannot currently see them when you plop them, that can be an issue.

[tabular type=4]
[row][data]
Game Month
[/data][data]
Season to Plop
[/data][/row]
[row][data]
March
[/data][data]
Winter (WI)
[/data][/row]
[row][data]
June
[/data][data]
Spring (SP)
[/data][/row]
[row][data]
September
[/data][data]
Summer (SU)
[/data][/row]
[row][data]
December
[/data][data]
Fall (FA)
[/data][/row]
[/tabular]

Also remember that you have to plop over two years to get continuous tree coverage in the game.  I start with an even year (14, 16 and the like) then do an odd year (15, 17 and the like) so that if I screw something up, I can keep my place when I make a correction.

The alpha file is attached to the bottom of this post.  I'd be interested in seeing what folks do with these, and what you think about them.  Feel free to posts pics and comments here.  If anyone is a tinkerer (like me), feel free to try and improve them.  The holy grail here is something that you can see after you plop it, and preferably that allows one plop for all four seasons.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks, folks, for the congrats on the Trixie.  I really appreciate the incredible support the community has given to 3RR and to me, and hope that I can return that to you many times over in the months ahead.

I'll be getting back to the retexture shortly.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

FrankU

David,

You make the impossible possible!

What else can I say?

dedgren

Ohmigosh!

...how could I have forgotten to do this 'til now...

Stop what it is you're doing, please, and take just a minute to head on over to John's (Darmok) Anduin Valley Revisited [linkie] today to wish AVR a Happy Fourth Anniversary!

You wouldn't have any idea how much of what we have done here has been inspired by John's work there.  There's four years of gold at AVR- well worth a long and detailed read from end to end if you have the time.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

threestooges

Thank you for calling this to my attention David. Even better, there are new updates there. Also, nice work with the seasonal plop trees. If I get the chance I'd love to poke around the tree files (not sure what I'll find, but it's worth a look nonetheless).
-Matt

Andreas

David, I'll surely have a look at those ploppable seasonal trees, feel free to PM me with the technobabble (you might remember that I was asking for that a few months ago already ;) ). Well done!  :thumbsup:
Andreas

sithlrd98

I agree , bring on the technobabble! Who knows....someone may understand it if you present it like the PlopperizerTM tutorial! Oh, and why aren't you re-texturing something instead of huggin trees anyway?  :D

By the way , congrats on the Trixie...it was well deserved!

Jayson

deathtopumpkins

Ahh.... I tried out the trees in-game, and, other than being almost entirely impossible to plop correctly without taking 20 game years :P  :D , they seem to work perfectly over the 10 years I let the game run after getting them plopped relatively in the right places.

Great work David! I hope there is another way to do these where they either show up when you plop them or have all seasons in one plop, but still, these are excellent! One of the best SC4 innovations ever!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Darmok

David,
Let me add my voice to the chorus of praise for your well deserved Trixie. You really are a driving force for the SC4 community, and it's good to see that it has been recognized somewhat.
Furthermore, thank you to have chosen a picture that depict me pretty well (The Typing Monkey...) to invite people to come to AVR 4th birthday. It's been a long haul... but as I always say, as long as were having fun who gives a ... hummm... hehehe.... I'm still having fun and as FARR as I can see, so do you!
My friend thanks for your support and may 3RR continue to be the innovative beacon that it has become over the years.
-John
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

Kokopelli

I spent the past week getting ready for and trying an aggravated assaut case. Boy, I missed a lot. Keep up the good work. I love all the new rail stuff. Can hardly wait for the final versions.

Bob

Livin in Sim

Dude...8)...you won a Trixie! 

inspecter

Battlecat

Congratulations on the Trixie!  You certainly have earned it!   &apls

bat

Congrats on winning a Trixie! &apls

And wonderful work there on 3RR! :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Magnificent work on the ploppable trees, David! I'm sure any obstacles you've uncovered will be addressed, too--nothing seems impossible here in 3RR these days!

Take care!

Dustin

Pozzessed

Congratulations on the well-deserved Trixie. &apls

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I've finally bought myself a new wireless printer and was printing off the maps for the north-west quad that I've been quietly playing with, and noticed a slight foxes paw (faux pas). The city to the west of Little Cold should be Fox (just noticed the pun, unintentional) and south of Little Cold should be Prairie.

Now I'm off to hunt down those wonderful, ploppable trees .. thank you.
Please call me Roz.
Visit my BAT thread .. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11464.0
The Beginning of Knowledge, Is the Discovery of Something We Do Not Understand ...

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person.

BigSlark

Plopable seasonal trees...who'd of thunk it? Keep up the great work, David. You never cease to amazed.

I hope your family is well, from Wasilla to Montana to Texas.

Cheers,
Kevin