• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

That is looking very nice there, David! Great work on it!!! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to more...

debutterfly

Completely AMAZING David  :thumbsup: ...Way to give it to the grid.  :D Now we need some FAR to FAR intersections.  ::)

threestooges

While I'm not quite sure of all the details, I hope things are beginning to straighten out again at ST. I've been poking through my old files, but I haven't found anything for that development reconstruction thread. On a lighter note though, the FARR crossings look good on their lots. Would it be possible to show the grid on a few pics (yes, I know, show the... grid)? I remember from Anduin Valley that intersections must be level, and I am wondering how the same will apply for these pieces. It's certainly something I'll test when these things are at that stage, but I was curious to see from your early work. Hope things are well for you and your family, and that the trial schedule is beginning to relax.
-Matt

dedgren

Well, it looks like overnight the good folks at ST found a set of backups.  At least the first few pages of 3RR-ST [linkie] appear to be restored.

To celebrate that, along with what I presume will be the restoration of great CJs including jeronij's Simtropia [linkie], Darmok's Anduin Valley Revisited [linkie] and TheJerseyDevil73's EDMONTON [linkie], here's 3RR-ST's first actual update from day one, March 12, 2006, printed in full.  I'll warn you in advance that there are all the mistakes a "green" CJ/MDer makes: I didn't turn off the control panel or the U-Drive-It (ugggh!) balloons, I didn't erase the "paused" bounding box, and so on.  My scale sense is abysmal (look how close the roads and freeways are- look at the size of the farms!).

But from such humble beginnings...

Author Icon
dedgren
Patriot
Trixie Winner 2007

I can't count the number of times over the past few years I've read a CJ that more or less started with the words

I've been playing Sim City since...

Well, now I'm finally going to say them, too.

Hi, folks, I'm D. Edgren (a thinly disguised attempt to hide my real name).  I'm a lawyer, an urban planner (MURP from Virginia Commonwealth University, 1988) and...

...wait for it...

...I've been playing Sim City since 1989...

First on a Mac SE30, then through 2000, 3000 and now 4 on PCs.  There isn't a better spare-time use of a computer.

Rush Hour, though, was what I thought I'd been waiting for all along.  The improvements that RH introduced made cities come alive, and allowed some remarkably sophisticated "tinkering" to be done from an urban design standpoint.

Over the years, I don't know how many cities I created and then abandoned.  As good as it is, though, even with RH, SC4's play value, like every other computer game the release of which represents a static moment in time, diminishes over time (Remember the original Myst? It seemed so fascinating at the time- now it just seems boring).

Then Simtropolis came along and provided the STEX, which as far as I'm concerned is a place where the gods truly do reside.  In a little bit, you'll see the plugins folder I use.  It represents just a fraction of the stuff I've downloaded over the past few years.  I won't name names- you know who you are- if you take the view that uploading a BAT, lot or modd is like publishing an original creation, well- your collected works reside on my computer.

The STEX and those who post stuff there for the community reinvent the game literally every day.  Some of the things that have been added are nothing short of amazing.  The NAM, for instance.  If you have been using it for any time at all, try going back to living without it.

The following are a few images from Pineshore, one of the cities in the region, that each would be impossible (and bo...ring) without downloads from the STEX.

Amazing stuff, all that.  An SC4 session is now so open-ended, so limitless, that you can just get lost in it.

Anyway, my thanks to ST, Dirk and the admins for creating an amazing place on the web for this amazing game- and to the BATters, lotters (?) and modders without whose selfless efforts ST would be a ghost town.

Anyway, enough of that.  On to Three Rivers Region!

EDIT: (8/16/06) Moved pics to ImageShack.

signature
D. Edgren

Thanks, ST, for fixing things.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

yochananmichael

OMG OMG OMG I love those FAR-FARR pieces. I want them so bad, but I must be patient. David you have done some truly amazing things of late and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. As to your early work don't worry about it I only hope to endeavor to be half as good as your early work. keep it up
Greywolf (John Michael)
If you can't run with the pack don't run at all

thundercrack83

What a flashback! And judging by that shot of the bridge with the rocks and water flora alone in the first update, we should have known that you were on to something here, David!

Glad to see that salvage process of 3RR-ST is doing well!

Dustin

bat

Yes, that very first update there is nice!

And looking forward to more new stuff...

btw, congrats on 190 pages!

girlfromverona

You've come a long way, David! But even your beginnings weren't that humble!  :P

Ryan B.

Wow-ee.  Talk about a blast from the past!  I feel like I just took a ride in this:

Now, did I happen to see this on my dashboard:

I think so!   ;)  :D

Pat

WoW talk about a real treat!! Thanks David for the treat here today!!84788

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

Headed for dinner.  Been working while the chicken cooked on a little gift for a few special folks...

You know who you are.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

mightygoose

yeee haw..... 84857 and i think im in love....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

thundercrack83

Hey, hey! More curves! Looking good there, my friend! If that chicken you were making turned out half as nice as those curves look, I'm coming to your place for dinner!

Take care!

Dustin

Tarkus

Very nice, David.  And very easy to mod, too, I might add. :D

CellLayout = .......
CellLayout = .abc..<
CellLayout = ..de...
CellLayout = ...f...
CellLayout = ..^....

CheckType = a - road: 0x00000002, 0x000000ff check
CheckType = b - road: 0x02020002
CheckType = c - road: 0x02000002
CheckType = d - road: 0x00020200
CheckType = e - road: 0x02000202
CheckType = f - road: 0x02000000, 0xff000000 check

ConsLayout = .......
ConsLayout = ..\\..<
ConsLayout = ..\\...
ConsLayout = .......
ConsLayout = ..^....

Hard part appears to be done now.  Just need to path them, import the textures and give them IIDs. ;D

(A little RUL 0x10000000 action, in case you were wondering.)

-Alex (Tarkus)

girlfromverona

Oh. My. Goodness!!! You are spoiling us, David!

ETA: Alex, that looks mighty complicated! Glad you're doing it instead of me... ;)

threestooges

Hope the chicken turned out well. It looks like the curve certainly did. Alex, that may be simple, but it is close to greek to me. Out of curiosity, where did you learn RULing, and is there a tutorial out there you would recommend for someone who was interested in getting started (aka a bit nuts)? Anyway, great work both of you.
-Matt

dedgren

Wheesh, Alex...

Glad you say so.  Anyway, here's that chicken.

Just a 3+ pound/1.5 kilogram whole chicken from Freddie's [linkie].  Stuff with cooked rice, slivered almonds, and fresh sage and thyme leaves and a sprig of rosemary.  Sprinkles of garlic salt, cracked pepper and dried basil leaves on the outside.  An hour and a half on the barby- hey, it cooks itself!

Dinner for two for me and my sweetie.  If you are up here this summer, we'll throw on two.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

girlfromverona

Oh, man. Now you've made me hungry.

*off to make dinner*

yochananmichael

man can I come to your place for dinner that and your road curves look T-A-S-T-Y
Greywolf (John Michael)
If you can't run with the pack don't run at all

Darmok

Who cares about those roads.... let's eat that chicken...!   ;)

David you're the devil incarnate, just as I'm trying to loose weight you put that chicken in my sight.... oh well, here goes the diet!

Seriously the work you're doing on the FAR and the FARR is simply phenomenal!

Now, what about setting another place at that table hummm?  ::)

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth