• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop Hawke

UH Oh!

Ticket sales at the front just went up.. 100 of thousands of people all flying to someplace called "Three Rivers". For a event I heard called the "Red-neck Olympics". One of the highlighted events of the games will be Caddy toss. Much like the olympic sport of shotput. Caddy toss is won by 3 factors. Disatnce, Depth, and year of Caddy.

pvarcoe

The poles are looking real good David.
I am wondering if they should be spaced a little further apart?

EDITPhil, I am looking for info on the web as to spacing, and it pretty much looks like, "depends on the terrain and soil type," but 150 feet/48 meters seems to be the most frequently mentioned flat ground spacing  Here's a RL measurement from my maternal grandparents' old farm in southern Indiana.

Now, those poles date from the '70s, if I recollect correctly.  They are primarily local area power poles (3 wire, one at each end of the cross-bar and one on the top of the pole), with a single cable phone wire attached lower down the pole.  About 60 feet tall, they replaced the shorter multi-crossbar poles carrying power and many phone wire pairs I remember as a kid (I remember hundreds of birds perched on the wires at times).  So these are about   200 feet/64 meters apart- my guess is that the smaller poles would have been closer together.  So, in sum, you are probably right, as the ploppable poles in my pics are spaced 100 feet/32 meters (two grid squares) apart.  I'll try longer spacing after a while- thanks! -DE

Heblem

Its interesting seeing the lightpoles, I did something similar to my project if youre interested  ;)

EDITEblem, my friend, those are most excellent!  Now, tell us about the details- are they LOTs or plops- what about the wires?  Can they go up and down hills?  Are they limited to the ortho axes?  Great stuff like that- the more, the merrier! -DE

ejc

whow

that almost look like... uhmm.. Simcity 6?! Damn, it looks good  :satisfied:

JoeST

David:

(re: Heblems Power Poles), I believe they are props on his mega lots.

LOL @ those cars tho :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

bat

Nice looking pictures there, David!

And your picture looks also really nice, Heblem!! Nice power poles... ;)

And congrats on more than 111111 views, David!

sebes

9+ pages of catching up just behind me... and now I need a break again, so moving back into lurk position  :P
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

dedgren

The ploppable telephone pole project grows apace.

Now...

...compare poles 1 and 2...

...how cool is that?

My great friend Matt (threestooges) has just done an amazing job.  I see ploppable road signs and other "street furniture" like billboards being a logical next step.

More...

And, yes, these are also available in non-ortho variants, too.

So, enjoy what's left of the weekend- there's great things coming up, as it were, right around the corner.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

threestooges

I'm curious to see how the 'special' angles look when you get to them (you know which ones) and, seeing these in game, let me know if you want them a bit taller. Right now they are 14m in the BAT, but there is a thing about the angle of the game's camera that causes a small squashing effect that I forgot to take into account. I can stretch them a bit if you would like. Also, if you need a few billboards that aren't in the public selection, let me know. I have a busy week at work coming up here, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the next new developments.
-Matt

girlfromverona

TheTeaCat

Wonderful job with the poles  &apls &apls

Cool looking caddy's here too :)

3RR is looking better and better everyday and still not a building in sight  :D

:satisfied:
TTC

EDITHeh, Derry- "not a building in sight."  That's "3RR - The Next Generation."  If the collaborators (extraordinarily patient so far) don't kill me first, that is. -DE
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Bishop Hawke

Great work David.
The telephone poles are just one more touch towards realism in 3RR.

I do have a question for you though and i do apologise for it being a bit off topic.

Why is the sig stamp with alaska and the number change? I see it with numbers from 1 to as high as 98 sometimes.

Just thought I would ask out of curiosity.

EDIT: Curiosity will get you answers around here, my friend.  My avatar is in fact the Alaska state highway marker

and I use an animated .gif to rotate the numbers through the various highway numbers that have been assigned.  I'll do a post on them one of these days.

Heh, I set the .gif up to rotate just slow enough so that just when you get used to what's up there- it's gone!
-DE

deathtopumpkins

More excellent pole usage, David. That was a great idea, Matt, to make them at different angles so they could smoothly switch sides of a road.

One question about them though: Are they on lots, or done with the tree tool like the "ploppable" windmills.

Bishop Hawke: That's the alaska state route herald with a BSC and NHP logo added. Why do the numbers change though?

EDITdtp- see Bishop Hawke's post for the answer to that last.  As for how they work, they are truly ploppable.  A post with techniques explained is coming your way shortly.  I'll be sending the pole set back over to Matt (threestooges) and ITC so that they can release them generally. -DE
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

ben_meissner

Great work Matt and David! These poles will revolutionize rural realism.

QuoteI see ploppable road signs and other "street furniture" like billboards being a logical next step.

This sounds like a fantastic idea, but we have become accustom to seeing those in this project, keep 'em coming.

Ben

Ryan B.

Ploppable road signs would be killer!

dedgren

I guess they would...

More about this...

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

deathtopumpkins

Oh why must you torture us so?  :'(

Those
would
be
AWESOME!

Waiting for that explanation post.

NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

thundercrack83

Lots of action around here, David! Lots of action! That's what I like to see.

The telephone poles look just wonderful--great work to you and to Matt on that.

Keep it up, and I'll be looking on to see what you've got next!

Dustin

Ryan B.

Folks, excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

Now THAT's what I call realism!

meldolion

WOW!!! Those are great updates!!!!

thank you for the magnificent pictures :)