• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

A new RHW bridge?  ;D

Stay tuned! Personal replies, along with a full update, are coming tomorrow  ;)

EDIT: I thought I'd better clarify that I've not actually created a new bridge in the traditional sense, but used creative methods with existing content to do this.

The good new is you can already do this yourself, using similar technology as the diagonal bridges. For these though, you'll need to use the ERHW-4 overrides instead of diagonal bridge overrides, and the bridge is two parallel sections of RHW.

Warning: Will not look good if placed to high above the water (my pylons are actually floating 2-3m above the water, but the shadow hides it well enough for my satisfaction)

art128

Oooh, nice bridge there, Noah! I would certainly want it!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

apeguy

I agree, it's a nice bridge. Simple but useful. :)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Battlecat

Elegant, simple and most importantly functional!  It looks great, can't wait to see what's next!

MandelSoft

I see what you did there  $%Grinno$%

You've been playing with the DBE, haven't you?
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Jmouse

Good idea, Noah. Dare I hope you will show us how you created the bridge. I like it because it looks realistic, and it looks realistic because of the simplicity of the design.

Looking forward to the next installment... :)
-Joan

mave94

Very nice region!  :thumbsup:
I like the RHW bridge.

jmdude1

i would also like to see how this was made. great work.  im sure youve seen this, but this might help with your floating pylons.

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26928-bridge-footing/

bat

Nice picture of that bridge!
Looking forward to more... ;)

noahclem

SIILIJOKI XVI
Crossing to Igelstadt Island

Hello and welcome back (or welcome) to Siilijoki! This update features the area along the branch of the Iijoki River dividing the core of Igelstadt from the area of Igelstadt Island.

First, I'll show the Igelstadt map again (area of focus is where 38th St and Ring Road I cross a branch of the river):

I haven't had a chance to update it since last time (it's a somewhat labor-intensive project), but the only thing is this area that's changed or is missing is a smaller canal shown in one of the images today. I'm hoping to expand my map to the entire Siilijoki region soon, but that's a project for another day....

The first picture is of the bridge at 38th St (looking south-southeast):

As you can see it sees quite a bit of traffic from cars, trams, and pedestrians. A proposal to ban freight traffic from the bridge is under consideration  ::)

Here's a view of the other side of the bridge:

And a medium zoom shot with central Igelstadt at bottom and Igelstadt Island at top:

Now a mosaic of the Ring Road I bridge, shown in the previous teaser (top is east-northeast):

The area at bottom is a distinct neighborhood from Central Igelstadt, separated by the Ring Road, and is mostly r
esidential.

The shoreline of Igelstadt Island between the two bridges:

In addition to the channels of the Iijoki River Igelstadt has a network of man-made canals, popular with recreational boaters. This picture is taken immediately south of the Ring Road bridge:

The Ring Road Bridge on a rainy day:

Igelstadt Island at night:

Finally, an overview of the area, facing west-southwest toward Central Igelstadt:

Thanks for viewing and don't forget to let me know what you think  ;)

REPLIES

Quote from: nbvc on September 27, 2011, 01:09:27 PM
Great work with your last updates. &apls
Thanks a lot nbvc!

Quote from: Girafe on September 27, 2011, 04:08:26 PM
These last pictures look really good  &apls &apls
Thanks Girafe! They're from the new RHW and diagonal bridge enabler readmes  ;)

Quote from: Skimbo on September 28, 2011, 03:19:22 AM
Like the teaser =)
Thanks Skimbo!

Quote from: Jmouse on September 28, 2011, 09:40:38 PM
Thanks for posting these photos, Noah. I like everything I see in Siilijoki. :) I even like your CBD and most of the time I don't care for them.

-Joan

Thanks for such kind words Joan! It's always a pleasure to have you posting around here  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Simcitler on September 28, 2011, 10:51:59 PM
Great work here again.  &apls
The diagonal intersection and the diagonal bridge looks convincing.

Hope to see more!  ;)

~Simcitler

Thanks a lot Simcitler and welcome to Siilijoki!

Quote from: ricardomiranda on September 29, 2011, 06:11:02 AM
This bridge is the diagonal of the new NAM? How did you install? Two great pictures!

Thanks! Yes that's a diagonal bridge from the new NAM. To use them you need to have the newest NAM and then temporarily install the diagonal bridge enabler. Tarkus offers a pretty good explanation in the Diagonal Bridge Enabler readme but if you still need help feel free to PM me and I'll try to help. They are a bit tricky  ;)

Quote from: art128 on November 03, 2011, 11:20:56 AM
Oooh, nice bridge there, Noah! I would certainly want it!
Thanks a lot Arthur! As I explained after your post it's not a bridge in the traditional sense but a trick I made. I think I'll post a quick tutorial on it here soon as there seems to be interest in it.

Quote from: apeguy on November 03, 2011, 01:18:17 PM
I agree, it's a nice bridge. Simple but useful. :)

Thanks apeguy! Tutorial soon  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Battlecat on November 03, 2011, 01:31:49 PM
Elegant, simple and most importantly functional!  It looks great, can't wait to see what's next!

Thank you, glad you like it! It's a pleasure to see you back in Siilijoki  :)

Quote from: mrtnrln on November 03, 2011, 02:33:52 PM
I see what you did there  $%Grinno$%

You've been playing with the DBE, haven't you?

Hehe, maybe  ::)  Thanks for the comment Maarten  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Jmouse on November 03, 2011, 03:59:44 PM
Good idea, Noah. Dare I hope you will show us how you created the bridge. I like it because it looks realistic, and it looks realistic because of the simplicity of the design.

Looking forward to the next installment... :)
-Joan

Thanks a lot Joan, glad you enjoyed the bridge! I think I'll take your suggestion and create a little tutorial for the bridge later  :)

Quote from: MrMAvE94 on November 04, 2011, 04:20:13 AM
Very nice region!  :thumbsup:
I like the RHW bridge.

Thanks very much and welcome to Siilijoki!

Quote from: jmdude1 on November 04, 2011, 04:50:37 AM
i would also like to see how this was made. great work.  im sure youve seen this, but this might help with your floating pylons.

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26928-bridge-footing/

Thanks jmdude1  :thumbsup:   Unfortunately having one of those bridge footings or every pylon of my bridge might mean too many pylons--it'd be perfect if it was a lot smaller. I appreciate the suggestion though and hope to see more of you around here!

Quote from: bat on November 04, 2011, 09:01:31 AM
Nice picture of that bridge!
Looking forward to more... ;)
Thanks a lot bat! Always appreciate you visiting  :thumbsup:

mattb325

Really nice, noachlem! &apls

You must loose quite a few bridges with the set sea-level option  :o ::), but the results look fantastic.

I really like those retaining walls with the solid concrete barrier do you know who made those?

Skimbo

The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

art128

Superb update, Noah! it's funny because the picture 7 remind me of an area in the suburbs of Lisbon, where there's a bridge just like this one passing over a nice canal near some residences. I also like the overview a lot.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

nbvc

Gugu3

Very nice update!!! &aplsHow did you create roads under the tram in road bridge?i'm very interested! :D
Good job!!

Kergelen

Wow! Great job with briges, prepo buildings, and small MMP job on the seawalls.
I like the live I see in the city!
The first images with the tram and the last overwiew are great!
I always enjoy your updates!  &apls &apls

Links to SC4 websites

mave94

I think it's great, because of the much open space. I also like the bridge with the tram on it.
The textures of the RHW-bridge and the avenue don't match exactly, but that's because of the short transition; just a detail ;)
Good job, noahclem!  :thumbsup:

Sciurus

Very nice update, I always like looking to your city, it's a real pleasure! :)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Ol.S / Benoit

Fantastic job here... really nice atmosphere.
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

Nanami

Nice update! Those bridges series looks very nice! I like mostly the RHW one. :thumbsup: