• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivo_su

I can not wait to see your next updates. It is always interesting to look back in the past and compare things with this and how they have changed and evolved. Today these old RHW seem mildly ridiculous and so ugly, but experience and time with them is that NAM has led to further develop these highways are emblematic of Sim Sity today. I can not wait to peek into the kitchen of the NAM, thanks Alex for your MD and get in touch with the great things that will be a fact soon.

Wiimeiser

What plugins would you say corrupted it? So we know what to avoid.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Swordmaster

Whoa, Argentum. . . that's a long time ago. And that interchange indeed looks funny now. But I also seem to remember working with the OWR to solve things and such. And Landscape Designer :D  Looks like I still have that installed! Good old days. . .

Quote from: Tarkusgives me a good reason to go full-blast here.

Oh my. Where's the seatbelt?

Cheers
Willy

sunv123

Yay, an old city of yours! I just love seeing them for some reason. :)

Can't wait to see what Argentum looks nowadays.
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

samerton

Congratulations on the OSITM, those pictures are a great insight to the times before the RHW as we know it today came about.

Great job, I love the picture of Argentum 2.0 :)

-Sam

EDGE4194

Congrats Alex on the OSITM. I do remember Argentum (didn't you name a street after me for some reason or another?). I've enjoyed the last few updates, and even though i don't check in very often I still keep up with what you're doing.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Thanks for the warm welcome to OSITM--I have a brief update here, in which I'll show you some things I rarely show here in Tarkusian Cities.

But first, replies:

Noah (noahclem): Thanks for the kind words--I'm really glad you enjoyed seeing the peek back at old Argentum and its original RHW setup!  As primitive as that was, I remember I had a good bit of fun building it, and thinking to myself, "what if" on the feature side.  I'm glad you liked the new Argentum as well--it's a map with a lot of really interesting challenges to it, which aren't super apparent until you load up a city tile, though I felt that particular style of development fit like a glove there.  I think I have a lot better sense of how to handle that region now, compared to when I started building the original, some 6 years ago.  And I've since snazzed up that waterfront--I'll be showing it in either Update 98 or 99.

Gugu3: Thanks for the compliments on the update, and I'm glad to hear the new Argentum is an improvement on the old! :thumbsup:

Ivo (ivo_su): Thanks for the kind words on the update and on the RHW development side--it's really quite shocking now, looking back at those old ad-hoc interchanges.

Wiimeiser: I can't remember what all I had in there in the early days of the region, but I do know I had pretty much all the old Bobbo662 Lots that were removed from the STEX due to immortal lot syndrome, and a few other issues.  There were more than likely other lots of that same vintage (2005-2006) off the STEX that suffered from the same issue.  I completely started over with my Plugins prior to starting Chemeketa (after an HD crash), so I haven't seen anything of that sort since.  Thanks for asking a great question!

Willy (Swordmaster): Yeah, it really is a blast from the past, on all fronts. :D  It's really crazy how much things have changed in the past 6 years in this community, and it's been good playing that map again, as I'm finding I can take better advantage of it now.  Maybe I'll have to release the map one of these days . . . ;)  Thanks for reminiscing about old interchange workarounds and long-forgotten tools with me!

sunv123: Thanks--glad to see you enjoyed the "retro" installment.  The new Argentum is a lot different in many ways, beyond the obvious fact that the slopes aren't ridiculous.  :D  Argentum might not be the only region making a comeback, either. ;)

Durfsurn: Hehe, thanks, though I actually haven't unleashed too much on the transit mod side yet there.  There's not really a functioning RHW in sight there yet (well, at least in the downtown tile), as I started it while the RHW was transitioning between the different specs. 

Sam (samerton): Thanks, it's good to be here, and I'm glad you enjoyed seeing old and new Argentum!

Eric (EDGE4194): Hey, it's great to see you! :thumbsup:  I still remember that road--back in Update 17, when you made post #200.  Glad you've been enjoying the updates, and hope you enjoy this one, too!

There's been one big thing here that I haven't shown with respect to Chemeketa--a full region view.  So, without further adieu, here it is--you can click it and get the giant version:

Also, if you're curious to see my transport layout overlaid onto the terrain, here's a full blast version of that.  You can actually see Update 98's end product on there, so it serves as a bit of a teaser, too.

And another thing I haven't shown, which I may start doing more often given the transportation focus of this MD, is Congestion and Volume DataViews.  This is actually in the central city tile, which has a game population of 332,308 (the largest I've ever built, actually), and for the record, I'm running the NAM Medium Simulator, and the only mass transit is a barely-used stretch of commuter rail.

Given the large population and the general lack of mass transit, it's holding up surprisingly well.  Two of the extended yellow/red spots are along Wallace Road on the west side of the map, one at the top, and one just south of the bridge.  Update 98 will largely take care of that top one, and mitigate the red spot there at the start of the Chemeketa Parkway.

-Alex

Swordmaster

Those are some realistic region views, Alex! Especially the streets look perfect. :thumbsup:

With all this looking in the rear-view mirror, I've been flicking through some of the first updates here, and your first MD, and to see the differences it all gets more stunning by the minute. I also realized I miss the desert terrain here, though.

QuoteArgentum might not be the only region making a comeback, either.
I'm curious to see if we get back to Lenox, which was always my favorite terrain here.

Cheers
Willy

RickD

Great to see the region view.  :thumbsup:

I also enjoyed the "historic" images from the previous update. I can still remember my first time using the RHW (wasn't it called ANT initially?). It was so limited with almost no intersection. But I absolutely wanted to have it in my region. I saw a lot of potential in it back then, but I would never have imagined it to become so absolutely great as it is nowadays.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

MandelSoft

Often lurking around this MD but I'm still really impressed of your work. I liked the first OSITM update and I'm curious what you have in store. Keep it up!

Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mike3775

I like that region.  I also love how you laid down the transportation to fit the terrain

jmyers2043

I like the 'full blast version'. The region looks like a good way to spend an evening.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

kj3400

So this is what Chemeketa looks like. It's very neat. I was expecting more freeways for some reason though.  :D
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

noahclem

Great work with the maps and overviews Alex! Very interesting to see how your work fits into familiar simcity map as opposed to your normal, excellent maps. Looking forward to the next bit of news from Argentum and Chemeketa  :thumbsup:

sunv123

It's really nice to see a region view of Chemeketa and i'm surprised that you have traffic problems here! ::)

It would be nice to see some new unreleased RHW puzzle pieces in this MD. ;)

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

figui

firstly: congrats for your third OSITM   :thumbsup:

i love how realistic your region looks. and thanks for showing us the congestion view, would be interesting to follow the impact of your projects.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Durfsurn

I would also likes view of the volume traffic option for the data view traffic for the central tile city! That would be cool

Gugu3

bakerton

Alex, my jaw just dropped when I looked at the region view. Just awe inspiring and awesome looking. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.