• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Synoecism

Started by gorbag, March 20, 2010, 09:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorbag

Why Synoecism?

I played the original SimCity when it came out and also had a copy of SimCity 2000. I tried SimCity 4 but found it quite complicated. After many years, I got as a birthday gift the SimCity 4 Deluxe box set that included the Rush Hour expansion pack. I decided to hunt around for a tutorial and discovered www.simtropolis.com. One of the City Journals on that site was Natural Growth by CSGdesign. It has now been removed from that site and can be found here. It still remains one of the best SimCity Journals around. The style of natural growth was different to the usual style of building that I played. Planning was done at the very local scale, except when highways were planned. Nothing was done without a pressing reason and there was very strong element of roleplay.

I was attracted to this style of gameplay. I tried it out a few times in small regions and settled on my own version of this type of "organic growth". I read up on various planning styles and I was caught by the notion of synoecism, where a number of villages combine to form one town.

Synoecism and other planning styles

Throughout the course of my city development I aim to show a few different planning styles, but my main approach will be organic with the emphasis on synoecism. I'll mention other planning styles here as I experiment with them.

The gameplay style

In synoecism there are several small nuclei. There could be an initial settlement, but it should split off into other villages so that these villages can combine at a later date. The interesting part of this is that the initial settlement may or may not end up becoming the heart of the main hub.

This approach can also be applied to the region as well. Other hubs (each with a number of small nuclei) can be started and be grown in the same way. Eventually the hubs themselves may join up if the natural growth dictates that it be so.

I feel that the style of play is still primarily natural growth, rather than self-funded. There is a roleplay element. Everything is done by considering what would happen naturally. There is not so much deity control. There has to be some, I feel, however. For example, a collection of small villages might be self sustaining for hundreds of years and they may experience no growth whatsoever. This is natural, but not that interesting, so an event (such as discovering ore) could be used to create some momentum within the scenario.

So, the style is not pure natural growth, but it approaches it often and everything is roleplayed.

Custom Content

The custom content used can be found here.

The Region of Oak River

I'll be starting from the very beginning, but the current region shot is:

This diary starts in 1900 SimGlobe timeline, when the first settler John Harris sailed across the ocean blue and discovered the region he would eventually name Oak River because of the abundance of Oaks in the area. He made a little farm for himself, his wife Brigitta his two children and his dog by the river. Over the course of a couple of years, a sailor who happened to espy the farm from his boat reported existence of the land to those who lived in well-settled places. Soon, more settlers began to arrive and the land was gradually tamed by simkind. Yet, the land was vast and empty except for trees and beasts and there was plenty of room to grow.

nedalezz

Well if the region shot is anything to go by, we've got ourselves a gem here! Perhaps a little background on how this specific region came to be and the history behind it?

gorbag

Quote from: nedalezz on March 20, 2010, 09:37:34 AM
Well if the region shot is anything to go by, we've got ourselves a gem here! Perhaps a little background on how this specific region came to be and the history behind it?

Before the first entry there were no inhabitants whatsoever. The history of this region will be told throughout the diary, but it was started to be settled from afar in 1900 on the SimGlobe timeline.

Entry 1: The Foundation of Oak River

On 3rd March 1900, following many months sailing with his wife Brigitta, his two young children Andrew and Emily and his dog Scratch, John Harris set down on untouched land. The area had as yet no name.

He set up his home and his farm and lived there in peace for a few short months.

Knowledge of this remote land brimming with opportunity soon came to the ears of more people and they too came to farm the land. The settlers came in one by one. Dirt tracks were made connecting previous farmsteads. These tracks wound their way through the forest, always following the easiest path – in this case where the forest was less dense. Over time areas of the forest were cleared next to the track and farms and houses laid down.

On 15th February 1901 the residents got together and decided that their community was now large enough to require some form of central organisation. After a show of hands John Harris was elected Chief Alderman. The residents declared their community to be a complete village. The debate to name the village was heated but in the end it was the Chief Alderman who decided on the name of Oak River. Despite the fact that most of the village stretched into the deep forest, John Harris' home was by the banks of the river and he wanted the name of the village to reflect that.

gorbag

Entry 2: Shiny Metal Discs

Since the foundation of Oak River the farming inhabitants have been exchanging goods by the method of bartering. They exchanged produce with each other so that everyone had enough to eat and drink.

However, they soon found that exchanging goods was not sufficient. Arguments broke out about the value of each type of produce. There were other services that were needed as well. Farm machinery needed repairing for one. Around this time a new settler arrived from over the sea bearing a number of small metallic discs. His name was Rob Bryden and he set up a small shop buying and selling produce from the farmers in exchange for the small discs. After a while the system was fully established and people were buying and selling goods and services from each other. Mr. Bryden brought a large number of these discs with him, but there was still only a limited number of discs, so growth would still be limited.

In addition to Rob's shop, a mechanic set up a practice. The mechanic carries out all repairs on farm machinery. Finally, money became master as the Sims try to get the best prices for their goods. With the new services came new residents who built mainly around the crossroads.

Shilka

As a reader of your SC4 blog it's great to see you place your updates here as well!
As I mentioned before on your blog, I like how you're introducing civilization elements step by step in your region, allowing us as a reader to witness the initial developments of your region up close.
I like how you are basing events on synoecism, and I'm curious about how it will effect future developments. Using this real life way of growth will probably ensure a very natural developing region.
The promise of the introduction of other 'city growth systems' is interesting too, though that is prob something for the far future.

Your entry header pictures are very original!

planetechef

Very interesting way to play simcity 4, i just read few days ago the csgdesign blog after discover the concept with Quynneth MD from Shilka, and i learn couple things very interesting, great start with your MD and i will follow the adventure.
& coming soon "Sakura Republic".

gorbag

Replies

Quote from: Shilka on March 21, 2010, 04:09:05 AM
As a reader of your SC4 blog it's great to see you place your updates here as well!
As I mentioned before on your blog, I like how you're introducing civilization elements step by step in your region, allowing us as a reader to witness the initial developments of your region up close.
I like how you are basing events on synoecism, and I'm curious about how it will effect future developments. Using this real life way of growth will probably ensure a very natural developing region.
The promise of the introduction of other 'city growth systems' is interesting too, though that is prob something for the far future.

Your entry header pictures are very original!

Shilka. Thanks for being such an avid reader. I'm also curious have my chosen playing style will affect future development. I'm attempting to be as faithful as possible, but we'll just have to see how it pans out. The other city growth systems will be something for the far future. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but everything will still be roleplayed.

Quote from: planetechef on March 21, 2010, 06:36:08 AM
Very interesting way to play simcity 4, i just read few days ago the csgdesign blog after discover the concept with Quynneth MD from Shilka, and i learn couple things very interesting, great start with your MD and i will follow the adventure.

Thanks planetechef and welcome aboard. I hope I won't disappoint.

Entry 3: The Diary of William Spigot

William Spigot was found dead in his barn with his diary beside him. Local residents, being incredibly nosy, read it. Here is a snapshot of some more recent entries.

Sunday 1st March 1903.

There are a lot more people in this village than there used to be. There's well over 100! I can hardly remember everyone's name. Only this morning I was in Rob Bryden's shop exchanging some discs for bread, when a young lady walked in. I hadn't a clue who she was. It turned out it was Brigitta's cousin and she'd just come from overseas. Of course, I didn't bother to find out what she was called.

Monday 2nd March 1903.

Worked all day in the fields. Nothing much happened until Jonas Jonasson from the mechanics passed out in a ditch on the way to the crossroads. He had been drinking some of Norbert Smith's homemade liquor. That stuff is great if you want to unblock a pipe. Not that we have many pipes mind.

Tuesday 3rd March 1903.

I came across the sea for some piece and quiet, but the village has grown so much I can hardly hear myself think. I was trying to decide on swede or turnip for dinner but I couldn't think straight because two people were having a conversation in the street by my house. I opened my upstairs window and poured water on them.

Wednesday 4th March 1903.

I was attacked by a scarecrow in the field.

Thursday 5th March 1903.

Gah! I've had enough of this. I was walking for a stroll by the river when Scratch came and bit my left leg. I complained to Mr. Harris who just laughed and said I was a grumpy old catfish. I suppose he thinks he can get away with having vicious dogs just because he's Alderman.

Friday 6th March 1903.

I've decided to move away. I'm packing up a few belongings and I'm moving out west to the deep forest and to start a farm there and get some peace and quiet.

Thursday 12th March 1903.

I've set up a new farm. I've cleared the land, planted my crops and I've not put up any dirt tracks leading back to the village, so hopefully no-one will find me.

Wednesday 5th April 1903

Infuriating! Some blighter has cleared away some land nearby and has started a new farm. I tried to chase him away with a stick, but the limp in my left leg was causing me too much pain. He's even started to lay some dirt tracks.

Saturday 16th May 1903.

Where are they all coming from? It's as if they've sprung up from nowhere. All around me the trees have been cleared and people are constructing farms everywhere.

Saturday 6th June 1903.

There is no escape. I shouted at my neighbour, for, well, existing. He told me I could just pack up my bags and leave `Westfield' (hah – we're an official village now) and go to `Sudbury' If I so wished. I'm locking myself in my barn to get away from the din.

gorbag

Entry 4: The Church of St. Raphael

The settlements of Oak River, Westfield and Sudbury had been existing in peaceful solitude for a short time. The young colony received attention from the churches in another part of SimGlobe. A handful of missionaries were sent out to spread the good news in the region.

The missionaries landed at Oak River and got to know the population. The searched for a good site for a church and they settled for a spot upstream of the village of Oak River, right next to the river itself. In early 1904 the church was built. A dedication service was held and the church was named St. Raphael

The site chosen was an easy cart ride away from the three villages. Over time tracks appeared where vegetation was trodden as the residents trekked to the service every Sunday morning.

Around the church and the tracks the village of St. Raphael sprung up. These housed the missionaries as well as a few people providing services for the community and the church goers.

Shilka

I like your update 3, the diary is such a funny read  :D

Battlecat

Interesting and amusing start!  I'm looking forward to more here!

gorbag

Replies

Quote from: Shilka on March 22, 2010, 07:18:58 AM
I like your update 3, the diary is such a funny read  :D

Thanks Shilka. :)

Quote from: Battlecat on March 22, 2010, 09:25:24 AM
Interesting and amusing start!  I'm looking forward to more here!

Thanks Battlecat. There's plenty more to come if you're interested.

Entry 5: Laying the black stuff

The residents of the Oak River region wanted to know much more about their surroundings. More than the fact that they were surrounded by dense forest anyway. A few intrepid cartographers and explorers set off to map and explore (surprise surprise) the surrounding area. About 1 mile west of Westfield they discovered a river, which they named Dart River.

By the banks of the river they discovered some natural deposits of a strange substance. This substance turned out to be asphaltum. This substance was tested in the construction of a number of things, such as plates and ovens.

An asphalt plant was set up to facilitate this.

Most of the tests were spectacular failures. It was Christopher Riddles who discovered it could be used to form a hard surface that could be put on the ground. Soon the asphalt industry took off and the dirt tracks around Oak River were beginning to be replaced with asphalt.

As well as asphalt other substance were found in the region namely various metal ores. Supporting industries began to spring up, the most noticeable was the metalworks. Not only did they make metals for the industry, but their first job was acting as a mint and making new shiny metal discs that could be used in trade.

gorbag

Entry 6: Coastal Communities

Drawn back to their roots, the settlers of the Oak River region started to become more maritime in nature. This was brought about by the construction of a small jetty near the church. The site was chosen because sites further downstream at Oak River were too shallow to allow the ferries to come in.

There are three sites that sprung up at this time and are indicated on the map below with numbers 8, 9 and 10.

Barnacle

The village of Barnacle (number 10) is situated just across the water from St. Raphael. It's an incredibly small riverine community.

Oak Point

Oak Point is a farming community right by the mouth of the river. It was easier to construct a ferry to transport people than to navigate through the dense forest, even by following the coast.

Sarah's Cove

Sarah's Cove was founded by Sarah Smith. It started out as a small fishing village on the coast.

Soon, a more permanent landing point for the fishermen and women was constructed a little way down the coast by the mouth of the River Wiggle. 

gorbag

Entry 7: Taking to the Waves

The communities of Sarah's Cove and Wigglemouth took to the water like, well, ducks to water. They soon developed a network of passenger pontoons. These pontoons were incredibly cheap to run, only costing $3 a month. A number of residents use them to get to work, even at Capt Jacks Landing.

The picture above is south facing.

There were two ferry routes. One that traversed the coast line and visited all the pontoons and another that travelled between East Cove, West Cove and Wigglemouth as can be seen on this network diagram.

Battlecat

RickD

I like St Raphael best.   $%Grinno$% (look at my sig)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

gorbag

Replies

Battlecat: Thanks. I'm still trying to find my feet.

RickD: Ha Ha. Glad you're reading.

Entry 8: Sharpening the saws

The region of Oak River was becoming very crowded, and by crowded we mean that all the space that wasn't forest was being used. The villagers of Westfield, Middleton and Sudbury hatched a plan to clear about 4 square kilometres of forest so that it could be used as agricultural land. The area under question is outlined in the image below.

The inhabitants of Oak River wanted no part of this, being much more conservative, no doubt under the influence of original settler and Alderman John Harris.

There was no lumber company in the part of the world as of yet so the inhabitants were forced to chop the trees themselves. Armed with axes the hardy menfolk, womenfolk, childfolk and dogfolk set to work. Actually only the older children were allowed to help the adults and they were limited to cutting branches off felled trees.

Piles of felled trees soon started to appear as a small swath was cut through the forest.

Not far behind people made a rough dirt track that followed the swath through the forest. This was to allow them to get back to and from the villages easily.

This was a venture that was going to take some time.

Battlecat

Well it's coming along quite nicely.  I'm all for taking it slow! 

gorbag

Battlecat: Thanks again. I'm not rushing into things.

Entry 9: It's good shipping goods

Industries in the Dart River area were having to transport their goods a long way before being shipped. The route ran through Oak River and along the coastal road to Sarah's Cove some 12km trip by road for just a 4km distance in a straight line. Additionally, a 1km stretch of road was not even in existence so the freight had to be hauled on the beach.

Entrepreneur Bob Ribblesand saw an opportunity to cut freight costs for the industries whilst making bundles of cash for himself. He started up the Dart River Barge Company to transport freight up the Dart River.

The river mouth was just 3km downstream. By the river mouth he constructed a port to handle the goods for shipping. Unfortunately, the cost of building a fully fledged seaport was too much at this stage so Bob had to settle with docking barges by the small pontoon before being shipped off.

Barge image by Mark Groves. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic.

gorbag

Entry 10: Clearing Up

After two years of solid work chopping down trees the villagers of Westfield, Middleton and Sudbury had made some progress. Some, but not much. They had only cleared about half the area that they were hoping to clear. They needed a new strategy. Actually, what they needed were some new tools and machinery to do the job.

In the mean time they decided that they must prepare what land they had already cleared for agriculture. That was the idea behind the clearing after all. First of all they had to get rid of all of the felled trees lying around.

Their first move was to set up a makeshift lumber yard to deal with all of the logs.

Once that was built and the logs cleared then finally farmers were able to start to move into the area.

Battlecat

Looks good!  Nice little farms there.