• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Blackwater (with Islas Gemas)

Started by emilin, January 25, 2007, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

figui

nice update.
the harbour looks great, despite its entrance seems to be too narrow for that boat. the industries next to the harbour are great too, and yes: where did you get those car haulers from?
i agree that palace fits well there, but have no ideas or suggestions for the moment.. %confuso
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Heblem

excellent work emilin...

yeah this has a different looking looks more like internationalized, i mean some places looks european, others arabian, latinamerican and american... hehe  ;D

I suggest u to give us a specific view of your city or region, i mean what u want us to understand about your MD, is theres anything special that we should know?  ;) hopw to understand

take care

thundercrack83

Excellent update, my friend! As usual, your ports are spectacular! As for the palace building, maybe it can be an opera house or a "gift from the Ottoman Empire," or something, since your said it looked "Ottoman"-ish! Either way, great work!

Yoman

A very enjoyable update :), I love how the port dominates the city scape, no fancy waterfront :P

As for the Ottoman building...hmm, a Muslim Building of some sort built by settlers from Africa?

bat

Wonderful new update there, emilin! Great work on Bahía Roja! :thumbsup:

NikNik

The Ottoman building is built by a slightly insane Ottomanian tradesman called Musharraf al-nuk or in Arabic: صاروخ; صاروخ الألعاب الناريه; صاروخ فضاء
He was a great visioneer as well as a wealthy slave trader. Back in the early 19th century He dreamt of building a huge rocket which could fly him to the moon and stars beyond. For use as a lauch platform he build this quaint looking building. You can see the first step of the rocket; the top, which now serves as a dome. Somehow Musharraf al-nuk became one of the big inspirors of Jules Verne, but that's a whole other story.

Poor Musharraf never came to fullfilling his dream as he tripped overboard one of his slave vessels while inspecting it, never to bee seen in the dark waters around Bahía Roja. This also heralded the demise of the trade industry from Bahía Roja.

The building is now open to the public exhibitioning the history of the slave trade and the private collection of over 351 left-sided sandals of Musharraf al-nuk.
Believe it or not, it is the truth.  ;)

Great update. Thanks for the zoomed pic of the docks for the cruise ship.
I also agree totally with patfirefghtr those car haulers are great!
The use of Peg barges is interesting and very well done.
I like that Shell station, it fits perfectly.

Stunning update, Emil.

Nik-Nik

kimcar

&apls &apls Another update to enjoy. Really great work on this one. :thumbsup:

emilin

Quote from: NikNik on October 09, 2007, 07:42:07 AM
The Ottoman building is built by a slightly insane Ottomanian tradesman called Musharraf al-nuk or in Arabic: صاروخ; صاروخ الألعاب الناريه; صاروخ فضاء
He was a great visioneer as well as a wealthy slave trader. Back in the early 19th century He dreamt of building a huge rocket which could fly him to the moon and stars beyond. For use as a lauch platform he build this quaint looking building. You can see the first step of the rocket; the top, which now serves as a dome. Somehow Musharraf al-nuk became one of the big inspirors of Jules Verne, but that's a whole other story.

Poor Musharraf never came to fullfilling his dream as he tripped overboard one of his slave vessels while inspecting it, never to bee seen in the dark waters around Bahía Roja. This also heralded the demise of the trade industry from Bahía Roja.

The building is now open to the public exhibitioning the history of the slave trade and the private collection of over 351 left-sided sandals of Musharraf al-nuk.
Believe it or not, it is the truth.  ;)

:D :D :D

This is a wonderful tale. It fits nicely into the general atmosphere of Islas Gemas, I think. I will be more than happy to use it. A few things will probably need some extra thinking though. I love the Arabic name (took me awhile to figure out, but I have a work mate who speak Arabic, so I finally got the joke ;D), but the main language in the Ottoman empire seems to have been Ottomanish Turkisk and not Arabic, and it's not nearly as easy to find someone who speaks THAT language ???.

The other thing is the slave trading part: even though the Ottoman Empire during a long time depended highly on slave trade, the bussiness was in steep decline during the 19th Century. Also, the Ottoman slave trade was mostly about kidnapping Europeans and shipping them to North African and Middleeastern countries - not shipping kidnapped Africans to America. I think that the Spanish queen might have had a thing or two to say about Musharrafs bussiness in her own colony. ;D

But, none of these things make the history impossible... just a few quirks that needs to be explained for it to work, so I'm keeping it as it is, and might add a few notes later on.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

rooker1

Very nice update.  I still can't get over the feeling I get when I look at this isalnd of yours.  The map itself looks amazing and the way you are building on it looks perfect.  Everything seems to be placed very well.  Your port look perfect as usual.  The gas station is a nice touch.  I need to find some good plopable ones.  Any suggestions.  I also like the piece of history from NikNik, I hope you can work it in.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Berethor

Nice development of this port!. I really like it.   &apls
And the landscape of the islands are excellent as always!
Great work   :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ MallowTheCloud ♦ HabLeUrG ♦ moganite ♦ Mr Food11 ♦ jplumbley ♦ Vandy ♦ wouanagaine

nova vesfalo

the seaport is simple but effective ! love it ! (like the little district of house at the left too). Your work is really inspirative to me.

emilin

Personal replies:

patfirefghtr: Thanks! I don't remember wher I got the car haulers, sadly. It's some sort of timed prop, that's all I know.

Schulmanator: Thank you so much!

figui: Thank you! And even though harbours tend to have pretty tight fits, I think you are right. It doesn't look possible to enter for that ship. As you may notice in this update I have now fixed that.

Heblem: Thanks! The reason for the internationalized look is probably most due to the fact that I don't like to repeat myself. I am trying to get a specific look for every area, and in the end I'm starting to run out of "spanish" BAT:s by now. ;D

thundercrack83: Thank you! A good suggestion, but for now I am sticking with the crazy rocket scientist idea, I think.

Yoman: Thanks a bunch!

bat: Thank you!

NikNik: I already commented on that, but thank you for an excellent contribution to Islas Gemas. &apls

kimcar: Thanks!

rooker1: Thanks! I'm glad you liked the gas station too. I try to remember to put such services in many locations. It's easy to forget since it's not an inbuilt feature of the game, but people will certainly need gas for their cars.

Berethor: Thank you!

nova vesfalo: Thanks a lot! It is rather simple isn't it? Well, just goes to show that it's not alwyas the number of props that decide how realistic something looks.

The rest of Bahía Roja - and the Rubí Airport

Thank you for your patience, people. It's been slow between the last updates, and this is probably the speed they are going to come in the weeks to come too. I do have some real life issues to deal with (mostly too much work) but the that is not the main reason for my lazyness. I simply need to pace myself a little to enjoy the game more. I don't really feel like playing several hours a day right now, but I still want to continue the development of Islas Gemas and I will try to do so.

This time we roundup Bahía Roja and also have a look at the international airport on the same island. It is much smaller than the Zafiro airport, but I think it does have a certain charm of it's own. The runway is short (about 1.250 meters) but as far as I have been able to figure out it should still be good for landing on for regular traffic. Any airport nerds out there that could verify this?

I have also fixed the entrance to the port (as seen in the first picture) so that the ship by the quay can actually fit through it. ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

rooker1

Another supe update my friend.  I saw my gas station again  ;) . I like the mix of residentail lots.  I may not want to use some of them, but I think you have put very good use to them.  I really like the lot full of garbage, very dirty.  And what is that I see, a park right beside it.  Those bad people should be caught  :D . Your small airport looks like the perfect size for this small island.  Great job over all. I love to visit this MD all time.

&apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

urban

simply beautiful! I love the port, and teh city and all those bats and how they are used so well!

I know, that Princess Juliana Airport on St. martin has a runway, that is about 2.000meteres, wich is barely enough for heavy jets. 1250meters is maybe enough for smaller private flights or connections flights &Thk/(

Well anyway, can you tell me, where you found those smaller houses in green , yellow and the poorer brown ones??

probably the best tropical forests Pat Riot
the jungle and the seaside resorts are looking spectacular kwakelaar
such stunning and natural tropical sceneries iamgoingtoeatyou
Walker's Island

bat

Next great update there! Wonderful pictures of that airport! Also the others are looking good! :thumbsup:

panthersimcity4

First time in here, So beautiful!!  ;D So inspiring, too!

thundercrack83

Wow, the airport looks great, my friend! I find them very hard to make because I never know where to start! But you've pulled it off flawlessly, and I won't expect anything less!

Badsim

Hello emilin ,

Great update , a pleasure to see again your skill for seaports at work ...and the airport is amazing , shaped like an aircraft carrier  ! An apt symbol for an airport on an island ... :thumbsup:

I love too these repetitive homes with just a few details to discern them ... so common places in RL .

Don't worry about your updates , we've all this kind of cycle , needing sometimes to take some distance ... ::)

&apls &apls &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Shadow Assassin

Very nice airport, but realistically, there shouldn't be trees on the grass between the runway and the taxiway. What happens if a plane loses control and crashes into those trees? :P

I like the suburban shanty-towns or whatever they're called, they really add to the ambience of the region. That sense of sameness in the richer suburban areas is well... realistic. :P

I like it.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

kimcar

&apls Nice airport . I like the zone where you put it .   :thumbsup: Have fun.