• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

David ~~~~~~~~~WOW~~~~~~~ what more can I say anymore here!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Not only does it give one a good idea of what it takes to convert, but gives a new respect for the map program itself. It looks like you're doing a great job though, and it shouldn't be long until they start updating their maps.
-Matt

emilin

I love your maps, David. They are so very natural looking. &apls

I think I pointed this out before, but I don't remember, so here I go again: where are the major water ways in and out of the big lake that 3RR is placed beside? The presence of a reasonbly big industrial port ("Emil's yards" ;D ) would need some water access to Lake Superior, wouldn't it?

You have already reworked the road network of Minnesota, why not fake som canals too?  ;D 

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

warszawa

Keep up the stunning work on your curvy roads David. :thumbsup:

Alex :)
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

jacqulina

excellent maps my friend &apls

BigSlark

David,

The maps are looking excellent! I, too, waste incredibly amounts of time in Google Maps.

I don't know if you've heard of gmapuploader.com, but it allows you to create a custom Google map by simply uploading the image of your choice.

If you don't mind me linking, here's one that I uploaded of a large 3RR town and places map some time ago. Please feel free to remove the link if you would rather this not be shared.

Hope all your medical tests are going well.

Cheers,
Kevin

bat

Very nice posts there! And looking forward to some more new stuff of your superb work!

btw, my 5100th post...

yochananmichael

cool I love your google maps for 3RR  :thumbsup:
Greywolf (John Michael)
If you can't run with the pack don't run at all

dedgren

I took a break from mapping...

This one's for our great friend Bernhard (Nardo69).

Didn't I say I wasn't going to do these for a while?  Oh, well- I guess I got into a groove.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

Now that could be useful.   ;)  :thumbsup:  Nice work.

threestooges

Curious. I forget exactly what Bernhard was asking for, though I remember a switch was involved, but given the current developments... I really hope this does not start a speculation-fest but... will this be functional? Either way, it looks good whether or not you intended to work on more of them.
-Matt

thundercrack83

Mapping...texturing...raising the bar...just another day in 3RR!

Hope all is well with you, David! I'll be looking forward to seeing how you'll dazzle us next, my friend!

Dustin

bwatterud

:o x100

If this is what I think it is...or even if it's just eyecandy.... :shocked2:

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

dedgren

I live in a valley surrounded by beautiful mountains...

Today they were particularly so.

Happy belated birthday Emil (emilin).  My dear friend, I was going to send you a birthday PM yesterday and fell asleep instead- I'm so sorry.

...well I certainly would intend that they'd be functional...

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

allan_kuan1992

well... as long as you put sidings along the route, a single-track freight line is not impossible from a UDI perspective, and definitely not impossible from a simulator perspective.

- Allan Kuan

Ennedi

I didn't comment a few interesting thigs here - sorry!

1. Great explanation of the FAR angle/lot size problem. Of course, if a diagonal FAR stretch (45o) could be placed on the - let's say - 4x4 lot (in fact the lot should be 4x5 to have both road ends on the side, not in the lot vertex, to enable connecting it with the next piece), the first thought is to use 4x2 to build 22,5o  ;D But it's not true because tangent isn't a linear function. Let's lot sides are y and x. y/x = tangent of the road piece angle. On 4x4 lot, y/x = 1 = tangent 45o. For 2x4 lot (in fact it should be 3x4), y/x = 1/2 = tangent 26o34' (26,57o). For 3x1 gridsquares (you had to use 3x2 lot) we have y/x = 1/3 = 0,333... = tangent 18o24' = 18,4o, exactly as you calculated using this nice program (very useful! :thumbsup:)
I checked other possibilities too and now I'm sure that using 3x2 lot for the straight FAR piece is the best compromise between good looking angle and the lot size.
Second, I understood that the radius you use in the "short curve" is the maximal one for the 4x2 lot. If you would want to make the radius bigger, you should make 5x2 lot to leave the straight part without changes (it needs 3x2 tiles). Or you should have to change the straight part.

2. Great work with the Google map! I can honestly say you are a pioneer! Some time ago cartographers from communist countries made an opposite thing - they had to remove some parts of their countries maps to hide some important military installations (and of course to make these changes invisible for an average map user  :D). But it was before the satellites and Google maps era  ;)

3. This little gift for Nardo is exactly the same I was thinking about during last few days!!! Ingame rail crossovers were always very annoying for me (although I understand the reason they were done this way - to save as much space as possible). It's a step ahead in making realistic railway stations!  &apls

4. And I'm very grateful you have done something with short 90o curves... ()flower()

Adam

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

rooker1

Those are very beautiful mountains.  I can see some nice climbing up there.

The rail lines look very nice.  I bet you have just made Bernhard's day.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Shadow Assassin

Wow, just what I wanted, a switch texture that looked realistic.

Am I right in guessing that we'll see a single-track mod in the near future?

EDIT: Looks like "Double-0" Club, Second Award, Daniel.  Time will tell as to the other. -DE
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

pvarcoe

mmm mmm mmm.
I have been dreaming of a single rail track for a long time.

But, if it's just eye candy, that's cool too!