• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lollo

Oh, c'mon David. This is unbelievable stuff! Your discover of puzzle-piece-making was like opening Pandora's box. Keep up your amazing work. Thank you!

I've been a just-stare-and-let-things-go kind of lurker, lately, but I couldn't resist to post some positive feedback on your work. You really deserved it...

EDIT: Ahahahah, welcome to page 323!

Keep an eye on the Lair!

Toichus Maximus

This is absolutely excellent!

BarbyW

I have to thank David for his excellent Plopperizer tutorial and present my first Mayor Mode Ploppables:

Once I have the other SNM vehicles done I'll post them to the LEX.

EDITMs. Barby, this is just too great!  There is such a world of stuff out there to run through the PlopperizerTM- this is just a taste. -DE
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Dark_Jedi06

...this space to be filled soon...

Albus of Garaway

Wow, this is getting crazy! By this time next year, smooth-curved networks are going to totally be the standard. Regular grid roads, rail, etc. will be completely obsolete! And it's all because of you, David! Don't be too humble! ;) :)

Darmok

Would you have been borne in an earlier era, you'd be wearing a monk's robe and laboring endlessly over some piece of parchment at candlelight....
Thanks for your dedication my friend.
And as the old saying goes... Great work!

-John
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

Ryan B.

I almost don't recognize this game anymore.  Just . . . wow.

dedgren

It took exactly 30 seconds to put this together...

...and another five minutes to touch it up.  Why did I do this tonight?

Because I saw this...

...one too many times today.  So, the first piece of RAM, Phase II (or maybe the last piece of Phase I- I predict the NAM update system will be taken advantage of frequently this year).

I am working on the dirt road 2x2 curve, and will keep you posted.

Later.

David

219548 - on track (heh!) for 22,000 page views this month!
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

JoeST

Quote...one too many times today
Once? ;D

it looks OMG Nice :)

Joe

EDITJoe, the main thing is that it's OMG better than what the game serves up. -DE
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

wouanagaine

David, you know that in Game dev world, pixel artists are no more that common these days, and in case you want to retire from law, just drop an artbook from your stuff in different game compagny, you'll get a job easily :)

EDITLOL, Steph- welcome back to 3RR, my great friend: you are really too kind.  Considering your achievements, that's a pretty cool thing to hear.  Memo to game companies (plug your ears, Matt)- "starving Alaska lawyer and wannabe city builder genre pixel-basher available to work for fair compensation somewhere warm and sunny- mountain view a plus!"  I'll let everyone know when the offers start rolling in. -DE

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

threestooges

5:30 for a puzzle piece? That's impressive. The piece itself? Highly useful, and exceptionally done. Is the piece the full 6x2 image you've shown, or is this two of the same piece rotated on each other? Either way, this is something that is certainly worth having. Nicely done.
-Matt

EDITHee-hee- I guess I should be clear- the texture took just 30 seconds to build.  The puzzle piece coding itself will take the usual amount of time.  You nailed it with guess 2, Matt.  I simply set up a "snap-to" grid and plopped in the DR ortho to FARR switch, rotated the result 180 degrees, and plopped in the same switch on the other side in a new layer.  Since I designed these switches to be modular in the first place (something, unfortunately, I figured out I should do as I went along), the FARR "leg" trackage lined up perfectly after I erased the extra stuff on the layer.  Touching up the green outside edge strip took the remaining five minutes.  I'll put this in the "to-do" bin along with those FARR STR pieces I started on a bit ago. -DE

Rayden

With all this gentle curves and similars you are doing, what's gonna happen to our beloved grid type cities? :'( ??? :thumbsup:

FrankU

Yes David, I was just missing that piece as I was rearranging my large railwaystation track yesterday...
You really do read my mind.

Most pictures of the FARR shown here are in rural areas. I have something completely different. I had a railroad crossing that was not too realistic.

I could not move the raised railway and also there was a non movable highway (or I had to rearrange my entire city), so I had to place all curves and tracks between them: no FARR under rail or under highway available yet....
So I ended up with this. Sorry, the view was turned 90 degrees. As reference the avenue, the rail and the highway are kept in place. I forgot to make a good picture before I started rearranging. The small picture is the only I have...

This took me half of yesterday morning....

beutelschlurf

moin,

thanks david, that's the one i'm looking for ...... :thumbsup:
maybe a cross some day as well.

b_schlurf

Haljackey

Quote from: FrankU on January 21, 2009, 01:27:33 AM

This took me half of yesterday morning....

Now, That's a railroad.  I can tell it took hours to make.  Nice job, it looks so realistic!  :thumbsup:

Best,
-Haljackey

EDITOur friend Frank (FrankU) has obviously spent some time inside my head.  When I first envisioned wide radius curves and switches for rail, that was what I saw. -DE

dedgren

As you all know, I have been working on the most recent addition to the Rural Roads NAM plugin- a 2x2 dirt road corner.  That's now "have been" as in "was"...

That's the game curve at the top-right, the just completed 2x2 curve in the middle, and the 4x4 curve we looked at the other day at the bottom.

Nice set, eh?  Let's look at it in the game.

"Country Corner"

Is it really true that the SAM dirt road set doesn't come with any railroad crossings?

...that'll be fixed shortly...

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

CaptCity

Quote from: dedgren on January 22, 2009, 12:03:55 AM
Is it really true that the SAM dirt road set doesn't come with any railroad crossings?

...that'll be fixed shortly...

Later.

David

David,

At the risk of repeating myself - great things keep happening here. Also, I think there was a 'fix' attached to a post in the SAM thread for the railroad crossing issue. I'll have to go check to see where and who posted it.

Edit: I think this is it http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1617.940. Diggis posted it.

Edit again: You know I've been staring (longingly) at these dirt road pictures and realized something was missing (I know - shame on me). But what country dirt road would be complete without ditches. Would that be even possible or would that be opening a can of worms that doesn't need opened. Just thought I'd ask...

Again, great work
CaptCity

EDITCC, thank you so much for the link.  That ought to show you how wrapped up in 3RR and associated developments I have been for over two years now.  I would do well some days just to be able to spell SAM.  As for ditches, I agree.  I have been able to duplicate engineered drainage along railroad and road grades with some success by doing the rail and roadbeds on a small "berm."  Minor and country roads would be a challenge, as the ditch should be right up alongside the road surface in the adjacent gridsquare.  I'm going to talk with buddybud and other folks who have done amazing things with overhanging props- I have a few ideas along that line. -DE

metasmurf

David, I love these pictures, as much as I hate the grid  :D I've pm:ed you with a request regarding the rural roads, but I guess you've forgotten about it. Anyway, what I would like is the possibility to have the far "curve" and the 45 degree curve without the whole drawn line and instead the road marking line which are on the straight/diagonal/straight far pieces (I don't know the proper english terms which makes it a bit hard to describe). Would this be possible ? :)

EDITI did misplace that, my blue pointy-hatted friend.  Look for those textures tomorrow, after I get home from work.  Sorry! -DE

Pat

David I am speachless here!!!  &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

io_bg

I'm speechless too! I've always wanted dirt street curves! &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November