• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Empire Bay: Green Meadows

Started by RickD, February 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbvc

Fantastic work. This harbor is getting better and better every time. &apls

noahclem

Great night shots and I love the harbor's new look  &apls

ladybug

&apls The last two updates are very good! Very good your planning of roads and night shots, wonderful!  :thumbsup:

mave94

WannGLondon

Quote from: sc-4 on May 04, 2012, 12:09:22 PM
The night shots are just great , and I really like your harbor , it got a very good organization!
I agree completely, Empire Bay is so organized and I think that's the way it should be with any city. I especially love the first night shot, really displays that 'small-town/city' feel. Great work.
Call me Warren.

marsh

Amazing work. I'm almost speechless. You've utilized custom content in such a way that it feels like this is sim city. I feel like this is what and how SC4 should have been.

MTT9

I'll have to second marsh's comment here. Your city looks awesome, and your story makes so much sense i feel it can't be any other way... However, i wouldn't mind that, once the administration gives place to some other government and lots of migration, makes room for a chaotic city... Maybe i'm thinking way to much time ahead.
You can call me Matt

Kergelen

Great port.

I like how you combine the different custom content and the rail system.

You put the MMP in a good use in the dock construction &apls

Links to SC4 websites

Schulmanator

Nice work. You capture the feel of it well.  &apls
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

RickD

The Great Fire

Empire Bay. May, 11th 1922:

One unlucky fellow by the name of Nero Phoenix spent the evening drinking at Murphy's Bar.

He staggered home at around midnight to sleep the sleep of the drunk. In his intoxicated state he had forgotten to put out the candle on the living room table. From here the disaster took its course.

It can only be assumed that it was the cat that must have tripped the candle over. The table cloth caught fire which then, within minutes, spread through the wooden house. Poor Nero died of carbon monoxide poisoning while asleep before he could call for help.

The fire spread quickly, fed by strong east winds blowing in from the sea. Several neighboring houses were ablaze before alarm could be raised.

The pastor rang the church bells furiously to wake and warn the people. But Empire Bay had no professional firefighters who could have answered the desperate cry for help.

So it was up to the dock workers to fight the blast. The brave men did their best. ... It was futile. They never had a chance with only four diesel pumps and seawater. The hoses weren't even long enough to reach into the town center.

The fire raged the whole night and the following day. Then, in the evening hours, the flames could be tamed at last. When the smoke cleared, the devastation became visible. Almost the whole town burned down to the ground. 446 people died, thousands have lost their homes.

Next on Empire Bay:
Empire Bay raises from the ashes, bigger and better than ever before.

Replies:
sc-4, nbvc, noahclem, ladybug, MrMAvE94, marsh, Kergelen, Schulmanator:
I didn't expect so many comments on this little update. Thank you so much.

Quote from: WannGLondon on May 05, 2012, 08:55:03 AM
Quote from: sc-4 on May 04, 2012, 12:09:22 PM
The night shots are just great , and I really like your harbor , it got a very good organization!
I agree completely, Empire Bay is so organized and I think that's the way it should be with any city. I especially love the first night shot, really displays that 'small-town/city' feel. Great work.
Well, I like it organized. I am fascinated by the American approach on city planning for that matter.

Quote from: emmotic on May 05, 2012, 11:03:48 AM
I'll have to second marsh's comment here. Your city looks awesome, and your story makes so much sense i feel it can't be any other way... However, i wouldn't mind that, once the administration gives place to some other government and lots of migration, makes room for a chaotic city... Maybe i'm thinking way to much time ahead.
I probably have to disappoint you then. My city will never be chaotic when it comes to the road grid and general layout. I have a strange affection to geometrical conformity.  ::) On the other hand, I enjoy breaking the conformity from time to time, which will be inevitable when freeways and mass transit arrive. I also have planned to implement things like immigration, gentrification, industrial boom and decline, and social conflicts into the storyline somehow. This will certainly cause some chaos. ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

turtle

Hi Raphael,

I'm sorry that I didn't comment here before, as I really liked Santa Barbara, and have lurked here from the start.

What a great update you have for us today! It really falls in line with your new narrative approach and makes it interesting to follow for the reader. What can I say - I like your style, both in planning/building your cities as well as in your narrative.

I look forward to see Empire Bay rise again.
My name is Thomas...

noahclem

Nice work  &apls  I look forward to seeing the rebuilding  :thumbsup:

art128

Excellent work with this update. Though the events are not so wonderful.

I look forward to see the rebuilding of the area.

-Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

apeguy

Interesting update, I look forward to seeing the town rebuilt. ;D I hope the first thing to rise from the ashes is a fire station. ;)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

WannGLondon

Very interesting update, loved the story. It reminds me of the fires that went on in Chicago and London a long time ago and the massive rebuilding effort that went on after the fires subsided. I wonder what your rebuilding effort will look like.  :D
Call me Warren.

kelis

Well done with this update my friend !! In the real life this would be a catastrophe but in the game it is interesting to see, great job as always and keep up the good work  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

io_bg

Nice update, sometimes starting off from scratch is best. I look forward to seeing the rebuilding!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

sc-4

Very good Update there  !

I will look forward for the rebuiding.

Call me Ludo

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:
The Great Fire of 1922 has destroyed most of Empire Bay. But the brave people never gave up and started rebuilding their town the same day.

From The Ashes

Several years after the Great Fire.

The town has been rebuilt - bigger and better than ever before. But the wounds the catastrophe left on the peoples souls don't heal so fast. May 11th is still a day of mourning in Empire Bay.

The fire occured in an economic boom due to the harbor and the railroad. The destroyed wooden buildings were quickly replaced by stone ones.
A lot has changed but some remains of the old town from before the fire can still be discovered.

Parts of the industrial docks along Harbor Road and Seaside Road have been converted to recreational areas.

Here is the intersection of Murphy Street (top - bottom) with Dock Road (left - right).
Murphy's Bar has not been rebuilt. On its place is now a fire station, home to EBFD Ladder 1. The Empire Bay Fire Department has been founded right after the great fire.

There are a lot of other bars and theaters along Dock Road now. It is still the center of nightlife.

The new church is the most impressive building in town. Former Main Street has been widened to a boulevard and renamed "Empire Avenue".

The area at night.

Filmore Hall has been rebuilt. Its stone facade has survived the fire but the interior was completely destroyed.

Filmore Park, once merely a small patch of green, is now much bigger. Don't get fooled by the fence. The park is open to the public between 6am and 10pm.

Broadway is a central north/south arterial in the FUSS grid plan (see Update 9). The picture shows the intersection with Empire Avenue.
The development plan envisions Broadway as the city's most representative boulevard. It shall be designed to be a pleasure to the eye and a proud symbol for Empire Bay's prosperous future.

Broadway begins here at the former Seaside Road Ferry Terminal which is now commonly called "The Broadway Ferry". Its official designation "Pier 3" is much less glamorous, though.

The E&K Railroad Station at Broadway has survived the fire.

The night has come but Empire Bay never sleeps. The harbor with its warehouses and industry is the heartbeat of the city.

Having recovered from the disastrous blow of fate, Empire Bay is now looking forward into an exciting future.

Next on Empire Bay:
We will take a closer look at the new waterfront.

Replies:

noahclem, art128, kelis, io_bg, sc-4:
Thank you very much. I hope you like the rebuilt town.

Quote from: turtle on May 11, 2012, 03:01:25 AM
Hi Raphael,

I'm sorry that I didn't comment here before, as I really liked Santa Barbara, and have lurked here from the start.

What a great update you have for us today! It really falls in line with your new narrative approach and makes it interesting to follow for the reader. What can I say - I like your style, both in planning/building your cities as well as in your narrative.

I look forward to see Empire Bay rise again.
It is great to see you here. :) Glad you like it.

Quote from: apeguy on May 11, 2012, 10:01:17 AM
Interesting update, I look forward to seeing the town rebuilt. ;D I hope the first thing to rise from the ashes is a fire station. ;)
I hope you approve the new firestation. ;)

Quote from: WannGLondon on May 11, 2012, 01:58:44 PM
Very interesting update, loved the story. It reminds me of the fires that went on in Chicago and London a long time ago and the massive rebuilding effort that went on after the fires subsided. I wonder what your rebuilding effort will look like.  :D
Yes, I did some reading about these events. ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Nice work with the reconstruction works, Raphael!

The new layout of the town is excellent, I like it very much. The new recreational docks are a great addition, and will help the citizens to focus on their lives, instead of thinking too much about the fire.

The two area around both the city hall and the church are well made too.

Can't wait to see this city grows to a modern 50' city just like in Mafia II.  $%Grinno$%  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog