• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

romualdillo's little BATs & Problems

Started by romualdillo, May 21, 2014, 09:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

What an amazing model, can't wait to see it ingame!!  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

mattb325

That corner house is stunning! I love the details on it as well as the tiled wall  :)

matias93

Quote from: Simcoug on November 17, 2015, 06:37:58 AM
Amazing details as always, and the glass enclosed balcony is beautiful!   &apls
After looking at some of the neat photos that matias93 posted, a set of overhanging sign props would do wonders to liven up building facades.   ;)

And there are more from they have come:

Check at the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FotosHistoricasDeChile

The hanging signs were mostly luminous (check at the light bulbs around the "Liquidación - Medias" sign), and persisted by several decades. Here, a photo of Santiago in the late 1970s:

Briefly after that, were banned, mainly because many people was injured by falling signs in the 1985 earthquake. Notwithstanding, some signs persist up to the actuality, mainly in old commercial streets:

Check it in Google Maps

If I weren't sepulted in works for the end of semester, this would be a fair opportunity for learning to BAT this interesting props. I hope this references would help whoever tries to do that.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Simcoug

Signs would be amazing... luminous signs would be amazing^10!

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll just drop it here because I think it is a problems specific to some of your props...
Any time I try to use one of your poster signs (whether it's using the prop family or just an individual prop) I get this error:

Has anybody else had this issue?  I am using the SC4 PIM LE

I haven't tried it using the maxis LE, but I'd like to stick with the PIM LE, cause that's just me :)

vortext

Hm yes can confirm this issue with SC4PIM - though the props still do show up just fine ingame. I'm thinking the error is because the models have literally zero depth to them. If you try to create a building out of them the following error ensues:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "treeDnD.pyo", line 93, in OnData
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 2918, in OnDrop
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 2988, in CreateAnExamplar
  File "<string>", line 0, in ?
ZeroDivisionError: float division

Note the last line, zero division error. Changing the Occupant Size doesn't help either, it seems SC4PIM doesn't like models with no depth.

edit: so I just tried to scale up the depth with the ModelTweaker and that actually kinda worked - which makes no sense if you think about it since the models have zero depth to begin with. Anyway, with 'kinda worked' I mean the error disappeared, however, the models now showed up as blank, white panels. . . I'm guessing the only proper solution is to re-render the poster models with minimal depth to them.  &mmm
time flies like a bird

romualdillo

I confirm that the LOD box of these signs is only a shape without depth (2 triangles). I made it that way to reduce unnecessary polys (a simple box needs 12), and I thought there wouldn't be any problem. In fact, the Maxis LotEditor gives no error, but the SC4PIM does. And as vortext said, they show correctly in game.
I didn't notice this issue when locating the signs with the SC4PIM because I normally use a white simple box to introduce families correctly in place (I do the same with walls, houses, garden props etc, to ensure they all have the same insertion point). In this case I used a white box of 2,66m wide x 4m high x 0,15m depth as family seed. Obviously I didn't include the boxes in the prop pack, because they must be out of the plugins folder when playing the game.
When I opened any of the lots with the SC4PIM Editor, I noticed the error, but I couldn't identify what kind of error it was, because everything was showing correctly, even the signs.

So, what can you do:
Do the same as me, and locate the families with a white box.

What can I do:
Render everything again with LOD boxes instead of shapes, use the same TGI numbers and rebuild the prop pack. If you don't want to wait, you can use the first solution by now. I'll try to render everything again as fast as possible.

This prop pack is having more issues than I thought... I'm sorry!!!  ()sad()

c.p.

I love all the details you put into Casa Neorrománica (especially the windows).  :thumbsup: It will be interesting to see how the curved balcony look in-game.

noahclem

Beautiful work with the Casa Neorrománica! I love the details and more corner buildings are always useful  &apls

romualdillo

Greetings to all!

I'm sorry I don't have any update, but I've been suffering from severe backaches during the last days, and I haven't been able to work on the signs lately. I'll try to finish them as soon as possible, but I'll have to build all the props again, as the new models are incompatible with the existent props... Please be patient! 
()sad()

vortext

No worries, your health is more important than a few props for a silly computer game. Hope you'll feel better soon!  :)
time flies like a bird

Kergelen

Links to SC4 websites

JP Schriefer

We can wait you be better, as Vortext said, your wealth is more important....but I still want those houses! *-*

vester

Hope you get well soon.  :)

The best you can do, is to get moving, that at least is my experience. Start taking some short walks ect.

romualdillo

Thank you for your comments, guys!! I'm much better now, but I still need some Physical Therapy sessions, and after them, I should start doing some light sport. But the most important thing is that I can sit in front of my computer again, and continue working...

The signs have been re-rendered, and now Simcoug is testing the prop-pack. He has some good ideas to improve it, so we'll work on them.

The Neo-Romanesque house is being developed, but it has so many details, that I get bored, and I start working on other things. Here's the progress:

I hope you like it!!  ;)

Vortext's Diary inspired me to do some "medieval" experiments I had been thinking of.

I've started with this building. It was built as "Aula Palatina" (Throne Room) for king Ramiro I of Asturias, and finished in 842 as part of a palatial complex. It's the oldest standing civic building in Spain, and a World Heritage Monument. It became a church later, and it's known now as Santa María del Naranco. It was restored between 1929 and 1934. It's relatively small, only 6x21 meters, but after the Arabic invasion there wasn't much money to build grandiose buildings in the young kingdom.

I hope you like it!!!  (Still adapting the textures and colours)

vester

Sport has helped me with my back and not just once but several times it has proven to be the best medicine for my back problems.

Forgot to mention this in my last post: Some GREAT works you have done lately. Great works indeed!!!  :thumbsup:

This new building looks great! I'm especially pleased because it is now something entirely new. Can't await to see it online :thumbsup:

vortext

Glad to hear you're doing better. Needless to say I like your latest creation, sure can use fitting government type buildings in my fictional kingdom!  :D :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

mattb325

Absolutely stunning! The little church is wonderful
I'm glad your back is a little better - but make sure not to overdo it; I've heard that sitting for long periods can be torture for sore backs

JP Schriefer

Nice to know you're already back :)
Lovely models!

Kergelen

This medieval building looks fantastic! &apls

Links to SC4 websites