• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debutterfly

Are those waves?  ::) Lovely David. I have a question. Is there a difference between the lots of water (sorry for the pun  ;) ) on the 3RREX and the free flowing water that you have shown us with elevation change? Just wondering. BTW You must have a lot of skill or a lot of time on your hands or should I say both  ::) to create these regions and ploppables.

-Larry (debutterfly)

EDITHey Larry- hi!  The sparkly thingies are a game effect called "sparkles of purification - small."  As I noted, they have to be seen in the game to do them justice- a poor old three frame animated GIF just can't really catch the nice effect.  The TPW panes on the 3RREX are just the flat version.  The slope version is in the queue to upload, along with some associated stuff, sometime tomorrow.  I have to do the icons and the detail MODding, and I'm currently finishing up a deadline-based project.  Thanks for your interest in PW, and for your posts at 3RR. -DE

jacqulina

Nexis4Jersey

OMG this just what i need for region, excellent job David  :thumbsup:

~Corey

dedgren

Alaska's state bird is out today in force.

Between smacking myself half-silly, I've finished up something I've wanted to do for a while.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Alfred.Jones

Looking very nice David :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

ldvger

David-

Great work as always, great tutorial as always.  I know I am going to use this new PW a lot, along with the sloped PW, whenever it comes along for sharing.

But, as one of your admin team, and one that was "hired on" specifically to organize the many tutorials you have written into a "textbook" of some sort, I can't help but think that you have actually got 2 tutorials here over the past 10 pages or so, rolled into one.  You have just posted Part 5, so let me recap, if I may, what came in Parts 1-4.

The title of this current tutorial is "Fine Terraforming" and it's purpose, I assume, is to show folks how you achieve such realistic water effects in your region.  Parts 1-3 do this excellently, with lots of explanations and pictures.  At the end of part 3, we break off with the idea that Part 4 will address the actual plopping of the PW tiles, the installation of a culvert, and maybe the planting of rocks and flora along the streambed created in parts 1-3. 

But new developments with PW happened and so Part 4 divurges into how to use the new PW tools...and Part 5 continues in this mode. 

Don't get me wrong, please...they are excellent tutorials, I just think they need to be two different tutorials.  And, for those of us still trying to catch up to your rapidly moving brain, it would be nice to see the end of the beginning of the streambed that began this series of tutorials with.  Because I am assuming that, being you, you are still working on the sloped PW tiles and will be posting another Tutorial for that in the not too distant future, which, according to THIS person, should be under a seperate tutorial of it's own.

I get sidetracked all the time, so I know how easy it is. 

Just a suggestion.

And...I would really like to be able to start pulling your old tutorials out (copying them, not cutting them) from both the ST archives and this MD to a space of thier own.  I don't know if my admin privledges allow me to create a new heading under the 3RR Project or not and even if they do, I wouldn't know how to create it.  But if you could spare a little time to create for me a new heading called "3RR Tutorials", I would appreciate it.  I will find a way to figure out how to cut and paste the tutorials into this new heading...

In an aside, the primary reason I volunteered for this work was because...this way I get to learn and read and absorb every single tutorial David has written from day one. 

Lora/LD

TheTeaCat

Been playing with your new plop water set :thumbsup:
thought you'd like to see

So easy to use too :thumbsup: 
very nice work indeed- thanks for sharing the beta with us

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Rayden

LOL Derry, I was also playing with water, actually, on your Tile G ;)

JBSimio

Quote from: dedgren on May 02, 2009, 10:15:38 PM
Alaska's state bird is out today in force.

That's yet another thing I don't miss about Michigan at all!  There don't seem to be any mosquitoes here in northern California so far (still adjusting to my new home)... although I do tend to get a few spider bites in my sleep!  ::)

I'm sure it goes without saying that I'm excited to see some new pieces in the works for FARR, David.  I've been playing with the FAR/R sets quite a bit during the last few weeks and feel like I'm starting to get the hang of things so far.  In the process of updating my rural areas, I'm also be keeping a list of "missing" links as I come across gaps or simply "hey, wouldn't it be nice if..." areas.  Then I'll have to evaluate said list to determine whether my ideas would be universal enough to warrant a request.  :D  I'll try not to get too overly carried away, though!

Until next time...
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

bat

Nice work there on the tutorial there, David! Also nice work on the other stuff! :thumbsup: ;)
Also great lakes there, TTC and Rayden! :thumbsup:

Orange_o_

David, TTC, Rayden your ponds are really magnificent   &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

io_bg

Everything is looking great! &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

abcvs

Please excuse my tardiness [again]... but I come bearing gifts...

Pegasus has been working on a new flora set which will be a great addition to the terrain detailing toolbox.

Before

After - note the matching Tahoe rock mod and boulders.

Has anyone come up with a nice STR tunnel portal yet?  I got raspberries for building an el cheepo wooden trestle STR bridge and then an expensive dual track tunnel..   XP.

Also...  this is the "PPond" ploppable water currently being developed.  It is both a 1x1 tile and flora ploppable, similar to the original Edmonton.   

The game water river runs right across the middle of this pool.

Here.  Notice the texture difference of the lower half...  it is the Brigatine water mod.

Water pipe view shows the underlying terrain.

This shows the transition from the PPond ploppable water to the game water river.

Before detailing...

After...

Let's just say I have been trying out quite a few different ploppaple water options lately...   ::)

This hydro dam has just been released on the PLEX.  (Should be on the STEX too.. haven't looked yet.)

BTW...   do I get a triple O prize or something?

threestooges

Nice to see some variations on some of the existing plop flora. The more the better. It blends in with Chris's stuff quite well and it looks great on its own (saw the stuff at Peg's site that David linked to as well). I have an STR tunnel in the works, but it might not see much work until the 12th due to finals. Don't worry, raspberries will hopefully soon be a thing of the past (or to use on those who don't have the new tunnel yet, not to say that you would do something like that of course, heh heh). Excellent blending of the PW and the Brigantine water mod, and the flood control dams are pretty neat too. I ought to take a look at the developments around there more often. Thanks for sharing.
-Matt

abcvs

Quote from: threestooges on May 03, 2009, 11:48:40 PM
Nice to see some variations on some of the existing plop flora. The more the better. It blends in with Chris's stuff quite well and it looks great on its own (saw the stuff at Peg's site that David linked to as well). I have an STR tunnel in the works, but it might not see much work until the 12th due to finals. Don't worry, raspberries will hopefully soon be a thing of the past (or to use on those who don't have the new tunnel yet, not to say that you would do something like that of course, heh heh). Excellent blending of the PW and the Brigantine water mod, and the flood control dams are pretty neat too. I ought to take a look at the developments around there more often. Thanks for sharing.
-Matt

Well any new flora is always welcome.   Especially big rocks...  apparently there is a paucity of those... but that is another story and we must not tell tales from other sites...  eh David....   ;)

I also use the RRP flora and the very nice surprise was how well Pegasus' new ploppable rock flora blended in and around the calm lime stone...  that was the pic with the big pink rock outcrop.

I think I agree with a comment David made the other day that the best results will come from those that are willing to blend, mix and match a variety of stuff to produce their own unique look.

As for the STR tunnel portal...  I suspect that the problem is not making one, but having to decide on whether to use the STR portal or the DTR...  unless someone comes up with something exceedingly clever... which of course is highly likely...  I am assuming we will have to choose either or.

Oh and btw... I had a slight accident in my tile...  I was using the rain tool and over did it...  and it somehow managed to demolish every single land bridge (about 10 in total) and almost every nam rail switch...  it took quite a while to fix.   I have noticed that the rain tool can demolish unexpected things near by.. but never a whole tile of bridges...  I shruged my shoulders and went back and fixed them.

EDITHeh, Craig!  I've done Noah bit, too.  Thought water was going to start coming out of the bottom of my monitor before it finally stopped. -DE

mightygoose

when were quads handed out guys, did i miss some important PM???

EDITNope, John- you're fine.  But continue to keep your eyes open... -DE
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

BarbyW

I had to have a play with the TPW as well. Not as good as Rayden's or TTC's but not bad for an hour's work by a beginner. ;D

The splodgy thing on the left is a JRJ spring. I should have done an animation :(
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

sithlrd98

OK , I'm lost as to where the TPW is on the 3RREX.....

Jayson

EDITThere's actually a method to my madness, Jayson.  Here's the [linkie].  Oh, and I've had one user indicate that there was a problem bulldozing the 9x12 pane after it was placed.  If anyone else experiences this, please let me know immediately. -DE

dedgren

Our great friend Jon (JBSimio) posted:

[tabular type=4][row][data]In the process of updating my rural areas, I'm also be keeping a list of "missing" links as I come across gaps or simply "hey, wouldn't it be nice if..." areas.  Then I'll have to evaluate said list to determine whether my ideas would be universal enough to warrant a request.   :D[/data][/row][/tabular]

List away, my friend- that's part of being a 3RR Regular*.  btw, might these be among those current "missing links"?

I'm dealing with a sudden influx of clients, all of whom need work done yesterday.  Back on track by midweek, though, for sure.

Later.

David

*  A 3RR Regular is, so goes the tune, anyone who has ever posted here or over at 3RR-ST at least once.

298590 - 300K sometime on Wednesday- thanks for making that happen!
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

wes.janson

Quote from: sithlrd98 on May 04, 2009, 09:37:34 AM
OK , I'm lost as to where the TPW is on the 3RREX.....

Jayson

It's not the the 3RREX yet as far as I know. Check the last few Fine Terraforming tutorials David put out. The link to the beta is in one of them.

I have a slight issue with the 9x12 lot. For some reason I can't quite get it to go away. I will bulldoze it and it will remain.. until I rotate the view and then it disappears, but then it reappears whenever I open any of the Menus or go into undergroud mode

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!