• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frdrcklim

using existing technologies to make something new. just amazing  &apls.

EDITFrederick (I've presumed that one from the nic, apologies if I'm wrong), it's also pretty amazing that you are our newest Double-0 Club member.  We're going to have to rent a cyber-hall if we ever have a meeting. -DE
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Lmac

hi david,
i tried again this afternoon to replicate the disappearing train using the FARR smooth curves. i built a track circuit using only the FARR pieces i had used the last time, on completely flat, new-region-virginal terrain, and generated my freight trains the same way i did last time, using the SFBT Logistics Centre, however i couldn't recreate the effect. i wish i had taken some screenies of the phenomenon when it occurred, or at least saved the city tile i built the first track in, cuz i can't remember whether or not i developed it further with roads/other networks. if i did actually develop the tile further, and if swamper is correct (and im very much inclined to think he is), this would definitely explain it.

sorry i can't be more specific/helpful lol... i guess i'll be a lot more vigilant with taking screenshots and actually saving my game in future  :P

EDIT: just missed out. lol :P
-Lach

Albus of Garaway

David,

That specific picture was taken on an orthogonal section of track with a slightly steep grade, but the train got distorted before the picture was taken, at a 45 degree right turn on a totally flat surface (At least I'm pretty sure it was a 45 degree), and the train stayed that way through all sorts of turns and twists. Could the train mod be a problem? I just can't put my finger on what mod it is...hmph. I tried to look for it but I couldn't find it. I know it's fairly common, so I'm sure someone can spot it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, passenger trains worked fine on the track.

Thanks for so much help, David! :) Did you see Lmac's post by any chance? He's having a similar problem.

sithlrd98

David , the SAM curve is SWEET!  &apls You just don't know how much your additions have made so many sooo happy in "killing the grid"! I still have no idea how your making the curves , I'm just way over my head with the ideas I would like to see in game, but of course , you've probably got some of the same ideas and the know-how to get em done! Guess I'll have to wait.

Jayson

dedgren

An absolutely gorgeous sunset this evening.

That's just lightly touched in PSP, and only to bring out the detail in the tree trunks.

I've been around all day, but not really productive on anything in particular.  Tonight, though, I have plans.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Heblem

I do like what you have been doing expecially to the SAM*... also I liked the new rails set you worked, thank you! Im sorry for not been here often than usual, a late happy 2009  :thumbsup:

Talking about sunsets, there's a picture I took by the night of December 25 at the beach... (I took it by the cellphone  &ops)

Beautiful, eh  ;D
Take care
Eblem

Ryan B.

I may as well make it a hat trick of sunsets:

Please click on the image to view the larger version.

This looks west out the window of the library where I work.  The picture was taken around 4:30 PM EST.  This picture overlooks the Johnson's Creek lake.  On the other side, to the right of the trees, is the high school I graduated from.

thundercrack83

What a sunset, David!

One of these days, I have to make to the Land of the Midnight Sun!

Dustin

smoncrie

I see that David has starting working on SAM FAR puzzle pieces.  I thought that people might be interested in my work because I have invented a new way to make puzzle piece models. 

The key to these new puzzle piece models is that they repeat a single texture all around the curve.  Since they use only one texture (X5 for zoom levels) per set of puzzle pieces, they will make it much easier to create similar curved puzzle pieces for the SAM, and for many other networks. Alex(Tarkus) is already using my initial models in the RHW.

The visual quality of the new models is very good, and I have added simple wealth textures to several of them.

I did not actually create new puzzle pieces to make the picture.  To save time, I modified existing puzzle pieces to use my new models, and re-ran Simcity for each different texture.  The last picture shows how the textures are mapped around the curve.

[Edit]I seem to have made the picture a bit fuzzy when I scaled it to fit the page. Sorry about that. The small lines in the last picture are not there when you see it directly.

girlfromverona

Wow, smoncrie - good work! If I'm not mistaken, that will save a lot of time and effort!  :thumbsup:

deathtopumpkins

Whoa, way to go smoncrie!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Pat

David after a long day today err sunday see my post in in the beastro bar  ;)  That sunset is most welcoming!!! Thank you!!!!

@ smoncrie those are looking wonderful wow!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

Before I get to smoncrie's amazing post...

Tonight I fell in love all over again!

I didn't mean to do anything other than answer a question I had about the new RHW release.  Then I wound up building a bridge, and then another...

The ability to build Rural freeways is now about that close to reality.

I'm going to talk with Alex (Tarkus) about a few ideas this gives me.  Sorry I got sidetracked.

As for our friend smoncrie- well, I'm going to talk with him, too.  I think I know what is up with what he's describing, and he's certainly right about the potential.

Got to head for bed.  G'night.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

GMT

Quote from: Haljackey on January 14, 2009, 07:44:13 PM
I got started with this one:

(You can download this on the Wii now!)

Still, 20 years is quite a feat.  Its amazing to believe how SC4 is still the best city simulator out there, 6 years and counting.

Best,
-Haljackey

same here

'tis the one that hooked me to it

and as for the best game part, easy to explain:
there's no real competition to sim city. on the one hand because the genre itself isn't es exploited as other genres (e.g. racing, shooters, RTS, RPGs, you name it) and on the other hand because, albeit all it's flaws, SC4 is still the best of all. ok, city life was a serious competition, and with cities xl, there's a chance of SC4 getting kicked of the throne imho (not to mention that the recent sim city installments were a joke, to be kind)

thanks to an awesome community, we were able to flatten a lot of flaws in SC4 and kinda design it the way we want it to be (realism and diversity are the words) and I guess this trend will continue unless the close-to-perfection city simulation will be released.

EDITTorben, that's a year and ten months since your last post here [linkie].  I think that's the all time record between two posts by a 3RR Regular- we'll have to catch you up on most of 2007 and all of 2008.  My friend, it's great to see you, please don't wait so long next time. -DE

... really, it is. I swear.

Olasz

I keep returning and you keep me amazed

Olasz

Scarton

Neat intersection. Your work is stunning! :o

dedgren

Well, we got that texture match figured out...

...ImageShack seems to be acting up today- I'm trying Photobucket [linkie].  Let me know if you think things are any different...

I'm finishing up a 4x4 90 degree curve and maybe a 2x2, then I'll post a beta v1.1 of the Rural Roads NAM plugin.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

sithlrd98

I am truly amazed at the speed of progress that this latest "grid killer"attempt is moving! Bravo &apls &apls &apls

Jayson

projectadam

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I think I have been down that road before in RL. Keep up the amazing progress :thumbsup:
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

deathtopumpkins

Stick with photobucket David :P Much more useful, tons of cool stuff, and no pop-ups.

Loving those SAM puzzle-pieces, and I feel the same way about the new RHW.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores