• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packersfan

Replies to Your Comments:
jmyers2043: This is a great MD. No doubt. I like the region shots, the maps, and I get Sooo many ideas for my own game. Thank you for sharing.

- Jim

Thanks.  Glad I can give people ideas.  By the way, thanks for all the great houses!

Swordmaster:
Nice parks, and good experimenting with the angles. Not everyone of them worked, though; some are too stretched and the whole thing starts looking flat.

You should, in any way, start numbering your pictures.

[ON DIAGONAL RUNWAYS]

Well, translate your mosaic science to textures - it's the same principle. Find the runway textures in the pack and follow my tutorial to extract the PNGs. Then do your magic in whatever image program you use.

In any case, if no one did it by the time I need it in PSC, then I'll do it myself. That may still take a couple of years, though.

Cheers
Willy

At first I was kind of upset with your assessment about the perspectives, but upon more and more looks, I can see how some of the pictures look a little flat.  I'll need to make sure I don't fall into that trap in the future.

You'll see I started numbering my pictures again in this update.  I remembered just as I was about to convert the pictures to .jpg.

Maybe I'll give it a try, though it sounds like it would be a major undertaking, and I am a little confused why other people that use diagonal runways in their cities don't share them with the community via download.  Of course, I don't have much time at all to devote to it, much less keep updates coming out.  Oh well.

Update 86 - HAWTHORNE: Eisenhower Park Neighborhood
Now down to the southwest side and the City of Hawthorne.  It seems like this is our first look at Hawthorne.  This is the newest area of Hawthorne that I built at least six months ago.  Much of it is a recreation of an area in Chicago.  Even schools are placed in the same spot, and the parks are similarly designed.  I hope you enjoyed this more conventional update that I put together today.  In-game projects limited my preparation this week.

Hawthorne was named after pioneer Josiah Hawthorne who first established a settlement on the west side of Penelope River.  Solomon Hardee established a competing settlement on the east side of the river where Downtown Hawthorne now ironically lies.  Four District highways cross in Hawthorne, D29, D31, D34, and D100.  National Highway 45 runs through the city bearing the name, south of Penelope River, South Baylor Avenue as Baylor is the next major destination for the highway.  N45 travels along Hawthorne Avenue in the City of Martin.  The City of Hawthorne has its own independent school district which consists of two high schools (Hawthorne North, Eisenhower Park) and four elementary schools (Eisenhower, Dwight, Dominion, and Wrenn).  Hawthorne's current population is about 32,000.

As you can see, I've included picture numbers again for the first time in over a year or so, for easier reference by you guys.

The school labeled Dominion Elementary is in fact Dwight Elementary of the Hawthorne School District.

I built this area a long time ago, pretty much recreating a section of Chicago, complete with school placement and everything.

The school labeled Dominion Elementary is the actual Dominion Elementary

The picture that alerted me to the fact that I had labelled BOTH schools Dominion Elementary.  Dwight Elementary is on the left side of the picture, and Dominion Elementary is on the right.

I could not resist the call of the perspective tool.  I know some people expressed dissatisfaction with my use of it, but I think it really spices things up and gets rid of the repetition.  I used it on the first mosaic slightly, too.

Eisenhower Park High School of the Hawthorne School District, effectively the "south" high school in the City of Hawthorne currently.

You are here.

This week flew by didn't it?  I lost a bunch of time re-working one of my large city tiles into 4 medium city tiles and being very conscious about all the borders lining up correctly, so future composite pictures look even more slick.  It was hard coming up with something to showcase today.  I was planning on showing some images from around I-380 just north of Hawthorne, but I didn't want to have a sort of incomplete feel to the update, since I don't know what the exit numbers are yet.  Hopefully I will be able to determine that sooner than later.

Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

sim_link

A fantastic update. I must admit to being jealous of how your grittier areas look, and your commercial strips. Mine just fall flat in comparison. I also love the use of the perspective tool... what program did you use to do that? I think you're right, it gets rid of the repetition of SC4 images - I personally find it a really nice touch.

Great work as usual! ;D

Swordmaster

Nice work on the schools and suburbs. I did catch the perspective on the first pic, this one works very well. Pic 5 works alright, too, although some of the houses to the right start slanting a bit too much.

Quote from: packersfan on January 21, 2013, 06:25:28 AMAt first I was kind of upset with your assessment about the perspectives, but upon more and more looks, I can see how some of the pictures look a little flat.  I'll need to make sure I don't fall into that trap in the future.

Well, you said you wanted a conversation. "Good work, like it" is usually not conducive to starting one. The big pic of Rutland Park for instance. If you'd cut off the bottom part, it would work. Now the big warehouse betrays the visual trickery. Anyway, I hope you'll share your techniques someday.

Cheers
Willy

art128

Two impressive mosaics. The perspective added to the first one is, as Willy said, really well done.  A nice suburban area you show us again. ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

packersfan

art128: Two impressive mosaics. The perspective added to the first one is, as Willy said, really well done.  A nice suburban area you show us again.

Thanks, I'm going to continue throwing a perspective image in to updates, but I need to not overuse them.

Swordmaster:
Nice work on the schools and suburbs. I did catch the perspective on the first pic, this one works very well. Pic 5 works alright, too, although some of the houses to the right start slanting a bit too much.

Quote from: packersfan on January 21, 2013, 08:25:28 AM
At first I was kind of upset with your assessment about the perspectives, but upon more and more looks, I can see how some of the pictures look a little flat.  I'll need to make sure I don't fall into that trap in the future.

Well, you said you wanted a conversation. "Good work, like it" is usually not conducive to starting one. The big pic of Rutland Park for instance. If you'd cut off the bottom part, it would work. Now the big warehouse betrays the visual trickery. Anyway, I hope you'll share your techniques someday.

Cheers
Willy

Yeah, I think you might have some criticism of Pic #3 in today's update.  I think I pushed a little more than I wanted to.  The urge for tilting camera is too much, but not enough to get SC5...maybe...

sim_link:
A fantastic update. I must admit to being jealous of how your grittier areas look, and your commercial strips. Mine just fall flat in comparison. I also love the use of the perspective tool... what program did you use to do that? I think you're right, it gets rid of the repetition of SC4 images - I personally find it a really nice touch.

Great work as usual!

I use GIMP to edit my pictures, create the map, everything.  I've never used Photoshop, so I don't know what that expensive program gets you that GIMP doesn't provide.  I think the perspective picture will be a mainstay, but I will only use it as a change of pace.  Otherwise, I start trying to one up each successive perspective pic in an update and I go overboard.

Update 87 - HAWTHORNE: Wrenn and Dakota Neighborhoods (Neighborhood of W's)
We continue our mini-tour of Hathorne on the east side of South Baylor Avenue (N45, D29).  The streets in this area parallel South Baylor Avenue and do not follow the North-South street number grid.  However, all the north-south streets have W names.  Often the area is referred to the Neighborhood of W's.  (I should have used that as the title of this update, ha).  Dakota Park anchors Dakota Neighborhood which is bordered by South Baylor Avenue, West DeKalb Avenue, South Hardee Drive, South Mayers Road, and West Eisenhower Avenue.  Wrenn Park anchors Wrenn Neighborhood which is bordered by West Eisenhower Avenue, South Mayers Road, West Farragut Avenue, and South Baylor Avenue.  A pretty straight forward update.  Hope you enjoy it.

You are here.

Well back in a rut where I never seem to have enough time to play SimCity.  Hope you enjoyed this update.  I admit the last mosaic, I went a little too far with the perspective again.  Still trying to find the perfect variety.  The next few weeks, DOW will be on hiatus.  I am travelling home to America and will not have any time to play or update.

RickD

I liked all your recent updates. You are really the master of suburbs. I need to play on a map with this much space when I finished Empire Bay. ;)

Have a good time on your trip back home.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

benedict

Excellent OSITM updates - I've really enjoyed seeing them showcased over here in one hot spot. Have a great trip.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

bat

Utvaw

Nice updates.  I like your use of perspective, but I think it falls flat (literally ;) ) on the longer pictures.  It looks amazing on the shorter distanced ones though.

Kergelen

Two great mosaics. I love the large suburbs.

Links to SC4 websites

vinlabsc3k

Your attention to replicate real suburbs is admirable. &apls
My only disappointment is the weaving of roads and rail, you could use the FAR or smooth S. ;)
A suggestion: use RHW2 for suburban roads and 1 tile dirt lots (lots with shrubs or trees and dirt texture) or MMPs on the edges of them to separate the zones from the RHW, MHW or rail.

Anyway is a good work. :thumbsup:
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Swordmaster

Yeah, that tilt is slightly too much in the top part of the pic. But otherwise quite a good shot.

Cheers
Willy

packersfan

Swordmaster: Yeah, that tilt is slightly too much in the top part of the pic. But otherwise quite a good shot.

Yeah, just a little bit too much.

vinlabsc3k:
Your attention to replicate real suburbs is admirable.
My only disappointment is the weaving of roads and rail, you could use the FAR or smooth S.
A suggestion: use RHW2 for suburban roads and 1 tile dirt lots (lots with shrubs or trees and dirt texture) or MMPs on the edges of them to separate the zones from the RHW, MHW or rail.

Anyway is a good work.

I've avoided FAR and smooth S because they don't support zoning alongside yet.  FAR will definitely become a bigger part of my cities when Draggable FAR comes out!  I don't understand what you mean about the RHW2, etc.

Kergelen:
Two great mosaics. I love the large suburbs.

Thank you!

Utvaw:
Nice updates.  I like your use of perspective, but I think it falls flat (literally  ) on the longer pictures.  It looks amazing on the shorter distanced ones though.

Thanks.  Yeah, the perspective doesn't always work perfectly.

bat:
Beautiful views of your nice city!!

Thank you.

benedict:
Excellent OSITM updates - I've really enjoyed seeing them showcased over here in one hot spot. Have a great trip.

Yeah, I'm happy to have a larger audience and more comments for once!

RickD:
I liked all your recent updates. You are really the master of suburbs. I need to play on a map with this much space when I finished Empire Bay.

Have a good time on your trip back home.

Master of suburbs?  Not so sure about that.  This map is fairly large, though nothing compared to my Rabourn map (my second city journal)...I can only imagine how I would handle that massive region nowadays.  It was probably 4 times as large as this one.

vinlabsc3k

I mean that when you drag a road and leave suburbs limit change to RHW2 (as old 66) and, on the side of them, place lots with dirt texture or MMPs to separate from farms, if they are present.

A little draft:

FFFFFX| |XFFFFF
FFFFFX| |XFFFFF
FFFFFX| |XFFFFF
______!  !_______

F = Farm Zones
X = Dirt Lots or MMPs
____ = Suburbs Boundary
!  ! = Road
| | = RHW-2

I hope that, this time, you can understand me.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

packersfan

Update 88 - Duncan Hill Interchange
My project this first week back was connecting I-680 and I-380.  I-380 is a six-mile stretch that runs between the cities of Hohler and Hawthorne.  I-680 bypasses the City of Martin, and I plan for it to serve the larger Martin Metro Airport to the south.  I'm really trying to get into using the RHW, though I need to find the proper signage.

This is Duncan Hill Interchange.

A few farm houses on a dirt stretch of Axelrod Avenue.  Things are about to change.

Exit 4B to County Highway A - Axelrod Avenue.

Duncan Hill Interchange

You are here.

Sorry about the lackluster update and no region picture.  I am rebuilding the a large 4x4 tile adjacent to this Duncan Hill tile.  Hope you enjoy my first documented foray into the world of RHW interchanges...(I do have an RHW interchange north of Brittany River).

RickD

My name is Raphael.

Swordmaster

Excellent indeed. Proper scale and proper spacing between ramps as well. Not to mention fractional angles at last. And excellent flora work to go with it.

Cheers
Willy

packersfan

Swordmaster: Excellent indeed. Proper scale and proper spacing between ramps as well. Not to mention fractional angles at last. And excellent flora work to go with it.

Cheers
Willy

Thank you.  Some other people mentioned that the size was too large, but I think it is just right!

RickD:
Nice! Excellent RHW interchange.

Thank you very much!

Update 89 - Walla Walla Interchange (I-380 Exit 2 A-B)
This week I spent a lot of time rebuilding the 4 tiles that resulted from breaking up the Fort Orangeport tile.  So here is an update with some new farm styles.  This is Walla Walla Interchange (Exit 2 A-B) on Interdistrict Highway 380.  Approaching from the west drivers can take an exit to National Highway 20 (South Ogden Avenue).  If drivers continue across Ogden Avenue, they can either enter East Interdistrict 380 or continue along a ramp to County Highway X.  If drivers want to continue along East District Highway 100 they take this exit and continue along the ramp to South Chastin Road (County Highway X).  Approaching from the east (westbound), drivers take a split exit that either takes them to Chastin Road or Ogden Avenue.

Exit 2 A-B Eastbound

The picture is a little messed up but hopefully it doesn't detract from it.

Exit 2 A-B Westbound

This one is also messed up a little...oops

You are here.

Hope you enjoyed this update.  This next week I'll be working on filling in the rest of those tiles in this area with farms and residences.  I will also do some experimenting with the NEW NAM!!!

cmdp123789

Interesting...! I like the spacing... the sense of realism on that is stunning, scaling is properly done, and you managed somehow to mix it with the surroundings... you just didnt build a highway, you also made it part of the enviroment, it looks very realistic to me...

Another thing, this is the first time I see this, which kinda weird since Ive been following sc4devotion and simtropolis since 2006...

I love it &apls

RickD

I agree, you got the scale just right. I like the concept of the interchange. If only we had diagonal avenue-rhw overpasses...  &mmm
My name is Raphael.