• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Workforce and Occupation Demands (Drives)

Started by RippleJet, April 09, 2007, 05:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RippleJet

"What workforce is required by my industries and commercial buildings?"
"What occupation is my population asking for?"

These questions can be answered by looking at certain RCI exemplars in simcity_1.dat.
The properties are called Drives, and there are two kinds of them; I've decided to call them Census Drives and Workforce Drives (mainly based on the names of the exemplars where they are given).

If you are using the Colossus Addon Mod, please refer to this thread: CAM - Workforce and Occupation Demands (Drives).

Census Drives (Demand of Workforce)

These drives tell us what kind of workforce (residential working population) is required for different kinds of jobs.
They are given in the following exemplars: CS$ Census, CS$$ Census, CS$$$ Census, CO$$ Census, CO$$$ Census, IR Census, ID Census, IM Census and IH Census.

The table below should be read from top to bottom for each column separately. Eg. the column named CO$$ tells you that middle-class offices employ 10% R$$$, 50% R$$ and 40% R$:

Employer: 
  CO§§§   
   CO§§   
  CS§§§   
   CS§§   
    CS§     
   I-HT   
    I-M     
    I-D     
    I-R     
Employs
R§§§
15 %
10 %
8 %
5 %
0 %
10 %
5 %
0 %
0 %
R§§
65 %
50 %
30 %
27 %
0 %
80 %
45 %
0 %
0 %
20 %
40 %
62 %
68 %
100 %
10 %
50 %
100 %
20 %

Workforce Drives (Demand of Occupation)

These drives tell us what kind of occupation (commercial and industrial) is accepted by the workforce (population), based on their wealth and education.
They are given in the following exemplars: TotalWF$EQ1, TotalWF$EQ2, TotalWF$EQ3, TotalWF$EQ4, TotalWF$$EQ1, TotalWF$$EQ2, TotalWF$$EQ3, TotalWF$$EQ4, TotalWF$$$EQ1, TotalWF$$$EQ2, TotalWF$$$EQ3, and TotalWF$$$EQ4

The table below should be read from left to right for each row separately. Eg. the row named R$$ 150...200 tells you that well-educated middle-class residents may be working in CO$$$ (44%), CO$$ (15%), CS$$$ (7%), CS$$ (30%), and I-HT (52%). The total of each row is close to 150%, telling you that people can accept more than one type of occupation. Farming (I-R) is treated in its own way and separately from the others.

CO§§§   
   CO§§   
  CS§§§   
   CS§§   
    CS§     
   I-HT   
    I-M     
    I-D     
    I-R     
Wealth
Education

R§§§
75 %
37 %
37 %
60 %
30 %
30 %
7 %
22 %
44 %
60 %
22 %
15 %
7 %
22 %
60 %
7 %
22 %
7 %
15 %
15 %

R§§
44 %
15 %
7 %
30 %
52 %
22 %
22 %
37 %
37 %
30 %
7 %
44 %
30 %
7 %
44 %
15 %
30 %
22 %
15 %
52 %
30 %
120 %

22 %
67 %
15 %
22 %
22 %
22 %
7 %
30 %
52 %
37 %
37 %
37 %
75 %
37 %
112 %
1500 %

JohnTheMutt

Good info RippleJet :) I've always wanted been curious about these values were in the game...

In my own experiments, I have never been able to get R$$$ to work in IHT at all...nada. They love to work in CO$$$ like nothing else but it seems IHT is just invisible to them. At least in my games so far...

I wish that the I-D census drives were more realistic as well. Having personally worked in a oil refinery for 18 years, the demand for solely R$ sims is a bit too much. There are quite a few engineers, techs, mechanics, operators, and managers, who need to be highly skilled and educated, making plenty of money. My rough estimate is far more R$$ than R$ for sure. Even some R$$$ for the upper level management spots. Well, I shouldn't be too critical since it's just a game and not meant to perfectly mimic RL. It does a darn good job of being a fun toy. :)

sLurPPP

Hi RJ,

A big big thanks 4 all ur works. :thumbsup:
they help me so much 2 made my city commerce alive again.
i can figure out whats left behind on my city.
SLUM!! lol
slow but sure i fix my city, but i enjoy that!

now as i tried going further analyzing the tax/head n tax/job occup. packet,
i found an unacceptable workforce demand %.

Here

From the Census Drives (Demand of Workforce) we got Cs$$$ employment devided to 8% R$$$, 30% R$$ n 62% R$

And after crosschecking EQ Demand of Occupation for Cs$$$,
we only got whos enable to working at Cs$$$ are R$$$EQ1, R$$$EQ2, R$$$EQ3, R$$$EQ4 and R$$EQ4

So there's NO way R$ able to working at Cs$$$ event they well-educated

Did i miss understand on reading the chart here?
aaah.. i guess i have to wait a week till u get back. :-[

Did anybody ever release tax estimation chart?
i like to know how Commerce/Industrial generate tax,
is it by occupance or by tile or both?

Swamper77

The money brought in by a building is determined with the "Building Value" property in the building exemplars and the tax rate itself.

-Swamper77
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

sLurPPP

so occupance of the building doesn't determine C/I tax income?
how about residential? same rule? or determine by tax/head?

RippleJet

Quote from: sLurPPP on July 06, 2007, 06:01:02 PM
From the Census Drives (Demand of Workforce) we got Cs$$$ employment devided to 8% R$$$, 30% R$$ n 62% R$

And after crosschecking EQ Demand of Occupation for Cs$$$,
we only got whos enable to working at Cs$$$ are R$$$EQ1, R$$$EQ2, R$$$EQ3, R$$$EQ4 and R$$EQ4

So there's NO way R$ able to working at Cs$$$ event they well-educated

The workforce drives tell you what kinds of jobs will develop in your city, based on your population's wealth and education.
If your city only houses low educated R$ and R$$, there will simply be no need for CS$$$ to develop.
You need highly educated R$$ or R$$$ in order to get the drive for CS$$$ to develop.
However, that does not mean that CS$$$ wouldn't employ R$, 62% of their workers will still be R$.

Quote from: sLurPPP on July 07, 2007, 03:48:21 PM
so occupance of the building doesn't determine C/I tax income?
how about residential? same rule? or determine by tax/head?

Yes, the same applies to all RCI buildings, the tax income is the tax rate (%) multiplied with the building value.
And since $$$ buildings always have a higher building value than $ buildings of the same size, they will generate more tax income (if the rate is the same).
Occupancy has no effect on the taxation.

HeinBloed4711

Sorry for digging out this somewhat dated thread, but I'd like to point you to my observation posted here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=8870.msg284035#msg284035. I'd be most grateful for someone confirming this.

sidneychan

Thanks for your great work! :thumbsup:
I just wonder know has anyone ever analyze the relationship between tax and demand? any quantitative relation?

It would be grateful if someone tell me any information about this~~

cogeo

Is there some way to find how R population affects CS demand? Looked into the RCI exemplars and these were all set to 0x64 (I guess this means 100%). This can't be the case, because R population would then generate demand for the same number of CS jobs, which in turn could support the double R population etc, etc, resulting in a system featuring "positive feedback", which makes it inherently unstable. So there must be some "factor" involved. Any idea where I could look into?

Lowkee33

Could you have been looking at the effect on desirability and not demand?  Seems like those types of variables exist, at least.

SC4BOY

Quote from: cogeo on October 13, 2010, 11:12:16 AM
This can't be the case, because R population would then generate demand for the same number of CS jobs, which in turn could support the double R population etc, etc, resulting in a system featuring "positive feedback", which makes it inherently

As I understand it the "double R" condition of the original CAM is the result of an accounting error, not an actual demand issue.

Lowkee33

Well I believe the Double Demand comes from having two sets of developer exemplars going, and therefore each sim gets counted twice when determining demand.  The demand is really doubled however, and can lead to unbalanced cities.

@Cogeo:  I see what you are talking about now.  These Instances appear to be the way SC4 figures out the maximum demand rather than increase the demand.  The trail I found starts in the Building Exemplar.  A random CS$ has a Capacity Satisfied value of 0x00003110, 0x0000000034.  The second value is the jobs, but that first value points to the Instance that you are talking about.  At that Instance %100 of that amount is added to 0x00023110, which is the Total CS amount.  Then that number is used by the TotalWorkforceEQ Instances mentioned in RippleJet's post.  I believe these are the drives for demand and finally where we see % values that are less than 100.  Perhaps these say "%X of the demand is driven" rather than saying "The demand has been driven %X more".

I feel like I may be one step short in the whole process though.  It is confusing that the instance you mentioned both "Satisfies" and "Contributes" the same %100 to the same variable.  I imagine it could be tested by lowering those amounts and seeing what effect that had on the BSC Regional Census.

z

Quote from: cogeo on October 13, 2010, 11:12:16 AM
Is there some way to find how R population affects CS demand?

All C & I demand is determined by the workforce drives, which can be found in the RCI exemplars, and which will contain the letters "WF", the word "Total", or both in their names.  The actual demand is controlled by the "Drives" property, which only occurs in the lowest level of these exemplars.

QuoteLooked into the RCI exemplars and these were all set to 0x64 (I guess this means 100%). This can't be the case, because R population would then generate demand for the same number of CS jobs, which in turn could support the double R population etc, etc, resulting in a system featuring "positive feedback", which makes it inherently unstable.

The 0x64 is a percentage, and it does mean 100%, but it means that 100% of that number contributes to the total for that category.  This can be very useful.  For example, if you want to create your own set of workforce drives using a separate file without creating double demand, you can do so by modifying a copy of the workforce drives to what you want, but changing the 0x64 to 0x32 in the process.  (In some places you need to add the "Contributes" property and remove the "Sums" property from the exemplar that totals them.)  This exactly counteracts the effect of adding the extra file, and makes it unnecessary to use a merged SimCity_1.dat for this purpose.

Quote from: Lowkee33 on October 14, 2010, 09:12:34 PM
I feel like I may be one step short in the whole process though.  It is confusing that the instance you mentioned both "Satisfies" and "Contributes" the same %100 to the same variable.

In this case, "Satisfies" and "Contributes" refer to different other properties, so you get different results depending on which one you alter.  The exact effect of these properties depends on the exemplar involved.  Also, you can add these properties to any of the RCI exemplars that don't have them, and they will work as I've described.

HappyDays

There is an error in the Workforce Drives table. R$ does not contribute towards I-HT demand at all. The 22% is applied towards I-M. This is easy to see in game if you create a region composed entirely of 150-200 EQ R$ residents; no demand will be generated for I-HT.

You can also verify this in exemplar 00022114 in SimCity_1.dat, which controls the workforce drives for 150-200 EQ R$ sims. The Drives property uses a 0x00024300 rep, which is for I-M, but doesn't have a rep for 0x00024400, which is for I-HT.

The error isn't in isolation. It found its way into the data table formulas for the Census Repository, so the drives numbers are off for I-M, I-HT, and the Industrial drives total.