• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Why oh why...

Started by Wiimeiser, January 17, 2019, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

Do people not fill in all the boxes for lot sets?

For example, SimGoober's canals and the RPK. Where are the extenders? Do they predate extenders?

Then there's these three lots:

This is especially a problem with those latter two, since 1. there's two of them, and 2. the concrete versions don't end the waterfront like the wooden ones do.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

pressus

Maybe you should be interested in files from STEX> PLEX> CDK ?
I like "modern art", but red water is something like horror etc.  &mmm
Sorry guys, I'll be here next week, so good luck!

Wiimeiser

I think I already have all the CDK files...
It would be nice to fix the Marina Guest Services to continue the boardwalk instead of ending it...

So many more missing pieces in other sets, too. Like, why can I not intersect the MTP Logging Roads and MTP Trails? Why do I need to use the SPAR?

pressus

If you do not find something interesting on LEX, STEX, Simcity Plaza, China site or here https://seesaawiki.jp/w/masahiromirai/d/%a4%cf%a4%b8%e1%a1%c4%c4czc
it's probably anywhere ...
Sorry guys, I'll be here next week, so good luck!

mgb204

Quote from: Wiimeiser on January 17, 2019, 07:27:51 PM
Do people not fill in all the boxes for lot sets?

For example, SimGoober's canals and the RPK. Where are the extenders? Do they predate extenders?

Who's to say what constitutes a "full" set? As with many modular sets, there are always other additions that could be added. But you have to stop somewhere, otherwise these sets can get out of control. If you really want some extenders so bad, you can make them quite easily. Just take a copy of the base straight canal, give it a unique ID, then use model tweaker to move that copy by 16m (1 tile). Now it will overhang a lot so you can use them as extenders.

QuoteThis is especially a problem with those latter two, since 1. there's two of them, and 2. the concrete versions don't end the waterfront like the wooden ones do.

Right, but that's how the pieces were made, so you'll just have to work with what we've got. Yes, there is some inflexibility with the CDK sets, certain pieces end the walkway, others simply do not. But this was absolutely by design and due to the nature of the models, there really isn't any way around it.

Quote from: Wiimeiser on January 18, 2019, 03:08:27 AM
So many more missing pieces in other sets, too. Like, why can I not intersect the MTP Logging Roads and MTP Trails? Why do I need to use the SPAR?

Again, just look at how much content was produced by PEG Productions. Is every single possibility going to be covered in those releases?, I think that's asking a bit much. I guess either no one thought of it or felt such a transition was needed. Once more, this seems like a situation where with a little modding knowledge and some effort, you could quite easily make the piece you want. After all, it's probably not more complex than combining two textures into one, then creating a suitable lot to make it work.

Tyberius06

Wiimeiser.

Yes, the concrete version HAS end pieces.

Right END
Left END

Even the CDK Marina pieces have closing pieces, but those are not named like this.

PEG CDKM Marina
PEG CDKM Marina Docks
PEG CDKM Yacht Club - RIGHT END, it's only closing the marina pier pieces, NOT the upper boardwalk pieces.
PEG CDKM Sport Fishing - LEFT END, it's only closing the marina pier pieces, NOT the upper boardwalk pieces.

However I don't know the older CDK piece because I've never used the older stuffs from PEG. As far as I know these don't have extenders, but it might change in the future. I had plans with extender pieces for the Heretic SeaPort Project (which is based on the PEG CDK3 and CDK3-SP sets), but that would have required modifying a bunch of s3d files of the models, which is a quite sensitive area apparently for many of the BATters... Same applies probably for the SG canal set, which if didn't have extender pieces it would require model tweaking on the existing straight canal models/props.

QuoteIt would be nice to fix the Marina Guest Services to continue the boardwalk instead of ending it...

LOT Editor but even better with PIM-X? You do know it, don't you? You can modify the lot or create new lots. You have all the props and textures among the dependencies to make custom lots. I did the same when I made the Heretic SeaPorts. I missed a bunch of stuffs from the PEG CDK3 sets, and I wasn't satisfied with the used rail tracks by him, and fortunatelly Simmer2 released his RRW No Sleeper overlays... Also I wanted to make my seaports texture compatible with T Wrecks IRM... These little things led me to make the whole Heretic SeaPort Project with its 150+ LOTs. And eventually it will might be a separate industrial-ish/seaport-ish mod similiar to the IRM itself, just not with growables for obvious reasons. Who knows?

I had even plans to update the PEG CDKM (marina) and OWW2 sets, maybe expand the set eventually, but lack of time and currently lack of motivation. When I make LOTs I usually make them because I NEED that type of lots, like the GLR stations or recently the urban rail stations.

But to answere the first question, nope, they fill only those boxes what they need mostly. For example Cal made extender pieces for the Remastered SG-CAL canals, but he didn't make it for his stone canals. He released the raw model files for the Remastered set, so MGB was able to make the diagonal expansion, but CAL hasn't released the raw models for the stone canals, therefore we won't be able to do diagonals for that set. We don't have nice canal bridges for the Remastered SG-CAL set, but we have multiple different bridges for the stone canal set... My biggest issue with the SG-CAL set, that the bridge pieces are unrealistic nothing would have been able to pass through underneath those bridges, however the stone canal set has nice bridges which look to let boats or ships pass through underneath the bridges. But these two set are not compatible with each other.

But at least you free to relot sets or make expansions putting your ideas into them.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Wiimeiser

Quote from: mgb204 on January 18, 2019, 04:10:15 AM
Who's to say what constitutes a "full" set? As with many modular sets, there are always other additions that could be added. But you have to stop somewhere, otherwise these sets can get out of control. If you really want some extenders so bad, you can make them quite easily. Just take a copy of the base straight canal, give it a unique ID, then use model tweaker to move that copy by 16m (1 tile). Now it will overhang a lot so you can use them as extenders.

You're right, what constitutes a "full set" doesn't really seem to have a standard, so it's up to the lot creator.

Right, but that's how the pieces were made, so you'll just have to work with what we've got. Yes, there is some inflexibility with the CDK sets, certain pieces end the walkway, others simply do not. But this was absolutely by design and due to the nature of the models, there really isn't any way around it.

For the OWW1 pieces there's actually a pier piece that doesn't terminate, used for the City Pier lot. I might see if that works...

Again, just look at how much content was produced by PEG Productions. Is every single possibility going to be covered in those releases?, I think that's asking a bit much. I guess either no one thought of it or felt such a transition was needed. Once more, this seems like a situation where with a little modding knowledge and some effort, you could quite easily make the piece you want. After all, it's probably not more complex than combining two textures into one, then creating a suitable lot to make it work.

I'll have to look at the MTP textures and see how they fit together. Now, if I could figure out PIM-X...

Quote from: Tyberius06 on January 18, 2019, 04:18:34 AM
Wiimeiser.

Yes, the concrete version HAS end pieces.

Right END
Left END

Even the CDK Marina pieces have closing pieces, but those are not named like this.

PEG CDKM Marina
PEG CDKM Marina Docks
PEG CDKM Yacht Club - RIGHT END, it's only closing the marina pier pieces, NOT the upper boardwalk pieces.
PEG CDKM Sport Fishing - LEFT END, it's only closing the marina pier pieces, NOT the upper boardwalk pieces.

I do have those end pieces already. And it's the boat ramp and guest services that are the alternate end pieces.

mgb204

Quote from: Wiimeiser on January 18, 2019, 02:48:31 PM
For the OWW1 pieces there's actually a pier piece that doesn't terminate, used for the City Pier lot. I might see if that works...

Just bear in mind that most of these CDK models are not modular in nature, but typically a single BAT. This does make them less flexible, but I can see why it was probably necessary from a technical standpoint. That said though, a little bit on ingenuity can often help find a solution to such problems, perhaps using other models.

Quote from: WiimeiserI'll have to look at the MTP textures and see how they fit together. Now, if I could figure out PIM-X...

There is a manual which takes you through a number of step by step examples. Otherwise if you are familiar with SC4 PIM and the LE, there are a lot of similarities. But it's much, much easier to work with PIM-X once you get the hang of things. If you get that far and a custom texture or two, give me a shout and I can help if need be.

Wiimeiser

Quote from: mgb204 on January 19, 2019, 12:30:44 AM
Just bear in mind that most of these CDK models are not modular in nature, but typically a single BAT. This does make them less flexible, but I can see why it was probably necessary from a technical standpoint. That said though, a little bit on ingenuity can often help find a solution to such problems, perhaps using other models.
That could be a bit of a problem... According to DataNode there are 54 "lot object"s but I'm also missing all but three of the dependencies (the three I have are building exemplar 6534284A-07BDDF1C-5410DE51, Ltext 2026960B-8A3858D8-5410DE51, and >>exemplar 6534284A-A8FBD372-5410DE51) (Though that might just be DataNode acting up) so I'm not sure how it's even assembled... Though at least the parking/concrete section should be modular, so there's that...

Also, it's in a .dat, so that might complicate things...

mgb204

Datanode will either scan your entire environment or simply those files/folders you specify. Assuming you are using the latter method, it will report dependencies as missing if they are not within the locations being scanned. I suspect that is the problem, but a simple test in-game or with the LE should be sufficient to see if you have most of them or not.

People bemoan about DAT files, but there any many perfectly good reasons why modders use them. Making use of the models inside them should not be any problem. Of course the Maxis tools are very picky about loading some files, but PIM-X doesn't care and will even allow saving of files within a DAT. Honestly, you are making life harder than need be if you are a PIM-X refusenik IMHO.

The real point I was making though is that PEG content, especially the CDK stuff, tends to be big single-piece models. Not modular BATs than you can then re-arrange using the LE. As such, you will be limited by whatever individual pieces you can find within the CDK content.

Wiimeiser

I am going in expecting the Guest Services to have a grand total of about six objects (four parking pieces, the building itself, and the boat), but I seem to be missing a vital dll file required to get PIM-X to work...

mgb204

Getting the right DLL files installed is a pretty common problem, those you need are:

• GLU32.dll
  • GLUT32.dll
  • GDIPLUS.dll
  • MSVCP71.DLL

However there are a few caveats, firstly that most such files were never officially intended to be distributed as stand-alone files. But more importantly, that in order for the application to see them, they need to be stored in a system folder and Windows needs to be setup so applications know to look there.

The simplest solution is to search your hard disk for each of the mentioned .dll files. Most likely you already have them, they are just in the wrong place. If you find them, copy (not move) each to the installation folder of PIM-X. If you find any still missing, let us know which and we can help you to find them.

Wiimeiser

It works now, and yes, in the resources the entire thing is just one model (Three actually: the pier, the boat, and everything else). In fact, the only marina buildings to be more divided up are the Yacht Club and Sport Fishing...

Though the parking/concrete section is the more important part anyway if one wants to continue the waterfront, even with the railing the boardwalk still sits roughly flush with it. Maybe with the boat ramp...

Now I just need to figure out how to transition the BSC Waterfronts and Cnut's Waterfronts...

Wiimeiser

It's stopped working, I just get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 3454, in OnClose
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 3457, in ShowMain
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 2798, in __init__
pywintypes.error: (2, 'RegOpenKeyEx', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

All the dll files are there... What's going on this time?

EDIT: Tuns out I have to run as administrator. So it works. But did I just destroy the PEG Subterranean Mall?