• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Blackwater (with Islas Gemas)

Started by emilin, January 25, 2007, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

I love the tutorial, emilin! It makes it look a lot easier. Those Lot Editor tasks always seem a bit daunting for me, but you've definitely helped me move closer to the water. One of these days, I'll dive in! Also, your ploppable water stream looks good, even though you said you're "semi-happy" with it. I love the waterfalls. Keep up the good work!

petercintn

I agree with everything Thundercrack says.  Plus, I don't know how to say it right, though, your work comes out so natural.  Patience is a virtue and I have none, because you got it all.  And it shows.   &apls 
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

Fred_Ginger

Well, I don't have to say anything because Thundercrack took the words right out of my mouth again, and my additional thoughts were covered by Petercintn!  One of these days I'll get here first! :thumbsup:
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

HabLeUrG

Wow, nice beach traffic  :thumbsup: &apls  you could make unpaved roads through the beach, with some flora around, imagine would be awesome to see a car transiting trough it   ;)

Cali

your work with the lot editor is amazing, i love the pics, great work. :thumbsup:
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Zaphod

wow this is cool, you have all the perfect BAT's for this

..including many I havent seen before. Guess I need to look harder
War Kittens !?

dedgren

...can you say, "all-terrain delivery truck?"

Great mini-tutorial, Emil- great pics, great continuation of the conceptual approach and attention to detail that has made IG such a pleasure to visit.  I really like air terminal.  Up to about three years ago, Anchorage had one of those- different parts built at different times under different circumstances- it looked like a string of buildings some giant had just mooshed together with its hands.  Now we have a multi-bazillion dollar renovation and "Senator Ted Stevens International Airport" looks just like its counterpart in Des Moines.  Such is progress...

And, did I say you're a Plop Water God, too?  A little time spent does more than just overcome the limitations of what we have to work with- it actually turns them to our advantage because we are forced to think about what we are doing every step instead of just rushing ahead to what's next.  Bravo!

So, back to look at the pics again- always a pleasure to comment here.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

pvarcoe

Emilin, you have a wonderful eye for color.

As I skim back through this diary for the umpteenth time, I am struck by the use of color.
From the terrain mod to the building choices, you have used all the tools at hand to create a beautiful diary.
Can't wait for more.

Phil

emilin

Dedication: DebussyMan - for making an abundance of beautiful hispanic BAT:s. I would never have attempted to make this region if they weren't available.

[Note on dedications: I thought it would be nice to dedicate each update to some member of the SC4 community that has had an influence on the creation of this MD in big or small ways. It's just my way of saying thanks!]

Personal replies:

kwakelaar: Thanks! I'm still not sure about the textures, and I have discovered more strange texture issues lately. It's probably something about conflicting id:s, but I don't know how to look for that. Hopefully I will figure it out soon.

thundercrack83: Thank you! Just don't look to closely at those that waterfall though... hehe...

petercintn: Thank you! That's really kind. I almost always feel like nothing comes naturally - it's a constant struggle to make the game do what I want it to do. When you think about it, it's essentially flawed in the way it does things, but for some reason some of us just can't stop playing it. :)

Fred_Ginger: Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed the update, and I certainly hope to see you in Islas Gemas again, first to comment or not. :)

HabLeUrG: Thanks! I think I'm probably going to change the texture colours slightly and make desert roads from them.

Cali: Thank you!

Zaphod: Thanks! And now I have even more of them, since HabLeUrg posted his link to that Mexican SC4 site. I found at least 10-20 BAT:s not seen on english sites over there (though I only downloaded 5-6, since those were the ones I needed).

dedgren: Thanks for visiting and some very kind comments! I'm really pleased that you said that about the terminal. That is exactly what I was aiming for - an older terminal, probably built in the 1950s, and then expanded in the 1970s something. Now I just have to figure out a way to explain why there are japanese letters on the walls, hehe...

pvarcoe: Thank you! That was some really interesting input, actually. I didn't really think about the colours when I started this out, but I guess that is a big part of the look after all. I basically chose the terrain and other stuff to fit the BAT:s, and they are very colourful.

Juaníta

First out I want to appologize for not taking the time to read and comment on all the other work exhibited here that I usually like to do. I promise to get around to that tomorrow when I have more time.

This will be a rather picture intensive update. Not much to say about them. Juaníta is the smaller "twin town" of Puerto Rico and the towns are almost fully integrated with eachother these days. In the middle of Juaníta stands an old monastery, famous for the liceur (liquer? - I don't know the english word... it's "sweet spirits") distilled from Eucalyptus. Most people think it tastes terrible, but it is said to have all sorts of good impact on your health.

Besides from the monastery it's a pretty common mid size Islas Gemas community, with the usual amount of tourist activity and some nice beaches.

On to the pictures:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

M4346

Wow!  :o

Yet another great update Emilin!  &apls &apls

And if you don't mind me asking... Where can I get this sexy gorgeous building?!  ()what()

Keep up the good work my friend! I'll be watching out for more!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

kwakelaar

Great update, I really am starting to enjoy this MD of yours. I like the colors, the buildings, the flora and how you put everything together. You are using quite a few BATs I don't know or rarely see.
Waterfront and beach are very nice.
I don't like the Maxis farm much that you have grown in this landscape, to me it is too North-American. I would rather go with Mickebears farms, they would fit very well I think.

Rayden

Great update emilin, love those colourful houses by the beach line  :thumbsup:
And those rowhomes with clothes drying on the terraces, very nice and familiar ;)

emilin

Quote from: kwakelaar on February 22, 2007, 02:33:55 PM
I don't like the Maxis farm much that you have grown in this landscape, to me it is too North-American. I would rather go with Mickebears farms, they would fit very well I think.

I totally agree about the farms. If I had planned for more farmlands I would have downloaded some NoMaxis-ones but there are so few spots of suitable land for that in this region that I didn't bother with it. But you are right, they look a little out of place.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

Fantastic update and great pictures!  :thumbsup: &apls

thundercrack83

Nice update! Juaníta looks fantastic, more great use of the ploppable water, and I love the "resort town" feel you've created with the beach and the multi-colored houses. Keep up the good work!

sebes

You have done a great job Emilin. The coloured houses give it a very special sphere... I wish I could fly to your isles now and enjoy the relaxing spirit ! :satisfied:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

CabraBuitre

AS you know, I love the brightly colored Mexican houses too...  I really like how you've used a terrain mod that is a bit less commonly seen in MD's... It really gives the cities a much warmer feel!  Keep up the great work!!!!

Check out Abelfarei!

DebussyMan

Oh, that's so nice! thanks for the dedication &hlp

The pics are great and this is a very unique MD, can't wait to see what else you've got for us :)

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

petercintn

Quote from: emilin on February 22, 2007, 01:15:29 PM

Don't you just hate people who do this!  The barn?  Linkie please.

I do love the houses and everything.  This is very unique!
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

threestooges

Believe it or not, that is actually a Maxis in-game farm (as I have seen from my experience) and it appears to have some mayor mode trees plopped around it. On that note: great stuff. Good details of things both small (boats, small stops along the road) and large (cities, etc).